What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:34 AM CDT
Why do they call it rp if no one bothers to actually rp anymore? It just seems that everyone's answer to someone doing something is "I'll just kill you". For example, my character just wanted to hang out with another character, but said characters ig mother didnt want that. So her answer? "Stay away or I'll kill you" No actual reasoning, no trying to rp the thing out, no letting my character and the person he wanted to hang out with ACTUALLY hang out so they could work out some rp of their own, no just the ig mother locating over and over and over and siccing other people and just "I told you stay away or I will kill you"

Seriously? People can't come up with ANYTHING else? No trying to act it out with arguments and explanations and other things. There are SO many possibilies that can be done but NO ONE wants to do anything anymore but kill people. I mean geez, if you arent hunting and leveling up then your character is considered useless. Not EVERYONE has the same schedule and can train obsessively and not EVERYONE wants to. Yes, in the real world we go to war to solve problems. But first, we try to talk it out. And while on that subject, people need to realize just cause your character can kill my character doesnt mean you are better than me, it just means you have more time on your hands than I do.

But people really need to try thinking outside the box. Violence all the time is boring and if I wanted to see that I would watch the news. So maybe some rp class for people to learn other methods other than "I will kill you". Something to think about.

>get stone
You get a nemmiro stone from inside your inspector's satchel.
>focus my stone
You focus your magical senses on a nemmiro stone.
The stone seems to be able to convert Moon mana to Evil mana.
Roundtime: 15 Sec.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:58 AM CDT
>NO ONE wants to do anything anymore but kill people.

Don't worry, there are still people out there who like to RP, and do so by talking things out. At least, I do. Not everyone is interested in RP though, and it's important to respect that, especially when the player communicates it through some OOC channel. (And even when it's purely for IC reasons that they don't want to be involved.)

Take special care if you are a Necromancer. There are plenty of people who will talk to you, but they are Hard Mode for RP as well as mechanically. Many people simply can't in good conscience allow their characters to interact with a Necromancer, even if the Necromancer is currently being peaceful/harmless. There is a huge IC stigma, they could be looked down upon by their friends, family, royalty, gods, etc.

Have you tried talking with the IG mother out of character, explaining that you would like the chance to build something up in secret with the son only to be ousted later?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 04:08 AM CDT
Just because you are interested in roleplaying a situation a certain way, it doesn't mean everyone else is. You can't force other players to roleplay with you or to your idea of how a situation should go. For some characters, violence is how they would react. The majority of adventurers just are that way. No, it's not that original, creative, or really all that entertaining but they're having fun doing it or they wouldn't be here. If you don't like it - you need to find people with a compatible style of roleplay to engage in it with.

Personally I'd love to see more attempts to roleplay things out but heck, we can't even get people to stop saying jarring OOC things "brb" and "sorry rl stuff". A polite request for them to keep that to whispers usually gets me being accused of being "the roleplay police". (Srsly it's a roleplaying game - if getting asked to take your OOC discussion in a public area to whispers offends you... I don't know what to tell you.)

While you have a valid point that is frequently an issue, your example here is a bad one.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 05:27 AM CDT
>>my character just wanted to hang out with another character, but said characters ig mother didn't want that. So her answer? "Stay away or I'll kill you"<<

As a RL father of two daughters I could take this scenario IG and absolutely RP it exactly the way this person did. I'd say you missed an opportunity for some RP with a very protective mother.

Elvis has left the building.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 07:43 AM CDT
Depending on the situation specifics, it could have been perfectly valid RP and might have resulted in a great scenario.

Partially because death is a minor inconvenience in DR. You could have missed some golden fun RP, but I know I would have stepped away when she went full blown crazy kill on me.

There needs to be a distinguished between IC 'we are RPing this, please play along' and OOC 'I'm crraaaaaaazy and this is my stay away alarm'.

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:04 PM CDT
Well lets see here since I am the angry mother I will respond here. I did try and RP with you I showed up on 3 seperate occasions when you were with my IG daughter I gave you a list of reasons more than once that I did not want you anywhere near her. However, you continued to defy what I had said and I waited to the very last minute to kill you. I even very politely explained to you in OOC whispers why this was a bad way to RP considering my daughters position and things. You didn't want to hear anything but what you wanted to say. If I wanted to just kill you i would have done so the first time and every time after.

