Daughter(s) Wanted 01/09/2004 01:24 AM CST
Looking for an RP opportunity? Needing older players to take you under their wing? An empath and warmage are looking for a younger female character(s) to roleplay their daughter(s). Ideally, the character would be around 10th circle or less. All aspects of rp?ing are negotiable. If you are interested, please IM Ghryla @ savlanoot.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/15/2004 05:56 PM CST
You didn't mention what race your daughters should be ;)

Jadzi
Prydaen
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 12:19 PM CST
He is human, rp'ing a half-elf...he has pointy ears.....my empath is elothean....i, personally, am not picky about race....could really rp anything....birth defect :) traits skipping generations....

feel free to IM me at savlanoot to discuss any issues...
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 02:19 PM CST
<<He is human, rp'ing a half-elf...he has pointy ears.....my empath is elothean....i, personally, am not picky about race....could really rp anything....birth defect :) traits skipping generations....

Just making sure you know, that in DR when races inter-breed..the child comes out one or the other. Completely one race.

Now, that isn't to say that a person can't play up the other race in their background CULTURALLY..

But..if an Elf and a Human have a child, and the child turns out Human..and they have pointy ears..the pointy ears have NOTHING to do with having Elf-blood in the mix.

And just in case this helps at all, the GM's did make some race charts involving different things, a couple of them involving reproduction. This is especially important information for players of Tog, S'kra, and Prydaen..as it is impossible for any of those three races to reproduce with ANY race but their own.

http://www.play.net/dr/info/races/racecharts.asp

~player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 03:15 PM CST
Yes, I am aware of the race charts. However, I would never deny someone a family just cuz a human and elothean had a baby and from that it is impossible to have a Prydaen or Rakash baby. :)
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 03:20 PM CST
<<Just making sure you know, that in DR when races inter-breed..the child comes out one or the other. Completely one race.>>

So you tellin me that you know my own character better than I do? If I wish to rp that my character is half elf I can do that, if I want to rp that he is a 20 foot tall pigeon that breathes fire, so be it. This is a game and taking it to the extremes of logic is ruining all the fun for others.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 04:17 PM CST
> if I want to rp that he is a 20 foot tall pigeon that breathes fire, so be it.

Yeah you could RP that, but then mostly you're character would either be crazy, or you'd be a bad RPer (depending of course on how you played it; act flies around breathing fire at you, does not an RP make.)

~Y

http://www.bakshiloa.com/libraryindex.html
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 04:35 PM CST
well, you can...i mean, there is no actual pregnancy in the realms, but there are a vast amount of ways to rp it so it seems as tho someone is....that is why we have the smile command and act commands.....of course, he was being hyperbolic....the point is, we are limited only by what we want to be limited by in the realm....my empath likes to put her feet behind her head....how does she do that? she smiles and does it....

some people prefer a more restrictive RP attitude, while others are more free in their roleplaying...to each his/her own....

we have taken the race charts into consideration, but i am not going to be limited completely by them....my character was having babies long before the charts came out and we figured out a reasonable gestation period and everything....her first husband was human and she is elothean...they had elf babies...human babies...elothean babies...of course, this was before rakash and prydean were in the realm....

so, all this to say.....we would welcome a female character of any race...most people dont look at the children and wonder how you got that race from your own 2 races, anyway....
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 04:38 PM CST
>> most people dont look at the children and wonder how you got that race from your own 2 races, anyway....

I do, when the people are claiming the child is biologically theirs and their races are in no way compatible.

"Really? Who's the mother/father, then?"

Then again, I suppose I'm just weird.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Despairing due to that darn dimpling? Dump those dimples, discounted 100%!

IM Filthy Sentiment, or email my play.net addy.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 04:45 PM CST
It is all an rp choice. That is the wonderful thing about DR.

Thank you for your concern. I just hope we can find a baby girl. :)
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 04:48 PM CST
Indeed, good luck with that.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 05:02 PM CST
<<It is all an rp choice.>>

Yep. You can choose to RP within the boundaries set by the game or you can decide "my character's special because I said so," which is also great RP.

I mean, really, what DR needs is more Water Elves and Vampires.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 06:06 PM CST
<<I mean, really, what DR needs is more Water Elves and Vampires.>>

one of the GH's has a tattoo that is a V connecting two blue puncture marks in her neck. :)
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 06:10 PM CST
>>one of the GH's has a tattoo that is a V connecting two blue puncture marks in her neck. :)

Game Hosts are OOC :)

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
~Sarah Williams
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/16/2004 10:38 PM CST
I'm somewhat baffled by this.

