Querying the Hive Mind 05/03/2007 10:57 PM CDT
My wee commoner finally has enough TDPs to train a stat. Any stat, but only once. She probably won't have enough TDPs to train another stat for at least a few weeks. So tell me, which do you all suppose would be best? Her main focus right now is combat, but I'm not sure if it would be better to train a mental to improve combat learning (and maybe eventually get more TDPs?) or if it would be better to train stamina, strength, agility or reflexes, to improve the actual combat itself. She's a S'kra Mur who uses a crossing scimitar as her main weapon, and has 40-50 ranks in all of her combat skills.

Strength : 13 Reflex : 11
Agility : 10 Charisma : 10
Discipline : 10 Wisdom : 12
Intelligence : 12 Stamina : 13

I ask in the commoners folder, because I'm interested in responses from a commoner sort of perspective. Does learning become a problem with low mentals eventually? Is it better to pump everything into combat stats to gain more TDPs? Etc.
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 09:33 AM CDT
My first instinct is wisdom, as it will aid in learning, since you're going to need to get all tdp's from ranks.

Someone will probably correct me though.
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 09:38 AM CDT
Honestly everything is difficult as a commoner, especially when you can't count on training stats early on. I might go for wisdom too because those early points make a real difference, but I tend to favor mentals more than most people.
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 09:39 AM CDT
being a true commoner I would definately recommend wisdom or intelligence to at least 20 before focusing on other skills simply for the fact that being non-guilded you don't get any TDP's for circle

>assist request to bug Reexa for no good reason whatsoever
>assist position
You are number 1 in the premium assist queue.

SEND[Reexa] Boohiss!

>snicker
You snicker.
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 11:41 AM CDT
If you have trouble with fatigue, go with stamina. If not, go with wisdom.

Player of a few commoners!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 12:25 PM CDT
Agility and reflex are fine at this point. Wisdom and discipline would be my choices unless you're having significant issues with fatigue or you batter too quickly when hit, then stamina could use a bit.

M
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/04/2007 10:18 PM CDT
Thanks for all the great responses.

I've always been pretty bad at choosing stats, but with a guilded character it doesn't matter so much. I was leaning toward stamina, but went with wisdom per the overwhelming advice I've received. Fun fact: Training wisdom immediately after dying returns fatigue, spirit, and health to 100 percent. (The death was somewhat unavoidable and not combat related, so it didn't make me rethink the choice of wisdom over stamina.)

Combat isn't unbearable in eels currently, and hopefully she'll be able to train stamina sometime before she's ready to move up to...whatever it is that people hunt after eels. Heh. Playing a new character is actually a lot more fun than I thought it would be...I'm rediscovering parts of the game (all of these new creatures!) that I'd never see otherwise.

The commoner perspective is pretty fun in itself -- most people seem appalled that this character hasn't joined a guild, so I've gotten to hear all of the "pitches" from the various guilds. Good times.
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/05/2007 10:59 AM CDT
>>The commoner perspective is pretty fun in itself -- most people seem appalled that this character hasn't joined a guild, so I've gotten to hear all of the "pitches" from the various guilds. Good times.

I've gotten the same pitches. And while not having the circling TDPs is a bit hard, I tell people I don't miss not having some silly guildleader tell me which skill to train next. ;)

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Querying the Hive Mind 05/19/2007 10:59 PM CDT
My advice is for you to give priority to what you want to train. If combats are important to you and you find yourself getting fatigued easily then train strength and stamina. Once you're able to use your weapons adequately, leave those stats alone for a while. Train reflex and agility as you need them to avoid and inflict damage.

You'll have better luck hunting natural creatures since you don't have to worry about getting past parry and shield, so I'd recommend that. Of course you'll want to hunt a given creature that works for you for as long as it teaches you well. There's no reason to rush up the hunting ladder. I prioritized combat stats initially so that I could comfortably hunt and I haven't regretted that decision in the least. Since I'd hit advanced ranks I can steadily generating enough TDPs to train mentals and physical stats--albeit slowly.

- Totenus