Looking for family 10/26/2006 09:52 AM CDT
Looking for family for my character she's played as a half human half sand elf (long drawn out story) looking for brothers sisters aunts uncles mother father (adopted is fine) cousins great aunts twice removed you name it i'm looking for it! prefer them to have some ties to Muspar'i but i can tweak her background story to fit whatever :)

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
AIM: IAmPoppet
Character Portrait: http://www.geocities.com/riej82/anja.jpg
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 12:33 PM CDT
There are no half races :(

If an Elf and a Human have a baby, it's either Elf or Human, not half and half. =/

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
(Drongol dislikes you.)
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 01:55 PM CDT
as far as game mechs are concerned you are correct as far as what her story line and appearance says she is the product of a human and an elf - hince the fact i got her shifted with slightly pointed ears. thus half elf, half human. This is make believe folks please suspend reality for just a few minutes. Thanks

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 02:57 PM CDT
>>This is make believe folks please suspend reality for just a few minutes. Thanks

Even fantasy has rules and guidelines to follow, what your wanting is to be able to color outside the lines because it suits what you want to do, regardless of the intent of SIMU. Which is similar to what the players of a few Drow elves in Elanthia are doing as well.

It's bad role-play and not a good thing in my opinion. This is not total free form role-play where everything goes depending how creative someone can be. I can't role-play a Jedi and expect to be taken seriously nor can you saying your a half elf. You could at best say you have mixed blood with elven and human in your heritage.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 03:23 PM CDT
>Even fantasy has rules and guidelines to follow, what your wanting is to be able to color outside the lines because it suits what you want to do

There is so little difference between saying "My parents are human and elf and I have traits of both", and referring to oneself as half-[insert race]. I don't think she's stretching the rules far enough to get the 'you made that up' speech.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 03:47 PM CDT
>>There are no half races :(

Maybe not in the decription the character manager gives you, however if you go to the races section of the homepage there is a chart with shows what races can interbreed. There are only 3 races that CANNOT interbreed with any other race, Prydaens, S'kra Murs, and Gor Togs. Humans and elves can have children together but it is difficult. So playing a half elf/half human is possible, it's not thinking outside the Elanthian box like those who RP drow elves. Look at it this way, if your mother is an elf and your father a human you will have mixed blood. It's like being Irish/Scottish. Just because my mom is Scottish and my dad is Irish doesn't mean I can only be one of the two, it makes me a mix of both of them, thus I am Irish and Scottish.

River

Hello, my name is xxxx and I'm here for the meeting of Scripters Anonymous.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 04:44 PM CDT
and frankly if they didn't want there to be even the option of RolePlaying it i see very little reason for having placed Slightly Pointed ears in the shift options

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 04:59 PM CDT
Ignore that yoyo. Enjoy your game, don't worry about what any others say you can and can not do. Live out your fantasy and have fun.

Arctuniol

In an open world who needs Windows or Gates.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 05:10 PM CDT
Actually, River, there really aren't any half-races. If a human and an elf boink each other and out pops a baby, it will be all-human or all-elf.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 05:24 PM CDT
Show me where that is written.

River

Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 05:25 PM CDT
>Actually, River, there really aren't any half-races. If a human and an elf boink each other and out pops a baby, it will be all-human or all-elf.

I'm not a genome genius, but that makes no sense. I do vaguely remember a GM saying it, but still... illogical.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 06:09 PM CDT
From the IG book, The Elven Folk.

Many of them married humans, and hereforth something odd happened when these couples
(PAGE 5)
had children. Rather than coming out as a hybrid of their parents, the resulting children were invariably always EXACTLY like their Elven parent, or EXACTLY like their Human parent. This truth is one of the reasons Elves often disliked the Dragon Priests. That they would even SUGGEST that Elotheans were really half-Human, half-Elven children is ridiculous.
Now, by exactly I do not mean completely similar in likeness, but rather in species; a child who looked like his or her Human parent never had pointed ears and slanted eyes, nor did his or her children, nor did they
live long lives. They were as their mortal parent; brief.

Enjoy, and remember to support your local Elanthian Libraries.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 06:22 PM CDT
::pulls her hair in frustration:: That still makes NO sense... This was the only week of my biology class that I didn't sleep through or skip in highschool. There's these things called genes, a child is a mixture or their parents. Sure, these elven/human children may come out looking like one or the other but not both but they still share blood with both parents. So in my book that would be half elf/half human. It's like my daughter, she's totally a little mini me. Put a picture of me at 2 years old next to hers and we look identical. Scary really, but that doesn't mean she doesn't share blood or genes or whatever you feel like calling it in Elanthia with her father. And as someone pointed out already, why give the shift option of slightly pointed ears? To me those seem like the perfect shift for someone roleplaying a half elf/half human. I'm going to say the book is outdated, these half elf/half human people that looked either entirely human or entirely elf may have interbred again thus giving someone alightly pointed ears and the right to call themselves half elf half human. It seems like such a silly thing to argue about. <end rant.

