Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/18/2015 10:44 AM CDT
Heyo all,

I've been Dragonrealms obssessed for the entire time I've played, 20 years now and same amount of time in tabletop, and I've decided to run a tabletop version of Dragonrealms to encourage new players to check out the game, and two to control things a bit more and actually offer some real and interesting adventures that Dragonrealms lacks or requires payment for. :P So before I go reinventing the Pudding Wheel, Has anyone already written a module for Dragonrealms tabletop d20 system? Maybe something close enough so I can use it as cannon? I'm not really concerned about skill divisions as I am about the main classes because these new people won't know umm what spells are not allowed to what classes, and I'm going to have to probably write documentation about empaths, clerics, moon mages, warmies, and necros and I've never played any of those! At this point I've only played one character post-updates. So I'm not really certain about how magic works even though I know it's changed a lot.

~Sircha the Bard, Racha the Commoner
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 09:20 AM CDT
I thought about it a few years ago, but my usual players weren't interested, so I scrapped it. What're you thinking? Pathfinder? 3.5? 5th?

Moon Mages can be accomplished with Wizards that have specialty in Divination or Transmutation, with restricted schools being Divination and Evocation. Hack out Spell Points to vary with the moons.

Warrior Mages, I see more as Evocation-focused Sorcerers. Hack out spell points to vary with Elements nearby.

Necromancers -- the Occult and Dark Tapestry mysteries for the Oracle fits well (Pathfinder). The Occult Revelation even has a little bit of Transcendence at level 20, and Dark Tapestry ends in a sort-of Lichdom. Limit all healing spells to combination half inflict/half heal.

Clerics are pretty much perfect using the Cleric class. Just have Necromancy be a Big No, and have healing not be a thing. Alternatively, let them use the Inquisitor class, in PF.

The Thief guild can be anything from the standard Rogue to anything with Psionics, to the Investigator class. It's more of a loose connection than a strict class path.

Empaths are an interesting bunch. That's where the bulk of the hacking would need to be. Me? I'd do something like a Life Oracle, with the added caveat that they can't do damage or they lose their class powers, and have to atone a-la Paladin.

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu-proxy R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 09:30 AM CDT
Ah -- and I almost forgot.

In case you don't have the books for all those things I mentioned, they're all available in the Pathfinder SRD -- http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

"Nobody cares about the feasibility of Sidhlot's portrayal of evil. That's not the point. He's older than dragons and so metal he poops viking helmets." - Armifer

Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 10:08 PM CDT
I do have the books. Pathfinder, 3.5, MM, PH2.

Yesterday, I discovered another game similiar to Dragonrealms and is apparently vastly more popular, had started work on a d20 module last September, and they had already revamped a nice system that kicked feats and saves out the door and had skills be the main focus. I printed a lot of documentation out and I've begun to go through it. Combat not the same, I need to re-write it for DR. Perks kind of replaced feats from d20, I'm not sure why they did that? It's like they borrowed/stole parts of Savage Worlds and shoved it into the Mod and called it a d20 mod. Classes non-existant apparently.

Moon system I've put some thoughts into, 6 phases of the moon. Gone, Partial wax, 3/4 wax, full, 3/4 wane, 1/4 wane. 3 moons, 3d6. When a moon-effect is requested DM makes the roll and determines the outcome and duration during play, or combat. Pretty simplified, but I felt it was neccessary, I didn't want to spend time tracking moon movements during gameplay.

I really appreciate the help on classes, saves me a ton of work!

Since I spent a lot of time playing Bard, I was thinking the new bards matched up more with Duskblades, than the traditional Bard class, because of the higher weapon requirements, and some of the new spells, abilities, and powers.

I was also thinking about disabling traders and necros as available classes for the first game, I have power gamers that break the rules in every game and become exorbiantly rich and powerful within the first 2 hours of gameplay. Really hoping with the DR setting and my knowledge of it I can coral any of that before it gets out of hand.
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 11:07 PM CDT
I also believe I will need some setting/lore help.

Going to stage starting in the East of the Crossing, The Prydaen lands were overrun by necromancers I believe, and so the story will start with a town under siege, the women and children are hidden away with our very young adventurers while the men bravely fight and die to the last man. The town is left as smoldering ruins, and the party will need to travel to the nearest fortification, a major metropolis down the road a few days to seek protection. Along the way there will be weak zombie walkers chasing the group, which they'll have to choose to stand and fight or watch more people die. A few days later, a supply caravan from Prince Vorclaf will gate into town and offer to take refugees out. This is how and when our adventurering commoners will learn about moongates.

