Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 04:15 PM CST
Back from a long break and was wondering if someone could give me a quick briefing on any game changes that I would want to know about as a ranger.

Was also looking for a trails script that had been given to me by Nimmo ages ago. Was really effective for training scouting on the mainland.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Pathyn
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 04:25 PM CST
>>Was also looking for a trails script that had been given to me by Nimmo ages ago. Was really effective for training scouting on the mainland.

I've run a couple trains for travelling but none for training, never tracked anything for training. My ranks are still fairly low but if there's someone else in my hunting area I can keep it locked using Hunt every 80 seconds or so. Scouting: 122 95.11
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 04:42 PM CST
I've been gone for something like 6 years, so not sure what hunt is or how it works.

The trails script was great for training scouting. Only had to run a full cycle once and then could go off to hunt for a good while. I have 263 scouting, so not sure what the deal is for training it now. Wasn't all too great for perception, but it got it moving and that kept me happy.

Pathyn
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 05:08 PM CST
The game has had some major changes in the last 6 years.

The HUNT verb, like LUXORTH mentioned, is a great tool to keep perception and scouting moving. You just type HUNT and it will search the surrounding rooms for creatures and players. It'll give you a list of everything that was found and you can can hunt them down by typing HUNT # (# being the corresponding number).

You can still train scouting and perception by running trails but its nowhere as effecting as HUNT. I still run trails as a complement to my survivals training... run them only when all other skills are moving and i'm waiting for them to drain. Lowest priority.

A few months ago the experience system was changed. Now the exp pools are much bigger and there are 34 mindstates. You'll gain the same experience per pulse regardless of it being 30/34 or 3/34 (just examples). It takes roughly between 40 and 60 minutes to fully drain a primary skill from mind lock 34/34 to clear 0/34. Much longer than that for secondary and tertiary skills. This means you can store up your exp and go do something else for a while.

If i were you i'd grab a snack and go read the GM announcement folders.

And welcome back :D
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 05:13 PM CST
Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear on what hunt is. It also trains stalking but not as well if you don't actually hunt something down. Like Pathyn said though, it trains scouting and perception great. Perception is actually my highest survival at 130 and I've never juggled once. I do spend a lot of time in combat though and only come out when i'm locked to train magic and other survivals I can't do in combat.
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 05:22 PM CST
Thank you both! Makes me really happy to know that I can train scouting while hunting. It is an amazing ability to come back to after a long break.

Pathyn
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/04/2009 05:27 PM CST
I think I mentioned it but the timer is around 75 seconds, you learn a lot more if you track down something like hunt then hunt 2 but for now I'm learning plenty staying still and hunting every 80 seconds.
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/12/2009 01:53 AM CST
Pathyn!! Welcome back!

Huge massive changes since you've been gone. Any specific questions you should hit up here but feel free to hit me up on AIM - SpiffDR about anything as well. I should be around for most of tomorrow (being lazy...).

I'm sure there will be lots of recapping soon as most systems have been reworked and lots of goodies for you to discover.

Jalika

Moving carefully, you slip your hand into Ragran's pockets and carefully grab a platinum.
Roundtime: 2 sec.
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/12/2009 04:20 PM CST
Hey! I'll def hit you up!

Pathyn
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/23/2009 08:24 PM CST
Hey Pathyn, Welcome back.

Couple of things I thought of that haven't been mentioned:

1) You cab go directly into stalking without hiding first.

2) You can slip things into and out of containers without coming out of hiding.

3) Blend is way less effective than it used to be. Critters/players with sufficient perception can hit you while you're in blend (and hiding too for that matter.)

4) Ooodles of changes to stealth all the way around and a few verbs to help out with the changes (scout aware, etc.)

5) All non-TM spells have been changed to be less/non-damaging. TM spells were introduced for rangers.
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/24/2009 05:31 AM CST
>3) Blend is way less effective than it used to be. Critters/players with sufficient perception can hit you while you're in blend (and hiding too for that matter.)

Blend is slated to be merged with NC and to go away, that's how bad it is now ;-)

Learn TM if you haven't already. You have access to the spell BOLT for free.

-pete
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/24/2009 08:23 AM CST
Thanks! :)

Any idea when blend is going to be merged with NC?

Pathyn
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/24/2009 08:55 AM CST
I believe the word "soon" was used.... so I'd say 3 years.
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/24/2009 09:59 AM CST
Somethings just don't change...
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/26/2009 03:00 AM CST
<<Somethings just don't change...

Hence you being back. :-P Welcome back Path.

Falker
Re: Been gone awhile... 11/30/2009 10:37 AM CST
LoL thanks.:)
Re: Been gone awhile... 01/01/2010 10:50 AM CST
Good to see you back Pathyn

Nuich

"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is."
-- The Outlaw Josey Wales