Prev_page Previous 1
Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 04:36 PM CST
Had a conversation with staff once where someone said they had tossed me a "roleplay hook".

What is it and how do you recognize one being thrown your way?

Also if this is inappropriate conversation for the forums please let me know, I just figured if I had no idea there had to be more who would also be ignorant.

Thank you!
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 04:54 PM CST
>>Had a conversation with staff once where someone said they had tossed me a "roleplay hook".

>>What is it and how do you recognize one being thrown your way?

A roleplay hook is when in-game messaging is indicating that something is happening, in particular a roleplay opportunity.

You recognize one being thrown your way by paying attention to the game. This isn't me saying you're not paying attention; it's just literally all you have to do to realize an event is going on.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 05:20 PM CST

> A roleplay hook is when in-game messaging is indicating that something is happening, in particular a roleplay opportunity.

Odd. Is there a way for GMs to highlight these? I think I had one on my cleric once, but I just assumed it was ambient messaging. It wasn't until I checked my logs later that I discovered it was new text.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 05:32 PM CST
In-game messaging is just one way. A lot of the times you will also notice NPCs log in and its pretty noticeable, and if you don't know who that NPC is, a lot of times you can look up their name on Elanthipedia. You can check the calendar which has the occasional RP event/meeting. Also, you can check DR's Twitter. Just make an account (you don't need to use it of course), follow their Twitter and you can even set up notifications every time they tweet so you don't miss out on anything. Hope that helps.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 05:41 PM CST
>>Odd. Is there a way for GMs to highlight these?

It's normally pretty obvious.

>>I think I had one on my cleric once, but I just assumed it was ambient messaging. It wasn't until I checked my logs later that I discovered it was new text.

The worst case scenario in situations where you respond to ambient text is that you're getting good passive practice for character development.

>>In-game messaging is just one way. A lot of the times you will also notice NPCs log in and its pretty noticeable, and if you don't know who that NPC is, a lot of times you can look up their name on Elanthipedia. You can check the calendar which has the occasional RP event/meeting. Also, you can check DR's Twitter. Just make an account (you don't need to use it of course), follow their Twitter and you can even set up notifications every time they tweet so you don't miss out on anything. Hope that helps.

These are good indicators of any event happening somewhere, and definitely worth paying attention to, but I'm not sure if I would personally view them as roleplay hooks for a specific player/group.

As a personal example, my lil Gnome Necro once had a certain-not-great Necromancer try to psychically assault her. To me, that's a "roleplay hook" more than seeing "X logged in"

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 05:45 PM CST
Try to make responding to ambient messaging a habit. It's good practice and you'll catch things that weren't ambient from time to time.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 05:46 PM CST
>>Try to make responding to ambient messaging a habit. It's good practice and you'll catch things that weren't ambient from time to time.

I yell at the critters trying to run away during all those catch the critter games. It makes poking at an RNG 1000% more fun.

Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 09:40 PM CST
>Try to make responding to ambient messaging a habit. It's good practice and you'll catch things that weren't ambient from time to time.

I find the game is just a lot more enjoyable if I'm talking to it, as it were. And occasionally someone steps out of hiding and we have a chuckle over something.

"Warrior Mages don't bother covering up their disasters.

They're proud of them."
-Raesh
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/08/2017 11:09 PM CST
In general, if I'm doing a roleplay hook, it will be something subtle.

It will be related to something you're near - probably doing something that seems natural but just isn't something that always gets done. (Did that shopkeeper who usually just talks about the ladies walking by just raise his eyebrow at me when I complained about the prices?) Not something that makes sense to send out in flashing highlighted beeping text - just a "Hey, let's play!"

I've had some fun interactions with people when they've noticed.

I've had to have other interactions with people who didn't. :(

Other GMs may have other types of things they'd do.

Iocanthe
Doing stuff
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/09/2017 05:08 AM CST
Roleplay hooks can end up being lots of things!

