Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 01:39 PM CST
Thinking of Picking Back Up my VERY lowely commoner and want to confirm some quick things have not changed since I have been away. Are these statements still all true?

1. All skills gained while a commoner are retained when joining your first guild
2. All skills are learned at a secondary rate
3. There is no way other then listening to classes to learn magics
4. All TDPS from skills are gained

Subjective Questions:

Mentals and stamina still very important stats to start with?

Thanks
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 01:42 PM CST
1. True
2. True
3. Mostly true. You can learn a bit of MD using a self-activating device like the fan from the premie shop.
4. True

As far as stats, I probably wouldn't worry about mentals for awhile. Maybe a few points in wisdom, but I'd put my tdps mostly in strength/stamina/agility/reflex to start.
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 01:44 PM CST
Great reply, thank you for the information. I would not even have thought about using the fan.

More tips/tricks welcome!
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 03:15 PM CST
You can also learn MD and a little TM from the LB wand from the Shard (curio?) shop if you get a magic user to focus it.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 03:24 PM CST
Interesting! I assume you mean having them focus it to full power first? Also if memory serves dont they have a very small limit on uses? Like 8?

Thanks again
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 03:45 PM CST
>Interesting! I assume you mean having them focus it to full power first? Also if memory serves dont they have a very small limit on uses? Like 8?

Yes, but you don't burn a charge if you fail to invoke the device. So they work well until you gain some skill. If you have a way of tanking concentration (thief khri for instance) they work longer.
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 04:30 PM CST
Thanks again for the information.
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 04:31 PM CST
>>Mentals and stamina still very important stats to start with?<<

I would focus on physicals first more than mentals, if you plan to be hunting at all. Once you get those to a comfortable level, go back to mentals.

If you are going to sit in classes all day and fold origami, then more mentals the better.
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/10/2009 09:19 PM CST
Mentals are still almost-important if you are learning well in combat. They definitely took a hit, but I'm finding that with my paladin after RESPEC (when my mentals are now back down in the low 10s) I don't have enough to properly take advantage of sand sprites when before RESPEC (mentals in the low 20s) I was able to stay in combat moreorless indefinitely with only occasional fluidity and without having to employ SLEEP or favor orbs.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/16/2009 01:08 PM CST
>>As far as stats, I probably wouldn't worry about mentals for awhile. Maybe a few points in wisdom, but I'd put my tdps mostly in strength/stamina/agility/reflex to start.

What he said.

Zeyurn says, "If you stop finding bugs and things I can code Necros some day."
Re: Commoner Downsides 02/16/2009 01:15 PM CST
Just an update, I followed advice given and have a commoner who rivals a circle 10 or so. Thank you all for your thoughts.
Re: Commoner Downsides 05/25/2009 05:34 PM CDT
Mine rivals Circle 50 at least