Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 11:04 AM CST
I slaughtered a bunch of La'tami for their hides. I got the suffused with pride message when I arranged and skinned them. I'm sure most of the older ranger know this but it seems the perfectly arranged skin is still a range.

I appraised each hide and I get exact values between 550-800 dokoras. Now that's not what got my gears going but rather the fact half the time I got a message about the hide being incredibly pliant and the rest of the skins were extremely soft, moderately soft and one was quite supple. This leads me to think that you might be able to get slightly different product values with the various skins. Maybe the less pliant skins make slightly harder armor that's more hindering. If not, maybe this will be added during the new tanning process.

I'm new to this so I'm sure a lot of what I'm finding out has already been discussed but I'm having fun=)

Calissa's player
Re: Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 11:24 AM CST
just count the hides. if its 100 parts then its perfect. price and all that other stuff has zero bearing on the current system.

The Assassin in Plat

Those who live by the blade die by those who don't
Re: Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 11:42 AM CST
>Maybe the less pliant skins make slightly harder armor that's more hindering.

I've actually posted a bit about this previously on the tanning boards, and I think Hanryu or Vision or some other tanner has copied most of it to his/her web site. In short, there are three basic attributes for each hide: how tough/strong it is, how flexible/rigid it is, and how thick it is. Plus there is the overall quality at which you managed to remove it from the critter. All of those play a role in the armor you craft.

Will those change in tanning 2? Possibly to some extent, but who knows when t2 will be ready/done/started.

-T
Re: Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 11:44 AM CST
I did count them and they were the perfect skins I was just hoping...

Calissa's player
Re: Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 01:48 PM CST
>Now that's not what got my gears going but rather the fact half the time I got a message about the hide being incredibly pliant and the rest of the skins were extremely soft, moderately soft and one was quite supple.

How much appraisal do you have? As far as I know all 100 count hides are created equal as far as tanning goes (yes the app price changes, but not of the final product).

~Ranger Hanryu, Sword of House Calibanor
>Scripting is not against policy. Bad scripts make baby Everild cry. ~ Ssra
Re: Tanning thoughts... 01/26/2007 01:55 PM CST
My appraisal is about 140. So that may be part of it. I'm tanning the hides now and if you'd like to have a look just let me know and I'll run down and slaughter some more La'tami. Right now though, I'm gonna kill leucros and see what I find.

Calissa's player