Figures 06/25/2002 11:26 PM CDT
Sorta figures that this folder is unvisited, they all over in the 2 conflicts folder bashing one another.

Just a shame that some folks dont know how to RP 2 or more different chars, it becomes obvious at times whos a 2nd acct char for some people or even a 2nd char on the same acct.

Any care to post some good tips to separate chars & not have them all end up sounding exactly alike?
Re: Figures 06/25/2002 11:46 PM CDT
In certain cases, if you role-play them as being of the same race, and 'family', they may share certain characteristics.

But what I do is give each of them a different background--make up a story for each one. Give them different gods, different interests,hobbies, try to think of situations and how they'd react to each one.

Have them occasionally disagree on certain subjects--even if they ARE family--brothers and sisters quarrel too! But they present a united front to outsiders.....<i.e.the old
I can call my brother a no-good,low-life snake in the grass, but don't you or I'll clobber you>.

Schvartzgonif & family
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 12:01 AM CDT
I have several characters and each one is different. One plays a grumpy old warrior mage, another a friendly, bubbly cleric, and another that is a quiet dutiful empath. It's not that hard, it's like changing a cassette in your head.
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 02:23 AM CDT
<Any care to post some good tips to separate chars & not have them all end up sounding exactly alike? >

Certainly...

1) Don't make them family, don't advertise them to your first char's friends and don't act like you're suddenly friends with people that know your first char but not this one.

2) Give them different background stories to develope different personalities. You might like to play all elves, but that doesn't mean they all have to be alike.

3) Involve them all in different things and have them live in different cities.

4) Don't be whispering to people 'Hey, I'm so and so in another body' because THEY will expect you to act the same with both chars.

5) Dress them differently, different styles colors .. have different tastes in food.. different preferences in friends.

6) Give them different accents and mannerisms.

7) Spend a moment when you log on 'getting into charactor' just like you would any other performance. Don't play your empath if you really feel like killing something.

8) Get more indepth into the race/clan you're playing. Your Gor'tog is NOT going to act like your Prydaen.. I would hope.

Is that enough or would you like more? (smiles softly)

Cat, who still shocks people when they find out she plays Dianelle, Tessielle and Lyssah. (yes, some of them ARE family and know the same groups of people but in a very different context of interaction)
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 11:05 AM CDT
As a few who know me well know, I play a large number of characters. I spend a few moments before actually logging in 'turning on' the specific character's personality. For instance, one is an extremely bouncy, constantly excited little lass. Another one might be very quiet, but with a number of fears. One might like hugging, another might be a bit stand-offish. Some like lots of decorations and bright colors, others are a bit more restrained, and even a couple are almost barren by comparison.

I've done a lot of role-playing since I was very young indeed. So such switches are not too hard for me at least.

The mind behind Ryeka and the brood
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 11:10 AM CDT
Now I'm the not the best RPer out there, but I'm trying. So here's some things that have helped me:

1) Let the characters grow themselves. The situations they get into will force some RP decisions that you might not have made as a player yet. And those decisions will mold the character. (as in: Fyrie did this, so he must have some characteristic that makes him likely to do this.)

2) Do they have a sense of humor? If so, what sort? (I've found this one to be an easy and important aspect)

3) Get into your character's head. What's happened to them in the last 24 hours? How are they going to be feeling? (kudos to Gulphphunger for this one)

4) Pick some subtle actions. Everyone has a few things they do. Especially if they are deep in thought. (like pacing, leaning against something, bowing their head, etc...)

I hope that helps. I'm looking forward to reading some other suggestions as well.

-Player of Fyriestorme and several others.
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 11:12 AM CDT
>>1) Don't make them family, don't advertise them to your first char's friends and don't act like you're suddenly friends with people that know your first char but not this one.<<

Yeah, that's a good one.
Re: Figures 06/26/2002 05:21 PM CDT
Practice with familiars, if you have one.

Steel.
Re: Figures 07/02/2002 05:41 AM CDT
I have to many chars, true some I do not RP but many I do. I love playing 'kid' chars (but can only keep that up for a few hours, I can be such a brat!).

I have chars that go from out going and lovely dovey to a grumpy one, one thats 'guy shy', a couple that are quiet. Have even played twin brother and sister on 2 different accts bickering (like siblings do) someone that knew they were both me had to ask me in whispers if I had someone playing the other one for me. grinz. Almost forgot even have a few male chars one is 'girl shy' and a bit reserved (ok someone called him boring one time).

It's hard to give advice to others on how to do it,for me when I 'slip into the char' its like slipping into certain clothes (i.e a flannel shirt don't make you feel 'amorous' but a silk dress could..).

Some of mine are family but many are not (my 3 main char do have similiarities but 2 are birth sisters other was adopted by thier parents. yet they all 3 have differences too).

And very few know more than 3 are mine...
Re: Figures 07/04/2002 01:57 AM CDT
See, my problem is, i've got most of what the post above this one has too...

Only i'm one body, one persona...

-Trazier, wondering if he could/should split himself up somehow... Maybe an exorcism or something?... Heh, what body would the other spirits inhabit though?
Re: Figures 07/07/2002 10:18 AM CDT
So the both of you suffer from 'multiple personalites' but if a different form.

Ruatha
(thats who I feel like posting as today ;) )