For me, I like to send visions to Moon Mages, Holy portents to Clerics and Paladins (and sometimes to others who align strongly with a particular god when appropriate), and different messaging type things to various people. Almost always, when my hooks are messaging things, I send them out to bunches of folks at once or over a short period of time. I always like to hit everyone in game who meets whatever criteria the hook is related to (circle, guild, level of a certain skill, in a certain province, standing in a room with a body of water in it -- stuff like that).

I also do more narrowly targeted hooks depending on things I catch particular players actively doing at the time I go look for people to throw hooks at. Maybe your character decided to go investigate some old ruins and then they pray there before leaving. Maybe your character is trying to 'save' some little animals set out as live food somewhere. Maybe your character goes to a known planar 'weak space' and tries to contact a demon. Maybe your character is falling down drunk in a bar. Maybe you're shopping and your bleeder comes unwrapped. Pretty much anything! You never know when the environment may respond back.

Sometimes an NPC may start to talk to you and respond to what you're doing. Sometimes you might get strange messaging. Sometimes a GMNPC might show up. Sometimes you might get townspeople freaking out because they're scared of you. Sometimes you might get thrown in the Red Buzzard dungeon. Sometimes an invasion may start. The list goes on and on! A hook could be lots of things.

Also, sometimes hooks happen because of what people decide not to do with their characters in response to stuff going on in the game, too. Is there an invasion that nobody is trying to fight off? Maybe an NPC or GMNPC takes offense to that and starts to try to yell at folks or gweth about it, maybe a scarier force decides to use that lack of care as a cover for something bigger or worse. Maybe some of the creatures invading decide to get drunk during their pillaging since nobody is fighting them, and then wander off to go throw up on people's shoes and make fun of how lazy they are.

In the end, sometimes roleplay hooks are very in your face and sometimes they are very subtle, but at their base they are either something in the environment reacting to your character or something in the environment acting on your character. It is an invitation to do something.

If you want to get involved with RP events, your best bet is to make sure to react to and interact with the game environment regularly. You may or may not easily notice the difference between a potential GM-made RP hook and random game messaging right off, but if you're interested in RP, you choosing to react to random game messaging could lead to RP developing with GMs or players over time anyway, even if it wasn't an intentional GM-sent hook to begin with.

Take a chance on responding to the game around you. What's the worst that could happen ;)

-Persida
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/09/2017 09:39 AM CST

I wish we had a full team of people behind the scenes able to do these all the time, because the interactions I've had these last few months have been some of the most entertaining I've ever had. There are great storytellers and RPers on both player and staff side, interested in making the experience fun for all parties, so, +1 to keep seeing this stuff!
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/09/2017 03:51 PM CST
>>DR-Persida: For me, I like to send visions to Moon Mages, Holy portents to Clerics and Paladins (and sometimes to others who align strongly with a particular god when appropriate), and different messaging type things to various people. . . . I always like to hit everyone in game who meets whatever criteria the hook is related to (circle, guild, level of a certain skill, in a certain province, standing in a room with a body of water in it -- stuff like that).

I'm curious how that works, mechanically. Is there a system that tracks who is "aligned strongly with a particular god," or is it simply a matter of GMs knowing this information and manually sending the hook to the relevant characters?

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Paladin new player guide: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Paladin_new_player_guide

armor and shields: https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Armor_and_shield_player_guide
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/09/2017 05:24 PM CST
>>I'm curious how that works, mechanically. Is there a system that tracks who is "aligned strongly with a particular god," or is it simply a matter of GMs knowing this information and manually sending the hook to the relevant characters?

What god your last favor is tracked for sure (a few systems interact with it). Dunno about total favors.
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/09/2017 05:32 PM CST
>>DR-Persida: For me, I like to send visions to Moon Mages, Holy portents to Clerics and Paladins (and sometimes to others who align strongly with a particular god when appropriate), and different messaging type things to various people. . . . I always like to hit everyone in game who meets whatever criteria the hook is related to (circle, guild, level of a certain skill, in a certain province, standing in a room with a body of water in it -- stuff like that).