In the 2nd or third game they'll be allowed to run around and learn about the different guilds in the Crossing and try to decide on choosing one.

My questions are, are there any towns or cities that have been named in the Eastern area? Is my premise that Necromancers chased Prydaens out of their homeland correct? Any names of cities, villages, etc. east of Crossings that I can borrow or use for keeping the game very lore-accurate? Is there a different location that might be more lore-accurate or better plot-wise as a starting point?
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 11:15 PM CDT
>My questions are, are there any towns or cities that have been named in the Eastern area? Is my premise that >Necromancers chased Prydaens out of their homeland correct? Any names of cities, villages, etc. east of Crossings that >I can borrow or use for keeping the game very lore-accurate?

We don't know the name of any Hubs east of Crossing but we do know the names of some Hubs in the east (the 5 provinces east). There is a small Hub in the far east but Rayureko didn't share the name from my recollection. Check out this log and the links at the top of it.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Rayureko,_Claw_of_Eu_-_04/10/2015_-_20:47

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/19/2015 11:18 PM CDT
well, except for Sunfall Hub - I guess that's east of the Crossing.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/20/2015 12:15 AM CDT
Re: I'm not as familiar with the Prydaen lands as others here -- that's a part of the lore I'm not super familiar with.

That being said, I am super familiar with Necrolore.

Rather than disabling Necromancers and Traders, you might consider allowing closeted Necromancers, with the caveat that pretty much everyone will come and murder them in horrible, horrible ways. You might have a fun little RP regarding the Red Buzzard dungeon, where the party is conflicted on whether to go to war with the Inquisition in order to bust their buddy out. Xerasyth's escape might make for a good basis for the session:

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Xerasyth_and_allies_make_their_move!_Long_log._-_1/10/2010_-_2:53:37

But, before you introduce a PC Necromancer, perhaps introduce the Adan'f and Zamidren book and why their Necromancy is a Super Bad Thing. As another dungeon idea, check out the Dirge Necromancer Guild log.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Post:Necro_hunting_in_Dirge_with_Inquisiters_Sinstra_and_Khurek_and_Ventuul_(long_log_-_2/3/2010_-_18:02:22

Re: Traders, you might allow a Charisma Rogue (or un-guilded Bard) membership in the Trader Guid as a feat, which would add exclusive rights to sell things in bulk, rent caravans, use Trader guild services, and most importantly, access commodities trading, because it sounds like at least one of your players would enjoy Spreadsheet: the RPG. Make Commodities benefits minimal but present, and make them pay for their caravans, etc, and it sounds like one of your players would have a blast.

Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/20/2015 12:29 PM CDT
>> I was also thinking about disabling traders and necros as available classes for the first game, I have power gamers that break the rules in every game and become exorbiantly rich and powerful within the first 2 hours of gameplay.

I find this correlation hilarious.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/20/2015 01:51 PM CDT
>I have power gamers that break the rules in every game and become exorbiantly rich and powerful within the first 2 hours of gameplay.

Isn't that just the fault of the GM though? Wealth by level is a very critical aspect of a pen and paper game, allowing infinite wealth just allows infinite power.
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/20/2015 03:55 PM CDT
>>Wealth by level is a very critical aspect of a pen and paper game, allowing infinite wealth just allows infinite power.

There's a semi-famous D&D pundit that once whined about how players made a MOCKERY of an enchanted crystal castle by trying to take it apart as part of the loot.

It's sort of like declaring food and hunger will be important and then being pissed off at the natural response of the adventurers being assigned as guards in the Baskets of Eternal Feasts factory.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Calvino Italo
Re: Tabletop Dragonrealms d20 system 04/20/2015 04:05 PM CDT
One of the more memorable D&D campaigns I played in was one where the DM allowed my character to take advantage of artificial scarcity and arbitrage between regions to actually exploit the commodities market, to the benefit of the entire campaign. The DM and I agreed that all proceeds went toward the plot fund, where they'd just be thrown at the cost of having a ship built, because the DM wanted us to sail on a ship. The only real advantage was that that particular character got to name the ship, and I distinctly recall naming it something that would irritate the rest of the characters in the party, because that's the type of character I played -- but boy, did I have fun playing the character that was captain of the Elf King's Soiled Unmentionables, or whatever the ship was actually named (I don't remember -- it's been a decade).