commoner departure? 12/19/2010 06:43 PM CST
was wondering if anyone was going to stay a commoner IF the current proposed system goes forward or if they are going to pack up and go to the guild halls and sign up.
Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 08:34 PM CST
they have stated that tdps will accrue according to primary and secondary skill sets. Commoners at the present learn everything as if secondary in terms of skill Learning, but nobody has said anything about how they will accrue TDPs under the new system. If my commoners cease to get TDPs, they aren't joining a guild, they'll just become vault characters or raffle bums, i guess. :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 08:54 PM CST
This is from DR-Socharis.

>>Ah yes - A critical part that I missed, and it's a bit controversial.

>>Commoners will not earn any TDPs until they join a guild. While this does suck for career commoners, it bears reminding that it's entirely possible to join a guild and disguise that you're in that guild for almost every case. They can get themselves a primary skill rate and circling TDPs as well, so it really just means sacrificing the 'commoner' in their title.

>>There's some arguments floating around that sum up as "If you want to adventure, you need to be an adventurer". This isn't the right forum for that discussion, though, so I wanted to head those discussions off at the pass.

>>Bottom line is, I understand that the smidgen of the population that actively plays a commoner will stop being able to earn TDPs. They'll still get refunded for the stats they've currently purchased (and will be able to re-spend those TDPs at their leisure) but will no longer be able to earn more.

--

"The ninety and nine are with dreams, content but the hope of the world made new, is the hundredth man who is grimly bent on making those dreams come true." -E.A.P.
Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 08:57 PM CST
>>>>Bottom line is, I understand that the smidgen of the population that actively plays a commoner will stop being able to earn TDPs. They'll still get refunded for the stats they've currently purchased (and will be able to re-spend those TDPs at their leisure) but will no longer be able to earn more.

Does this mean that we will be able to spend the tdps that we have earned once everything gets converted? But we will never be able to raise our scores again? Or does this mean that we will have straight 10 ability scores until we join a guild?
Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 08:59 PM CST
It means if you're a commoner now, you'll keep your TDPs, but won't gain any more. Nor will future commoners gain any.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 09:04 PM CST
>but nobody has said anything about how they will accrue TDPs under the new system.

Minor correction: commoners will not gain TDPs.

https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=4&topic=11&message=8258

It's pretty simple to understand why Commoners cannot be awarded TDPs under the proposed system, since upon joining a guild their TDPS from two skillsets would be recalculated to zero, potentially placing the commoner in TDP debt.

"Magic has rules and so does posting on these forums." -Annwyl
Re: commoner departure? 12/19/2010 09:07 PM CST
>>It means if you're a commoner now, you'll keep your TDPs, but won't gain any more. Nor will future commoners gain any.

Thanks for the clarification.
Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 02:01 AM CST
so pretty much "career" commoners will be screwed over.

so much for RP.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 05:39 AM CST
>so pretty much "career" commoners will be screwed over.

>so much for RP.

The first (lack of TDP gain) doesn't dictate the second.

I will continue to play all 12 of mine, even without TDP gain.
Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 07:20 AM CST
Why not just join the Traders Guild?

You might lose Commoner in your title, but you can gain Miser, Errand Boy, Bankrupt, Patron, Clerk, Independent Contractor, Table Waiter, and many other common people titles.

You don't have any of that magic stuff making you into a different person, and with that as half of your tertiary skillset, you don't lose much either.

Afraid that switching to a guild will make you into Clark Kent, with Superman lurking in your repertoire underneath? Never fear, as a Trader you will have no ability that is even remotely useful in combat, with the exception of chucking coins at people. And, honestly, what commoner wouldn't be able to do that?

Sure, you need Trading to circle, but as a Commoner, you weren't doing that anyways. Now, under the proposed system, you're free to gain TDPs from every skillset in the game except weapons, which is better than none at all.

Forget the yak and leave those gem pouches at home. Join the guild to experience the joy of being common with all of the benefits of skill training.

- Aristron
Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 07:54 AM CST
Having just trained a Trader I can honestly say, Traders are the closest thing to being a Commoner.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 08:04 AM CST
It's really not that bad. I got my Trader up to a decently mid-range circle and then had him decide that he hated everything about the guild. I stopped running caravans, selling pouches, and working the pits.

Aside from chucking coins at the random friend, he had the exact feel that my necrocommoner did. Except for the 30 strength, 35 agility, and enough charisma to stroll through trips across the Ways with Moonies.

