Pfanston 03/18/2012 08:35 AM CDT
I'd like to take a moment to recognize Pfanston for all his contributions to the game over the years as well as mention something he is doing right now that I find quite impressive.

Over the years Pfanston has been a particularly helpful player, back in the day when death matter and folks needed dragging you could count on Pfanston to come drag your behind to wherever it needed to go. Those days are mostly gone but it's still good to note how consistantly helpfull he has been over the years

Once we got him into the mentor society he hit the ground running. He holds a record of sorts in that he placed well over double the required amount of hours per month for his first two to three years straight as part of the Society. During that time he specialized in true new players. I saw him work to the level where it was scary how many actual new players he managed to cycle through, setting them up and moving them along.

A few years ago one of his side projects was helping out a buddy of his who had very poor eyesight. He wrote up a series of scripts that enabled his buddy to function reasonably well and get a decent level of training done. The fellow in question was an older gentleman who had lost his wife and children and was looking for a hobby to fill out some time.

When that fellow passed away a couple years ago I sort of worried about Pfanston, he had spent so much time working on the sight impaired stuff I wasn't sure if he'd be able to keep focus on things without his buddy around. Pfanston however kept fiddling with the stuff, trying to perfect all his earlier workings.

Pfanston has since stumbled onto other sight impaired players and has been able to roll out his stuff to the point that it works very well. It turns out that it worked so well that there has been an influx of sight impaired players as of late. A couple of those players liked what was here so much that they ran out and posted to bulletin boards specially for sight impaired folks to come try the game that has an element designed especially for them. At this point I think we've seen 5 to 10 sight impaired players wandering around and I think that is pretty neat.

So thumbs up to Pfanston for all the time he spends working towards other people being able to find a fun lil niche in life. A+ in my book.

Leucius

Never argue with an idiot, they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 08:39 AM CDT
That's truly awesome to read, thanks for posting that and thank you player of Pfanston for going the extra mile like that for people.

ps. I know where to go when I finally burn my eyes out!

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 09:06 AM CDT
Thank you player of Leucius for telling us of this.

And of course Thank you Pfanston for all your work with the new comers and doing something spectacular, that is allowing someone with a sight handicap to be involved in a game that is to me entirely visual (I at least use no other sense, other then the rare epp to warn me of a few things), that just seems so wild, and also awesome.

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 11:01 AM CDT
I would just like to add my thanks and praise of Pfanston. I've known his character a long time and he has always been someone you could count on to help. No matter what. He is an amazing individual and this game is truly better for it.

Meadbh
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 12:39 PM CDT
I'm amazed and impressed. Thank you Pfanston for all that you do.

- Felicini
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 02:31 PM CDT
That's pretty awesome, and I had no clue. Great job on that!

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 03:05 PM CDT
very cool Pfanston, very cool indeed. Thanks for all you've done!

Blackguard Danoryiel

"Sogan udazama umbunor fau arrazoi inishatu seiremisai. (Only the fallen have nothing to despair)"
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 04:06 PM CDT
That's impressive and praise worthy all around. I had no idea. It gives me a new found respect for Pfanston, who I have had admittedly limited interaction with throughout my DR experience.

It's really heart warming to hear about people doing great things like that. Thank you for sharing that as well.

Terra
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 06:04 PM CDT
Out..freaking...standing. Good for you Pfanston. Simu..step up and give this fellow a pat on the back.

"pat on the back" = couple months free.

Madigan
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 08:55 PM CDT
Absolutely amazing, man.

Every time I see Pfanston, he's always with a novice or helping someone out. Sometimes, I see him give out outdated advice, but he takes everything in stride and doesn't let distractions deter him from helping people out.

Terribly impressed that he's done so much work!

---
Inauri
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 09:33 PM CDT
Pfanston is a good guy :)

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Pfanston 03/18/2012 10:01 PM CDT

I wholeheartedly agree. Pfanston has my utmost respect and admiration as a player and mentor. His work has enhanced DR for many and I am one of those. I would not have the revitalized love for DR and continued with my ranger character if not for his patient willingness to care and share his knowledge and time.