Now the part that was left out is after you didn't get your way. Your warned interacted me...... Umm ok way to end any and all RP regarding this.

Crazy Mother
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:06 PM CDT
Ya, uh, still sound crazy. Not that I have a horse in this race.

Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:26 PM CDT

well since I also don't really have a dog in this fight, but was there for all this, no less then 6 people informed the OP that said daughter wanted nothing to do with them. Insistant on his desires, he ignored this until said daughter gave up and logged for the night to get away from things. There was plenty of RP oppurtunity, but the OP didn't wish to have any interactions that deviated from their desired outcome. I know someone will point out my RP shortcomings in the past and I accept that I was not always up to snuff, but attempting to force something that isn't there for days(even after being kicked out of the Baron's B-day party for doing it, by the Baron) isn't RP....its stalking.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 02:39 PM CDT

If the character is doing something in the game(or even if it's not and is just sitting there) that character is roleplaying IMO. The character is existing in the world, and therefore is performing a role.

The exception to this rule is when the character is being blatantly OOC, and you can make your character roleplay around situations like that. i.e. by having no clue what that character is talking about and viewing it as insane.

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 03:08 PM CDT

Reminder: This is the Roleplaying in General folder, not the conflicts folder.

While it's not there yet, this one has potential to head over to the OOC Conflicts folder.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 03:13 PM CDT
>>While it's not there yet, this one has potential to head over to the OOC Conflicts folder.

I second this motion!
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 03:25 PM CDT
One of my personalities was there for the party and some of the aftermath. From my perspective, there was plenty of RP going on. Overprotective mother, overprotective ex, overprotective friends, all with a very demure and blushing girl who from all appearances was enjoying the attention.

I totally understand the OP's frustration about the situation. But sometimes RP doesn't work out the way you want it to because you're not RPing in a vacuum - there are other people with their own needs, desires and goals that have to exist together in this universe we call Elanthia.

"Sometimes I have parties at my house in Nashville and it's clothing-optional, and we just body-paint each other and run around." -Ke$ha
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 04:03 PM CDT
I have to correct one thing by, well whoever posted it. Kyo got kicked out of the baron's party for trying to antagonize Evro. Not for hitting on anyone. And the other player expressed no concerns about my characters behaviour, at least to me. If they dont tell me they dont like it, then it doesnt count cause I am not psychic. I AM however, hoping that public drinking water will finally make me tho. There are CERTAINLY enough chemicals in it.

But I did not post this to turn it into a conflict, because everyone is going to have their own personal view of what happened. I am sure Crazy feels like she is 100% correct on her part and the other 6 people on theres (I dont recall 6 people telling me to stay away but okay). The truth of the matter is, everyone is going to say, so I did it this way and they were in the wrong. Lets leave it at EVERYONE, including you Crazy, is in the wrong and just leave it at that. For the record, said daughter has not actually ever told me (ig or ooc) "Leave me alone", and CERTAINLY not in front of any other players. Until said daughter actually comes out, and I certainly am not gonna ask her to do this because I think enough people have put enough pressure on the player, and says "Yeah he WAS harrassing me" which, ironically, she hasnt, then this is all a moot point.

The POINT is that there are other ways than violence to rp. And a suggestion of, well you can be friends in im's but not ig, is not one them. She started good, saying she was going to drag her daughter off to somewhere else. And thats good rp. But just going to threats doesn't solve anything, nor does getting other people to make your threats for you.

The other player (of the daughters character) and I actually had come up with a plan that we could do some Romeo and Juliet kinda thing. Something like that. And things like that are the kind of rp things that I want people to consider. Well not that EXACTLY. But how can two people even rp when they are being spied on at every single moment? Even when they run into each other by accident. Yes, I get the overprotective mother thing, but there is OVERKILL. And sometimes, warn interact does need to be used if the person cant be reasoned with and insists that if you are basically even in the same room as the daughter, I will kill you every time, even AFTER you asked them ooc that they needed to basically back down and take a breather (well different words but same meaning)

Again, I didnt start this to start a conflict. I am just looking for other people who have ideas and who also feel that we rush too quickly to the "I will kill you" stage in rp'ing.

>get stone
>focus my stone
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 04:16 PM CDT
>>we rush too quickly to the "I will kill you" stage in rp'ing.