>>Isharon:I'm curious how that works, mechanically. Is there a system that tracks who is "aligned strongly with a particular god," or is it simply a matter of GMs knowing this information and manually sending the hook to the relevant characters?

More or less the onus is on us as GMs to recognize this, we have some tools that help a little bit, but, for example -- just because someone happens to have five favors from Meraud recently this may not mean they are really into Meraud in a role play sense. I know I for one do look at who people get recent favors from though, because even if you aren't meaning to role play that way -- you got that Urrem'tier favor -- you owe that dude now; he owns you.

~Evike
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/10/2017 11:25 AM CST
<<you got that Urrem'tier favor -- you owe that dude now; he owns you.>>

Isn't it the other way around? You've done him a service by making the sacrifice required to obtain the favor, so now he owes you a boon (in the form of making sure you continue to exist the next time you find yourself dead). That's how I've always seen Favors, anyway.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/10/2017 12:28 PM CST
>Isn't it the other way around? You've done him a service by making the sacrifice required to obtain the favor, so now he owes you a boon (in the form of making sure you continue to exist the next time you find yourself dead). That's how I've always seen Favors, anyway.

All the messaging I've read suggests that because you're a devoted worshipper (as shown by voluntarily feeding your essence to them) they deign to intercede upon your behalf and gift you with resurrection/spare you from the void and they expect constant subservience. Immortals can strip you completely of favors and do anything they want to you on a whim.

Yeah they want to eat your brains and they'll do a deal with you if they think that'll get them more brains but they'll also take your brains and send giant flying sharks to murder you and expect thanks and more worship for the favor (the favor of having sharks eat you and a mighty god to worship, not a favor orb).
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/10/2017 02:21 PM CST
>>re: How GMs can tell what players are strongly aligned with what deity, if any.

Like Evike said, we do have a few tools we can use to see some things about the favors folks have, including how many total, consecutive favors from a deity, and what deity the last favor was from. Apart from that, on my end, I also spend a lot of time watching PCs RPing, looking at PC inventories for holy symbols, and just generally doing my own leg work in determining any other folks who might be devoted in ways that go beyond what the mechanical tools say, especially when I'm sending out hooks related to really big or likely-to-be-ongoing things that are very tied to deity-based interactions.

>>RE: relationship of gods and worshipers, vis a vis favors --
>>All the messaging I've read suggests that because you're a devoted worshipper (as shown by voluntarily feeding your essence to them) they deign to intercede upon your behalf and gift you with resurrection/spare you from the void and they expect constant subservience.

Depending on the Immortal in question, it can be varying degrees of the above and paternalistic/maternalistic impulse on the part of the Immortal.

Once you get outside of the 13/39, the relationships between worshipers and deities tend to be pretty different, though.

-Persida
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/10/2017 02:28 PM CST
Wait... there are people who think that giant flying sharks murdering you ISN'T the greatest of divine rewards bestowed upon the luckiest of faithful followers by only the most resplendent of deities? How backwards!
Re: Roleplay hooks 02/10/2017 03:37 PM CST
>>Once you get outside of the 13/39, the relationships between worshipers and deities tend to be pretty different, though.

Multi-clawed terror beasts from beyond the stars just want gnomes to have fun.

Re: Roleplay hooks 03/17/2017 09:04 PM CDT

Yeah I'm still not seeing these "hooks" is there a certain time or place or function they are more inclined to appear.

Or are they so minute as you could easily mistake them or miss them for regular scroll?
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 05:52 AM CDT

From what I've seen, they're SLIGHTLY more insistent than atmosphere, so super easy to lose it in the regular scroll. Gotta stay on your toes!
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 07:10 AM CDT
<From what I've seen, they're SLIGHTLY more insistent than atmosphere, so super easy to lose it in the regular scroll. Gotta stay on your toes!

