Scouting Experience for trail running 12/14/2009 09:40 PM CST
Now, I understand that HUNT is, as of now, the optimal way of training scouting.

However, the question has come up SEVERAL times on the boards recently, about long trails, short trails, and what's in between.

So, I'm doing a little test.

I will be running the trail outside the NE gate of crossings, the one that runs to the ferry to haven. After allowing that experience to pulse down, I will be running back to crossings. Again, letting the experience pulse down, I will run from crossings to kaerna.

Each run along the trail will be timed with a stopwatch (down to the tenth of a second.) Each run will be performed under the exact same conditions (i.e. burden, wounds, [no] buffs, etc.)

To begin this experiment, I post my starting scouting experience.

Scouting: 158 99.08% clear (0/34)

Upon hitting 'go trailmarker', the time until reaching 'As the journey ends, yadayadayada' was 50.1 seconds, and total experience gain at trail's-end is

Scouting: 158 99.39% dabbling (1/34).

After pulsing, experience was

Scouting: 159 01.40% clear (0/34).

The crossing to Ferry trail is what I would consider a 'long' trail.

Arriving in crossing (having walked back.) my total scouting experience remains

Scouting: 159 01.40% clear (0/34)

Departing Crossings and arriving at Kaerna took 10.6 seconds. Arrival experience was

Scouting: 159 02.92% dabbling (1/34)

After pulsing my experience looked like this:

Scouting: 159 04.46% clear (0/34)

So, in 50.1 seconds of trail running (after pulsing) I gained just over 2% of a rank of scouting.

In 10.6 seconds of trail running (after pulsing) I gained just UNDER 2% of a total rank of scouting.

The disparity in time allows for FIVE trails to be run along the crossing/kaerna trail in the time it takes to run the trail to haven once...If the numbers remain the same, overall gain from the crossing/kaerna trail (in the same time period) would be just under 8% of a total rank of scouting.

Taken as a 'what single trail teaches the most experience' question, the LONGER trails will teach more. Taken as a 'whats the quickest way to learn scouting via trails' question, the shorter trails will teach more in the same allotted time.

Just my two cents. Remember, your results may differ from mine, based on your mental stats and current ranks in scouting. But I think it's a good baseline for someone with significantly more scouting than me to run THEIR numbers, and see if their results concur with my own.

No Ranger Stands Alone.

MM2/SS, USN
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 04:37 PM CST
with almost 400 scouting I wish that was the case. It take me 45+ mins to really get it moving at all on a trail while that doesn't sound bad, but I have to forget learning anything else while doing scouting. However I can get scouting to 16/34 in about 25-30 mins in a hunting area just hunting every 77 seconds without hunting them down so I'm sure could push it to even higher mindstates if I "hunted" the down.
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 05:20 PM CST
cant use hunt in areas with water, such as the zaulfang
~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 05:59 PM CST
>cant use hunt in areas with water, such as the zaulfang

Really wish that this could be changed. Along with climbs.

Being able to hunt in these conditions would actually make having high survivals in this area useful.

aka, you can only use hunt around if all the climbs in range are trivial for you.

-pete
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 08:12 PM CST
>aka, you can only use hunt around if all the climbs in range are trivial for you.

It would be cool. The way it's coded, it would be a resource hog if that were allowed. I propose instituting a minimum scouting/swimming/climbing requirement by hunting area instead.
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 08:18 PM CST
>I propose instituting a minimum scouting/swimming/climbing requirement by hunting area instead.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Use the hardest barrier in the area and if you have more than needed for that you can hunt.

-pete
Re: Scouting Experience for trail running 12/15/2009 08:36 PM CST
>Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Use the hardest barrier in the area and if you have more than needed for that you can hunt.

Re-reading that, I see that you basically said exactly what I did. I guess I agree?