Diane, player of Daiyanae

(Fan of the Pfan man)
Re: Pfanston 03/19/2012 03:34 AM CDT
That is truly incredible.

What kind of enhancement has he done? Does it work with different font sizes or audio or what? I am completely curious. Either way, very impressive and many kudos!

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Pfanston 03/19/2012 06:51 AM CDT

What a truly wonderful contribution! Pfanston, you are a heart-warming example of someone that puts their own ego aside in the effort to extend help to others. Our Dragonrealms world, as well as I am also sure, the real world around you is better because of your contributions. My sincere thanks and admiration goes out to you.

~Player of Crimsondae
Re: Pfanston 03/19/2012 05:27 PM CDT
Pfanston is the real deal :)
Re: Pfanston 03/23/2012 07:06 AM CDT
Going to just jump on the dogpile here and agree with each and every bit of praise for our 'ole Pfanston. His character and his efforts in Ilithi is the best example of how not every Ilithian is completely off their rocker...and we've all tried, at one time or another, to drag him to the crazy house with us by dying in creative and out of the way locations, baiting and sniping at each other on the gweths and introducing dramatic and over-the-top roleplay lines to the population at large! And yet somehow, he's managed to stay relatively sane (he does still hang out in Ilithi after all) and continues to offer information and assistance to anyone who needs it.

Looks like the player behind the character is as worthy of the same praise as well. Talk about a challenge, helping the visually impaired with a text based game! Of course, its debatable if introducing others to the addiction that can become playing DR is a blessing or a curse...:P

So, thanks for watching out for so many of us Pfanston!

Kythryn
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain
Re: Pfanston 03/23/2012 09:55 PM CDT

<<What kind of enhancement has he done? Does it work with different font sizes or audio or what? I am completely curious. Either way, very impressive and many kudos!>>

Most of the new blind folks are using what is called VIPMUD from GMA GAMES (http://www.gmagames.com/). Its a sound oriented version of a front end similiar in some ways to ZMUD in that its event driven not linear. I have been writing scripts and such to help them get around and do some skill training. They are unable to read the maps put out for most of us as they are graphic in nature. So I'm attempting to set up scripts to take them to all hunting areas, and in the process set up scripts that will get them out the hunting area where ever they happen to be. Thus giving them the ability to get most places in the lands. Course that means I spend most of my time in the lands, logging every room in DR, so I can work the stuff up. And I've been learning more about all the guilds than I really wanted to know, Heh I'm a ranger, not a wizard! In addition, Ive been trying to set up a file that captures alot of the training messages that folks create when they train to eliminate it so it is not cluttering their sound software, and making it easier for them to participate in groups. A very large ongoing exercise. Kinda wishing I had logs of every room in DR so I could eliminate some of the time logging and spend more time putting things together.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy puppy.
Re: Pfanston 03/24/2012 07:32 AM CDT
>>Pfanston words and deeds

That's an admirable contribution to this game and the community. If you don't mind me asking, how many people are you helping implement this?

You also see a shiny scorecard and a shiny scorecard.
Obvious paths: none.
> read scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Liurilias - 747"
> read other scorec
A shiny scorecard reads:
"Zerreck - 2456"
Re: Pfanston 03/24/2012 06:10 PM CDT
Genie has a mapping tool that, I believe, has room descriptions for a vast majority of rooms in the game.

You may want to look into seeing how hard it might be to capture from those since the work has MAYBE already been done.
Re: Pfanston 03/24/2012 11:11 PM CDT
Just as a reference, here's how the crossing bank looks.

