Finally! 10/22/2011 08:37 AM CDT
Hi everyone. I've amassed quite a few questions since I started playing a few weeks ago. I didn't have the ability to post messages until today though. Of course some of my questions answered themselves over the course of the past 24 days, so hopefully the questions I have left aren't too annoying.

Question 1:
While I've made great progress so far (14th circle all ready), I've reached an almost stand still with my evasion/combat. I'm currently hunting in grass eels to get the Multi (it's working well), and while I can handle 3 eels with ease, the fourth can beat me up a bit. I know this has to be a multi issue, so I'm staying put for the time being. My Evasion will move a little there, but it's starting to slow down. My basic question is: What should I be hunting right now?

Here are my combats:
Evasion: 58
Multi: 53
Parry: 46 (sheesh, I gotta work on that)
Heavy Edged: 54
Shield: 21 (Tryin' to bring this up too)
Leather: 49

I spent a lot of time with trollkins, but they've stopped teaching me anything, so I only use them for boxes. I tried water sprites and lipopods, but there's not much going on down there. I tried FINDING wood trolls, gidiis, and field goblins south of there, but it was a ghost town. I even went farther down to Leth to try to find the dryads and nyads, but I couldn't get into the area they were supposed to be in. I tried a fanrae reaver, and could take him down as long as nothing else came into the room. Same with the wind hounds. So do I hang out in eels til I can take on more than one reaver or hound? Also, how does Multi work anyway?
I hunted a few cougars/jackals/bobcats, and had some success, though my multi was lower at the time, so I may have to try them again now that I've worked more on that skill.

Question 2:
I've been playing with my stats a little. I'm trying to keep them relatively balanced, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way. I'm not entirely certain how the mental stats work with each other. Now that I'm over 10th circle, I try not to spend my tdps right away. I tend to train up every other circle to have a few more to work with. Any advice on any of the stats and how to raise them (and why) would be helpful.

My stats:
Strength : 17
Reflex : 16
Agility : 16
Charisma : 13
Discipline : 14
Wisdom : 15
Intelligence : 14
Stamina : 17

I actually had a goal to try to keep strength and stamina equal (or near it) with reflex and agility, but I was having some light encumberance issues. Also, when will the rt for my longsword go down? I keep hearing that that can be trained down. I'm still averaging around 6 sec. for a swing (apart from feinting).

Question 3:
I've been completely at a loss when it comes to spells, so I looked up some info on elanthipedia and decided to get all the 1st tier spells first. I only have three and only use SOP so far. I know that spells are definitly a personal choice depending on the type of Ranger I want to be, but I'd like some input on what others have chosen and why.

I have:
SOP
HOL
EM

I'm going to knock out the other three and then decide which path to take. As I mentioned, I've only used SOP regularly. I'm going to still get the other three, but how much use do you all get out of EC, Compost, and STW? Beyond those, some of the spells sound fairly nifty, it's just a question of which one I want first.

Question 4:
So, early on I had grand plans to work ALL of my survivals ALL the time. I'm actually doing okay with that. Except for one: Escaping. I played in the mud near the volcano and near the deadfall, but my eyes start to cross in how boring/time consuming it is with very little gain. Any advice of any kind with escaping would be helpful.

Question 5:
Perception. Good lord. Somehow this ended up being one of my top two skills. I find that when I go to check what I need to circle, this is always the one I need. I haven't figured out how to actively train it. I know I'm getting a lot from HUNTing, foraging, and popping some boxes, but I'd like to find a way to train it by itself. I heard about juggling, then I heard that juggling doesn't teach well, or it used to teach, now it doesn't... or something like that. I'm not averse to traveling anywhere to get it either. I'm actually planning a trip to Aesry one of these days to get the climbing I've heard about.

Question 6:
Okay, this isn't a Ranger question really. I have a lockpick fetish. It doesn't matter what kind. If a goblin drops one, I'm all over it. My question is: I've heard of lockpick cases, but I've yet to find one. Where are they? My pants and boots (and at least one pouch) are full of them.

I think that's it for the moment.
Thanks in advance for any advice given,
Sojourner Sortenin Serendipitous

P.S. as a complete aside, I started reading the boards when I first joined DragonRealms and there was a thread going about top ten skills. So here are mine, though a few weeks late.

Circle 14:

Evasion
Perception
Scouting
Skinning
Foraging
Hiding
Stalking
Swimming
Lockpicking
Disarm

First Aid
Climbing

Like I mentioned before, Evasion and Perception are so close they trade places from day to day.
Re: Finally! 10/22/2011 09:38 AM CDT
Good to have you here.

1) For what it's worth, I went: Rats -> Goblins -> Eels -> Bone Wolves -> Blood Wolves -> Sprites -> Silver Leucro -> Snoblins

2) Conventional wisdom says get everything to 30 or 40 before you worry about. I tended to get my strength up so I could carry lots of boxes and bundles, my reflex so I didn't get hit as much, agility for bows as my group 1, then mentals as my group 2 (except charisma get enough to get a wolf and then stop for a bit). Once you get to 30, you'll have a better idea. But every stat should get there.

3) SOP is the first pick. Always should be. Use it all the time. Also get EASE (I think you get it automatically). You have BOLT for TM, I'd wait on EC/DEVI. EM is good for training, as is STW. Pick SOTT, it's a good booster at lower circles. I'd then recommend SPC or CAIS just for the boost to survivals (keeping in mind that with the merge of skills one will be useles). I'd just get the one you train the most (climbing or swimming). After that it really becomes more personal, but I went down the disabler route so you'll want compost and then work towards HB and BB. We have a few other good spells, but by the time you can really cast them you know what to pick. I'd say WS is kind of a waste at lower levels because you'll learn best with collecting rocks.

4) Escaping is going away soon with skill merge in DR3.0 stuff. If you want to train it, I'd say classes are good. And try using the FLEE verb when in combat. I think at your circle it will teach well. It wasn't around when I was your circle, so I don't know.

5) Training things by themselves is a horrible waste of time. HUNT & COLLECT <rock> are your friends as a Ranger. Be glad you live in a time when you can train foraging and perception, and scouting/stalking/perception at the same time. It is the golden age as far Rangers go (a bit of sarcasm).

6) You'll grow out of it. Save up your plats, buy a lockpick ring and wear it on your belt. In fact, I think you could do this now... maybe you should develop a fetish for ONE kind of lockpicks (I suggest stout picks at your circle) and only drool over those. Get a lockpick ring and fill it with those.

Always nice to have a new face. Feel free to stop Diggan anytime if you see him. Or.. come out to Aesry for vacation!

Safe Paths

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Finally! 10/22/2011 10:00 AM CDT
Thanks for the response(s) to my questions.

How many lockpicks does a lockpick ring hold? I've seen a few people with them and thought they were worn on the finger! (my newbie is showing!) Also, where do I find one? Also, I had quite a bit of luck when I started opening boxes, so coin is not too much of an issue right now.

(let's just say... one lotto box and two realllllly nice pearls. That and I don't really spend any money on anything except essentials, so I have a nice nest egg.)

Thank goodness about Escaping, now I don't feel that badly about ignoring it.

I'll probably head out to Aesry within the next week or so. I was going to hang out until I could get a Raccoon, but between companions being 'different' soon, and my hiding being a mite too low, I'm going to put that on the back burner for the moment.

Thanks again for the advice,
Re: Finally! 10/22/2011 05:24 PM CDT
First of all, great to see a new face. :)

Diggan got most of your questions but I just have a few things to add:

1) I personally went from eels to beisswurms to blood wolves (I think). I would seriously recommend staying on the mainland and milking beisswurms/bone wolves for all they've got so that you can then do blood wolves on Aesry. It may feel like a bit of a let down if you go too early and find you can't hunt anything there. Unless you just want a non-combat vacation. :)

2) Agree with Diggan, but want to point out that as a Ranger, probably Agility/Reflex should be in your top tier, and Charisma in your bottom tier. Strength also helps with Climbing/Swimming/Shield, and Discipline helps with stealths.

4) I was able to train Escaping with FLEE in combat, but trust me, you can ignore it completely. It does almost nothing currently and as Diggan mentioned will be going away.

5) Echoing Diggan... train many things at once! That is probably the biggest lesson you will learn with regard to advancing quickly. Granted, you don't have to advance quickly if you don't want to, but if you do want to, that's how to do it. Don't worry so much about training a single skill to mind lock -- as long as you have multiple going you are doing great.

>>I was going to hang out until I could get a Raccoon, but between companions being 'different' soon

Oh dear. You need to learn about the "s"-word. "Soon" can mean anything from a few months to a few years to never. Mostly because we have volunteer staff who lead busy lives and sometimes have to leave before finishing a project. In the case of companions, I would definitely play as you want to now. Don't worry about development; when it arrives you can deal with it then.

Good luck and have fun!

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Finally! 10/22/2011 10:07 PM CDT

>>Unless you just want a non-combat vacation. :)

I want to point out that the invitation to Aesry was not one of come out here and train! But more, of if you get the young Ranger's exploring bug, come out and I'll hang out with ya and get ya some gear if ya need some.

Beisswurms are a good suggestion. I think you can take sprites after bloodwolves pretty easily.

Also, the agility/reflex suggestion is good too. I just think that while you are under 30 in all stats it shouldn't really matter. I tended to move things up in increments of 3 until 30. Charisma is important just to get the wolf...

Happy hunting!

Player of Diggan, Ranger & Halfing of Aesry
Re: Finally! 10/23/2011 10:09 AM CDT
Thanks for the advice and the invite! I'll be keeping it all in mind.

Re: Finally! 10/24/2011 11:32 AM CDT
Any and all questions you may have, you can direct to my AIM account, RangerRantjur. I'll be happy to assist in any way I can.

No Ranger Stands Alone.
Re: Finally! 10/29/2011 11:27 PM CDT
Welcome to the guild! All of the above is great advice, but I too, have a suggestion. Don't wait on the companion. I would go for the raccoon, just because they add something different to the game experience. If you read the article on companions in Elanthipedia and follow it, you should do alright. Bear in mind that right now, companions are incredibly easy to lose. So if you do lose yours, don't feel too bad. Also, don't listen to those who see my post and tell you not to listen to me as I'm well known as a companion killer. I love companions and like having them around.

Also, if you are going for HB and BB, please work your magic well. Branch Break especially was hard to cast consistantly when I first got it.

As for stats...spend your tdps. Use them to get your stats within 1 or 2 points of each other. I don't think charisma is that much use except for getting companions. I try to keep my strength/stamina and agility/reflex the same. Discipline is good because it factors in a lot of things (don't ask, I have no idea).

I love that you explore. More rangers should explore the realms. But then dying is my best skill and it got that way, exploring. But it was sure fun!

Above all, train the way you want to train. The best thing about being a ranger is its diversity (though that is less now, than it used to be). We some rangers whose top skill is stealing, some that don't like to hunt and make the best tea in the world, and some that love to teach rather than train. So train the way you want. And remember No ranger stands alone (I would read the book on that in the Crossing guild).

Safe paths---but safe paths are boring!

Zinaca and her young raccoon, Shadow (still alive thank you!)
Re: Finally! 11/05/2011 11:36 AM CDT
One of the things I've found helpful with my need to collect things, especially lockpicks, is to lockpick boxes blind. You'll be breaking, bending, and snapping lockpicks in no time quick. It's also a great way to get lockpicking up to mind lock, or so I've found.