Death and Taxes 09/04/2015 04:26 PM CDT

I have read in a number of places that the Adventuring Classes take no heed of death, among other things. I decided to add to those discussions from a span of experience in Elanthia.

I believe it's true that folks have forgotten that death is, or at least was, something to be feared. In the beginning, death was indeed a common and fearful prospect. Few adventurers could tame the wild critters and those that could would often succumb to the traps on the boxes they dropped. If a character died, it was common for the dead to be too heavy for another to drag. If you could be dragged, it was quite possible that your wounds would be too severe to be healed in the short time before your soul would depart. If you departed but were prepared with Favors, it was entirely possible that you could die repeatedly trying to regain your gear. If you departed without being prepared, you would not return.

In most of our character's roleplay, we make no mention of parents except as a footnote. Unless you roleplayed the birth of your character from another, as were a number of kittens were born in front of the bank in The Crossing, your parents have more than likely passed on. In addition, we have been reminded of our doom by the deaths of a number of quasi-characters. Chiefly, the loss of Prince Vorclaf who could not be recovered, but also those that have been put down for their depredation.

Just a bit to remember...
Re: Death and Taxes 09/04/2015 10:50 PM CDT
The events you outline remind me how much the game has improved over the years.
Re: Death and Taxes 09/05/2015 07:16 AM CDT
Because of Alecz, I train offhand (he always wanted me to teach it to him while we hunted). Also, hello. It's been several years since I've seen you around.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: Death and Taxes 09/05/2015 11:56 AM CDT
> In most of our character's roleplay, we make no mention of parents except as a footnote.

My parents don't come up very often in real life, either. My characters mention their parents about as much as I do as a real person.
Re: Death and Taxes 09/05/2015 12:32 PM CDT

It's actually hilarious to me that anyone would suggest parents don't come up often in roleplay, given how 90% of Dr players back story involved them being orphans.
Re: Death and Taxes 09/05/2015 12:50 PM CDT

I had a little fun with that trope... While my character's biological parents have been out of contact for many years, she talks about the monks who raised her in their absence - essentially a foster family - pretty frequently. She's on good terms with them and I essentially try to play it like a regular family relationship. It's been quite fun, as far as offscreen NPC backstory-ish stuff goes.
Re: Death and Taxes 09/06/2015 05:06 PM CDT

Squanto! I hear you're a mentor these days...and may have mentored a lost soul that I know recently. Oh those poor little newbies.
Re: Death and Taxes 09/06/2015 06:02 PM CDT
The blind leading the blind!

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade