Prev_page Previous 1
On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 07:03 PM CDT

Okay everyone. This is a topic that ticks many people off and others couldn't care less.

The gweth for major example is an in character tool for communication. Crystal rings are private but not everyone has one or can use one conveniently. And not everyone can be conveniently close enough to whisper something to someone they don't have a AIM contact info for.

So people try to make an effort to make an understandable reference to something that is OOC but in a way that is not "Hey dude, send me a instant message at my AOL message!". So they make reference to a messenger pigeon, but this isn't good enough for some people who get a burr up their butt over it. So what works?

There has to be a community accepted list of "code" words that someone could use in game when it has to be used but that doesn't shatter everyone's fantasy world. You may know what they are referencing to but they are trying to not be purely and blatantly out of character with it. They are trying to meet up to your desire to remain in character and not spoil anything for you, but what else can they do.

You can't expect everyone to play by your personal set of rules and you should not punish others for doing something that might be out of character but is TRYING to severely limit the out and out of it all.

this little list for example https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/OOC_Euphemisms is a good example. Sometimes there may be an issue to talk to someone who you are not able to whisper to, send private ESP to, etc about something out of character. But you have to give them a nod to the fact they are trying to remain as much as possible in character on the subject.

There really needs to be an accepted common ground so people know what they can use when the need comes up but without being strait out of character. euphemisms and thinly vieled is better than flat out out of character.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 07:32 PM CDT
As you referenced, there's already a list of euphemisms. This hasn't changed.

I'm wondering if this is more about a particular/specific situation as opposed to an issue with general game culture.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 07:39 PM CDT
We live in a time in which there are more forms of communications than the average person has brain cells - there is literally zero reasons for their to be IC 'code words' to reference OOC subjects. If you feel an absolute compulsion to communicate via IG means to discuss OOG topics, maybe keep it to whispers or crystal rings.

Immersion breaking or not, phrases such as 'send me a pigeon' are just skirting the OOC policy and make as much sense from an IC perspective as if you'd just used their RL counterparts. Are you really sending someone a pigeon? And further more, you owe me at least $0.25 for every stupid acronym I had to use in this post.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 07:45 PM CDT
>>Are you really sending someone a pigeon?

Are you really going to stress over if a character actually has a bird charm to send a message to someone or not?

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 07:58 PM CDT
> So people try to make an effort to make an understandable reference to something that is OOC but in a way that is not "Hey dude, send me a instant message at my AOL message!". So they make reference to a messenger pigeon, but this isn't good enough for some people who get a burr up their butt over it. So what works?

This is not difficult.

>think Hey Soandso, I tried to contact you more privately, but I couldn't seem to reach you any way I tried.

>think Hey Soandso, can we meet up at HereIsAPlace?

>think Hey Soandso, can you put on an albredine ring?

>think Hey Soandso, could you try to get in touch with me privately?

>whisper charm Soandso Hey this is my message to you.
Bird charms are expensive, but not impossible to get.

>say }moonmagecharacter Can you locate Soandso for me and maybe think a message to them?
A few other guilds have find-a-person abilities too! And/or delivery methods whereby you could give them an albredine ring, as well!

>profile <person>
oh look their AIM is listed, I will message them

There is zero excuse for getting publicly OOC. I loathe "pigeon" references. Unless you have one of those whisper charms, you don't have a pigeon. Even if you have a bird charm, it's likely not a pigeon.

You want a shortcut, I get it. But play the game you pay to play. Almost all those euphemisms are awful (and some aren't even used and would baffle me). "Great Mages" and "Elven Time" are my next most common "oh come on now" facepalms. Is it a thing that's not in the game in any way at all? Then shhhh. That's what the ooc command is for.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 08:00 PM CDT
What I am really going to stress, noted internet contrarian and professional forum commentator, is that I find the entire concept of 'code words' ludicrous. If Simutronics instituted a policy forbidding the discussion of 'circling' in the game today, people would be calling it 'squaring' tomorrow. In all honesty, I'd almost rather people just call themselves 'AIM users' and come up with some ridiculous in-genre acronym to fit it than call someone a 'bird keeper' and have to reference 'the scrolls' on the 'town message board' because neither my character, nor I, the player, have any idea what that is supposed to mean.

Too many words wasted on a dumb argument, people will do what people always do.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 08:43 PM CDT
People communicate. It's significantly easier to go 'Hey bob, you closed your IM, open it' with psuedo-IC terminology than it is to waste 30 minutes looking for a MM/WM/Thief/Ranger who is not AFK and will help you.

Frankly I find the use of pigeon or pidgeon far less annoying than 5 second bursts of 'anyone seen X?' or 'Anyone locate someone for me?'
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/14/2015 11:47 PM CDT
If someone doesn't put OOC contact info on their profile and their AIM screen name isn't their character name + DR they probably don't want to be contacted out of game anyway.

It's laughably easy to locate someone ingame and travel to them no matter where they are (except for Hara'jaal maybe). Face to face you can have all the OOC communication you want without subjecting everyone wearing a gweth to thinly veiled OOC euphemisms.

A lot of these dumb pigeon requests are purely to haggle for prices anyway; which would better be handled in an IC fashion.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 12:59 AM CDT
No offense but I'm still not hearing any reason why all the bending out of shape and threats of smashing that goes on. People even get worked up when people are even using the things period.

lets really look at this...

Message one.

You here Someone thinking: " Hey can someone how knows the verb commands for this thing please send me an instant message."

Yeah that is all kinds of wrong and the like.

Message two.

You hear Someone thinking: " Might someone know how to work this unusual thing I found? Send me a pigeon if you someone knows anything?"

This message is about something of an OOC nature. But the person is trying to be IC about it. So cut people dome slack instead of cutting their necks.

Complaining about people using euphemism when the alternative is flat out out of character is plain and simple stupid. One is IC and one is OOC. You can't have it both ways.

In the end this is a computer game and other people besides you and I play it. Not everyone is the type of person who immerses themselves in something that they learn to speak klingon or read Tolken elf rune language. They play their way. Someone thing a little bit ooc but in character enough shout not stop the game and force you to get off.

One of the main mottos of DR is 'suck it up." I hate that motto but having a bit thicker immersion skin would go a long ways in the game world today.

Other options to simplify things would be..

Remove all gweths from the game.then everyone is in character.

Make the gweth purely ooc then no one has reason to complain.

or allow chatter for those who want to use.

or accept the effort to remain as IC as possible and don't sweat the little things.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 04:18 AM CDT
> You hear Someone thinking: " Might someone know how to work this unusual thing I found? Send me a pigeon if you someone knows anything?"

> This message is about something of an OOC nature. But the person is trying to be IC about it. So cut people dome slack instead of cutting their necks.

How about:
You hear Someone thinking, "Might someone know how to work this unusual thing I found? Get in touch with me if you know anything."

It is really not hard to engage in a tiny amount of creativity and stay in character. You can "try" to be IC or you can actually be IC.

I don't know how to speak Klingon or read elvish or whatever. What the heck does that have to do with roleplaying in DR? You don't have to learn the S'Kra language in full to roleplay a S'Kra and you never have. Why do you have this drive to "simplify" things that aren't even complex? You're demanding that everyone else have thicker skin--and by the way, I've never insulted/threatened anyone for saying "pigeon" but I have asked them in ooc whispers not to say it--but you're not willing to put out the tiniest bit of effort to work around that one word...?
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 07:00 AM CDT
>It is really not hard to engage in a tiny amount of creativity and stay in character. You can "try" to be IC or you can actually be IC.

His example specifies a contact method (IMs) while yours does not.

I AM NOT taking a stance on this, I am simply pointing out the differences in your two examples.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 08:01 AM CDT

the whole IC vs OOC thing is really an easily solved issue. The game has a mideval/dark ages setting. If you are referencing anything(directly or using code words) that was invented after say Columbus discovering the new world, then it is OOC. Even the seemingly harmless "pidgeon", while they were used as far back as 1150 AD, they basically were still just a bird that traveled to a very specific point. If the one the message was meant for wasn't at that point, they would never get the message. They were not able to discern, locate and fly directly to a specific person so sending one literally means, send a bird to its home so the person that lives in the same exact place as the pidgeon can get the message. Likely why bird charms are NOT actual pidgeons is because of the OOC connotation associated with it.

Since f2p and worldwide gweths have gone live, the amount of OOC has gone up to such a degree that what used to be honest mistakes or the occasional mistype of think TO has turned into discussions of mechanics, weekend plans, pop culture phrases/songs/commercials/TV and movie references, play by play of auctions including appraisals and stats on every single item, offers of items for "the young" meaning new players(a 16 to 18 year old would be near middle aged in the historical reference period) and the ever popular offers of special favors at the local inns et al.

If you can't imagine a mideval serf or knight saying it, you shouldn't either.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 08:42 AM CDT
>>It is really not hard to engage in a tiny amount of creativity and stay in character. You can "try" to be IC or you can actually be IC.

Like, for example, saying pigeon. The fact that you personally don't like an IC euphemism because you find it "too glaring" based on the idea that no one owns messenger birds (because the idea that people use those is CRAZY for whatever reason) doesn't mean it isn't an IC euphemism.

Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 08:44 AM CDT
>>If you can't imagine a mideval serf or knight saying it, you shouldn't either.

Better smash all the lightbulbs in Hib and dismantle the giant mechanical spider that fell into DR from that Wild Wild West wormhole, then.

Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 09:14 AM CDT
>If you can't imagine a mideval serf or knight saying it, you shouldn't either.

Fireballs are out.

So are all magic items (messenger bird charms).

So is most math and education in general.

Hib has a fully functional electrical system, guess that's out.

The annual fest is a giant steampunk spider. As is the Dragon quest.

Magic in general is out, since mideval knights/serfs would have claimed it was devilry and revolted like we currently treat necromancers.

DR's setting is informed by a certain age in history but it's not identical, because of a lot of reasons. Also any person using 'ye olde english' needs to be shot.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 09:18 AM CDT
Mammoths swimming the oceans with people on their back might have freaked out a serf or two.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 09:56 AM CDT

This is not the bickering thread, address the points of posts without snarking because you don't agree with the responses.

Right now, it's players discussing how to role play in general in DragonRealms.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 10:48 AM CDT
If you're getting bent out of shape because someone uses the term pigeon, that's on you. Considering the players are the top 1% of Elanthia's population, it's quite conceivable that someone could hire a messenger pigeon to deliver a message. We all know it means an IM, but it is perfectly reasonable for someone to hire a messenger bird to deliver a message IC. We have magic shells that can deliver thoughts, crystal rings that can deliver thoughts directly into people's minds, items that allow global telepathy and you're worried about the term "pigeon"? I'm not trying to bicker, but you have to allow people terms to communicate what they are trying to communicate. They are making a perfectly reasonable attempt at keeping it IC, just brush it off.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 12:32 PM CDT
>>skirting the OOC policy

Staff is, in general, not likely to ask someone to stop being OOC on a gweth for using the OOC Euphemisms on elanthipedia.

>>Discussing RANKS on the gweth

This will probably get you nudged, esp if you're discussing numbers and mechanics. EXP RP is your friend, check it out sometime.

>>Since f2p and worldwide gweths have gone live, the amount of OOC has gone up to such a degree that ...

Several of those things were happening before, there are just many more people now, making it more noticeable. Staff tries to monitor this, but if you see it, feel free to REPORT and let us know.

>>I don't like people using OOC euphemisms.

Sadly for you, they are likely here and not something staff would be inclined to police, because the moment we tell you "you cannot say this and mean this other thing," someone will come up with a different one. Example: Fog was used by people to discuss server lag. Staff decided this was too OOC and people then started simply saying the world was moving slowly.

There is not a GOOD solution here other than to try not to take it personally.

Fun Fact: Circles were actually the player preferred word for discussing Levels in character.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 12:44 PM CDT
>Fun Fact: Circles were actually the player preferred word for discussing Levels in character.

I must be misremembering. I thought Circle was the in game term for level ever since beta?

Don't forget to vote:

http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 12:47 PM CDT
>>ever since beta?

Correct. This is supposedly where it came from, though.

---
NaOH+HI
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 05:35 PM CDT
>>Neutronium: In the end this is a computer game and other people besides you and I play it. Not everyone is the type of person who immerses themselves in something that they learn to speak klingon or read Tolken elf rune language. They play their way. Someone thing a little bit ooc but in character enough shout not stop the game and force you to get off. One of the main mottos of DR is 'suck it up." I hate that motto but having a bit thicker immersion skin would go a long ways in the game world today.

It bears reminding that DragonRealms isn't just a game that some role-players just happen to play. It is a role-playing game. Those who do not desire to role-play are nonetheless expected to refrain from being publicly OOC. As Armifer put it, "In Prime, it is presumed you are either always IC or, at the very least, quiet enough not to disrupt people roleplaying. This is not a scale: you are either doing this right, or you are not."

>>Neutronium: Complaining about people using euphemism when the alternative is flat out out of character is plain and simple stupid. One is IC and one is OOC. You can't have it both ways.

No, both are OOC. One is just OOC in a way that is less likely to result in a warning from GMs. If you want a litmus test, ask yourself if you are really referring to something in the real world or something in Elanthia. If the former, then it's OOC no matter how artfully you describe it. Period.

Granted, people have different tolerances for OOC. If you want to gweth about pigeons flying through a thick fog, you're in good company. But for many other players, the euphemisms people use for AIM are jarringly OOC, because there are more discreet ways to accomplish the same thing. (See Bluefrog99's post for some IC alternatives.)

That being said, GMs aren't handing out warnings for inane euphemisms, and I doubt that many players are willing to waste gwethsmasher charges on every person who gweths about pigeons.

Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall rank!

Vote for DragonRealms on Top MUD Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/15/2015 05:36 PM CDT
>>There is not a GOOD solution here other than to try not to take it personally.<<

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

"Brace yourselves, Squanto is going to bleh blah fart fart bleh.." -the player of the character formerly known as Pureblade
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/16/2015 04:37 AM CDT
>There is not a GOOD solution here other than to try not to take it personally.

On both sides. People who don't like the euphemisms and try to get people to not use them/present people with other alternatives are generally not any closer to being the incarnation of evil (that's my job anyway, back off) than those who are comfortable with their use. Finding something annoying or wanting someone/something else to change is a pretty standard part of the human condition, and something both sides of this have in common.

-Persida
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/16/2015 04:54 AM CDT

Well a lot of the problem I have is it ticks me off when someone is talking to someone else on the gweth and then the gweth smasher threats start.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/16/2015 06:08 AM CDT
Smash the threateners. Punish the behavior you find offensive, directly.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/16/2015 11:53 AM CDT

Or just... relax and ignore it? There's a ton of OOC like chatter around various gathering spots, I don't see anyone suggesting we break up those gathering spots.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 06:12 AM CDT
My favorite DragonRealms trope: "If you do THAT one more time I'm going to kills you." It's little wonder nobody can pull off an evil character in DR considering the supposedly good and/or neutral characters are homicidal psychopaths on a good day. Solve all the problems with murder!
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 06:55 AM CDT
>My favorite DragonRealms trope: "If you do THAT one more time I'm going to kills you." It's little wonder nobody can pull off an evil character in DR considering the supposedly good and/or neutral characters are homicidal psychopaths on a good day. Solve all the problems with murder!

Death in DR is a few minutes of idle time and the loss of your pool EXP. Nothing else players can inflict carries any impact at all. Wounding? Meh, it either has 0 impact, is healed faster than you inflicted the damage, or results in death. Players can't engage the justice system, or levy lawsuits and economic sanctions/etc.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 11:01 AM CDT
>>Death in DR is a few minutes of idle time and the loss of your pool EXP. Nothing else players can inflict carries any impact at all.

Gwethsmashing, THUMP, CURSE, SHUN, refusing to heal people or raise them or sell to them (etc), ACCUSE NECROMANCY, spreading IC rumors to ruin their reputation...

There are absolutely non-murder options, and if they had no impact at all we wouldn't get so many ASSISTs, REPORTs, and forums threads (like this one) about their perceived level of impact. It's just that murder often feels kind of good in its immediacy and effect, and it's kind of a low-effort response a lot of the time.

It's important to also remember, if you care about RP at all, that while death might feel like a small nuisance to most Adventurers, nobody is guaranteed the favor of the Immortals, and the vast majority of the world is one-and-done when it comes to dying. This is why the rest of the population tends to see Adventurers as dangerous, even the 'good' ones.

-Persida
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 12:33 PM CDT

TIL about curse and shun.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 01:53 PM CDT

>>ACCUSE NECROMANCY

I thought after the Caraamon incident this was a no-no.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 02:19 PM CDT
>> Death in DR is a few minutes of idle time and the loss of your pool EXP.

Being that this is a thread in the roleplaying forum...no. Death is pretty serious ICly; as Persida says, for the vast majority of people you get one shot. Even if you're favored, even if you've died a hundred times before, that's no guarantee that your next death isn't going to be the starry road for you because your PC is not immortal and everyone walks eventually when the Immortals decide it's their time. Death is frequently incredibly painful, potentially humiliating or traumatizing, and dangerous, both for the risk of never coming back and the fact that you're literally bleeding off pieces of your personality and memories every second your soul remains disembodied.

While OOCly it's good to keep this attitude about your character dying, because as players we can recognize that losing a fight isn't the end of the world and death doesn't have super serious mechanical consequences most of the time, ICly I think it's good to try and treat death with a more serious attitude unless you're playing the kind of character who is that callous on purpose.

Adventurers are the 1% and this has frankly made them into a class of incredibly privilege-blind sociopaths, which is an interesting thing in itself.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 02:55 PM CDT
>>Death is pretty serious

I know! I was watching this guy playing grand theft auto and he was killing people and then picking up hookers. It was crazy when the cops finally caught up to him and killed him on the spot. I was like "man, i'm glad this is game and not RL".
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 03:16 PM CDT
>Death is pretty serious
>Being that this is a thread in the roleplaying forum...no.

I'll stop laughing as soon as you point me to more than 1% of the population who seriously and competently RPs as though death is a huge issue. There are 530 people on right now, so I'll spot you .3 of a person. Go on.

This is especially hilarious because the 'huge' 4 year festival features a ton of games which mostly feature 'death' as the failure and win mode.

We also have to examine our characters social circles; even before 'permadeath' was removed it was simply so uncommon that it is reasonable to say our characters, who probably have 5-500 deaths each, consider death a minimal thing. Certainly more problematic than our players do, but our characters see other players die constantly, they die regularly, and all of them just pop back up like clowns on amphetamines.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 03:32 PM CDT
ICly, sure but favors are pretty easy to get and we aren't the vast majority of the population of the game so it's not a big deal. With favors, death isn't really a huge deal.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/17/2015 06:13 PM CDT
I never could figure out why folks would get their feathers all ruffled over pigeons.. or eastern bells. It is only jarring to my RP experience if I decide to let it be jarring. I can easily (and do so often) ignore all sorts of stuff.. typos.. mis-gweths.. whatever. But then again, maybe I am too laid back for all of this intensive RP.

>>There is not a GOOD solution here other than to try not to take it personally.<<

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/19/2015 10:13 PM CDT
>>ICly, sure but favors are pretty easy to get and we aren't the vast majority of the population of the game so it's not a big deal. With favors, death isn't really a huge deal.

The vast majority of people populating Elanthia don't have favors (or Empaths, for that matter). They die like you and I do. To these "background NPCs" death is... well, really quite deadly.

The Adventuring Class has a limited reprieve from death, in the form of Immortal (or other thing...) intervention. Both work under the caveat that, ICly, you only get to go back as long as they have a use for you.

ICly, old age also happens and the Immortals extremely rarely grant a reprieve from death by natural causes. Hence the Great Work of the Necro-alchemists.

Arguably the people who pretend death has no consequences are roleplaying it out fairly well: Adventurers have routinely shown a range of behaviors from utter disdain to utter obliviousness when it comes to the lives of normal people. Following mechanics (never dying, no fear of old age, nobody "important" dying unless it's somehow thematically appropriate) creates the RP of a sociopath, and frankly that describes the RP of most PCs well.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/19/2015 11:55 PM CDT

It's because all PCs are orphans who learned on the mean streets...
Re: On being OOC by trying to not be OOC about it on the Gweth or otherwise. 05/20/2015 07:38 AM CDT
>>Arguably the people who pretend death has no consequences are roleplaying it out fairly well: Adventurers have routinely shown a range of behaviors from utter disdain to utter obliviousness when it comes to the lives of normal people. Following mechanics (never dying, no fear of old age, nobody "important" dying unless it's somehow thematically appropriate) creates the RP of a sociopath, and frankly that describes the RP of most PCs well.<<

DR is a weird environment. In almost every way, it's impossible to have meaningful interactions with those normal people. You know they're around from room descriptions and if you do certain things they'll run off and get the guards but otherwise they're indifferent to and untouchable by you. Everything about the way the environment operates (as distinct from the way the fiction is written, which absolutely supports the opposite conclusion) reinforces the idea that the only "real" people are adventurers and certain VIPs because those are the only entities that can meaningfully react back, and that the only "real" death is one you pop back up from. I think it's less the RP of a sociopath and more the RP of someone caught in a Twilight Zone episode.

I kind of think it'd be cool if doing certain things, like casting an AOE spell on AREA in town, could spawn townsfolk as collateral damage. Or if orphan npcs spawned after invasions that could be guided to the orphanage, or things of that nature.

Mazrian
Prev_page Previous 1