Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 09:02 AM CDT
Gonif, PB, and anyone else involved that I didn't catch;

Just to restate my opinion, especially in Platinum, there is absolutely no place for someone to use their own alts to gauge the effectiveness of their skills and/or abilities. You kinda have a responsability to playing multiple characters, and one of those is to treat them as seperate individuals, not pets for the others to take advantage of as needed. I mean, I had plenty of characters in addition to Lakus in plat, but I never gave my lockpicks to any of them, nor did I transfer boxes from one character to Lakus just so I could get more box ranks with Lakus. Lakus didn't know these people, and given that I could only be playing one of them at a time, it's a fair assumption he *NEVER WOULD*. However, to nail my post home... even worse than picking my moon mages boxes with Lakus would be if I logged in a character, and used his perception as a gauge if I could steal coin from whoever else happened to be at the northeast gate. Or if I used him to distract another player while I moved in for a backstab, or whatever. None of those could be considered good RP in any way. Now, you are right about one thing. You insist on doing it that way, and while I do not approve, I'm a smart individual, and I will take your OOC information to heart when I play Taksis the next time. 60 circle, low DO means a cast of 8 should do it. Got it. The fact is, there is no logical way that you can tell me that your moon mage woulda been okay with percieving your necto, and calmly saying "Yep, yer a necro, I can still tell." All I'm saying is own up that you are abusing the environment that you play in, and own your choices in this text-based life we participate in.
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 09:22 AM CDT
can you at least link us to the original thread so that people have context or something

-Mr. Glemm
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 09:39 AM CDT
>>The fact is, there is no logical way that you can tell me that your moon mage woulda been okay with percieving your necto, and calmly saying "Yep, yer a necro, I can still tell."

I'll ignore the mention of alts, since I wasn't talking about the ICness of using alts. I was strictly saying that there is a recognizable history of people from other guilds assisting Necromancers or having Necromancers as assistants. So when someone says something along the lines of "You can't possibly ask a Moon Mage to test Rite of Contrition's effects that is entirely out of character and bad roleplaying!," they're wrong. If you think it is illogical for a Moon Mage to be cool with being around a Necromancer, you're incorrect. If you believe that society (aka: social outrage) should properly reflect if someone is known to associate with a Necromancer, that's another story.

>>can you at least link us to the original thread so that people have context or something

Too lazy to look up the original link, but it amounted to this:

Person 1: "I wonder what RoC says while working on the Moon Mage/Empath/Cleric end"
Gonif: "I'll try it out and let you know"
Person 2: "You can't possibly try it out! You can't ask a Moon Mage/Empath/Cleric to do that! How can you just walk up to a random Moon Mage/Empath/Cleric and ask that!"
Me: "While it would be amazingly dumb for a Philosopher to just ask a random Moon Mage/Empath/Cleric for assistance WRT testing the effects of a spell, it isn't set-in-stone OOC to have a Philosopher work with/for/or alongside someone from another guild. See: People associated with Sorrow/Sidholt/Velmix/etc."

In the end. people from Plat are mad at Gonif, because somethingsomethingsomething, and that somehow gets dragged into discussions in the Prime folder. Again.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 10:02 AM CDT
I agree with Pureblade.

Also, there is a completely different thing to consider -- whether it's "okay" to do such checks OOC.

The way I see it, the game exists for us to have fun. As long as my fun isn't trampling on someone else's fun, I see no reason that I must do things in a certain way.

The way I play is that, when I'm interacting with other people, I am 100% in character. When I'm alone, I do as I like. Strictly speaking, my character probably would not be hunting critter X for an entire Elanthian day without a break, but sometimes this happens! And that's okay with me.

Further, sometimes I get together with good friends and do tests. Sometimes this means characters who don't really know each other end up together for a short time. Sometimes they cast things at each other! This is also okay with me. I get to choose what I want to take into my character's IC memory. As long as all parties are aware of what's OOC, I'm fine.

If it enhances your feeling of RP to keep from doing things like this, that's also fine. And it's fine to recommend this to others. But, please don't tell me I'm not a good roleplayer if I occasionally goof off OOC.
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 10:58 AM CDT
~PB. I very likely misread your earlier comments, and apologize for lumping you in at the start of the thread if I was mistaken.

~WoodHamr3 My apologies. I was in a hurry to put my thoughts on virtual-paper, and neglected to link the previous posts.

~all others. While I admit I am making comments regarding Gonifs choices of RP in a platinum environment, I don't play plat anymore, so have no specific issue with how she does whatever wherever. Mostly, I'm talking from my past interactions with plat and poointing out that as I recall the environment over there, there is no way to successfully pull off the tests she is wanting to do and remain true to the environment. Beyond that, I say the following. I am more than willing to use the empirical data gathered regarding RoC in an OOC methodology to improve my playing of my necro. I am unwilling to agree that it is possible to gather said information and maintain that you are "being true to the RP of your character".

Lastly, I want to reiterate that I do not feel someone is a bad roleplayer if they do tests to discover OOC information to improve character performance. I am a huge fan of doing exactly that. I'm just saying that a.) plat isn't the environment for it, and b.) don't do it, and say you are still supah-rp.

Apologies, if the tone is unappreciated.

Taksis.
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 11:55 AM CDT
>>b.) don't do it, and say you are still supah-rp.

While I'm doing it, no, obviously that's not RP. In general, I'd still consider myself a good RPer, despite my (private) moments of goofing off.

I don't want to come off sounding mad or defensive or anything. I just want to warn you that you might rub people the wrong way if you pass that kind of judgment. It's just an awfully big thing to lay on someone, to say, "if you do anything OOC ever, even when by yourself, you're not a good RPer."
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 12:35 PM CDT
damned if you do, damned if you don't. It seems any quest for information is a target for condemnation that you aren't "RPING" correctly if you are doing things BEHIND CLOSED doors with your OWN characters and only reporting on the results on the OOC boards. Fine.

Then make it IC. "My necro is more powerful than the rest of her family. She's performing ungodly ghastly experiments on them, without their knowledge or by terrifying them out of their wits." IC enough, prithily??? blargh. Frankly, I don't see any questioning of people who do the SAME thing with their alts in prime, nor other plat players who do other stuff with their own alts. <sell bundles/gems/teach steal, use alt empaths,clerics etc, etc.> Moral of the story? Don't share information that might come in handy to other players because someones nose might get out of joint. And by the way, tote will not ever get her hands on any of shayddows crafted lockpicks.
Although the GMs are opening up crafting of stuff to everyone. Contrary to the whole plat Lockpick tradition. So she might well end up making her own. and she can already make her own poison as well. Plus necros are getting crafting skills to poison. Not only thieves. As characters go, necromancers are fairly self-sufficient, not having to rely on empaths/clerics. So the occasional "experiment" is just that. something that isn't broadcast over the gweth, something that takes place in secret.

And Pureblade/gnome-necroguy is correct. Historically necromancers HAVE had dealings with others on a "as needed" basis. As have the other guilds. You happen to have a Moonmage Tezirite? Take a close look inside the sect hall in Throne City, with a close eye to the books in the library, as well as the color scheme. Right down to the pants sold in the Tezirite sect hall down south, with red spirals decorating 'em. Look up the history of the Zaulfang stones. Who was with 'em when they were constructed, and "lent their forbidden magic" so as to complete their construction? Yup. A Necromancer. Jomay - albeit a twisted empath - had dealings with Lord Sorrow. and lets not forget Lasarathha's dealings with Moonmages Before the "children" event.

And then, there was Dzree. used the magic to extend her own existence. Plus practiced it in the creation of the Adan'f.

And, more recently, the uncle who preceded Vorclaf to the throne. A necromancer on the throne of Zoluren? who woulda thought. He had everyone fooled, including those there at his coronation. <I attended both coronations - in prime and in plat. Nobody had any suspicions of the fellow, who was thought to be a cleric. Interestingly enough.>

And then there was the outcast king, who although not a necromancer, utilized a necromanticly tainted blade to remove the favors of the Ferdahl K<name i can't spell nor pronounce>.

So dealings have been done with necromancers by many.

Necromancers are shunned by society, but that doesn't mean they haven't had influence upon it, either individually nor collectively.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 01:15 PM CDT
Once more, and I'm just gonna fade off on this one, because I've gotten peoples heckles up, and I didn't mean to.

Just like what caused me to decide, once and for all that John Kerry should not be elected.
a.) He said "vote for me, I'm catholic"
b.) He took a different stance on issues than the pope.

You can not have it both ways. if he wanted my vote because he's catholic, he can't not support the pope. and if he wants to be elected because of his stances on the issues, don't say "vote for me, I'm catholic"

Gonif, my analogy is as follows.

a.) You said, paraphrased, "I have a well thought out, personal history, and RP accordingly in the DR Platinum environment."
b.) You then said, again, paraphrased "I use my other account to test game mechanics and adjust my character play accordingly"

You *can not* have it both ways. If you want me to acknowledge your well thought out and RP'd personal history in DRPlat, then you cannot spend your time using your other accounts to test game mechanics. If you want to use your other accounts to test game mechanics do not at the same time point to your well thought out and RP'd personal history in DRPlat. Simple.

Once again, I apologize if I've ruffled any feathers. I *Do Not* disagree with the concept of testing gaming mechanics, in fact, I'm a huge proponent of it. All I am saying is own your stance and gameplay style.

Taksis
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 01:43 PM CDT
>>You can not have it both ways. if he wanted my vote because he's catholic, he can't not support the pope.

