bottom 4? 07/18/2008 01:38 PM CDT
in light of recent complaints and the pending req changes, i'm curious to see what others have for their bottom 4 survivals: meaning the ones that will not count for anything but TDPs. post spreads or differences from 10th or whatever if you'd like.

mine are (in order):

climbing
disarm
escaping
lockpicking
Re: bottom 4? 07/18/2008 01:47 PM CDT
92nd circle ranger (with highest skills in the 500s):

120s Escaping
160s Locks
180s Disarm
254 Stealing (I think this will end up passing climb, not far to go. Then it's quite a big jump to forage).

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
You manage to collect a pile of cebi roots.
Roundtime: 102 sec.
Re: bottom 4? 07/18/2008 07:58 PM CDT
Lockpicking
Disarm
Stealing
Escaping
Re: bottom 4? 07/18/2008 07:58 PM CDT
79th ranger with most survivals in the mid 300's or higher, minus FA (10th 229)

11. locks 216
12. disarm 205
13. steal 121
14. escape 87
Re: bottom 4? 07/18/2008 10:57 PM CDT
circle 57 with low to mid 200s in everything else

11. disarm 159
12. lockpicking 143
13. escaping 135
14. stealing 20 (go ahead...laugh.)

~Artilius
Re: bottom 4? 07/18/2008 11:58 PM CDT
Anyone seeing a theme? =)

Fun times!
collect ceb root
>
You manage to collect a pile of cebi roots.
Roundtime: 102 sec.
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 05:50 AM CDT
Yeah, noticed that when I pulled him up to look at his skills based on your post and the next. Haven't played him in almost 2 years and he's been around since '96 so he's an "old" ranger. 11th and 12th weren't far behind 10th. Stealing and escaping lagged way behind.

On the other hand, a new one I started up a few months ago stays pretty much even in all 14 with escaping one of his higher skills.
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 07:04 AM CDT
Disarm Traps
Lockpicking
Stealing
Escaping

>Anyone seeing a theme?

I'm not at all surprised that the 4 "hardest to learn" survivals are at the bottom of most people's lists. Stealing is slowly but surely making it's way up my list. Since the changes, this is a great skill to learn. Even with a locks/disarm rewrite, you'll still be limited to actually finding the boxes, so I expect that for 90% of rangers. If I spent 1/2 the time on stealing that I do on disarm, it would be in my top 6. Escaping is another one of those skills that's just a pain to learn. Either you camp karts for years or you try to use flee, and I swear I tried, but I can't get that to teach well at all.

I think the GMs understand the limitations of learning these skills. I think critter stealing and the justice re-write, as well as locks2.0(and box drop re-evaluation) will go a long way to making those 3 skills quite viable. A better way to train escaping for everyone, with some cool ranger perks, would fix that skill also.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 11:33 AM CDT
Disarm
Lockpicks
Stealing
Escaping

Arctuniol

Knowledge is like manure, it's only good when spread.
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 11:58 AM CDT
Flee exp would be fine if the timer was shorter and non-random. As it is, you can keep it moving pretty well at first, but it is impossible to keep at level. I believe I gave up somewhere around 280 escaping (although I did train it to 400 via classes). And once it drops too far behind, there is an illogical exp penalty (skinning model illogical, IMO) which just puts the final nail in the coffin. Plus, you get no exp dodging web attempts, which leads to you intentionally penalizing your evasion at some point. Again, skinning model illogical.

Boxes are just too much trouble and not enough reward all around. Plus rangers need to focus on skinning, and there isn't a solid progression of creatures that are skinnable and have boxes. Hopefully the skinning rewrite helps make more creatures skinnable.

I do think the new reqs are going to make rangers much more cookie-cutter, but I do understand why it was done.
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 12:16 PM CDT
I forgot to mention, my ranger's lowest survival skills (lowest first):

Lockpicking
Stealing
Escaping
Disarm Traps (higher because I listened to a lot of classes)
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 03:25 PM CDT
Hahaha. Here's my bottom 4:

Stealing 4 81%
Lockpicking 27 56%
Disarm 35 06%
Escaping 224 91%

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: bottom 4? 07/19/2008 09:49 PM CDT
heh i'm really not surprised. my lowest 4 were the same as everyone's until new stealing came out...now my stealing is set to pass (gasp) evasion soon and be my 4th survival. it's an addiction :(
Re: bottom 4? 07/21/2008 02:08 AM CDT
>Anyone seeing a theme? =)

my stealin is so pathetic simply cause i dont like stealing. though with the new slips comin out, i keep tellin myself i need to work stealing to make them more useful, just havent gotten round to it yet (im so lazy...).

locks and disarm, i did train extensively for some time. i dont mind the risk vs. reward of it all, though i do agree its out of whack. i just want to have skill in it. but after i moved out of snow goblins, and into reaver unyn, its fallen behind. i do occasioannly go back into snow gobs to collect boxes. i just train lower weapons while doing so.

escaping is on the bottom end because, well, we all know its difficulties in training it. but i hunt unyns for a couple reasons. and one is specifically for escaping training. even as survival prime i can lock it in there.

i fully plan on having escaping in my top 10 though when i can work it up that high. and i certainly wont let my locks and disarm be too far behind either, even if they arent in top 10 (especially now that locks is bout done bein rewritten completely). i suppose im just a glutton for punishment.

i suppose out of all 4 of them, stealing is the most useful, yet it is my lowest skill by far. just bout any noob could steal better then me. :(

anyway, i dont really know what im tryin to say here. kinda lost my train of thought half way though the post. lol. thats what i get for posting while intoxicated...again.

~Artilius
Re: bottom 4? 07/21/2008 08:23 AM CDT
Bottom 4 in order

Disarm Traps
Lockpicking
Escaping
Stealing

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
You say, "I thought Banshee's scream"
The toy Banshee says, "Have you ever been a Banshee? Our voices get sore"
You say, "No, but I married one once"
Re: bottom 4? 07/22/2008 02:05 PM CDT
Top 5 Survivals range from 650's - 700's.
Middle 5 range from mid 200's - 400's
Lowest 4:
Disarm Traps: 127 45%
Escaping: 110 24%
Lockpicking: 110 06%
Stealing: 56 10%

Skill Differ: http://xamlcoder.com/dr/skilldiff.aspx
Re: bottom 4? 07/22/2008 02:38 PM CDT
Nope, no cookie cutters here!

Props to Jalika, though.

~Thilan
Re: bottom 4? 07/22/2008 04:36 PM CDT
Lowest to highest:

Stealing: 16
Escaping: 31
Swimming: 93
Lockpicking: 107
Disarm Traps: 123

I know swimming isn't what we're looking at, but put it in there in order for some laughs.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"

"Why don't you roleplay a character who is NOT retarded? ~Maje
Re: bottom 4? 07/25/2008 11:27 PM CDT
Low to high, bottom 4:

Stealing <100
Scouting >200
Swimming >200
Escaping >200

Theme, what theme?

Top 4, high to low

Evasion
Climbing - this only 'cause I got tired of the gondola
Hiding
Skinning

Re: bottom 4? 08/02/2008 12:43 AM CDT
My lowest 4 survivals are (Low to high)

escape
stealing
disarm
lockpicking

I definetly see a trend here, I can also say I am not surprised either.

Miv

Re: bottom 4? 08/04/2008 12:20 PM CDT
Lowest 4, lowest to highest...

Escaping
Lock
Forage
Disarm (FA is close after this though)

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: bottom 4? 09/23/2008 09:21 PM CDT
Ditto on Escape, Locks, Disarm, Steal. So maybe we're all the same now, just it's going to be made official soon?