<node id="42" name="The Crossing, Hodierna Way" note="Bank">
<description>The hustle of crowds making their way between the secular and religious centers of town that converge here carries you along with its momentum. The granite and marble facade of the First Provincial Bank catches your eye, standing before you as solid as its name. A Gor'Tog guard armed with pike and crossbow is posted at the door, while a few well-dressed merchants congregate outside.</description>
<position x="210" y="60" z="0" />
<arc exit="east" move="east" destination="160" />
<arc exit="southwest" move="southwest" destination="43" />
<arc exit="northwest" move="northwest" destination="39" />
<arc exit="go" move="go provincial bank" destination="231" />
</node>

hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down. - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Pfanston 03/25/2012 12:26 AM CDT
Wow. Just wow, huge kudos for this. Well done, Pfanston.
Re: Pfanston 03/25/2012 02:57 AM CDT
<<That's an admirable contribution to this game and the community. If you don't mind me asking, how many people are you helping implement this?>>

Right now there are about 12 blind folks in the lands off and on. From what they tell me the blind blogs are talking alot about DR, and they all have friends who plan on coming in and giving it a try. Rumor is there could be 100 or more of them in a few months, so its hard to tell.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy puppy
Re: Pfanston 03/25/2012 08:48 AM CDT
Having recently interacted with one of of these blind players. There's really nothing different. :) They might react a little slower? but there was a lot going on in the room also.

---
Inauri
Re: Pfanston 03/25/2012 12:52 PM CDT
Curious how it works -- Does it just read certain key parts of the game like an audio book? That's the only way I can imagine it working for someone who can't actually read the text. If so that'd pretty cool.

~Leilond
http://tinyurl.com/Leilond-Portrait
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Pfanston 03/25/2012 08:42 PM CDT
Impressive. You are truly a gentle soul player of Pfanston. The world needs more people like you.
Re: Pfanston 03/26/2012 05:49 PM CDT
I have to say Pfanboy is one of my favorite mentors out there. Having known him from when I was less then a few days into DR he has been the utter definition of helpful. whenever I run into a newbie ranger I always tell them to look out for Pfanston. Great big heaps of praise to him. back in the day of dragging... I think he's got at least 50-100 times of dragging mine and caprianna's butts out of wherever we died. now that I hear about this I am just simply amazed at how much of a wonderful person he is.

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Pfanston 03/26/2012 06:23 PM CDT
Eh, he's ok.

:P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Pfanston 03/27/2012 07:10 AM CDT
having encountered one of these blind folks platside whom this software has helped to attract new players, I have to say, Thank you Pfanston for your helpfulness in making other people's lives more enjoyable.

"we're doing it for the good of mankind," said the philosophers of murder, waiting for the rest of the world to congratulate them"-Elie Wiesel <the gates of the forest>
Re: Pfanston 03/27/2012 10:07 AM CDT
Very amazing contribution, keep up the good work.

Now if only someone could come up with some code to help terrible roleplayers...
Re: Pfanston 03/27/2012 10:51 AM CDT
>Now if only someone could come up with some code to help terrible roleplayers...

Check in retire confirm.

Let's save us all some time: I'm a troll who rarely has anything helpful. There.
Re: Pfanston 03/27/2012 10:52 AM CDT
"Now if only someone could come up with some code to help terrible roleplayers..."

Start:
Put Quit
goto Start

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: Pfanston 03/27/2012 12:15 PM CDT
start:
put act dragon
yell belt RAWRRRRRRRRRR!
pause 10
goto start

"hypocrite, thy name is teveshszat, and i just hope i'm there to see you when you're broght down." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Pfanston 03/28/2012 07:21 AM CDT
>Now if only someone could come up with some code to help terrible roleplayers...

Aww. Just be patient with yourself. The rest of us are. ;)

===
My spathas at hand,
From the ashes I rise,
With resolve in my heart,
And fire in my eyes.
Re: Pfanston 04/21/2012 10:23 PM CDT

Outstanding work.

Thank you Pfanston! I had not ever even considered it being possible , which makes this all the more wonderful imo.