Considering the problems going on in the Catholic Church these days, that was a pretty bad analogy to try and make. I know plenty of people who don't support what the Pope is doing while still seeing themselves as Roman Catholics.

>>I *Do Not* disagree with the concept of testing gaming mechanics, in fact, I'm a huge proponent of it.

Someone can be a heavy roleplayer while also taking breaks to test out game mechanics. Unless someone is testing out game mechanics in a public area, what's the big deal?

Of course, what I said is null and void if someone is trying to RP out that they're testing game mechanics in a very OOC manner. If someone OOCly wants to find out the verbage messaging that alerts people that someone with EotB is in the room and then ICly give a presentation on what people experience, more power to them. What's the alternative, reading Elanthipedia and having your character parrot that knowledge that way? At the same time, if someone tries to report on their "studies" or whatever while also talking about "friends" or "family members" or all these awkward talk arounds for alts, I'd rather not hear about it, especially when the player in question doesn't want those characters facing repercussions for being complicit in these kinds of tests if it becomes known that they're taking place.

In the end, it boils down to how I don't need to know how sausage is made. Trying to close all possible holes like who you did the testing with and how they're cool with Necromancy or etc etc etc just makes things even more awkward. I'm cool with someone just going "I found some stupid people" or just knowing that the spell pattern displays blah blah blah because that's what we're proactively doing.

As another terrible analogy, it's the same as when someone tells someone over AIM "Oh there's a cool event going on, you should get here quick." I don't think it's OOC or bad roleplaying to contact another player through out of game means, but at the same time please don't go "MY MESSENGER PIGEON HAS ALERTED ME OF THIS BLAH BLAH BLAH." There are better, more IC ways to justify when you're there than all these silly blatantly obvious excuses. With this new event GM push o give event alerts on the DragonRealms Twitter (for plat, too!), it's not like I don't expect people to follow those alerts as a reason to show up somewhere. At the same time, I'd rather not hear about how they learned of trouble through Tweetie or MYSTICAL MESSAGING or whateverthehell.

"We're not "out to get you," we're here to enhance your playing experience with extreme prejudice.," DR-ARMIFER
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 01:52 PM CDT
>>If you want me to acknowledge you...

That's pretty much what I got out of that.

Just so you know, I don't believe that everyone has your same idea on how Plat style roleplay should be handled. I see no reason why someone would need to hop servers in order to test a game mechanic when doing said testing on the Plat server is not in the presence of another player. As long as they're not doing it infront of anyone how does that break roleplay?

If they're blatantly doing it infront of other characters then sure, there's a problem which should be addressed. Or, if there is somewhere explicitely stated in Plat policy that this is forbidden then sure, I can get behind the rules. But otherwise it is merely your own interpretation of how the game should be played and at that point I have to ask, if no one else is around to see it what is it really hurting?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 02:07 PM CDT
I have not represented myself well, I guess. One final apology if I ruffled anyone's feathers.

Have a good night, folks.

Taksis
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 03:00 PM CDT
>>I have not represented myself well, I guess. One final apology if I ruffled anyone's feathers.

Depends on what you mean by "representing [yourself] well".

If you mean, you haven't been able to articulate what you really mean, then I think you're wrong. Most people understand your concerns; they just think they're unreasonable.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 04:36 PM CDT
Things can be and are tested OOC within the Plat environment. That occurs individually, with other players and with GMs.

We just need to be sensitive to the other players where and how we do it.

Asbhuan/Plat
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 04:44 PM CDT
If what is done OOC in isolation makes that much of a difference to people, then either don't mention that part, or just lie about it.

"I tested X with my necro and moonie in TF and found Y."

Doesn't matter that you actually used your plat necro and moonie in one of your characters' houses or something, as long as there were no witnesses.

Ogdaro
Re: Continued from the necro boards 09/21/2010 07:32 PM CDT
<<I tested X with my necro and moonie in TF and found Y.>>

heh, i'd actually have to have time to play TF again? gods.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Continued from the necro boards 10/21/2010 03:18 AM CDT
I'm RP Medium, I do what I want.

wins
Re: Continued from the necro boards 03/12/2013 11:45 AM CDT
>heh, i'd actually have to have time to play TF again? gods.

You need time to play TF?
Re: Continued from the necro boards 03/12/2013 12:17 PM CDT
>>You need time to play TF?

Writing a good script that will do everything you want takes a boat load of time.
Re: Continued from the necro boards 03/12/2013 09:54 PM CDT
>>Writing a good script that will do everything you want takes a boat load of time.<<

QFT. And let's not forget about the endless tweaking after it's written...

"EMPATHS RULE ELANTHIA -- ALL SHALL LOVE US AND DESPAAAAAIR" ~GM Melete