Frankly, that's what I love about the Trader Guild. They aren't a guild of supermen. They're just a bunch of regular guys who got a hook up from the guild in negotiations with other commoner NPCs. (ie. we can sell our own gem pouches in bulk, we can sell crap from tables, we get more cash from selling bundles). That's it. We really are Commoners in every sense. We just got one hell of a guild backed hook-up with other NPCs.

- Aristron
Re: commoner departure? 12/20/2010 08:33 AM CST

Gang,

This is the Commoner corner, not the recruiting folder for Traders :P

Additionally, for my and the GMs sanity, kindly keep the TDP discussion over in The Experience folder in in Abilities Skills and Magic.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: commoner departure? 12/22/2010 03:08 PM CST
Please please please let commoners train tdp's. I have liked every change you have made in 12 years and am sure I will like the new coming changes with the exception of commoners not being allowed to gain tdp's. Other than that, thanks for all the hard work and makng the game better.
Re: commoner departure? 12/22/2010 03:42 PM CST
>>Please please please let commoners train tdp's. I have liked every change you have made in 12 years and am sure I will like the new coming changes with the exception of commoners not being allowed to gain tdp's. Other than that, thanks for all the hard work and makng the game better.

also make sure to give them a guild like ability like CLEAN BOOTS or DIG IN MUD or even BRING OUT THE DEAD.

Uthgaar
Re: commoner departure? 12/22/2010 04:13 PM CST
>> or even BRING OUT THE DEAD.

Don't infringe upon the Traders. Carting around bodies is one of their only abilities. On the other hand, if you're looking for those things ... <censored by order of the mod>.

- Aristron, the jesting Cleric.
Re: commoner departure? 12/22/2010 09:54 PM CST
Well hey, I've played at least 12 years. I'm not gonna stop now. I kinda like alot of people around here. I've seen widespread panic with every change, and you know what, things turned out okay. I want commoners to stay around, but if they don't then I will probaly stay around anyway. I guess I like the people here. Well that and I am close to being able to climb and swim all the way from Crossing to Shard, that is a major goal of mine, and I am getting pretty good at fighting the critters on the "raise dead" quest (not my commoner). So I will probaly stick around if one thing I don't like happens. Even though I find commoners the most interesting.
Re: commoner departure? 12/22/2010 10:07 PM CST
>>Even though I find commoners the most interesting.

If I ask, "Interesting how?", will I get an interesting answer?
Re: commoner departure? 12/23/2010 08:03 AM CST
well, for one thing, commoners can actually visit most of the guildhalls, can get in a couple other places as well. just can't use magic <except self-activating>. they can craft and do things like that without being tied down to a set of standards, so can pretty much train whatever skills they like.

Re: commoner departure? 12/23/2010 08:27 AM CST
>> well, for one thing, commoners can actually visit most of the guildhalls, can get in a couple other places as well. just can't use magic <except self-activating>. they can craft and do things like that without being tied down to a set of standards, so can pretty much train whatever skills they like.

Anyone with enough hiding and stalking can do a fair amount of that. Thieves accidentally end up inside the Trader guildhall a fair amount if they start stalking someone too close to the guild.

On the crafting, if by 'without being tied down to a set of standards' you mean they don't get any guild bonuses, then yes, that's technically true. But any guilded person would have the same options. They'd just have more bonus to one of them.

If you really want to list the advantage of playing a Commoner, it's this. If you are a heavy roleplayer, you can play in the game for months, or even years, and experience life-changing moments through GM and player run events, as well as social interactions. A 50th circle Trader might realize the futility of his life in the face of war against necromantic threats and wish to take up the cloth as a Cleric. The difference between a roleplaying career Commoner and that 50th circle Trader in that same situation is that the Commoner can. Look at Totenus. Even though he was playing towards the singular aim the whole time, he played it out and was able to do what a lot of us have wanted from time to time: to join a particular guild during a character 'aha' moment. That's the strength of the Commoner.

I no longer have any Commoners. With the advent of the 50/100 rank bonuses there was no longer the need to train future tertiary skills as a Commoner. With no new guilds on the horizon, there's no need to XXXXcommoner until release.

I have absolutely no problem with people playing career Commoners. It's not meant to be easy or favorable by any means. With the loss of TDP gain, it would seem to me that being a Commoner would be tantamount to being as close to being a non-adventurer as possible. There are absolutely RP avenues that can be exhausted there. Just don't expect any perks from a world where adventurers are defined by membership in guilds.

- Aristron
Re: commoner departure? 12/23/2010 08:42 AM CST
If you don't like commoners, don't play them. Some of us like them. Why do people like chocolate, some don't. If you don't like chocolate don't eat it.