OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/04/2004 10:59 AM CDT
Hey guys!

I'm a little late in contributing to this topic, but this is something that has recently been on my mind and I wanted to throw out some ideas that I think might be really neat. I probably should put it in one of the idea boards, but since this is where the discussion is happening, I'd like to see what others think of the idea.

I recently started playing Sims2 and they've become even more involved in the characters having children. Now, the women get pregnant in different stages and even give birth. At first the child's actions are not independent of the other characters, so it's up to the characters to take care of the child...anyway...I was thinking....if people want to put an age limit to the IG character...ie..can't join a guild until 15 or 16, wouldn't it be neat to still have an "npg" child that is controlled by the game, like a horse, wolf, raccoon, estate holder pet, familiar, shadowling...etc.! Think of it it as your very own child pet! laughs

Just imagine some of the interactions! They'd age like the rest of us, you could have them be with you or you can send them "home" whenever you don't or can't deal with them...like during hunting. Plus, they wouldn't have a name unless you give them one and then here's how it all ties in...when they reach 15 or whatever age is deemed appropriate, they just disappear and have gone to "apprentice school", that is if you didn't kill them or something along the way. What would make this work too, is that if you can find a real person to take on the name and the age of the child after the 'npg' child goes to school, now you have your adolescent child. IF you can't...well they'll stay in school until you do, or just move to another region. I think this would be a hoot! Anyway...I can go into so much more detail about this, but I wanted to throw out the idea and see if people think it's great or lame.

Have fun exploring the idea!

Devonia

I
I do
I do this
I do this to
I do this to take
I do this to take up
I do this to take up space!
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/04/2004 12:31 PM CDT
I've already played out pregnancy, child birth, and the start of raising a child. Shadeau's kit is now two years old.

It's very fun at times, but at other times I wish I hadn't gone through with it. It does get very drab, boring, and not to mention -annoying-.

Thank the Gods for my NPC Nurse who tends to the child when Shadeau is out. ::hums:: It saves me from going crazy.

Now, keep in mind, the nurse doesn't actually exist in the game as an NPC, she and the child are played through Shadeau's acts and such things, though once in a while I will actually bring out the kit's PC and use it, to avoid confusion.

~Jen,
Player of a Prydaen Prophet.
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/04/2004 11:01 PM CDT
This is just my thought and I prolly won't even read the boards again until this post is long gone but I just hadda comment. I'm currently an Average Ranger and although I'm quite a bit differant than alot of people, I've been through 5 wolves in a week before so if that idea ever did go into effect, I'd make it like a once a year thing in RL or even longer, otherwise Elanthia's death rate would skyrocket, we'd be having like 8 million child death's a month. Plus, realistically, if a child dies people wouldn't shrug it off and go make another one or possibly 5 in a week. Hope some of this made sense, Personally I don't like the idea at all but I just thought I'd mention something about a restriction on it, just in case it does happen.

Mavean

-What is gold, does not always glitter-
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/05/2004 11:00 AM CDT
Two quick thoughts...

1) Keresyk, is adolescent.. so while I'm sure at one point in time I knew or something, I'm just going to blindly stab and say he's like 15-20 years old. (or equivalent) You show me a 15 year old from any time period that doesn't know about weapons and I'll show you a cream puff.

2) Hard coded systems take away, often, from the game. Over the years I've seen couples from time to time Roleplay pregnancy/birth/child with amazing prowess. There's even the baby blankets and basonets or whatever else out there, objects, in place to facilitate this.

Just my take on the subject ;)

"And my 5 page script doesnt include origami yet. It does, however, do all my rp'ing while I'm afk so that when I get back I can just work on skills." ~Sanya
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/05/2004 11:00 PM CDT
Keresyk was (I thought) a 13 year old Elf. That makes him barely more than an infant (even though he can already kill Treks with a bloody sling...)

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

For me, there is no perfect day.
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/05/2004 11:21 PM CDT
>Keresyk was (I thought) a 13 year old Elf. That makes him barely more than an infant (even though he can >already kill Treks with a bloody sling...)

It was my understand that he wasn't a 13 year old Elf, but the equivalent to a 13 year old Human. Which puts him somewhere around 30-40 Elven years (or so).

Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/06/2004 12:08 AM CDT
It was my understanding that Elves age once a year like everyone else, they just have very, very, very long lifespans.

Then again, I could be wrong.

But still, at 13, especially in the time perioid DR is in, I could see a child knowning about weapons and how to use them, for things like hunting (to bring in food), for example.

~Jen,
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/06/2004 12:58 AM CDT
Hunting for food, yes. Hunting celpeze? Absolutely not.

