How to get an alteration? 07/29/2012 07:47 PM CDT

So, I've been playing DR on and off for 15 years, and I have never managed to get an alteration done. I've always wanted something unique. But it just never worked out for me before.

What's the way to get one down now, given that I am not now Premium and don't have any LTB? What are my options? I have commissioned a very nice rare metal weapon from an excellent smith and I would like nothing more than to have it personalized.

Do I have any chance? Are there vouchers that I can buy? I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my first alteration in 15 years.
Re: How to get an alteration? 07/29/2012 08:16 PM CDT
Best shot is attend Hallow eve fest and camp the alteration suite or just show up for scheduled alterers. you could try to buy a voucher off a trader table or drsales or something, but still ned the merchant there to do the work. Or build up the 900 ltbs and get one done that way. Easiest is probably HE fast though.
Re: How to get an alteration? 07/29/2012 10:14 PM CDT
I want to throw out if your thinking about getting an alteration voucher, there are some vouchers out there that were set up for other things, and may not be still viable as vouchers, or if they are were never set up for alterations.

I think in Events there is a sub-folder where you can post a description, and/or check out the folder and find out the red-name who you can email for assistance in determining if a voucher is valid (for this you send what your voucher's description (tap/look) and ask if its valid anymore).

Re: How to get an alteration? 07/29/2012 10:24 PM CDT
I will say this first: It can be somewhat difficult to get an alteration without spending something.

Vouchers: There are still a few of these around here and there, most from what I gather are from merchants no longer operating. It can be pretty tough to get someone to look at a voucher and accept it. I really, really, advise to not even try this route. It can either be a waste of time/money or you could be stuck having to get something "styled" in a way that you don't approve of. Sometimes you have to pay in plats at the end of the session. If its an old voucher you can pretty much bet that you will.

Free Festival: This is pretty much what we saw at "Guildfest" just recently. It was somewhat tame, and the focus was really on the shops and the merchants. The pavilion always had somebody in it and the GM's were really awesome about trying to be there for us. These sort of things are kinda subject to availability, that's why some merchants were there for a few customers and others were there for hours (if not most of the day :) There was a vague schedule posted so that some people could try and work with specific merchants who might do specialized items.

Paid Festival: This is your "Hallows Eve" or as I like to call it "Spiderfest" type of shindig. Merchants are far more frequent and there is a rather detailed schedule of events posted. You get access to all sorts of neat shops which give you tons of base items to get altered. There are numerous rounds of alterations so its not uncommon to walk away from HE with at least two alterations. Sometimes you have to pay in plats, sometimes in coppers. Depends. There is also the gift, and normally a few sessions scheduled for people to get these tweaked. Also there is a storyline and events that normally play out with theses.

Surprise: This does happen, I've gotten a smattering of things done this way personally. System wide message or gweth will ring out with someone's caravan opening. Dash over and a buddy whispers "JOIN LIST!" and "HURRY!" Before you know it, you're chatting away with such and such who happens to be a master of something or another. You still have to pay the merchant in plats at the end of the session.

I should mention this...

Weddings: One really awesome thing I've always liked is the DR Weddings packages. Have a party for friends, or get some buddies in with you and share the cost. Its over 20 items for the Queens package. Let your imagination go wild. Little bit of plats on this too, but out of all the options this one has potential to pay for itself or allow you to recoup the cost by selling made items. There are some restrictions on what you can make, and this really isn't an "alteration" it's more like making a "custom" item.

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Re: How to get an alteration? 07/30/2012 12:10 PM CDT

Thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like my best bet, if I'm really that determined, is to attend Hallows Eve. I've never attended a paid fest before so maybe it's about time that I do.
Re: How to get an alteration? 07/30/2012 12:37 PM CDT
The pay-fests can really be a ton of fun. Great shops, engaging merchants, greeters with trinkets, unique attendance gift. It's something I would suggest every player try at least once.

System Announcement: The Night Sun has been snuffed. It's dark again. Now the scary stuff comes out.
Re: How to get an alteration? 07/30/2012 06:40 PM CDT
I want to throw one more thing out there on this Festival side of thing.

It seems the current trend of GMs for festivals is attempt to get as many people at least one alteration. People have to go out to the alteration 'room' and wait. However it seems that SIMU has pushed this forward, and has gotten some success with it.

Along these lines, I've been around for a lot shorter then many of the other posters here, but still a few years now. And while the HE does have a lot more alteraters around, this just passing (a few months now ago) Guild Festival had a fairly full course (in my opinion) of offerings in the alteration department.

Biggest thing overall, is try to be available, and definitely be patient, if you do that for either of these festivals I believe you'll have a decent shot (especially as long as SIMU continues their current practice).

Re: How to get an alteration? 08/01/2012 06:57 AM CDT
If you attend HE fest, and have a ton of free time to sit around waiting on alteration lists (5-7 hours a pop), you likely will walk away with a few. The alterers this past HE fest were amazing and super generous with their time. Regardless, the fest is well worth attending. There's plenty to do, a ridiculous amount of alterations and raffles galore.

Squanto: think they'll make it so we can swim to the islands?
Codiax: probably not but who knows
Squanto: maybe moonwalk faster on the iceroad with enough reflex, athletics & xibar up?
Codiax: lol yeah totally. have to sing ice ice baby to make it work
Re: How to get an alteration? 08/01/2012 07:30 AM CDT
Keep an eye out for the schedules. Try to come earlier as sometimes some GMs may show up earlier than expected.

Try not to be too discouraged if things don't go to plan.

Set aside DAYS to sit around in front of the computer and do nothing but wait. :D Make sandwiches and have a picnic by your PC... ;)

Manage your significant other's aggro!!!

Be prepared with your alteration and have a backup plan if your idea is rejected.
Re: How to get an alteration? 08/01/2012 08:50 AM CDT
>Be prepared with your alteration and have a backup plan if your idea is rejected.

This can't be said enough. For the sake of others have a rough to complete idea of what you want, and be willing to change it or get something else done if it is not work the alterer would do, or isn't within bounds of acceptable, etc.

The faster alteration sessions go, the less mentally abused the GM is, the more chance of extra sessions getting done.

And check out the alterers rules before going, along with the general rules for alterations, what can and can't pass, and what requires materials.

And if all that fails, you can go play plat. They have a much higher alteration per capita rate, where every character has multiples if they desire.
Re: How to get an alteration? 08/01/2012 11:34 AM CDT
Thanks for great advice, everybody. I think I will plan on attending HE, if only because I've never done it before and I think it's about time. It sounds like a lot of fun.
Re: How to get an alteration? 08/01/2012 11:55 PM CDT
>>Manage your significant other's aggro!!!

^This right here. I suggest chocolate bars, lots of them.

Re: How to get an alteration? 08/02/2012 07:13 AM CDT
>^This right here. I suggest chocolate bars, lots of them.

Or drugs.

Of course if they end up running naked down the highway from 17 cops and an angry raccoon every time you want an alteration, you'll probably not get a lot of them.

Or maybe you will...
Re: How to get an alteration? ::NUDGE:: 08/02/2012 09:23 AM CDT

Ok gang,

Let's focus on the topic of discussion and not the inappropriate tangents.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: How to get an alteration? ::NUDGE:: 08/02/2012 11:08 AM CDT
<<Surprise: This does happen, I've gotten a smattering of things done this way personally. System wide message or gweth will ring out with someone's caravan opening. Dash over and a buddy whispers "JOIN LIST!" and "HURRY!" Before you know it, you're chatting away with such and such who happens to be a master of something or another. You still have to pay the merchant in plats at the end of the session.>>

This is similar to how I got my bow altered. Just suddenly saw a game-wide message saying someone was doing wood alterations in Lang for Rangers, and also for "Rangers". So Ranger Kaxis ran up there and was lucky enough to get on the list. It's not a high percentage option, but it does happen from time to time. Just have to keep an eye open for it.

Kaxis

>You hear a soft, seductive voice whisper, "Kaxis...you shall meet Death here...." The voice quickly fades away.