Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/14/2013 11:01 AM CDT
I recently returned to dragonrealms after a 10 year or so hiatus, and wanted to share my thoughts on this topic. I have always adored villains in movies, television, books, etc and I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

One of the biggest mistakes you could make as "role playing evil" is just go for a black cloak and run around picking fights and shooting innocents with a crossbow. That isn't role playing evil, that is roleplaying psychotic. There are basically two camps of evil villains and I will give examples of both.

Firstly, you have the megalomaniacs. The sociopaths who crave power, fear, domination, and attention over anything else. The villains who don't care about the money, the cost, or the position. They care about the power. They get off on feeling all powerful and feeling a position of domination and superiority over others. Cobra commander from the GI joe's, The Governor from 'The Walking Dead', Joffrey Baratheon from 'Game of Thrones', and Marlo Stanfield from 'The Wire'. These are the villains who will spend all their money, kill all their soldiers all in the name of their goal and for power's sake. The care only about their name, and the fear that others have of them. As Marlo Stanfield said once in 'The Wire'..... "My name is my name!". These villains tend to be pretty straight forward, maybe having alterior motives at times but more or less you know they are just bad news.

Secondly, you have the other hand of villains. The men or women who may be wrong, and doing evil things.. but for the right reasons. Think of Ed Harris as General Hummel in the movie 'The Rock', or Dexter from the show named after him, or Magneto of the X-men comics as good examples. These are the better villains that are usually more in depth characters. These are the villains who we can relate to in some respect and understand why they do what they do. Magneto for instance watched his family burned in the holocaust, grew up to find he was gifted and now lives in a world that prosecutes him and his children for being born. I know if I had superpowers and lived through one genecide of my people, I wouldn't stand idly by as it happened again either. That's what makes Magneto a great villain and others like him. These tend to be the more human villains who we can see why they did what they did, and often times these can find redemption for themselves in the end because they aren't as one dimensional as the first class of villains. They often are not pure evil or malevolant. These villains may do awful things at times for their causes, but the point is they believe with conviction that what they are doing is right. The first class of villain knows they are the bad guys, but don't care because they are just sociopaths like that. The second class believe what they are doing is right, even if they are terrible things.

If you are going to roleplay evil correctly in my humble opinion, I personally prefer the second class of villain roleplay. You may do evil things, but you do it for what you perceive as a good cause. If you believe what you are doing is right in your mind and for a good cause, and believe with enough conviction, you can convince others that what you are doing isn't so bad. Whether it's bootlegging liquor, selling drugs, theft, murder or necromancy. What is perceived as evil is all about perception. Convince yourself that what you do is just and roleplay it as that, and you will find it more rewarding. The first class of villain tends to bring down too much attention and heat down upon themselves anyway, these tend to be the villains that townfolks gather together with pitchforks and hunt down.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/15/2013 09:28 AM CDT
Well said. It sounds like our "evil" characters would get along.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/15/2013 04:42 PM CDT
I think there is ample room for the maiden snatching, child shooting, puppy killing, lunatic 'evil' person, assuming they can do it without griefing and/or just randomly one-shotting noobs and people who pose not a remote challenge, etc.

It's a flavor of evil, and not everyone has to be nuanced and complicated.

I don't disagree that the more complicated systems of playing an evil character are just as good, I'm just saying, psycopathy works, and if someone wants to RP one, go for it.

Pants.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/16/2013 11:41 AM CDT
If someone wants to roleplay a psycho, that is fine. Not everything is so black and white. I just meant in my humble opinion the megalomaniac, and the anti-hero are my two favorite types of villains and for different reasons. The power crazy ones are usually the more frightening, and right to the point while the anti-hero's are the more nuanced and deep characters most of the time.

Roleplaying a psychotic villain can be fun, but there usually isn't alot of depth behind roleplaying a lunatic. I'd prefer the sociopathic power hungry type villain with a dash of psycho thrown in if one were to go that route. Think like Joe Peschi in Goodfellas. Most of the time they are more or less just a regular villain, but sometimes has that dash of "wow that was nuts" thrown in. It's usually a little something that sets them off. Everyone has different opinions though and roleplay has infinite possibilities.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/16/2013 12:52 PM CDT
Makes me glad I am a good guy, its less complicated apperantly.