~ Renous
______
I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/06/2004 12:42 PM CDT
>>we'd be having like 8 million child death's a month.

|
|
|
|
|
V

Know the apostrophe.
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/06/2004 03:51 PM CDT
Keep in mind, V, some people have very twisted minds, even at young ages. Perhaps he's one of these people?

~Jen,
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/07/2004 10:20 PM CDT
>>It was my understand that he wasn't a 13 year old Elf, but the equivalent to a 13 year old Human. Which puts him somewhere around 30-40 Elven years (or so).

Wow I'm only 22. I knew this was an age wayyy to young for elves to bear children (therefore I try to reflect that in Britia, she doesnt plan to marry for quite a few years). Does that mean there are 3 "elf years" to every human year? grins

I agree with what was stated before, it is my belief that a 22 year old elf, is very similar to a 22 year old human. But again, I could be very wrong...is there any official information on this?

~ Britia

Proud member of:
Zoluren Phoenix
Empathic Shifting Council
and Order of the Empathic Artisians
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/07/2004 10:34 PM CDT
>>>It was my understand that he wasn't a 13 year old Elf, but the equivalent to a 13 year old Human. Which puts him somewhere around 30-40 Elven years (or so).

>Wow I'm only 22. I knew this was an age wayyy to young for elves to bear children (therefore I try to >reflect that in Britia, she doesnt plan to marry for quite a few years). Does that mean there are 3 "elf >years" to every human year? grins

>I agree with what was stated before, it is my belief that a 22 year old elf, is very similar to a 22 year >old human. But again, I could be very wrong...is there any official information on this?

I was just rereading what I had originally said and it must have been early, it makes little sense. What I should have said was "It was my understanding that he wasn't 13 years old in Elven years, but like a 13 year old Human (would act, physiology, etc.)" It would be nice to get a new official time on Elven age equivalents, because the information I'm going off of, was released years back - and may have been re-written/ re-evaluated since that time.

Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/07/2004 11:41 PM CDT
From what I've noticed, they age a year every year just like all of the rest of the races, and live a very long time, so they phsyically age slower.

For example, a 500 year elf may look no older than 30-40.

And I read somewhere, Brit, that Elves don't have children untill at least 40 years of age. My Elf rolled out at liek 50, I think.. Late 40's maybe.. I can't recall.. but I thought she came out pretty old, since all of the other elves I know seem to be younger.

~Jen,
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/07/2004 11:58 PM CDT
I rolled out pretty old as well. Tykyra is 67 now and has been around for 4 RL years.

~Tykyra~
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/08/2004 05:11 AM CDT
Older than what I thought.

~Jen,
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/12/2004 02:41 PM CDT
Eh.. this is getting into alot of p-sychology stuff here.

I mean, logically a year is a year is a year. The term we are all familiar with is "dog years" meaning that biologically a dogs life span is equivalent to 1/7th a humans.

The dog doesn't actually "age" 7 times faster. Age is a term relevant to the passage of time.

The dog simply dies 7 times sooner, generally.

Also a dog MATURES 7 times faster.

So elves Mature slower than humans. Doesn't mean said elf couldn't gain the same life experience as a human.

Personally, I'd imagine 30 year old elf to have the same knowledge and wisdom (relative terms not game mechanics) as a 30 year old human, only he/she wouldn't have the same viewpoint.. as a 30 year old human generally feels that "this is around the age I gotta set myself up for middle age and then old age, this is the last of my 'youth' years"

while an elf at 30 would still have the same view of the future as a 5 year old human: Something unfathomable that can't really be grasped quite yet.

Just opinions, and as with any 'culture' (shudder to use the term race, as in the real world it's not applicable" there are polar extremes.

Keresyk, (to get back on subject) in my opinion is complex for his age (human or elf) in that he comprehends his responsibilities and understands the proper way to approach them, while still maintaining his youthfull exuberance. Regardless as to what the experts on physiology might come up with..

It's my experience he's mature enough to be called a man by other men... but not by women.

If that don't sense.. then... heh, nothin' will. ;)

"And my 5 page script doesnt include origami yet. It does, however, do all my rp'ing while I'm afk so that when I get back I can just work on skills." ~Sanya
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/15/2004 12:49 AM CDT
Elves
+discipline
Re: OOC: About roleplaying pregnancy and children in the realms. 10/15/2004 06:05 PM CDT
My Elf was 49 when he started, he's 74 now
My Human was 18 originally, but had a forced reroll into 19. He's 47 now, he will be old enough for Social Security in about 5 more IRL years (it's been 8 now)

Pataca, Almost 75
Mr. fierymage eventually 50
System Announcement: Please don't light any more fires in containers today, or place fires in containers.