Seeking S'Kra for Sraan Hav'roth 04/23/2004 03:01 PM CDT
A fine parchment scroll lies unrolled across the table, a thin ribbon of red Musparan silk to tie it just off to the side. Glancing over it, you notice that it is written in neat Eth'ral'khh with a smaller copy in Common written below it. It reads:

The S'Kra Mur are a proud race with a noble tradition and history.
However, as time has passed and the people have left their
homelands, the traditions have become destroyed, diluted or
forgotten. The Golden Age of the S'Kra is but a shadow in the
distance.

The priests of Hav'roth in Muspar'i grew concerned and resurrected
a long dead sraan as a home for those who had none and a lesson
for all who would listen. Sraan Hav'roth serves as a refuge for
traditional S'Kra and those who wish to return to forgotten traditions.
The sraan leans towards specialization in the scholarly arts,
particularly in relation to the S'Kra Mur race itself, and aims to teach
the S'Kra of their heritage and lead them to a new Golden Age.

Any who are interested in having a part in Sraan Hav'roth are
encouraged to speak with Mhalacious, the Sraan Speaker, Tsarenzi,
the Speaker's Wife, or Leyhan, Ambassador. Those who have no
interest in even attempting to follow S'Kra custom need not inquire.

OOC version: Sraan Hav'roth is recruiting any S'Kra who wish to be a part of a traditional style sraan (that's the S'Kra version of a clan). You don't need to already play a traditional style S'Kra, but you need to be willing to learn and make a good effort at it. However, experts in lore, specific periods of history, ritual and ceremony or any other topic, no matter how obscure, are particularly encouraged. New characters created specifically for the sraan are welcome too! Contact Mhalacious, Tsarenzi or Leyhan in game, IM shamanMhal or email steve@xpat.com.

This is a crosspost of the one left at http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=11&topic=16&message=2340
Re: Seeking S'Kra for Sraan Hav'roth 04/25/2004 03:22 PM CDT
>Those who have no interest in even attempting to follow S'Kra custom need not inquire.

So does this mean a s'kra who has cared deeply for non s'kra, and who has gasp sharpened his claws in the past, would be hated and shunned?

In other words, are all s'kra interested allowed to check it out? Or must everyone conform to one person's set ideas of how s'kra are supposed to act and feel?
Re: Seeking S'Kra for Sraan Hav'roth 04/25/2004 04:36 PM CDT
First thing, the past is the past. We do not expect anyone who is interested to have played the part of a traditional S'Kra in the past, unless they claim that they have done so. Tsarenzi has not always acted S'Kra in the past, but I do try to now.

My statement in the letter was intended more as a future outlook. If you intend to go on playing a S'Kra non-traditionally after you join.. why are you interested? However, if you want it as a way to learn about the traditions and become more traditional, we are all for encouraging that. I would personally even be glad to see someone who chose to roleplay having a hard time adapting to the changes: trying to learn, but slipping up and it not coming naturally.

Furthermore, the S'Kra race has a rich culture that is open to interpretation in many parts. If, given what information we have been about the race, you feel you have an accurate translation that differs from ours, great! However, if your translation conflicts with the background provided, we will probably object to that.

The reason we are doing this is for the roleplay with this aspect of the game. It is fun for us! We are not trying to control S'Kra culture, we are trying to help it grow. We think it is a beautiful, unique, in depth culture with so much room to do things with. Our characters intend to actually roleplay this out as we think they would. We actually intend them to look down upon marriages to other races and sharpening claws which you used as examples (Though hated and shunned is certainly an overstatement! Tsar, at least, feels sorry for those people, but doesn't hate them in any way.), and if someone is turned down because they intend to continue doing these things, it's not because we as players are opposed, it's because that's what our characters would do.

I, as a player, feel guilty about the marriage issue in particular, because we're all playing a game, and limiting one's relationships doesn't make the game more fun for a lot of people. And I hate to leave them out from this great opportunity just because of that. I'm roleplaying Tsar as a S'Kra who has the opinion that this is wrong, though, and I can't justify being inconsistent just because Tsar and I don't see eye to eye on a few things. Would it still be roleplaying if I was just playing myself, rather than playing the role of Tsarenzi?

So, in a nice compact answer to your question: we are open to a wide variety of interpretations on S'Kra culture, if they don't conflict with the official given information. If they do conflict with official information, then it isn't the culture we're trying to encourage. And if the S'Kra has acted in ways not fitting of a S'Kra before, but wants to change their ways now, we have no intentions of holding the past against them.

Tsarenzi

PS I'm sorry if I was rambly or unclear on anything. More questions or critiques are perfectly fine.

Roleplaying Info-
http://www.geocities.com/ymtemi

Been Missing Me?-
http://www.geocities.com/ymtemi/tsarenzi