Spotify 07/20/2011 12:53 PM CDT
Anyone else been trying it out?

The plus side is I can find pretty much anything I've looked for.

The downside is that I have to legitimately think about what I want to look for, AND possibly construct playlists.

Pandora is a lot nicer for my lazy self in that regard.

Also, Spotify's uber-fancy paid version is $10/mo, while Pandora is $10/yr.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 01:32 PM CDT
<<The downside is that I have to legitimately think about what I want to look for, AND possibly construct playlists.>>

This is why I don't use Grooveshark. I have a friend who works there so I got a free VIP account, but I never use it because I have to actually spend time making my own lists, or crossing my fingers and hoping someone else's list(s) will be decent.

Solomon
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 02:21 PM CDT
>Anyone else been trying it out?

I put in for a free level account a couple weeks ago. Still no notice on getting in, and I don't pay before seeing if I'll use it if I can help it.

Would really like to try it though.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 02:59 PM CDT
I'm on it and I have mixed feelings about it. I currently have 1 friend who is on my facebook and has spotify so I can view his playlists, the problem is they can make playlists of local files and if they do that you CANNOT listen to those songs so you can only really listen to playlists that are created by digging through their library. The commercials bug me as well. I know there is a paid version of it but I'm going to hold off until I have a lot more friends on it to test it properly. I still prefer Pandora at this time.

-Vorofilum
If you have questions or comments, please email me at (Mod-Vorofilum@play.net) or Senior Board Monitor Sidatura at (DR-Sidatura@play.net) or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net).
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 04:03 PM CDT
I put in for a free level account a couple weeks ago. Still no notice on getting in, and I don't pay before seeing if I'll use it if I can help it.

Would really like to try it though. >>

What he said

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BearTrap
Traps, coming soon to DR.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 04:23 PM CDT
I'd re-apply just to be safe.

I applied the day before they started sending out invites and got one the day after they started sending those invites out.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 04:50 PM CDT
>I applied the day before they started sending out invites and got one the day after they started sending those invites out.

Depending on when that was, it's probably seen a lot of free advertisement since then.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 07:15 PM CDT
Strangely I got my invite today it arrived about an hour after I made that post.
Easy to use interview and they have a 'related artists tab' which I love.
Free isn't 'bad' but the adds can really be annoying, I was listening to a band called Funeral for a friend a song ended suddenly and I get an add about rising country stars. Talk about ruining the mood.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BearTrap
Traps, coming soon to DR.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 09:04 PM CDT
>>Anyone else been trying it out?

I used to use it all the time when I was living in Europe, and loved it. Then again, there was no Pandora in Europe, and Last.fm got repetitive quickly.

I didn't find it that bad to have to search for music. I'd just search for an artist, grab a bunch of albums, mash a few together and hit play. But I guess I'm not that picky?

The main problem for me now is that I've started to really, really hate ads. I think Spotify would be my app of choice if it were worth it for me to pay the monthly fee. Maybe one day.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 09:16 PM CDT
>>Free isn't 'bad' but the adds can really be annoying, I was listening to a band called Funeral for a friend a song ended suddenly and I get an add about rising country stars. Talk about ruining the mood.

Yeah, it definitely needs better ad targeting.

I was listening to The Dwarves and got some easy listening jazz ad pop up. A minor genre difference.
Re: Spotify 07/20/2011 09:45 PM CDT
Well color me purple and spank me. I just got an invite an hour or two ago, after sitting on it for a few weeks.

Wonder if they have global spy satellites monitoring me.

I'll get the chance to test it out tomorrow I hope. Shame that mobile is pay only.
Re: Spotify 07/21/2011 03:03 PM CDT
<<I used to use it all the time when I was living in Europe, and loved it. Then again, there was no Pandora in Europe, and Last.fm got repetitive quickly.

Me too

Nikpack