strength and weapons 07/19/2008 01:47 PM CDT
is there a particular strength that a commoner needs to get so that he can always learn weapons. After all, if you don't hit hard, you get less exp.
Re: strength and weapons 07/26/2008 12:16 PM CDT
As a practical matter, no. Recall that you can learn some melee weapons skill just standing still and parrying. I think the limit is 50 ranks on that. In addition, if you attack from hiding, you get harder hits too, so you could build up weapons skill after hiding is sufficient. How hard you hit also depends on the target and the weapon you use.
Re: strength and weapons 07/26/2008 02:12 PM CDT
As long as you are learning parry, you are most likely learning the weapon type with which you parry.

Depending upon the creature being hunted, for attack rate , spawn, etc..., it can provide a significant amount of experience while allowing you to train other skills.

Unless you are having problems with your fatigue/RT I would focus on agility at this time. Yes, it may be separated from damage calcs eventually, but that is still probably a ways down the line.

Also, unless something has changed, hitting harder will actually deprive you of experience later on as you one-hit things instead of 3-4 hits which depending upon the hunting ground is quite a pain.

I am --- Navak
Re: strength and weapons 07/27/2008 02:30 PM CDT
On the other hand, if you are one hit killing critters, you can adjust your ATTACK stance to make that less likely.
Re: strength and weapons 07/28/2008 06:11 PM CDT
>>On the other hand, if you are one hit killing critters, you can adjust your ATTACK stance to make that less likely.

Which also decreases accuracy which will make poorly balanced weapons like axes/claymores/and such even worse, lowers ability to overcome MR, etc...

I am --- Navak
Re: strength and weapons 07/29/2008 11:40 AM CDT
Speaking of balance, does anyone have any idea when agility is supposed to be separated from damage? Weapons that hit really hard thanks to good balance and agility make my greatsword sad.

I had a good idea for a signature... but I forgot what it was...
Re: strength and weapons 08/02/2008 04:37 PM CDT
I think you are confused Wisecrackdragon. The weapons that are more balanced don't hit harder, their damage comes from hitting more accurately. I wouldn't expect for that to change. And your greatsword can remain sad.

-Rev

- "I don't mind people disliking me. The question is, what are they in a position to do about it?"
~William S Burroughs
Re: strength and weapons 08/02/2008 09:09 PM CDT
<<the weapons that are more balanced don't hit harder, their balance comes from hitting more accurately>>

Uh... what? You know that accuracy and damage have not been separated in the combat system yet, right? If balance doesn't effect accuracy, then I'm mistaken, but in my experience a reasonably balanced weapon will hit more often than a dismally balanced one if all esle is equal.

Since GMs have stated that a point of agility (accuracy) can increase the damage of your hits even more than a point of strength, more accuracy will generally equate to more damage. On top of that, you're hitting more often. So far in my experience high agility and balanced weapons tend to be favored even by people who use shield instead of parry.

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Half the people you know are below average.
Re: strength and weapons 08/04/2008 09:20 AM CDT
Agility and balance increase your accuracy and damage. Strength and suitedness increase damage.

Blasphemy2 is spouting blasphemy.

Re: strength and weapons 08/04/2008 02:47 PM CDT
That's what I thought. And this is hopefully going to be changed to be a bit less unbalanced - agil + balance will affect accuracy, str + suitedness will affect damage. Of course, with the cap on how much damage a body part can take, this may be pretty meaningless at the higher circles since any hit will hurt a lot so higher accuracy = win. If that gets changed too, we'll finally have a more balanced weapon selection - some will hit really hard but miss more often, others will hit more often but hurt less. That's how I see things playing out, anyway.

J>* Moving in with powerful grace, a bristle-backed peccary charges at you.

The head lands a heavy strike that pokes the head into your rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
[You're beat up, nimbly balanced and in very strong position.]
Re: strength and weapons 08/04/2008 08:11 PM CDT
>Agility and balance increase your accuracy and damage. Strength and suitedness increase damage.

That was what I had meant to convey, obviously I worded my post poorly.

-Rev

- "I don't mind people disliking me. The question is, what are they in a position to do about it?"
~William S Burroughs
Re: strength and weapons 08/05/2008 10:42 AM CDT
That's what I was saying in my post as well. You don't see how that's a little skewed balance-wise? If it's doing more damage, it's hitting harder.

J>* Moving in with powerful grace, a bristle-backed peccary charges at you.

The head lands a heavy strike that pokes the head into your rear end (more embarrassing than painful!).
[You're beat up, nimbly balanced and in very strong position.]