Question 07/27/2005 11:23 PM CDT
Does anyone know if it's likely that Wyrmtongue's stuff (specifically the weapons) are or will be on the infamous do-not-alter list ala Thryntyrlz's bags?

I was kind of wowed at the starting price for consultations (100 plat!) and it made me rather suspicious.

Master Craftsman Thryntyrlz BagMaker steps out from under Caelfind's road-worn traveler's cloak.
Re: Question 07/28/2005 06:58 AM CDT
>Does anyone know if it's likely that Wyrmtongue's stuff (specifically the weapons) are or will be on the infamous do-not-alter list ala Thryntyrlz's bags?

I think the do-not-alter status of the Bagmaker's items is a myth. I've personally had three of Thryntyrlz's bags altered, and none were done by Thryntyrlz himself. One was an LTB, one was a premie alterer and one was a wandering alterer.

Don't know anything about Wyrmtongue though, sorry.

http://www.clawandfang.com
Re: Question 07/29/2005 06:11 PM CDT
Did you have any of the changeable backpacks or pouches done or just the 'normal' unchangeable, unlockable backpacks?

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Question 07/29/2005 07:04 PM CDT
>>Does anyone know if it's likely that Wyrmtongue's stuff (specifically the weapons) are or will be on the infamous do-not-alter list ala Thryntyrlz's bags?

I'm not sure if it's officially on the "do not touch" list, but I tried to use dragonfire amber and dragon's blood crystal in an alteration with the Trader jewelry merchant last week. It may have simply been his roleplay or perhaps they really are on the list, but he refused to work with those particular gems. I ended up getting a voucher from him instead, since I didn't have anything else I wanted altered and preferred to wait until I could use those gems. I was really looking forward to using them, too. :( Perhaps the owner of Wyrmtongue's will allow them in alterations.

~ the player of Gypsy Merchant Nabihle
Re: Question 07/29/2005 08:34 PM CDT
I'd like to hear an answer on this as well, as I was considering using these materials for some alterations I have coming.

~Dulcinia

I can't imagine what more it would take to qualify myself as a hunter when some fat redneck drinking six beers and holding a rifle in the woods gets to have a hunter title, but whatever. --Teeklin
Re: Question 07/29/2005 11:21 PM CDT
>I'd like to hear an answer on this as well, as I was considering using these materials for some alterations I have coming.

I watched Francke use the dragon blood crystal from a hip-chain to make a clasp for a backpack. I don't know about other's that alter items.

Xoichi
Re: Question 07/30/2005 12:43 PM CDT
I heard dragonwood and the like can be used in weddings.

A dark brown Zoluren marnet squeaks with excitement as it pursues a small insect across the surface of the water. A final lunge brings the hapless creature into the marnet's mouth where it is rapidly consumed.
Re: Question 08/07/2005 01:24 PM CDT
This is according to the GM working with us on our wedding. Dragonwood, dragon's blood crystals and dragonfire amber can be used for wedding items as long as the materials are provided.
Question About Alterations 08/29/2005 03:01 PM CDT
Hi there, Galren here. Longtime DR player, first time alteration... uh... winner?

Anyways, I've got this battered and practically destroyed pirate bow... now out of curiosity... could the bow itself be altered and if so would it be repaired or just magically changed into a Crossing longbow?

Any help for this alteration novice is appreciated.

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Re: Question About Alterations 08/29/2005 03:11 PM CDT
If you make sure to tell them what it is, there should be no (significant) danger of it being switched.

And no, an alterer can only change an item's look. A special 'alterer' comes around to fix it.

So I asked this God a question
and by way of firm reply,
He said: "I'm not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays".
Re: Question About Alterations 08/29/2005 06:57 PM CDT
Galren, the person you want to keep an eye out for is Craftsman Daewek. He only repairs wooden weapons, and will not alter the appearance of the item. When he was last available his fee was 10% of the appraisal of the weapon, or a minimum of 5 gold. He appeared in the Seacaves to do work for Premium members, so if you're not premie you'll have to either have a premie get it done for you next time he has a session, or hope to catch him when he's outside of the Seacaves. I can't imagine they would restrict a service like that to premies only, so he's bound to pop up elsewhere eventually.