I will agree with you in that I personally wish others would exercise other more creative options with conflict besides sword > face; however, it is only a personal want, not a need, and I do not begrudge anyone for choosing the sword > face option as it is their right in a roleplaying game :)

If only I played an evil character... I'd never kill anyone but it would be so glorious how I would make them suffer :'(

__
You hear the voice of Jaedren exclaim, "Look! I'm Leilond!"
You notice Jaedren come out of hiding.
Jaedren shimmers out of sight.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 04:25 PM CDT
>>The POINT is that there are other ways than violence to rp.
And again based on this example, it seems like those options were explored. However, when push comes to shove most people do get violent. Especially when what they see as protecting family is involved.

>>But just going to threats doesn't solve anything
...again, if you don't like how they are reacting, you can't force them to roleplay a certain way. Please find a more constructive outlet for your creativity by roleplaying with more like-minded players.

>>I am just looking for other people
It seems like you are looking for people to side with your actions. If you are not looking to make a conflict, why not move on to a different scenario? This one obviously is not going to go a way you are happy with.

While you have a valid point that violence is used as a solution perhaps too often in game, in this situation and with this example, I can't find any fault with the other parties. You can only control your actions.

You've reached the uninformative help match I haven't written yet.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 04:50 PM CDT
>>It seems like you are looking for people to side with your actions. If you are not looking to make a conflict, why not move on to a different scenario? This one obviously is not going to go a way you are happy with.

>While you have a valid point that violence is used as a solution perhaps too often in game, in this situation and with this example, I can't find any fault with the other parties. You can only control your actions.

I came back to the forums to check something and came across your suggestions. I agree with you. Its possible I was looking for something more....detailed and involved but maybe instead of just doing it, the player of the daughter and I should have talked ooc to all parties involved and seen if they were interested in something like that. I think part of the problem is that dr itself has become somewhat....lacking in rp situations right now. And hey, I am sure they are busy with 3.0. But it doesnt work if not all parties are interested in something detailed like that. And the suggestion to move on sounds good and I will discuss it with the player of the daughter to see what she wants. I actually already have another rp idea, involving how the roles of the gods and the roles of authority work with clerics. Its more involved than that but I am not sure where to put it. I asked a gm and they said in rp in forums but dont know if this is the folder or another one is.

>get stone
>focus my stone
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 05:43 PM CDT
>dr itself has become somewhat....lacking in rp situations right now. And hey, I am sure they are busy with 3.0.

GMs do not create RP.

They create RP scenarios which people play inside.

There should, and I mean should, not can or might or maybe or someday or anything else wishy washy, but should, be RP outside of 'GMX popped in and we all stopped our afk scripts and went and moshed him'.

Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 06:19 PM CDT
See my response in conflicts. I got tired of trying to skirt the edges of being conflictual in my post.

https://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Social%20Side%20of%20DragonRealms/Conflicts%20-%20Strictly%20Out%20of%20Character/view/4558

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 10:25 PM CDT
Wait a minute? FAHR is Kyodan? Oh wow, that explains a lot.

Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/02/2012 11:48 PM CDT
>Wait a minute? Fahr is Kyodan? Oh wow, that really doesn't explain a lot.

We agree. Fahr and Kyodan are two different entities. One is a real person ,one isnt. One lives on the planet, the other in a computer. One raises people from the dead, and the other is a cleric. Learn to separate fact and fiction people geez!

On a completely separate note, I had a rp idea requarding clerics and their devotion to the gods vs their responsibilities to the provinces. A gm told me I should ask here but I want actual advice and based on a fair amount of the comments, I don't think I am gonna get it here. So would it just be easier to talk to feedback about it instead? Or is there anyone here, obviously not you Grimwhereveryournameis, who would be able to give ACTUAL rp advice on the subject?

>Some people might call me an idiot. Craig Fergison has been called an idiot. Some of the best comedians have been called idiots. The president of the united states has been called an idiot. So I say....God bless the idiots and I am DAMN proud to be among em!
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? 10/03/2012 05:03 AM CDT
Emailing feedback sounds like a GREAT idea.

Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? ::Thread Over:: 10/03/2012 06:37 AM CDT

This one is done.

The snark goes elsewhere.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: What happened to ACTUAL RP? ::Thread Over, Still:: 10/03/2012 08:20 AM CDT
Nope, I'm pretty sure this thread is still over.

Find a way to express yourself in a constructive manner, and address the points of the posts without the snarking and potshots at the other posters.

But no, still over.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor