For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 03:50 PM CDT
I'm very unorigonal when it comes to creating items so I was wondering, for those who like to do these sorts of things, if anyone wants to post taps and looks for a few things in the case I can get them altered. My weapons and armor are as plain as it gets and would like a lil bit of flair.

inv armor
You are wearing some gauntlets, some half plate, a great helm, some plate greaves and a warrior's tower shield.

Im a Female, human, Paladin. All about the smites. Heres the items I'm hoping someone can post their creations if they have time and care to do so.

1.)Warrior's tower shield
2.)Half plate
3.)Bastard sword - I will make this my holy weapon when/if it gets altered if that inspires ideas
4.)cocoon woven from shimmering pearlescent spider web strands (a non-weapon/armor in case I have no luck with others)

Feel free to ask questions or go ahead and run with any ideas you have and post them. If I end up being able to get them done I wouldn't mind tossing coin your way if I use your idea and that interests you.

Thanks!

~Maryhana
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 04:20 PM CDT
You can always alter the armor into some kind of anime bikni motif. You know. Since you're female.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 04:25 PM CDT
Ooh fun.

Any religious/provincial type leanings that are important to the character?

Color schemes?

And if you want... anything else specific to the character that might make the item feel more personal?
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 04:47 PM CDT
Colors and metals your character prefers would be very helpful.

Does your character like religious imagery, or scenery, or heraldry, or would something more abstract be better?

Rev. Reene

SEND[Abasha] I will kill you :D
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 05:23 PM CDT
I don't think I've ever seen a chainmail bikini in DR. What's up with that?

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 05:38 PM CDT
<<I don't think I've ever seen a chainmail bikini in DR. What's up with that?

I vote we get ONE, which then promptly goes to Phii, who must wear it and only it no matter the weather.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 05:38 PM CDT
creepy

Rev. Reene

Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 05:49 PM CDT
Does your character like plain? Martial? Fluffy and froo froo?

Let me present examples, very quick and maybe even exaggerated:

Tap: Some plain plate armor
Look: This armor is without markings or device of any sort, plainly meant for service rather than show.

Tap: Some riveted steel plate armor
Look: Despite the dents and dings from battle, the steel in the armor is still free from rust and as strong as it was the day it was purchased.

Tap: Some feather-adorned plate armor
Look: Even though the armor is plate, feather boas attached to the steel give it a soft, feminine look.

Have fun!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 06:22 PM CDT
Religious based is nice; Rutilor or any holy/combat viewed gods (don't have much knowledge of them honostly)

I can really work around any color scheme. I like darker colors, indigos or deep violets. But shiny plate is also lovely.

I'd prefer martial / combat look. Utility or intimidating for armors and weapons is what i'd enjoy the most. Most of my time playing i'm hunting.

Am good on the plate bikini.. Im assuming that was a joke

~Maryhana
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 06:30 PM CDT
Why would you assume it's a joke. You're a female in a fantasy setting. Everyone knows the less armor you're actually wearing, the higher your AC is.

-Mr. Glemm
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 06:54 PM CDT
<<Why would you assume it's a joke. You're a female in a fantasy setting. Everyone knows the less armor you're actually wearing, the higher your AC is.

And the more suitable it is for every kind of weather or every kind of social event.

- George, Player of Foresee
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 06:55 PM CDT
>>Religious based is nice; Rutilor or any holy/combat viewed gods (don't have much knowledge of them honostly)

Start by reading a book titled The Immortals. For that matter, I make it a point to re-read it before I go on a quest.

Rutilor and Chadatru are generally good for paladins. Then there is Botolf- Not a nice guy at all, but he does fight to win.

Everild is generally viewed as a warrior-god, more often revered by barbarians, rangers, and those who follow a similar philosophy.

If you need a little help still, by all means write my play.net addy! I have a few notions that you might find useful!

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/12/2009 11:19 PM CDT
Would love to do something with Rutilor on my bastard sword. Holy weapon and will be my main combat weapon and all.

If I don't end up getting the sword or shield done I'll try for the plate bikini, more curious to see if that would fly haha

~Maryhana
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 02:19 AM CDT
These are first drafts. They kind of suck a little bit.

some polished silver field plate edged in braided silk
Lengths of white, purple and gold silk twisted into ropes and braided into ornamental loops edge each opening in the armor. Embossed over the right breast, a stylized mongoose rampant over a set of scales highlighted in delicate gold leaf gleams brightly against the silvery plate.

a pristine silver bastard sword with a golden wirework crossguard
Fine golden wire woven into ornate knotwork binds the handguard, framing a small medallion on each side of the blade. Bright, richly detailed enamel depicts a hissing mongoose with brilliant red eyes on one while the crest of the Paladin's Guild adorns the other. Lengths of soft indigo and white silk bind the hilt, terminating at a simple weighted steel pommel.