If I rolled up a character and had him claim to be the Vengeful Avatar of Truffenyi, he'd be rightly laughed out of whichever guild I put him in. Yet half-breeds and utterly impossible-to-consummate couples having children is taken in stride. Between the two, I'd put more money on the Angry Ox of Truffenyi happening.

I suppose my hang up is I don't understand the drive to invest any time in a setting as a RP vehicle if you're going to violate fundamental aspects of it.

My stance (and echoed in Larcus-the-character): If someone is violating the setting (either with impossible backgrounds or abuse of ACT, SMILE, etc), I'll ignore them. If that's impossible for whatever reason, I'll have Larcus grab Occam's Razor ("Right. A Gor'tog and Gnome had a child. Ah, who was your wife's milkman, again?")

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/17/2004 02:10 AM CST

I just wanted to make sure the the rules which have been set out by the people who actually write the game are known.

Perhaps so that if a person does make the choice to say they are a Human who had a Prydaen baby...that they know a few things..

One of these things is that, however you want to rationalize it, the GM's write rules about races and guilds, etc..for a reason.

These rules aren't to stop RP, but to encourage it to be at least somewhat logical.

Now, other reasons I brought it up? Well, if you didn't know this information, perhaps after finding out that whenever this particular aspect of your character's life got brought up with people who are actually RPing according to the guidelines set out by the writers...that your character's history wouldn't be believed, or would be laughed at, or downright ridiculed..

Or that the wife or "mother" would be seen either as a liar, cheating on her husband "scarlet woman!", or just insane..

...perhaps after knowing this you'd change your mind.

I've met people who were long time RP partners, one played a Prydaen and one played an Elf. They decided to fly in the face of the guidelines as well. RPing they baby Elf that had some fur. It was very hard for them to deal with, and as much as I had warned them - they still weren't expecting it when the "mother" was called...promiscuous, shall we say? And the "father" - a fool.

And you might say that the people who had their character's say those things are horribly mean and don't have any right to..

But what would YOU say to a woman who said she gave birth to a parrot?

The GM's have already told us that a Prydaen saying that had an Elf..or ANY child besides Prydaen..is exactly like the woman saying she had a parrot-baby.

I will tell you, it gets hard. Especially when the people are actually trying to have their RP taken seriously. It gets hard, and truly...it is not worth it if you ARE trying to have your RP taken seriously.

You can say all you want that your Elf is a Drow, it doesn't mean Drow Elves are suddenly in the game because you want them to be.

You can say all you want that your character is dual-guilded, it doesn't make that true either.

And you can say all you want that the Tog and the Elothean had twins, an Elothean boy and an Elven girl, but it doesn't make it biologically possible within the game.

Especially when the WRITERS say it isn't.

Now, I understand that before the rules were in place, ..we couldn't just foresee into the future what they would be. It is one thing to not have any kind of guideline, and to do the best you can figuring what might be acceptable.

It is another thing completely to know what the guidelines are and to decide "Well, those aren't for me, so I'm gonna just pretend they don't exist."

By giving us guidelines and rules as to the physical nature of the races, the GM's make it easier for them to be played. It also makes for more consistent atmosphere, which makes for BETTER RP.

A person can say.."Well, this is a game,..so I get to decide my character's race's anatomy...because that makes it more fun for me...so my half-Prydaen/half-S'kra is REAL, and nobody can tell me different!"

And that person can say they are RPing. And you know what, they ARE RPing, but they are RPing badly.

Role-play involves taking on a role within the context of a world, and whatever rules come with that world.

As much as some people want it to be, DragonRealms is NOT freeform RP. It has a very distinct world, with very distinct rules.

You can rant and rail against that all you want, but it doesn't change that fact.

And, yes, it is fact, even if you don't want it to be.

I sincerely do wish you the best of luck with future role-play.

Here's to hoping it includes the rules.

Warm Regards,
player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/17/2004 02:49 PM CST
Syrath just said everything I wanted to, in a much nicer way. Well done.

Drex, who is NOT a human drow like someone tried to suggest once.. ew.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/17/2004 04:27 PM CST
<<But what would YOU say to a woman who said she gave birth to a parrot?>>

That so made me laugh!!

Actually the player me would probably just smile in terror.

My character would probably say nothing, accept it, but think she's either insane, deluded, or not my business.

LOL

Lyravkla's player
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/17/2004 06:43 PM CST
<< But what would YOU say to a woman who said she gave birth to a parrot? >>

"Look, matey, this parrot wouldn't voom if I put four thousand volts through it! It's bleeding demised!"

