What are the odds? 12/11/2010 08:58 PM CST
Now that we're talking about the new experience system, what's the odds of commoners receiving a bonus to making clothing, armor, weapons, etc....to me it just makes sens that commoners should get a bonus to doing manual labor.
Re: What are the odds? 12/11/2010 09:13 PM CST
As soon as they implement a farming system, you'll probably get a nice bonus.
Re: What are the odds? 12/12/2010 01:44 AM CST
Just wait until the changes come with Peasantry 3.0. Commoners are going to be completely OP when it comes to charcoal burning, rat catching, corpse disposal and waste management. Personally I think it's a mistake not to give them a guild-only skill. I suggest it be called Drudgery, or possibly Subservience.

Making things like clothing, to say nothing of armor is the purview of skilled laborers, not really something the serfs should be concerning themselves with on a marketable basis. Just enough to keep themselves decently covered and the smell to a reasonable minimum is fine. As for weapons, that's far too much like permitting an armed peasantry, and who wants that? Not me, thanks.

Ogdaro
"Take chances and see what you can get away with, it only costs you a favor or two if you mess up." -Issus

P.S. Sorry. Had to.
Re: What are the odds? 12/12/2010 04:25 AM CST
>>I suggest it be called Drudgery, or possibly Subservience.

Call it Inadequacy.
Re: What are the odds? 12/13/2010 10:33 PM CST
Woah, Woah, Woah, there are many commoners way above serf and peasant. Ever hears of a Yeoman. Welsh longbowman from the Commoners and many others.
Re: What are the odds? 12/16/2010 04:28 PM CST
There's little need for Yeomen in Dragonrealms, unfortunately. We have adventurers who call masses of fire down from the skies as if it's a rainy day in Seattle, and enemies who bring millions of troops. The power of Yeomen was to create a large enough hail of arrows to strike a decent (and possibly fatal) hit on everyone, and the numbers any province could muster would be a mere skirmish on our adventurer's scale. At best, yeomen would simply exist to give adventurers (or enemies) a way to spend an extra ten seconds instant-killing.

>
You're not used to life as a fish, are you?
Re: What are the odds? 12/17/2010 04:00 AM CST
Kinda the whole problem with playing a Barbarian sometimes. If warmies can kill everything in the room, what's the point.

Bleh.

"Your suffering amuses me" -GM Raesh

Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Blunts for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Re: What are the odds? 12/17/2010 06:15 PM CST
I would have to say that in elanthia, every person is needed. Given that thousands of brave adventures have been unable to clear the wilds near Crossing after years of trying, it seems that the traditional adventuring guilds are unable to deal with the threats that face Elanthia. I feel that if more commoners were enlisted to help fight against these threats, Elanthia may have a better chance at defending themselves against unspeakable monsters.

So I disagree. Commoners are very much needed. And I feel that Arnwolf's statement still holds true and that is commoners fill a niche in society that extends beyond mere peasant and serf.
Re: What are the odds? 12/17/2010 06:41 PM CST
Do you realize there's a difference between IC and OOC?
Re: What are the odds? 12/18/2010 10:14 AM CST
If commoners weren't common, they'd be exceptional. Essentially, they cease being commoners and become adventurers. They simply choose not to join a guild.