Mean like you can lose/miss them if your atmo window is open?
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 07:56 AM CDT

...and you aren't watching it, then yes. Now, I'm just referring to when GMs are being cute and sneaky - there are more obvious ones, like when the lich guy was attacking however long ago it was. But as I recall, it really blends into the atmospherics. As a neurotic RPer, I tend to interact with the atmospherics anyways, so all is good, but....
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 07:57 AM CDT

But I have NO IDEA if they are "coded" as atmospherics or not - I'm not sure how the interfaces make the decision what goes to what window. I imagine that in the coding, they are not, but if you just use everything in the story window, that's what they look like.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 09:15 AM CDT

> But I have NO IDEA if they are "coded" as atmospherics or not - I'm not sure how the interfaces make the decision what goes to what window. I imagine that in the coding, they are not, but if you just use everything in the story window, that's what they look like.

I received one of these once while my cleric was being healed. I completely ignored it as I thought it was an atmospheric, and I always feel like I'm having a conversation with myself when I respond to those. That's on me, but... I would love for something a little more obvious like * or highlights before them or something.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 09:24 AM CDT

I think that's part of the fun, though. to see who is really paying attention and who isn't. And if you WANT to be RP heavy, I suppose your character should be reacting to their environment?
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 09:55 AM CDT

<I think that's part of the fun, though. to see who is really paying attention and who isn't. And if you WANT to be RP heavy, I suppose your character should be reacting to their environment?

Nothing against your opinion I just disagree. To me it mirrors afk script checks.

One of the staff members I think said it best that especially with the AFK script checks they for the most part had stopped because they realized that they were not in fact checking to see if the players were at the keyboard so much as checking to see if they were skilled enough to pass the check in scripting.

<Secondly - Script checks don't work. This is true. With script checks we catch people running very basic scripts, sometimes those running moderately complex scripts but we don't catch the power scripters. The people we ALL know script (And trust me, if you all know someone scripts all the time - we do too) but we can't prove it because their scripts are complex enough to pass all of our tests (No, they're not Turing compliant - but there are plenty of ways I won't go into here). - GM Raesh

I think it is a optimistic and positive perception to take that it is all in good fun to react to the environment. Like sort of a where's Waldo for role play and participation and if you happen to see Waldo you get to play and participate and if you don't well you may not get to have so much fun and you might get an AFK script check.

<I've had some fun interactions with people when they've noticed. I've had to have other interactions with people who didn't. :( - GM Iocanthe

This mode of a means to reward those who are either skilled enough to script a way to become aware of a few lines of dialogue in an otherwise busy room. Or can just tough it out and sit there and stare at their computer screens for hours and hours a day until their eyes drain from their sockets much like the finale of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

<Thirdly - Scripting is a failure of design, not the player. This is something Socharis use to talk about a lot and I agree with him - if we've designed a system where the most enticing way to interact with it is to AFK script it, we've designed a bad system. And, yes, there's a lot of systems that fall under this header. It's a reason you hear me talk about natural learning a lot and systems I write then to have large chunks of EXP with reasonable timers; the goal is to create a system you want to interact with in a useful way and you'll naturally progress your skills as you do this. - GM Raesh

To me and no disrespect to anyone elses opinion but it seems flawed like the script checks as described by GM Raesh only netting the most proficient of us with scripting prowess and those with proper affiliation.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 10:31 AM CDT
Just get out there and RP for the fun of it AMISH. If you focus too much on getting rewards from it you end up taking away from the fun you and the people around you could be having.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 10:34 AM CDT

Except that there's no punishment for missing an RP hook. So, not really the same thing at all. And they're all off the hip, so you can't really program anything for them - highlights, scripts, whatever. From my experience and what I've seen on the forums, the GMs tailor the RP hooks to what the characters in the room are already doing or what is happening around them. They aren't pre-scripted or anything, so...? What I mean is, they aren't a mechanic of the game - it's just magic that GMs make happen.

I was shocked when I came back from being away for so long because I was just going on about my business and all of a sudden my RP system got switched on and I had no idea what was happening! But it was also kind of nice to know that I was just doing my thing and some magic wizard behind the current gave me a text=-based high five.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 10:40 AM CDT

<Just get out there and RP for the fun of it AMISH. If you focus too much on getting rewards from it you end up taking away from the fun you and the people around you could be having.