--Asilir Schiesty--
Karavirs del Coshivi, turinstil awksa Enelne fawriliva, drikstet Mrod davinat ran sfek.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/17/2004 09:53 PM CST
heh, I just feel sorry for anyone that takes some of the "guidelines" of roleplaying to the extreme such that they lose sight of the meaning of the game, to have fun! If you like abiding so strictly to the guidelines set then sure, go ahead but I feel that there are some things that are left up to the player, such as roleplaying different heritages or whatever. Point is to each thier own, dont ruin the game for others by trying to inforce technical "regulations" on things that do not hurt or hinder the game or other players in any way. Doing so is taking the fun out of the game for others and that is not right.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/18/2004 07:02 AM CST
<<If you like abiding so strictly to the guidelines set then sure, go ahead but I feel that there are some things that are left up to the player, such as roleplaying different heritages or whatever.>>

Heritage is something that is up to each player to define. You can be an Elf raised by a Gor'Tog and his Prydaen love slave for all anyone cares.

However, biology is not up to each player. You can't rewire the plumbing, to mix metaphors, just because you want to have a baby snake.

Nor is it good RP to be from another dimension/planet, to have abilities that you cannot obviously perform outside of using ACT, to claim to be some nobleman from some far-off land where you cannot bring people, or anything else which cannot be supported by the game.

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/18/2004 03:23 PM CST
I never said anything about adding things to the game that dont exist such as claiming powers or being from another planet, I said anything that the person wants to rp is up to them, as long as it does not hider the game and claiming supernatural powers that dont exist in the game and such is hindering the game. This topic can be debated forever when brining in each and every situation and either side can be right so I say again what I have said in the start, to each their own.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/18/2004 03:38 PM CST
If you are still looking for a daughter, you might look up Ciek sometime.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/18/2004 04:14 PM CST
>> claiming supernatural powers that dont exist in the game and such is hindering the game.

Just like your claiming that you are the Dwarven child of a Prydaen is hindering the game from a roleplaying standpoint. I don't see how the two notions are different. Both are outside the defined boundries the GMs have put forth. From an IC point of view, we can't both be right.

Which is why I will continue to treat people who claim such things as though they are either insane, pretending their child wasn't actually adopted for whatever reason, or have been seeing people behind their spouse's back.

- Player of Miki & Cael

Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/18/2004 04:17 PM CST
<<I never said anything about adding things to the game that dont exist such as claiming powers or being from another planet, I said anything that the person wants to rp is up to them, as long as it does not hider the game and claiming supernatural powers that dont exist in the game and such is hindering the game.

Some posts before that...

<<If I wish to rp that my character is half elf I can do that, if I want to rp that he is a 20 foot tall pigeon that breathes fire, so be it.

So, you don't think people should be able to make things up that don't exist.

But half-elves (in the biological sense) don't exist.

And trying to RP that your character, whether pigeon or not, can breathe fire sure sounds like claiming powers to me.

As I stated before, the rules and guidelines are provided so that everyone has something they can go by to make things flow as logically as they can in a fantasy setting.

So that we don't have 10 different people trying to roleplay 10 different things that cannot possibly coexist in the same world.

You might not think that it is that a big deal, and for you it appears that it obviously isn't - but for those of us who enjoy developing our characters in the realms of the Dragon, it can make it harder for us when other people suddenly decide that their concept of the rules is better than what the developers of the game have set out.

Now, people have been calm throughout this thread. They have not bashed or insulted those who have had differing opinions.

At this point, however, I think it is pretty clear that those who will get something from this thread, have, and those who don't want to, aren't going to.

I've enjoyed the discussion.

Have a nice evening.

player of Syrath

Kinsmen, Steel, Stone.
www.stone-clan.com
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/19/2004 12:16 PM CST
I gave up the family route... I'm a barmaid now :(

Speaking of which, stop by sometime

Ciek

Hug a Ranger.
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/19/2004 12:28 PM CST
>>I gave up the family route... I'm a barmaid now :(

Where's my ale?

Brabs

Fighting with a bunch of archers in Geni.

"Hey, it's shoot GENI, not shoot GEN!"

Ambassador Genneron, of M'riss
[Arcath] "Public Service Announcement: Please shoot at the archers and not at Arcath"
Re: Daughter(s) Wanted 01/22/2004 11:28 AM CST
you so stole that .. i was gonna use it Brabs <pouts> well we both can use it so there!