River

Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 06:24 PM CDT
>HULDAHS-PAL

I'd accept that as pretty good IG proof regarding Elves and Humans, however we have also been told that some of the library books cannot be taken as absolute.

In this case, I'm leaning towards beleiving the reference.
Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 06:26 PM CDT
Elanthia biology does not equal Earth biology.

Re: Looking for family 10/26/2006 06:34 PM CDT
::pulls out her umbrella as she watches the parade get all soggy:: all of this because people played too much D&D and are thinking of half-elves as a totally different race with different attributes etc. The reason that book exisits is so that they don't have to code upa whole new race in the character generator. thats fine. My character looks like a human aside from the slightly pointed ears which i use as a roleplaying tool to show she is of human and Elvish decent. She ages like a human, speaks like a human. I this post was about was me trying to find a family to role play with. All I've gotten from is is a hijacked thread. So fine here we go.

"" Looking for family for my character she's played as a HUMAN with Elven decent signified by slightly pointed ears, in this case her Mother was Human her Father was Elven looking for brothers sisters aunts uncles mother father (adopted is fine) cousins great aunts twice removed you name it i'm looking for it! prefer them to have some ties to Muspar'i but i can tweak her background story to fit whatever :)""

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/27/2006 10:48 AM CDT
I think it said somewhere on the documentation on the website, too, but I can't remember where it is for the life of me. It's also been said several times by GMs.

And yeah, they might not want to code up new races, but whatever the GM's reasoning is for there being no half-races, there are still no half-races.

Shadeau Moonith,
Player of.

--
(Drongol dislikes you.)
Re: Looking for family 10/27/2006 12:01 PM CDT
why do I even bother

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/27/2006 12:14 PM CDT
I'm personally just pointing out what SIMU's guidelines are for DR and I try to follow that. Has nothing to do with TSR or WotC's D&D at all. SIMU's other game (Gemstone) does have half-elves though.

I do think it's a bit much though that just because players are pointing out the rules and stating their opinion on this subject that you are getting upset and claiming players are hijacking the thread.

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

Re: Looking for family 10/27/2006 03:38 PM CDT
Let me see if I can rephrase this as obviously my point is not getting made. My thread has been entitled "Looking for Family" which means exactly that. This thread was posted as a means to find family for my character. If you would like to discuss races or the lack there of please see the Races of Elanthia category where it is more than appropriate to continue this discussion, though admittedly it will be without me. I know you're heart broken but you will simply have to move on. If you have something to say on the actual topic of this thread please feel free to do so, or if you feel like you absolutely must have the last word in this then please do so as well but I forewarn you, you will be ignored (again I know you're heart broken) Thanks and have a pleasant day!

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/27/2006 03:48 PM CDT
Slight Correction, the category is infact "The Races of Dragonrealms" I would probably select General Discussions - Races as the topic

Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie
Re: Looking for family 10/28/2006 01:23 AM CDT
<<If a human and an elf boink each other and out pops a baby, it will be all-human or all-elf.>>

If a human and an elf "boind each other" and a baby pops out, I call that a half-elf.

-S

>Lasarhhtha pats you on the back.
Lasarhhtha says, "Others should learn much from you, yes."
Re: Looking for family 10/28/2006 01:30 AM CDT
<<why do I even bother
Rie ('rE)
Player of Anjalie>>

Because you're right and they're wrong. Ignore them.

It is always a much easier case to role-play that something does work, rather than to role-play that something does not work. Example.
Half-Elf-Human: I'm a half-elf.
Argumentative-Ninny: Half-elves don't exist.
Half-Elf-Human: Really, well mom was a human, dad was an elf, and here I am, half-human, half-elf. I exist.

The only real argument to be made is that when someone GLANCEs at you, they see you as a human (or elf). And if they attempt to use that argument in-character... well, to further discuss that move on over to the thread about Role-Playing being dead in DragonRealms.

-S

>Lasarhhtha pats you on the back.
Lasarhhtha says, "Others should learn much from you, yes."
Re: Looking for family 10/29/2006 12:37 AM CDT

Gang,

This folder is regarding in-game family connections not the "great race debate". That belongs over in the race folders.

Annwyl
Senior Board Monitor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing Senior Board Monitor DR-Annwyl@play.net, or Message Board Supervisor DR-Cecco@play.net.
Re: Looking for family 11/14/2006 02:28 PM CST
Bournea,
I have an Elven Cleric Named Crymthann.His family Has always been pure-bred Elf.I must say he is a bit of a snob when it comes to his heritage.He would be willing to RP a family member of yours if you didnt mind him being a bit disdainful of your mixed heritage.As family he would treat you well but would not exactly be proud of your father's unfortunate choice of having a Human child.he would think of you as human also.I will leave the rest for further discussion but it could make for some interesting RP.send me an email at my play.net addy or you can IM me at crymthann

"i have the simplest of tastes I only want the Best" Oscar Wilde
Re: Looking for family 11/15/2006 07:05 AM CST
dude change yer avatar...i keep thinkin yer jefferie

:oP Ragran
Re: Looking for family 11/15/2006 10:52 AM CST
Hah! =?P