You're right, you're right! You're absolutely right!

"I keel you" :D
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 10:51 AM CDT

<Except that there's no punishment for missing an RP hook. So, not really the same thing at all.

Cept miss a hook and you aren't included in the fun.

No interaction in a role play game is kinda the entire point.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 11:01 AM CDT
>>Cept miss a hook and you aren't included in the fun.

>>No interaction in a role play game is kinda the entire point.

Most of the interaction comes from between players. The 'hooks' from the gms are like occasional icing on the rp cake.

They're not something you should focus your time on seeking out. Just enjoy them if they ever crop up.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 11:05 AM CDT
<The 'hooks' from the gms are like occasional icing on the rp cake.

Ohhhhhh so it's not like every single day, gotcha.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 11:25 AM CDT

Oh, gosh, no! They're really rare and pretty much only happen when a GM has spare time and is feeling up to some mischief. Totally not an every day thing that you're missing out on and it is not practical to go looking for them. The big story arcs have bigger hooks, of course, and those happen for MONTHS before the event occurs. :D I would LOVE for there to be more hooks and stuff, but the GMs only have so much time and energy. <3

It's funny, because when I'm in game (which is only a few hours a day, if that), people have complained that I'm TOO interactive. LOL Like, my empath will acknowledge you when you come into the guild. Not to sound holier-than-thou, because it's totally not like that, but unless I've run to the restroom, I am ALWAYS watching my screen and interacting. And if there's one, there are more of us. :D And if you can't find someone, start stuff yourself! A lot of times people will ignore you or be confused, but whatever. Don't get discouraged! We're all here for different reasons, and that's cool, but that's no reason to give your reason up. :D
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 12:02 PM CDT
The actual direct messaging 'hooks' are pretty few and far between but yes you do have to be watching your screen (even boring combat scroll or grass braiding if that's going on). That said the last hook I saw was in the middle of combat scoll and i saw it immediately without any weird punctuation or bold lettering. I always hide my atmo window so I don't recall if it echoed there or not.

I did know someone who had genie watch out for unique/infrequent messaging (not sure how he accomplished it) in the story window and it would echo that to a separate window whenever it appeared but he used that more for tracking/testing stuff. I assume with Lich (and/or genie) you could do the same to watch out for 'hooks'.

Of course if you've previously cultivated relationships with people interested in roleplay they'll generally give you a heads up when stuff happens you might be interested in so you don't need to see the hooks firsthand to be included.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 03:30 PM CDT
It's really not as hard to respond to an in-game event as some players are making it out to be.

Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 10:10 PM CDT

<It's really not as hard to respond to an in-game event as some players are making it out to be.

Considering the lack of specific information I think that's a bold assumption.

When you consider that it is essentially in effect a afk check you are expected to react to a certain set of text within a certain time frame.

In the spirit of an AFK context GM Raesh feels different as I already mentioned earlier with specific quotes.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/18/2017 11:09 PM CDT
>>In the spirit of an AFK context GM Raesh feels different as I already mentioned earlier with specific quotes.

If you treat event notifications like script checks, which is incorrect to begin with, Raesh's view on them, which is that they're too easy to pass at times (because a really good scripter could arguably assess if they're happening), is still pointless for this comparison.

Re: Roleplay hooks 03/19/2017 10:00 AM CDT
<If you treat event notifications like script checks, which is incorrect to begin with,

Yeah? Well, you know, that's just uh like, your opinion man.
Re: Roleplay hooks 03/21/2017 05:59 PM CDT

<The 'hooks' from the gms are like occasional icing on the rp cake.

<We also throw out random hooks constantly. - GM Persida

Just figured hey. No one is seeing these constant hooks?

Wasn't trying to be offensive to anyone.

Take the risk of thinking for yourself , much more happiness , truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way
Prev_page Previous 1