WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/20/2008 01:28 PM CST
Thanks to the new concentration calcs.....
effective discconcmana WOTP

Recasting several time at 10 and 15 mana showed a variance of about 3 discipline points. I don't know what that depends on.

Someone that can cap WOTP care to post a progression like this? I wonder if more PM will allow you to more consistently get a boost at x mana?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/20/2008 03:17 PM CST
I've noticed that same problem casting first cast got my concentration to 328 next class 316 then 307 and it randomly jumped around, at times casting lower i got a higher boost.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/20/2008 04:34 PM CST
I thought WotP drew from other people around you?
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/20/2008 07:38 PM CST
>I thought WotP drew from other people around you?

I did my first test on the road so people were moving through. I ran to the middle of nowhere to do it again, casting repeatedly at 35 mana...
boost

My thought would be that as I gain more PM the fluctuations would stabilize, is that the case?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/21/2008 12:45 AM CST
<<My thought would be that as I gain more PM the fluctuations would stabilize, is that the case?

Ssra has been talking a lot in a different folder about random rolls when casting. So, you might be getting that which looks like +/- 3 pts.

Gimlias Minas-Tirith
Box Seller
The Dragon's Egg
http://www.thedragonsegg.net

"I won't learn anything - even if I arrange and try to skin it with a trader's caravan"

"Why don't you roleplay a character who is NOT retarded? ~Maje
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/21/2008 11:27 AM CST
Makes me wonder if random boosts is also true for Senses of the Tiger (a spell wherein you cannot simply keep casting until you get the boost you want because it does not stack or replace).

What about Bear Strength and Cheetah Swiftness?

I am avoiding doing anything to mess up my concentration until the bugs are fixed, so someone else will have to test.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/21/2008 03:33 PM CST
<I thought WotP drew from other people around you?>

Is this true, that the discipline boost gains partly from being a pact - those around you or those in a group with you?
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 08:23 AM CST
My understanding now (I never heard of this before) is that it is just random and always will be.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 10:36 AM CST
I added the below section of code to the end of my WOTP casting script. As my script always casts at my current no-leak cap (36 mana) that part is consistent. The boost however is not. I've seen from 5 to 15 point boosts at that mana level. Most casts give me 9 to 11, but there really seems to be no rhyme or reason to the level of boost I get. At least I can recast it to get a higher one when I hit the 5 point level. This makes me wish I had a way to test SOTT as easily, and recast it too without waiting for it to drop.

put focus
waitfor Max:
getwordfrom "Max:" 2
setvariable max %w
getinfo intelligence
setvariable temp %result
calculate temp mul 15
calculate temp div 10
calculate max sub %temp
getinfo stamina
calculate max sub %result
calculate max div 3
setvariable boost %max
getinfo discipline
calculate boost sub %result
printbox 265 "Effective discipline is $max$\nThat's a %boost point boost."
exit

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 10:54 AM CST
The boost's range is 10 stat points? That's insane.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 12:29 PM CST
>>The boost's range is 10 stat points? That's insane.

Ssra apparently thinks it makes sense.

I do not know who all agrees with him. I usually like the guy's work, but I have to say I find this entire situation ridiculous. I do not know any other games wherein personal buffs give a random boost.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 01:37 PM CST
<<Ssra apparently thinks it makes sense.>>

Do what?

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 01:47 PM CST
>>Do what?

Could have sworn it was you in another folder mentioning that random boosts are a good thing and arguing against the concept of excessive skill meaning they should always be maximized.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 01:52 PM CST
<<Could have sworn it was you in another folder mentioning that random boosts are a good thing and arguing against the concept of excessive skill meaning they should always be maximized.>>

Yes, but I don't recall assigning a value to anything? What is this thread about? The variance provided by WOTP?

-Ssra

"Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind."
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 09:07 PM CST
<<My thought would be that as I gain more PM the fluctuations would stabilize, is that the case?>>

How swiftly after you cast do you check? Casting spells can drop concentration as well. So if you're checking right away, depending on the timing of the pulses, you may be seeing something lower do to a casting drain, before it fills back up to the new, and theoretically higher max concentration pool. Just a guess.

