Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 01:02 PM CST
So, the other day I stumbled upon this fella that seems to have a "mech/power" character and has a separate "RP" character. The difference being the mech character seems to only power level and PvP and likes to "talk shop" only while the RP character is seriously heavy-duty on RP(speech is almost unreadable as it's heavily accented, ANY talk of mechanics short of "your skill with the bow is exceptional sir!" gives me an eyebrow raise. And clothing is worn even ignoring it's protective qualities) He's a blessing sometimes because the RP can lead to some interesting situations but I find the split personality thing somewhat intimidating as it's just very very stark (to the point im having trouble seeing these two characters as being played by the same person.) Does anyone else here do this? or is this just a very isolated case?
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 01:55 PM CST
I do something like this, but it wasn't planned or to the extreme like the person you are describing.

As my main has progressed through the ranks I have become less interested in trying to RP with him and just use him to watch the numbers go up. I have some smaller characters that I have enjoyed RPing on recently and use them as my RP outlet.
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 03:54 PM CST
As PC, I never separated power-trained from RPed, but I did frequently play VERY different characters in terms of temperament, personality, background, race, etc. The lack of separation might be why I never really got a character past 60th circle.

As a GM, I continue this activity with many many many more characters except I totally cheat in the skills department and it unfortunately, often, leaves me in a position where I don't really know HOW to use the skills I have, kind of like not buying the manual with your new HLC.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 04:11 PM CST

I struggled with this a bit as I started playing my necro more and more, when I realized that my other characters shouldn't all be pro necromancy. When I stopped to think about why they would or wouldn't be, I had to think about their personalities as individuals more.

Itl think it's more jarring to clearly identify players through a couple of alts. Characters who are being multiboxed and basically the same personality, with a different guild
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 04:13 PM CST
>>Summerson: Does anyone else here do this? or is this just a very isolated case?

I've never divided my characters into mech versus RP. To me, that seems like a strange division of labor, because I don't create characters that aren't, first and foremost, characters. Instead, I divide my time between OOC and IC. (I'm RP heavy, so I always keep OOC private, avoiding the use of OOC euphemisms like "pigeons.")

I do, however, try to play characters with different personalities and backgrounds, and sometimes I am more in the mood for one than another.

>>Summerson: I find the split personality thing somewhat intimidating as it's just very very stark (to the point im having trouble seeing these two characters as being played by the same person.)

Speaking generally on multi-alting, I would say that if you have trouble seeing that two characters are played by the same person, that is an example of doing it right. It is far more common for characters of the same player to have similar personalities and a shared pool of knowledge (despite being of different guilds). They may even speak frequently of their "brothers" and make oblique references to logging into alts ("let me get my brother to raise you").

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 07:44 PM CST
<As a GM, I continue this activity with many many many more characters except I totally cheat in the skills department and it unfortunately, often, leaves me in a position where I don't really know HOW to use the skills I have, kind of like not buying the manual with your new HLC.

I'm sure if you kindly asked, more than a few folks would volunteer a nice test run in the test server :) The help me test my new HLC mod. But yeah kidding aside, it wouldn't be a bad idea, even with rad skills, things can quickly spiral out of hand if you don't know what your doing, and in a lot of RP scenerios your gonna wanna know what your doing.
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/11/2015 08:56 PM CST
I agree that it sounds like the perfect thing for the test server.

Maybe monthly free for alls where you can roll out with an NPC and people can log on and try to take it down, allowing you to learn the various spells and abilities and such?

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/12/2015 01:29 AM CST
>>As my main has progressed through the ranks I have become less interested in trying to RP with him and just use him to watch the numbers go up. I have some smaller characters that I have enjoyed RPing on recently and use them as my RP outlet.

Something similar happened with me. My previous main and higher circle character reached a good stopping point in her storyline. I still enjoy playing her for the numbers and RP occasionally but I do more RPing on other characters. I think this is not that uncommon.

It's also not uncommon for heavy RP people to play characters who seem very different from each other. I've certainly done that too.

I would not be too surprised if the person you met has just decided to pursue each (mechanical and RP) more seriously than most.

- Navesi
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/12/2015 01:42 AM CST
>>As my main has progressed through the ranks I have become less interested in trying to RP with him and just use him to watch the numbers go up. I have some smaller characters that I have enjoyed RPing on recently and use them as my RP outlet.

I've deliberately tried to avoid this by finding ways to keep him fresh, because I don't want to have a separate RP character. It's mostly about managing your own interest. For me, I find it helps to have goals that aren't just numerically based, and to be sure to readjust those when you meet older goals.

- Saragos
Re: Do you have a separate "RP character"? 12/12/2015 07:04 PM CST
I don't think I have just RP and just Mech characters, but I strive very hard to ensure that each of my characters has a unique personality and only has the knowledge that he or she has gained through roleplay. I frown heavily upon OOC euphemisms like Isharon, and do my best to keep all OOC separate. I do not refer to my alts as "brothers" or "cousins," especially the alts on the same account who have had absolutely no opportunity to meet one another.

For me, it's like playing a role in a play. I used to be involved in theatre and when I would enter the stage, all of ME dropped away and I fell into the role that I was playing. For me, RP in DR is the same.

"Sometimes I have parties at my house in Nashville and it's clothing-optional, and we just body-paint each other and run around." -Ke$ha