Rev. Reene

Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 02:38 PM CDT
Here's what I got... lemme know if you have any feedback please, hope they suit what you had in mind. They're different from what I like for Allye/Hanna so they were fun to work on, thanks!

1. WTS
TAP: an imposing lacquered tower shield carved with an exalted depiction of Rutilor
LOOK: Painted with a heavy coat of dark lacquer for protection from the elements, bold engraving unmasks the gleaming steel beneath. An intricately carved scene portrays the valiant Rutilor in battle, his sword raised high as a pack of hounds flank him. The eyes of every hound brim with fearless righteousness as they await his command. Etched elegant script flows along the bottom edge of the shield.
READ: (optional, could just delete the last sentence of the LOOK if you don't have a quote you like)

2. plate
TAP: some dark steel half plate accented with a twisted lattice of radiant gold leaf
LOOK: An ornately embossed lattice of gold leaf meanders along the edges of the armor, gleaming pristinely against the darkened steel. Engraved squarely on the center of the chest, a fierce lion with its features curled into an eternal roar stands over a set of scales that weigh a sword and an olive laurel. (<--- That’s the Paladin Guild crest.)

3. bastard sword
TAP: an etched steel bastard sword bearing a faceted wheel pommel
LOOK: Etched faintly into the base of the blade, an elaborate knotwork pattern surrounds a fierce mongoose standing rampant. His mouth twists into a dangerous snarl, ready to impart vengeance or protection with equal courage. The sturdy steel crossguard is unadorned, transitioning smoothly into the sleek leather-wrapped handle. Carved Paladin Guild crests grace both sides of the round pommel.

4. cocoon
TAP: a deep violet cocoon veiled in lengths of dark spidersilk
LOOK: Tiny crystal sword charms dot the landscape of inky violet silk, held in place by embroidered coils of shimmering silver thread. Layers of sheer black spidersilk overlay and obscure the scintillating backdrop, shifting fluidly with every movement in a manner reminiscent of dark wisps of cloud floating across a starlit night sky.

That's funny that we both used gold leaf and rampant mongooses. I didn't read Caelumia's first, I swear! lol
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 03:51 PM CDT
<<TAP: an imposing lacquered tower shield carved with an exalted depiction of Rutilor

This is something about many DR descriptions that bothers me. It's no fault of yours, of course, but the inability to use commas causes a massive amount of "doubling up" of adjectives when people want uber detailed TAPs.

You probably meant this to read as "a lacquered tower shield which is imposing".

What it actually reads as is "a tower shield that is both imposing AND lacquered".

In the normal world, we would write this as "an imposing, lacquered tower shield". It would required a comma between the words, but in DR we just shoehorn them together.

For readability I think it's usually better to pick only one main adjective to describe your object.

</grammar babble>
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 04:17 PM CDT
>You probably meant this to read as "a lacquered tower shield which is imposing".

>What it actually reads as is "a tower shield that is both imposing AND lacquered".

I do not follow your grammar, if there is any.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 05:11 PM CDT
<<I do not follow your grammar, if there is any.

The description was treating "imposing" as the adjective and "lacquered tower shield" as the noun being described, when in fact "imposing" and "lacquered" are both adjectives.
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 06:10 PM CDT
>What it actually reads as is "a tower shield that is both imposing AND lacquered".

...is just not how you grammatically parse that sentence. Without a comma you read lists of adjectives as hierarchical. I think there is a modest case here that they are even being used correctly as hierarchical adjectives, because a "lacquered imposing tower shield" bristles with the scent of insensibility when you sandwich a subjective term between two objective ones.

Less to the point: you probably should use another word than "imposing" since it's subjective.

Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 06:33 PM CDT
I'm not sure if it applies here (I think it might because of "tower"), but there is definitely a tendency in DR TAPs for people to tack on extra adjectives despite the inability to put in commas... it's in non-altered stuff too though, to be fair. I'll leave the grammar explanations up to you guys, I think.

Imposing is subjective, yeah, but I like it there... lol. If it doesn't fly, she could always use massive or wide. Or just leave it out completely and then everyone would be happy, really. Hmm! :)
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 08:45 PM CDT
Just make it an adverb and problem solved.

Imposingly.
Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 08:46 PM CDT
>Imposingly

That's some imposing lacquer, then.

Re: For those who like altering things! 08/13/2009 10:22 PM CDT
<<These are first drafts. They kind of suck a little bit.

haha this is why I asked here; because all of the ideas seem very nice to me! Will let all know when/if they are done.

~Maryhana