My max gain from WOTP so far was like 42 points of concentration. Which is probably about a 14 point boost.

~Van
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/22/2008 09:23 PM CST
Mines 42 and that isn't a max cast, but like stated before there is some randomness to it.

"So like I said, don't take it personally. All cultures have their share of fools. It's just that we always felt yours had a lot more than ours."
~~Warrior Mage Guild Leader Senfrislor, The Prydaen in Their Own Words~~
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 01:32 AM CST
The max Boost for Wotp is 18 Disc.

Falker
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 01:36 AM CST
>>The max Boost for Wotp is 18 Disc.

I thought it was 15 for that spell.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 02:52 AM CST
I'm only getting 14 so far, according to my calculations. Which of course may be off. But then, I don't think I can quite get 60 mana into the spell yet either.

~Van
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 02:58 AM CST
>>I'm only getting 14 so far, according to my calculations. Which of course may be off. But then, I don't think I can quite get 60 mana into the spell yet either.

Cap on WOTP is 50.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 03:08 AM CST
<<Cap on WOTP is 50>>

Ah, thanks. Wasn't quite sure. If this is the case then, I'm only raising my concentration by 42, which should equate to a 14 point rise. Unless something else is going on that I'm missing.

~Van
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 12:52 PM CST
>Yes, but I don't recall assigning a value to anything? What is this thread about? The variance provided by WOTP?

Yes, according to someone who tested, the variance was +/- 5 discipline at the spell cap. That seems excessive to me, but I didn't personally test it either.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 08:58 PM CST
Just for kicks, I did a little testing of my own. With a base Discipline of 85 and concentration of 395, here are my average results while casting at the following mana levels. 812 PM/Harness, for reference.

I saw very little variance within the given mana ranges, less than 10% of the casts gave me a different boost than those listed.

Mana Used**Disc Boost
0-
8-105
11-146
15-177
18-218
22-249
25-2710
28-3111
32-3412
35-3813
39-4114
42-4415
45-4916

Maybe I need more PM or base Discipline, but I didn't see and 18 point boost once. Oh well. At least this got me to update my script to buff myself higher. :P

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/23/2008 09:34 PM CST
Remembering that I had another baby Ranger to play with, I repeated the same test with him, although I only casted at or around the levels that the boost changed with Vision. Here are the numbers:

Base discipline: 35
Base concentration: 187
351 PM/344 Harness

Mana Used**Disc Boost
0-
32-34*11

*I started leaking at 34 mana, and consistently backfired at 35.

Conclusions? The boost seems to be pretty much the same as the higher character's, up to around the point where I started having trouble casting. The final bracket (32-34 mana) produced a boost 1 higher in the higher character, although whether this is due to the lack of magic skills or the global percentage cap (11 points is just over 31% of my base discipline, while 12 points would be just over 34%... maybe a 33% overall cap?) I really couldn't say without more data, and I've run out of Ranger characters with WOTP. Haha.

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/24/2008 01:04 AM CST
There is a global cap % for boosting a stat based off the your total amount in that stat. 33% = 1/3 which I think could very well be the cap %.

Falker
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/24/2008 07:27 AM CST
Vision gave me numbers. I'm so happy. You mind if I update the wiki with that info?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/24/2008 07:51 AM CST
>There is a global cap % for boosting a stat based off the your total amount in that stat. 33% = 1/3 which I think could very well be the cap %.

Yup that's what I was alluding to in my post- although confirming 33%(1/3) as the cap will take more data points than I can offer.

>Vision gave me numbers. I'm so happy. You mind if I update the wiki with that info?

Please do!

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: WOTP = Discipline boost confirmed 01/26/2008 06:16 PM CST
>>I've run out of Ranger characters with WOTP

Want me to run a test? I've got almost 830 PM, and 57 discipline along with a ton of TDP's that I plan on dumping into mentals very soon. Let me know what you want me to do and what skills/stats you need from me.

Ackolone

>I've seen knights in armor panic at the first hint of battle. And I've seen the lowliest, unarmed squire pull a spear from his own body, to defend a dying horse. Nobility is not a birthright. It's defined by one's actions.