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/16/2013 02:12 PM CDT
>>Makes me glad I am a good guy, its less complicated apperantly.

Main issue when it comes to roleplaying good or bad is that, in an MMO setting, it's only regarded as good/fun if other people are having fun.

Being Lawful Good can come off just as obnoxious to people as being Chaotic Evil, depending on how you do it, despite both being valid ways to roleplay.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with playing a sociopath on either side of the spectrum, except people won't like it if it doesn't end up being fun for them.

IMO, the hardest part about roleplay isn't setting up a creative character profile and always going through with your actions no matter if you know it will end up being at cost to your own enjoyment, but setting up a profile that is enjoyable for others, and being comfortable with recognizing that your profile just isn't entertaining to others.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/16/2013 02:47 PM CDT
Although she's not my all-time favorite player, Reene did pen a superb white paper on character development. It outlined a number of elements that are worth considering when constructing a backstory, as well as some suggestions and admonishments for how to play the "character" of your character out in game.

Should be pastied on the boards somewhere.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 09:52 AM CDT
Some good stuff here as far as character development and motivations.

<<Makes me glad I am a good guy, its less complicated apperantly.

Not as easy as it looks. Playing good can have some depth and frustrations.

All of these RP ideas are well and good, but in DR there are some things that tend to make things less fun. One thing that needs to be considered is skill disparity in this game when it comes to conflict. Some accommodation should be made to slow down the jumping to violence for the sake of some interesting RP. These moments can help explain the character's motivations, especially if they are not being psychotic.

<<Goodguy/Badguy says, "I don't like you, leave."
<<Goodguy/Badguy preps spell of doom/wields weapon of mass destruction.

This kind of thing is not as fun and lacks depth.

Also an issue in this game is what do the bad guys do when they can defeat everyone that would oppose them? The good guys are not going to keep charging to their deaths forever, it becomes not fun after a few times. There have been some bad guys that have appeared with a thin veneer of RP in order to simply engage in CvC that they were pretty certain to win. This ceases to be fun pretty quick because how many times can the plot be "We hate Therengia so we killed some Therengians and got banned, so now we hate Therengia more since we are not allowed to come to the province we hate, so lets keep going there to kill Therengians and prove our point." The best conflicts I have had were where there was some give and take, and the bad guys would take their lumps after delivering a bunch and then go their merry way. In DR there is no ground to be gained for evil when they have 300+ more combat ranks than the good guys and after the third or fourth death get tired of it retire. They can stand around having 'conquered' the province until some GM takes notice or cares and uses mechanics to make them leave. Characters are not going to be sitting on a provincial throne in this game, and evil-doers will not be allowed to permanently run amok.

Oh my, I have rambled. Sorry. Main point: More RP, less insta-death.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 10:45 AM CDT
Some people simply view DR as a shoot-'em-up. They think they're badguys, but they're just kids, often in adult bodies, who should be playing another game where everyone is on the same page as them. They're kids, because they just could give a <insert> about everyone else's experience.

There is no reason to experience frustration once you know that that population exists. Just die, no crying, no complaining about how the person is a jerk, and it's not cool - nothing like that is necessary or useful. Simply whisper, "Good kill. One thing, though: DR isn't just a shoot-'em-up for me - you totally win - I won't challenge your authoriteh, so do me a solid and take me out of the equation. I PvP but not an instant kill target if I can avoid it. Thanks!"

Life is a lot easier, and they will invariable...invariably...allow you to live in peace.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 10:47 AM CDT
That was not a suggestion for Seb who is a thick-skinned, engaging good guy who is recognized for being able to handle the gamut of players effectively.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 11:19 AM CDT
>Not as easy as it looks. Playing good can have some depth and frustrations.

C'mon Seb I was joking!

>There have been some bad guys that have appeared with a thin veneer of RP in order to simply engage in CvC that they were pretty certain to win.

There have been some good guys that show up to mass gank the little bad guy as well, I can specifically remember a time when 10 people showed up for Khiol and his wife in Therengia and both of us had 3+ engaged to us at the same time. So the same kinda logic can be used on the other end as well. I have yet to come to Therengia and kill a single person myself. Why? because I am at the engagement cap with Therengians if I RP with you all. This kinda stuff could make the badguy wanna train his arse off just to come smash you all. So I think some of the problem if your having this issue at all still is something you may have indirectly contributed too.

That said you know how I play Khiol, I don't care to come up and die for the sake of some RP. But I come up knowing I'll just get ganked by 5+ people and stand no chance whatsoever IF I do his whole RP thing. If I come up and specifically target someone with little RP I might at least get one dead before the swarm. Or maybe a champion could step forth and take it upon his heroic arse to handle the issue himself? I dunno its all a grey area as I see it with no clear way to handle.

Not complaining just musing...

"Burn him! Burn him!" You hear the cries echo around you as everyone in the vicinity suddenly moves away, giving you a wide berth! It goes without saying you'll be wanted for forbidden practices in The Rakash Village.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 12:00 PM CDT
<<There have been some good guys that show up to mass gank the little bad guy as well

Oh, yes, my bad. You are right.. I should have made that bad and good guys.. it does work both ways.

~~~
True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 12:14 PM CDT
Its just hard to find a good medium in this type of conflict. Not even sure with the current playerbase that thier IS one :(

Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 06:21 PM CDT

>> Characters are not going to be sitting on a provincial throne in this game, and evil-doers will not be allowed to permanently run amok.

I love this whole thread except for that single statement. Its a PLAYER driven environment. If we don't show up, is there really any RP? I mean we can all sit and watched scripted GM interaction all day, lots of folks love to send their familiars and shadewatch mirrors and whatever else to see those types of interactions, but what purpose do they really serve outside of improving OUR plot?

Let the evil guys be evil, whatever form that takes. Wanna be a jerk, be a jerk. Wanna be a megalomaniac, be a megalomaniac. Wanna be the conniving, backstabbing, maneuvering social climber that might someday sneak their way into provincial power and you're willing to put in the work and time to do so, too bad. Wait, what? Too bad? Thats silly, we're allowed nearly any other freedom IG/IC to interact however we please, why not a provincial throne or a regional mayoral post? A player in charge of Rossman's Keep or Raven's Point would certainly do strange and interesting things to the RP surrounding those places.

I think we've run the gauntlet of player interaction and I know I for one am bored to death of it. Its either 'You're with group A' or 'You're with group B' and you're either driving conflict or tea parties without GM interaction. Let the players RUN things for a while, good or evil, how bad could it really be?

-O
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 06:53 PM CDT
I go along with what Osus is putting out there. The problem is you are working with a playerbase that largly does not work well together. The sheer amount of people that cry out about things not being fair is hard to swallow sometimes.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 08:27 PM CDT

<<The sheer amount of people that cry out about things not being fair is hard to swallow sometimes.>>>

Ding ding ding, lots of tears flow when things don't go the way someone planned.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 08:46 PM CDT
We haven't even gotten to the point that PCs can wear a straight Lord or Lady title, let alone be a mayor or monarch, but it would be fascinating to see and could be a lot of fun, I agree. I still think there should be a place where evil actually rules so that those that wish to RP evil can have a place to call home and the good guys are treading on dangerous ground to go into.

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/17/2013 11:05 PM CDT
<<Its just hard to find a good medium in this type of conflict. Not even sure with the current playerbase that thier IS one :(

This is true, nothing is going to be ideal, just have to roll with things. But hopefully discussions like this will at least lead to some more entertaining interactions. At some point, killing a foe repeatedly should become boring, I would think. It is quite futile in any case. Kill a necro one day and since we cant send them to their ultimate demise they will be back the next.

>> Characters are not going to be sitting on a provincial throne in this game, and evil-doers will not be allowed to permanently run amok.
<<I love this whole thread except for that single statement.

I would not disagree, but the established governments are not going away even if an uber-character kills all of the PCs that reside there repeatedly until they get tired of it and leave. There will still be a Baron, Princess, Ferdahl, or what have you. What would be nifty would be some areas that are not claimed by the provincial powers that could be ruled by whatever PC was up to it. It would be an interesting experiment at least. Failing that, perhaps some villainous towns or areas for the scum to congregate and plot or whatever. These things can be done (and likely are, I would think) in secret too. Just set up shop and RP it out.

Alas, players and GMs being human (I think), nothing is going to be perfect. Just have to roll with it.

~~~
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 06:59 AM CDT
>I still think there should be a place where evil actually rules so that those that wish to RP evil can have a place to call home and the good guys are treading on dangerous ground to go into.
>Failing that, perhaps some villainous towns or areas for the scum to congregate and plot or whatever.

This is one of those times where I'm not quite in the position to disclose certain things, but I'll leave it at this: Yeah, that really would be neat! :D

>Stuff from several people about higher ranking player positions.

Interestingly enough, this has sort of happened multiple times in the past, though not at a province-running level. For instance, there was a PC-run council that governed Leth in some fashion, and one in Dirge for awhile. Arthe Dale had the Thain (Mayor) position as a PC multiple times over the years, and I know that one in the very least was given GM-side recognition. There have been, and are, various Court and other provincial positions that players can hold. In certain guilds, relatively high ranking official positions have been held by different PCs at different times.

Now, none of this is constant, or a given. Sometimes positions that players can hold will go away/be refilled by a GMNPC for various reasons, sometimes the PCs holding those positions leave the game/decide they don't want that position anymore and for whatever reason, a suitable PC candidate isn't immediately available (or found for such a long time that people forget that it was ever held by a player). And, while I can't speak for all of the staff and can't predict the future, I imagine that NEW positions of various levels of import may pop up from time to time in the future, just as they have in the past, as the need arises and/or as the PC shows itself to be really dedicated to a certain line of RP that would make such a position something that us on the GM-end can officially recognize.

Most importantly, none of this is to say you can't form your OWN little shadow governments or other groups, especially in out of the way areas. This has been done before, sometimes to great effect. You can't always expect the Provincial sorts to recognize these positions, but with enough player support, you could certainly make a go of things, keeping in mind that the wrong kind of over advertizement could lead to the actual rulers taking offense, or deeming you insane/a threat. Stuff like this could work particularly well for shady or semi-underground groups, though, especially. That said, if a group like this (shady or not, depending) was willing to make the proper concessions to the GM/lore-supported governments, who knows? Maybe they could get some sort of semi-official or official backing too, eventually.

What I will say is that, on our end, we can't put players into ANY sort of 'official' positions lightly at all, and that becomes exponentially more true the 'higher up' the position is perceived to be. Favoritism, even the perception of it, can make what should be an awesome rp thing turn sour fast. There's also plenty of other ways this sort of stuff can go sideways, even when everyone involved has the best of intentions. While my PERSONAL philosophy is one of just playing through whatever happens, larger game-health considerations are always, ALWAYS, going to be at the forefront of these matters, no matter what else.

-Persida
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 10:37 AM CDT
Long live the King beyond the Ice Road! Long live Mad King Uthgaar!

Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 08:00 PM CDT
I love this idea, even if it was just something that was rp'd amongst a smaller group of us to start. What a fantastic suggestion
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 08:27 PM CDT
>>What I will say is that, on our end, we can't put players into ANY sort of 'official' positions lightly at all, and that becomes exponentially more true the 'higher up' the position is perceived to be.

I do feel that one of the reasons things like the Dirge Council worked so well is because, on a general player demographics level, few players really cared about Dirge, let alone having some kind of rp/faux-government involvement in it.