There have been other people in the past who did repair work, but Daewek is the only one I know of who is still in business.
Re: Question About Alterations 08/29/2005 09:09 PM CDT
<<I can't imagine they would restrict a service like that to premies only, so he's bound to pop up elsewhere eventually.>>

I caught him in Lang not too long ago, he fixed an old capped ebony longbow for me.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"Is glas iad na cnoic i bhfad uainn."
-Distant hills look green.
Re: Question About Alterations 08/29/2005 10:34 PM CDT
Thank you very much for the info.

-G, player thereof

---
Messenger Boy: The Thessalonian you're fighting, he's the biggest man I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
Achilles: That is why no one will remember your name.
Question 09/05/2009 08:14 PM CDT
I realize, generally, that alterers will not alter the actual properties of an item beyond aesthetic changes.

However, let's say I have a very nice unique set of juggling items. And let's say I've outgrown them.

Would it ever be possible to convince an alterer to just changing the weight of the item, so long as it does not bypass the storebought cap (50 stones iirc)?

Rev. Reene

You also see a broad-capped glass toadstool with white spots labeled "1UP".
Re: Question 09/05/2009 08:36 PM CDT
Alternately, could they alter the heavier juggling items?

I got a set altered in TF, and it might be my favorite alteration ever.
Re: Question 09/05/2009 08:40 PM CDT
I would try for the player-supplied item route. If you can supply an item that is obviously larger and therefore heavier they might accept the sacrifice and change your item.

Might still get rejected, but it's a better tack than asking for a simple stat change that you already know the GMs will say no to.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Question 09/06/2009 02:19 AM CDT
You know, I have to wonder slightly about this too..

I have a 56 point altered bloodwood longbow -- when I got it and had it altered, 56 points was the cap on longbows. Now they've added mistwood/copperwood/silverwood and upped it to 60 points. Would be pretty cool if I could get the 4 points added back to my bow, since it was capped when I bought it & had it altered.

No, points don't make as much difference to a cleric as a ranger, but if I were ever to put it up for sale or something, those 4 points are gonna cut the value down A LOT. Also.. good cure for fits of OCD :)

Segmere
Shadow Priest, Baron's Own Militia

"The best cure for insomnia is to get a lot of sleep." ~WC Fields
Re: Question 09/06/2009 02:41 AM CDT
<<However, let's say I have a very nice unique set of juggling items. And let's say I've outgrown them.
<<Would it ever be possible to convince an alterer to just changing the weight of the item, so long as it does not bypass the storebought cap (50 stones iirc)?

While I'm sure it's possible that an alterer will someday do this, It would probably also be exceptionally rare.

Are they altered jugglies, or just something unique that you've acquired? You'd probably have better luck getting a heavier set of juggling items and having them altered to look just like the old ones.

As far as I know there is no rule against identical alterations, and I've had it done before.

~ Vien De'Lionne

"Ridicule may lawfully be employed where reason has no hope of success."
Re: Question 09/06/2009 02:49 AM CDT
>> Are they altered jugglies, or just something unique that you've acquired?

They were a unique acquisition. Also an auction item, IIRC.

>tap gahar
You tap a set of jeweled gaharzen that you are holding.
>l gahar
Undulating ribbons of color appear to dance within the core of each orb, each protected by a translucent shell of sapphire, ruby, and obsidian shaped to resemble individual slivers.

These ones are 30 stones I believe. I'd like a heavier set, someday.

Rev. Reene

You also see a broad-capped glass toadstool with white spots labeled "1UP".
Re: Question 09/10/2009 03:46 PM CDT
Maybe if you were willing to give up the item plus a heavier set to combine for the alteration?

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."