Fire-gilding 08/05/2009 08:15 PM CDT
Question:

Why is fire-gilding and metals derived from it (such as vermeil) banned from use in alterations?

I'm just curious for the reasoning behind the blanket ban.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Abasha] I will kill you :D
Re: Fire-gilding 08/05/2009 10:34 PM CDT
>>Why is fire-gilding and metals derived from it (such as vermeil) banned from use in alterations?

I'd be surprised if this were actually the case. Vermeil, for instance, is just gilt silver, and I know some place (Theren armory maybe?) sells some kind of silver-gilt hauberk.

If it's just the particular term "vermeil", it might be a language issue. A while back I tried to get a "cuir bouilli" item made, and they did alter it the way I wanted, except they had to use "cuirbouilli" instead of the proper spelling because of established precedent within the game. You might want to just say "gilt <whatever>" or "<whatever>-gilt" instead of introducing new loan words into the mix, perhaps?

Just my gut-level guess, there.

Of course if there is an actual ban on fire gilding, maybe the artisans of Elanthia simply prefer to avoid mercury poisoning? heh

The guy behind Ogdaro & Denstimar

Ogdaro screams! You turn in time to watch his body impact one of the streams of terrible light. His flesh is incinerated in front of your eyes, leaving weakened bones which blow away like loose granules of sand. Within seconds nothing remains of Ogdaro, not even ash at your feet.
Grim laughter trails from Ogdaro's lips as he falls into Urrem'tier's embrace.
Re: Fire-gilding 08/05/2009 10:46 PM CDT
>> I'd be surprised if this were actually the case.

It is the case. Just today I had vermeil turned down in an alteration because they "do not do fire-gilding period."

And yes, vermeil does exist in-game. The Leth autohealer wears a vermeil pendant.

Rev. Reene

SEND[Abasha] I will kill you :D