Afk but RP scripted 01/11/2013 12:55 PM CST
I've been toying with the idea of making a script much like the current NPC's have in regard to being questioned.

ask kssarh about suchnsuch

I'd put it on a character specifically made to only do that in the off hours when I'm not actually playing. He/she wouldn't gain experience/money during that time, maybe I'd do a sub-script to show him/her doing things in a specific area.

Is this something that sounds like a good idea? I'd post their whereabouts in an appropriate place on the forums and a clue as to what might get them started or what questions to ask.

ask Esmerelda McFatrich about bridge

Esmerelda McFatrich blinks at you

Esmerelda McFatrich says, "I don't know how you got that information but for 1 bronze I'd be willing to pass along your interest to the necessary party."

The bronze would be more for an IC trigger than a monetary gain, which is frowned on by simu. In the interest of RP I'm hoping that the completely inconsequential amount will be ignored. I guess I could tell them to bring back a certain herb or something.

This is just an example. A series of questions would be required to get to the heart of the matter. Just curious if there would be interest in this and it's not out of bounds as far as the rules go.

The end result of this would be sort of a player run task system, introduction into an ongoing plot or even a recruitment tool for an Order.

Avrii says, "I'll train while youre not on and other than that you'll never see me."
You say, "Maybe y'should start wif that."
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/11/2013 01:32 PM CST
Make it cost a "smile" or a "hug" or "wink" or something.

Then I think you'd probably be okay.

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/11/2013 02:16 PM CST
Remember, afk scripting is illegal if anybody gains from it. And there are certain things you can't stop people from doing, like giving you coins. Even if you don't ask for it, you could get in trouble for it.

Elemental Lord Opieus, Master Warrior Mage of Elanthia
"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/11/2013 07:37 PM CST
Bad idea.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/12/2013 08:05 AM CST
Very, very, bad idea. GMs do not want players creating static AFK npc bots, the abuse line is simply too fine.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/12/2013 07:21 PM CST
If you like to make NPCs, why don't you apply to be a GM? I hear they need more minions, I mean help.

Nikpack
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 07:24 AM CST

you probably wouldn't be able to do it in prime, but if you want to do it as an exercise in script-writing, to see whether you can take into account all the various actions, etc - why not sign up for TF and try it over there? There's people that I'm sure could help you with your script and they've done heal-bots, boat-bots, moongatebots, traderbots, etc. Couldn't hurt if you're eventually planning on going for GM-dom to be able to point to a character and show what you've managed to do. :-)

natch it wouldnt be a RP thing, but it could be done that way.

<<The real thing DR needs is to get out there to the kids who actually read books.>>
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 11:52 AM CST
> why not sign up for TF and try it over there?

Not sure if this is a joke or not. I'm pretty sure he wanted his character to actually INTERACT with people. Haha.
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 12:16 PM CST
I don't know why people are slamming this idea.

So he puts a player next to a bridge and gives random bits of lore and trivia for hugs or grins or something?

Yeah, someone can give him money, but someone can do that if you go afk (with the verb) and just stand in a guild.

I would say, set your avoids, set your demeanor, make sure you put up sleep (or daydream), and keep your commentary constructive, relevant, and historically accurate.

Would it be better if he was atk while doing this? Yes. But I don't see it any different than folks that leaves themselves in game to read the gweth chatter when they get home, or get the exp drain if they aren't going to be logged for the optimal amount of time.

Worst case, you get a slap on the wrist. These guys in here are just playing the ultra conservative, ultra corporate policy.

Go for it. They'll tell you no if it's an offense, and probably already would have if this was a huge no-no.

Just my take.

Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 12:18 PM CST
Double post...

With all the AFK scripting that is abundant in Prime, if he did get busted for something like this, I'd have to post and wonder what they are doing to stop all the other people that are doing it FOR GAIN and to the detriment of other people's playing experience.

Again, just my take.

Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 12:57 PM CST
>>I don't know why people are slamming this idea.

Because, despite being a nice RP idea, it's something that will get him in trouble.

>>Worst case, you get a slap on the wrist.

Worst case, you get busted for AFK scripting, lose your ability to have your actual characters drain exp while offline.

The teeth lands a solid (5/23) hit that pokes the teeth into Turul's rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 12:57 PM CST
>These guys in here are just playing the ultra conservative, ultra corporate policy.

No, we're just warning him that this idea could get him in trouble under certain conditions.

>Worst case, you get a slap on the wrist.

Worse case he gets a warning, loses offline drain and grandfathering of skills for 3.0 on all characters on the account.

>I don't know why people are slamming this idea.

I'm not slamming the idea, I'm just warning him of the possible consequences. I think it's a neat idea, and have thought about a similar script myself, but not to leave running over night.

>They'll tell you no if it's an offense, and probably already would have if this was a huge no-no.

I think they're a bit busy with other things at the moment, and don't respond to every question even when they aren't in the middle of a major rewrite of the entire game.

"For a bunch of radical empiricists, the Philosophers' system relies on a whole lot of faith." ~Armifer
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 02:18 PM CST
<And grandfathering of skills for 3.0 on all characters on the account.>

This has been confirmed as not happening for what it's worth.

- Buuwl
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 03:36 PM CST
>This has been confirmed as not happening for what it's worth.

I thought new skills would be grandfathered, but existing/combining skills would not be grandfathered to your current level unless you had gained a level. Maybe that was only if you'd lost experience from multiple AFK scripting offenses?

Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 07:01 PM CST
New skills will still be grandfathered, the skills just won't be grandfathered up to current guild reqs from what I've heard.
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 07:45 PM CST
>>New skills will still be grandfathered, the skills just won't be grandfathered up to current guild reqs from what I've heard.<<

nope

and

<< I thought new skills would be grandfathered, but existing/combining skills would not be grandfathered to your current level unless you had gained a level. Maybe that was only if you'd lost experience from multiple AFK scripting offenses?>>

nope

- Buuwl
Re: Afk but RP scripted 01/13/2013 09:25 PM CST
Late, but Socharis post says no grandfathering will be hindered. Everyone gets what everyone gets, regardless of past, history, transgressions, etc.

You'll still get grandfathered like normal. For everything.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.