Goblins 10/23/2008 10:44 AM CDT
When?

Also, I've heard the only way to learn disarm is to grab a class, or go to louts. I can't handle louts yet. Any other options? I havent found a class yet.

~(someday)Pirate Pleasance~
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 10:50 AM CDT
<<I can't handle louts yet.

Louts, with the possible exception of toads, are the easiest creature in the game...

I'd suggest finding someone in game to take you hunting in louts so you can ask questions while you're there and figure out what is making them hard for you. A character right out of the generator can go toe to toe with them.

If I had to make a guess out of the blue as to why you find them difficult... find a shield if you haven't already and before hunting type STANCE SHIELD. That will make a HUGE difference.

-Evran

"Constitutions are meant to protect minorities -- not to take rights away from people." - Bruce Bastian
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:10 AM CDT
wierd. maybe they just hit really hard. If i'm standing there, I"m okay. Minute I swing, they hit hard.

Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:19 AM CDT
The louts do have those cudgels- Which means they will hit hard and will block you far more than rats or something comparable will. And yes, their boxes are the easiest in game.

Try getting your first few ranks of weapons and defense before you hit louts- and you might find them easier to handle if you train shield.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:31 AM CDT
<<Minute I swing, they hit hard.

That might be the problem. SWING gives you a bit of a defensive penalty. If you're using an attack combo try turning SWEEP and/or SWING into FEINT SWEEP and FEINT SWING. That might help you not get hurt during those moves.

The other thing I can think of is that if you don't know about combos and are just repeating SWING or the like, you're probably hurting your balance which is whats causing the hits. Try one of the attack combos. Not knowing what weapon you use I'm not able to say for sure which one you should use... but most edged weapons work well with PARRY, JAB, DRAW, SWEEP, SLICE, CHOP. Just repeat that sequence if you have an edged weapon and it will help you maintain balance. If you have a different kind of weapon, just let us know what and we can give you a combo that'll work for that one.

-Evran

"Constitutions are meant to protect minorities -- not to take rights away from people." - Bruce Bastian
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:31 AM CDT
15 in evasion
10 in ME
11 in Parry

Course now I can't find any louts. The two I found only had change.

Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:36 AM CDT
Are you using a shield, and stanced to use at least 1% in it?

I find that I don't get hit (pretty much at all) if I do this with a newb.

__
You say, "When startled the elusive silk ruffled Empath fans out, its fluff laden body providing cover to make it seem larger than it really is in an effort to scare off predators."

http://tinyurl.com/5kmnso
Total Chapters: 4
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:56 AM CDT
Louts are rats with clubs. Try using a ranged weapon against them (use retreat to stay at range and/or hide).

>Minute I swing, they hit hard.

What's your overall hindrance? What stance are you using? What weapon/shield? What ranks?

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, Ranger
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
>Tiesse exclaims, "The power of soon compels you!"
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 11:58 AM CDT
Sorry, when I say 'swing' I meant any combo. I'm using 'feint, draw, sweep, slice, chop, dodge'.

Yeah, I'm using a shield. I think I just need to be more patient.

Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 12:16 PM CDT
Zombie Goblins are another choice. They don't hide and are easier to find
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 01:04 PM CDT
Louts are in an urban environment, which is no bueno for a Ranger. Zomblins would be good.

~Thilan
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 04:14 PM CDT
>>When?

10 ranks of combat skill will allow you to kill the unarmed ones outside of the orchard fairly easily. It's definitely not a gimme like with rats or louts, so if you are looking for something safe or unchallenging stick with louts. If you choose to do goblins this early, keep FLEE and other defensive options in mind because you will most likely have to run away a time or two depending on local (ie, the orchard) conditions.

To really get the farming going on field goblins, you'll need at least 20 ranks to overcome the increased multi penalty and stuff that the orchard or the abandoned farm (non-swarmy area between Tiger Clan and Crossing with armed goblins and musk hogs) imposes on you and then 30-40 to handle the swarmy armed goblins on the east-west corridor. By then, though, you are pretty much at the hard cap and will want to move to a different critter.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 05:35 PM CDT
Thanks! I have a few ranks to go, but I think I'll be able to handle goblins in a few days...maybe. Just discovered the bad mojo for Rangers in louts, so I'm making my trips in there short. I've been in DR before, but it's been a long time. I rolled up a thief, but wasn't liking it. Rerolled to a Ranger (which I was a long time ago). Once you're a Ranger it's hard to be anything else.

Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 08:44 PM CDT
All the advice here has been excellent but I have found that having to learn weapons combos while learning an entirely new world to be a bit overwhelming at first. So if you feel the same, please keep in mind that you can always type ATTACK or ATT for any weapon and it will automatically use combos that are ok and keep you at least solidly balanced.

Then after a while, you can learn all the different optimum combos each weapon has.

By the way...I don't like hunting in rats and keep forgetting the louts so the new characters I have made usually start in goblins--well with hogs usually in the orchard area. It is possible. And I like danger. But I'm wierd that way.

Zinaca
Re: Goblins 10/23/2008 08:48 PM CDT
zombie gobs in haven i think are your best bet. they are cake, at really any ranks just about, and drop boxes. also is wilderness area.

~Artilius
Re: Goblins 10/25/2008 09:42 PM CDT
Zombie goblins near Haven? Where are they? Gee I really should just go look around that place some...it's really changed.

Zinaca
Re: Goblins 10/25/2008 09:55 PM CDT
One of Ranik's maps shows the way it. It's past- I think some kind of hollow or bower at the Sanrisi tree.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Goblins 10/26/2008 11:42 AM CDT
Heh, so I tried goblins... I can handle a total of one goblin. The other gave me a shiner and knocked me cold. Back off to rats to grab some more evasion and a few more multi.

(my son popped the 'v' off my laptop and is holding it for ransom. Now I'm way too aware of the missing letter and for some reason feel I need to hit the 'v' key for any word I'm typing)

Re: Goblins 10/26/2008 12:48 PM CDT
At least the shipyard has been made friendlier to rangers.

Good luck!

Re: Goblins 10/28/2008 04:20 PM CDT
<<Back off to rats to grab some more evasion and a few more multi.

What you really need to do is work down your armor hindrance. You'll find that is is probably your armor that is getting you killed, and not your lack of MO or evasion.

Falker