Looking for... 06/17/2007 06:22 PM CDT
Rakash couple soon to tie off the ceremony part of marriage and are looking for someone to play as our child. Preferably a son and someone not going to play an Empath. I'd like for the child to "come" after the wedding and to have a mixture of the mother and father's features. We've other ideas but would rather not mention them here but we'd like it if they played at being young and maybe someone willing to learn from their Mama and Papa.

Someone green to most things so we as parents can teach them, Rakash, preferably a boy, after wedding and not Empath.

Also anyone who has played at being with child and then all of the sudden POOF theres this kid running around
any advice would be helpful as to how did you pull it off. We thought since the age didn't show we could just leave it be but thoughts on that would be helpful.Thanks.
~Not all things are meant to be.~

Lanita
Re: Looking for... 06/17/2007 06:31 PM CDT
Prior to a certain age I personally believe it's best to just have them in the "background" so to speak and not actually played by a PC.

The cutoff for this would be around 4 or 5 years old, IMO.

And while it should go without saying, real children don't tawk wike dis so pweez don't do dis. :|

Rev. Reene

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo."
-- Enoch in Neal Stephenson's The Confusion
Re: Looking for... 06/17/2007 07:00 PM CDT
>And while it should go without saying, real children don't tawk wike dis so pweez don't do dis.

Anyone looking for cues on how to roleplay a child should look to the GM character, Sellan. A very well roleplayed.. what is he? Five-year-old?

Fuquois
Re: Looking for... 06/17/2007 08:25 PM CDT
>>A very well roleplayed.. what is he? Five-year-old?

No but the GMs pretended he was that old so we rolled with it. And yes, that character is played very well. It reminds me a lot of another child character I know to the point that if I didn't know better I'd say they have the same player.
Re: Looking for... 06/17/2007 11:37 PM CDT
Hahah who -does- that? What do you mean by in the background? Like just say you have one?

Lanita
Re: Looking for... 06/17/2007 11:41 PM CDT
Didn't he have a birthday party( that I came late to) and I think he was seven.

Lanita
Re: Looking for... 06/18/2007 12:26 AM CDT
>> What do you mean by in the background? Like just say you have one?

Yes.

Liberal use of freeform verbs (act/smile/etc) can help a great deal.

Rev. Reene

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a yo-yo."
-- Enoch in Neal Stephenson's The Confusion
Re: Looking for... 06/18/2007 01:00 AM CDT
>>Didn't he have a birthday party( that I came late to) and I think he was seven.

We have the exact day he was born in Prime. I don't remember what it was, but I think someone posted it when the birthday party happened and he would have been less than four at the time, iirc. Someone feel free to confirm or disprove, however, since I don't have it off hand.
Re: Looking for... 06/18/2007 01:52 AM CDT
Relevant Threads Listed at the bottom of the quotes.

Re: Party Favors? ? on 3/20/2007 2:26:03 PM Generate a link to this post in a pop-up window. 2509
reply Reply
I'm a little confused about one thing.
When did Sellan get that old? They said he was turning 5 at the party. I didn't think it had been over a RL year since the event started and the infant was born.
I figure my sense of time is just off since I can't even remember precisely when it was.

from https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=16&message=2509

Re: Party Favors? ? on 3/20/2007 2:42:20 PM Generate a link to this post in a pop-up window. 2510
reply Replydelete Delete
I was curious about this too.
Per this post (http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=16&message=1905)
Sellan would have been born on 4/3/2006.

from https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=16&message=2510

Greetings,
Sellan is actually four, he just thinks he's five and the doting father doesn't have the heart to tell him differently.....
Adera
Life is the journey, not the destination.

from https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=13&topic=16&message=2514

Re: Looking for... 06/23/2007 12:40 PM CDT
I would also suggest playing the child yourself through act/smile/etc until they are around the age the Reene suggested.

That's what I did with both of Shadeau's kits, then I played them myself for a little while, and now they're off with relatives of hers in a small family hub/pryde.

Why did I ditch them off other than it being typical of Prydaen? Because it gets VERY boring role playing as having children. Your entire RP has to change, which is fun for a good while, but it gets really annoying not being able to RP the things that you used to do and enjoy.

Like staying away from home for weeks, months, maybe even years at at time. -grins-

I would seriously think this over good and hard before committing to this.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Looking for... 06/23/2007 07:40 PM CDT
So probably a dumb question but when you ACT out you have a child and name the kid and then they are all grown and stuff then....you do what? Tell someone to play the character and then take up the name?

Lanita
Re: Looking for... 06/23/2007 10:47 PM CDT
I'd roll up any names that you like so no one else can take them, then when the time comes for someone to play, either transfer the name or retire the character so someone else can reg it (if you can even still do that these days).