I think players have a better capability to get involved in local goings-on the more out of the way/smaller the location they try to target. GMs seem to appreciate when players don't always aim to have their characters run big fish positions in big fish locations, because it's pretty typical to want that. I could see a PC finding a place/rising in the ranks at Corik's Wall faster than I could see a PC finding a place/rising in the ranks in the Zoluren army, mainly because there aren't as many other players notably interested/invested in doing the same thing. I could see an PC Empath getting recognized as a caretaker of the Arthe Dale garden faster than if the same player did it at the High Temple gardens, etc.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 08:51 PM CDT
Lets also be honest for a second. Lets say some PC is anointed king or baron or whatever.... How many people are going to follow that person? How many people are going to kill that person on site? How many people are going to do what that PC orders? How many people will RP complete scorn and ridicule to that person?

I think this type of thing is best left to the NPCs.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 08:56 PM CDT
>>Lets also be honest for a second. Lets say some PC is anointed king or baron or whatever.... How many people are going to follow that person? How many people are going to kill that person on site? How many people are going to do what that PC orders? How many people will RP complete scorn and ridicule to that person?

>>I think this type of thing is best left to the NPCs.

Who also have players instinctively try and go against their orders, try and kill them on site and RP complete scorn and ridicule towards them.

The only difference is GMNPCs can then throw you in jail or banish you (Not that either has ever been a great motivator and due to the fact we can't just ruin a character even if logically that's what would happen).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/18/2013 09:03 PM CDT

<<The only difference is GMNPCs can then throw you in jail or banish you (Not that either has ever been a great motivator and due to the fact we can't just ruin a character even if logically that's what would happen).>>

GMNPCs won't cry to the GMs when things don't go their way causing more work and issues.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/19/2013 12:26 AM CDT
>>I still think there should be a place where evil actually rules so that those that wish to RP evil can have a place to call home and the good guys are treading on dangerous ground to go into.
>Failing that, perhaps some villainous towns or areas for the scum to congregate and plot or whatever.

>This is one of those times where I'm not quite in the position to disclose certain things, but I'll leave it at this: Yeah, that really would be neat! :D

That would be spectacular. Would love to see something along the lines of a Haloga/Angband/Zamora mix..removed enough from Crossing and Therengia geographically so the good guys would have to put a little effort into starting trouble there. Very inhospitable to good guys but a little dangerous to the bad guys as well because the ruling powers wouldn't want serious competition.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/19/2013 01:51 AM CDT
>>Very inhospitable to good guys but a little dangerous to the bad guys as well because the ruling powers wouldn't want serious competition.

I think we call that the MM guild?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/19/2013 04:29 PM CDT
In the end the complainers win out. It's completly impossible to make everyone happy and no matter how good you do someone will dislike you and find flaws in anything you do. The best bet for something like this is doing it as far out of the public scope as possible.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/19/2013 05:24 PM CDT

>>Long live the King beyond the Ice Road! Long live Mad King Uthgaar!

you forgot the part about waffles
Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/20/2013 10:39 AM CDT
>>Who also have players instinctively try and go against their orders, try and kill them on site and RP complete scorn and ridicule towards them.

I think GMs are more capable of handling that stuff, though, mainly because they have GM powers.

>>The only difference is GMNPCs can then throw you in jail or banish you (Not that either has ever been a great motivator and due to the fact we can't just ruin a character even if logically that's what would happen).

For example, yeah! I think GMNPCs also have the benefits of not having to deal with dopes who don't get when to stop during the "off season" when said PC-nobility is out hunting, or just chatting with some other people, etc. GMNPCs also don't have to deal with graverobbing, exp loss, etc.

Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/20/2013 11:07 AM CDT
>you forgot the part about waffles

Oh my! How could I have forgotten! I'll present myself for punishment promptly.

Long live the King beyond the Ice Road! Long Live Mad King Uthgaar! May waffles abound within his lands!
May the enemies waffle stores rot and sicken them!

Re: Role-playing "evil", the two proper ways. 05/20/2013 12:26 PM CDT
<<Ding ding ding, lots of tears flow when things don't go the way someone planned.

On both sides of the good/bad table and from all shades in between. Although, sometimes that is fun as well.

Just RP and let it roll.

Madigan

You sense the Clarity spell upon you, which will last for about seven thousand eight hundred thirty-six roisaen.
You sense the Anti-Stun spell upon you, which will last for about seven thousand eight hundred thirty-five roisaen.