Character development 09/08/2016 07:48 PM CDT
Trying to draft up a back story and history that would sound right in the settings for Dragonrealms, if anyone with a bit of experience and willingness to be involved with crafting a plausible back story which uses actual events from the history of the game please holler back at me.

I'm guessing this is the best place to start but admittedly I've never really taken a serious shot at it before. So thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Re: Character development 09/09/2016 10:01 AM CDT
If no one wants to help, I found this https://elanthipedia.play.net/Timelines
Re: Character development 09/09/2016 01:28 PM CDT

it might be easier if you present a bit of work that can be tweaked. Maybe an outline?
Re: Character development 09/09/2016 09:05 PM CDT

Thanks! That time line page was a very useful find.

I'm literally just starting the back story for this character as sad as that is, and it's my first ever so it is going to be a slow row to hoe.

Might take me some time to develop an outline.
Re: Character development 09/09/2016 11:17 PM CDT
The most important events to consider are the major wars: Sorrow War, Outcast War, Lyras War. I'd look up how old your character was for each of those (if even born), and try to go from there. Recall that the Lyras War involved not just slaughtering 1/3 of the general population, but raising the dead as zombies. Chances are that people your character knew died, possibly even attacking again after! It was a real Walking Dead world for a while there.

It will also help to get an idea of where your character was born and raised. If the character was in Forfedhdar for all of the Outcast War, then probably it didn't affect him/her much.

Once you have an idea for a birthplace/home, try visiting it in game. Look around at the rooms, get an idea of what the area is really like. Maybe try to find a few places that your character visited or hung out at as a child.

Finally, think about your character's personality, the people and thoughts that shaped him/her. Were there any important teachers? Encompassing hobbies? What were the parents like, and what did they want for the character? What drew the character to a particular guild?

If you want an example or any help, feel free to IM me at NavesiDR.

- Navesi
Re: Character development 09/10/2016 09:46 AM CDT
>The most important events to consider are the major wars: Sorrow War, Outcast War, Lyras War.

Don't forget the Gorbesh war. Personally speaking I think it was, by far, the best one. There were opportunities for all Guilds to participate (altar restoration) where circle wasn't a huge factor. There was a rich, ongoing story line that is even continued today (ask Esuin about Emuin). And, to top it off the Crossing temple was completely destroyed, which spawned yet another major event afterwards.....its rebuilding.

~Gab
Re: Character development 09/11/2016 06:37 PM CDT

The Gorbesh war was my favorite too. Creature drops were rewarding, major centers of congregation were disrupted, and everyone was fighting back against this seemingly unstoppable foe. It was brilliantly done. I don't think the game has ever felt more alive, and the world seemed to be something other than a carefully segregated zoo.