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
Badtooth slips an ice pick in his spidersilk garter, tightening the ribbons securely below his knee.
>gasp bad
You gasp at Badtooth!
>wave shade
You fan yourself.
Re: Looking for... 06/23/2007 11:49 PM CDT
Or you could name them whatever you want and act/smile it out - and when it comes time to actually have the character - you/they could just go with the story that, "Yes, my parents called me Ishmael, but I prefer to be called Moby." Then, it won't matter what you've called them all along, because they go by their nick-name or whatever name they decided to change it to when they "grew up".

Just an idea,
~Chris
Re: Looking for... 06/24/2007 07:15 PM CDT
My character's husband and I decided to have children IG as well. We have two kids, actually. Both times, we RP'd them from infancy, even did a naming ceremony for them out of respect for the Prydaen tradition, and we used props and ACTs to make it seem like they were actually there. It helped that all of our friends and family played along and added to what we were doing with the kids. They too would incorporate them into their ACTs if the kids were in the room with us. Props to use would be like baby blankets, bottles, toys... actions like rubbing the blanket or shifting it from arm to arm sort of helped give the impression a baby was being carried by the parent, etc. It takes a lot of imagination and creativity to pull it off.

As Shadeau said, it's not something to undertake lightly. It takes a lot of effort to keep it going, not everyone is into that sort of RP and may not play along with you if you do it (though I've never run into someone so rude as to imply there isn't actually a kid or anything, they just didn't really act along or acknowledge the kid being in the room.) We were lucky to already have a group of friends that were very easy-going about that sort of thing. I myself will always play along with someone else who is doing it, even if I don't know them well.

Also as Shadeau pointed out, if you take it seriously, then you will be drastically changing how you RP. My character didn't travel when her kids where babies.. she stayed at home about 85% of her time, her friends usually came to visit her rather than her going out to meet up with them. After a short while, we RP'd that they had a nanny that lived with them and took care of the children so the parents could be away.. short day trips at first, but after a while we were able to resume most of our usual activities. We still talked about our children as if we saw them and spent time with them each day, but they weren't a constant presence in our RP.

Once the older child was about 8 years old IG, we decided to get him a player to bring him to life. (We had reserved the name when he was born, and maintained a character to look like him, but didn't actually have him logging into the game while we did this ACT RP with the baby.) Yes, we actually waited the full 8 years IG, but that was our choice. We had considered maybe speeding up his age a little so that he'd grow up faster, something plausable where folks wouldn't notice the difference too much (because, as I said, our friends got involved in our RP to a certain extent). But, we found that once we weren't really acting like they were constantly there, time actually passed quickly on its own and before long the children were growing up faster than I realized anyway. Once we found the right person to play him, RP'ing with him was great fun and a lot less tedious. It made us want to have the second child played by another person too, as she was already 4. We found someone for her by the time she was 5.

That's how we did it, and I'm not saying anyone else should follow our example. I explained our way just in response to your question. That being said, I wouldn't recommend going with the idea that she's only pregnant right now, they have a wedding, out pops a baby, and he's running around town on his own as if he's an older child, or adult. Unless there really wouldn't be anyone to know the difference, I wouldn't count on it flying too well with folks who know you and know that you only just gave birth to that son 3 days ago, and now he walks, talks, and probably hunts. I may not be all that familiar with Rakash anatomy, but one would think they follow some kind of infant-toddler-child progression, even if it's at a faster rate than a human.

Whatever you might choose to do, I hope it turns out well. You can take our comments as a grain of salt and do it however you like.. all that really matters is that it's something you enjoy doing and fulfills whatever it is you're hoping for by having a family IG.

Good luck!
~ Fayeza.

"Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." -- Kahlil Gibran
Looking for... 12/31/2008 02:54 PM CST
Family, mentor(s), circle of friends, or any combination of the three! It seems my usual crowd has more or less vanished during my absence, and rather than looking around for replacements in game I figure I'll cheat and post about it here.

I've decided to start a new character, a Prydaen Barbarian, and he could use some connections. He's as young as they come in DR (only 15) and while he knows a little bit about Prydaen customs and history he could still use some lessons. He doesn't need handouts or anything like that - his "inheritance" was enough to get him set up with almost everything he'll require - and I consider myself pretty experienced with DR, so I shouldn't need any OOC teaching. Basically just looking for some RP.

For now he'll need to remain in Crossing, but based on past barbarian experiences I expect him to move around fairly regularly in order to be near the best prey for his level.

Reply here or email my play.net address if you think you can help. Thanks!