Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/04/2008 08:44 PM CDT
Hi all. Has anyone tried making a script for tracking the first 35-40 ranks needed before running the "easy" trails?

I only get time to play DR maybe 2 nights a week and I've spent the vast majority of that time since returning trying to get scouting ranks high enough to run the trails. I'm at 30 now but I'm about to pull THE REST of my hair out. I'm tracking the halfling lad because theres a close room thats considered wilderness, and I don't have any more success with the scarecrow or kitten in the garden. I don't know why people track those...

I've tried creating a script but I failed miserably over and over. The best I can get is to be able to track from a room the lads not in over and over. When I have a success or time out I have to restart.

Also, I have heard 35 is the amount of ranks needed to begin the trails, I've also heard the easiest trail of the easy ones is in the riverhaven area. Can anyone confirm any of that? I don't think I can take too much more of this mind numbing early rank scouting...

PS. What about perception? Mines staying 1-2 ranks ahead of scouting, when I hit 35 scouting will it be high enough to see the trails?
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/04/2008 11:40 PM CDT
There's a few on the genie forums if you use it
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 08:33 AM CDT
Thanks DEARMANK. Unfortunately genie forums are for paying customers only, which I'm not one of.

Anyway if anyone is willing to work on a script for that lad, that would be great. I'm thinking about re-rolling on plat but I seriously do not want to go through that again without a script.

I finally was able to SCOUT TRAIL at the crossing to kaerna.

For those interested my skills are:

Perception: 38 61% concentrating
Scouting: 36 14% muddled

Things I did not knowing whether they matter or not were removing my gloves and helm and a self cast of WS prepped at 10.

This is allowing me to see the trail and GO TRAIL after about 7 SCOUT TRAIL attempts.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:08 AM CDT
>>Thanks DEARMANK. Unfortunately genie forums are for paying customers only, which I'm not one of.

Yeah, if you're not a paying customer the scripts would be worthless anyway.

I think there is a scarecrow in either Arthe or Tigerclan than you can scout, that should be easy to script since it doesn't move
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:26 AM CDT
>>I think there is a scarecrow in either Arthe or Tigerclan than you can scout, that should be easy to script since it doesn't move<<

I don't think we can track non moving critters/npcs anymore. At least thats the impression I had.

Trust me I already had that idea and ran to Riverhaven to make a script on the acolyte at the north gate. He just looked at me when I attemted to track him.

But yeah, if the target didn't move I'd be able to figure that script out easy enough.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:46 AM CDT
I thought there were changes to scouting that meant you should be able to run trails from like, day 1.

What trails are you trying to run?

-Vision et al

Also, I can shoot bees.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:49 AM CDT
Heck I'm running the supposed easiest trail in the game, from crossing to kaerna and back again.

I wish I could have ran trails from day 1. Would have saved a lot of time and been a hell of a lot funner than doing it this way.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:57 AM CDT
Running trails for scouting is only bearable because it is easy to script. What we need is a REAL use for the skill. Old tracking was very useful if you were after someone. New scouting? No.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 09:58 AM CDT
Anyone tried teaching/listening to a scouting class under the new teaching mechs?

flip
Flip what?

My website of cleric info: http://hometown.aol.com/kaliradr/myhomepage/profile.html
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 10:27 AM CDT
>>Running trails for scouting is only bearable because it is easy to script.<<

Well, and actually having success. I mean for the first 36 ranks I did nothing but beat my head on the desk and pull my hair out watching the screen spam me with You are unable to locate signs blah blah blah... I didn't notice any degree of change/improvement from rank 1 to 36 tracking the lad. Very mind-numbing.

At least now I can run two trails with success and can actually lock two skills doing it relatively quickyly in comparison to the earlier ranks which I only locked scouting once and it took 40 mins, never locked perception scouting the lad.

>>What we need is a REAL use for the skill. Old tracking was very useful if you were after someone. New scouting? No.<<

Well, I was hoping it would be a bit more useful than what I've seen so far. This new scouting almost had me shell out the money to bring back my Ranger that I walked years ago just to avoid the early ranks. Almost, but not quite.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/05/2008 06:20 PM CDT
The scarecrow is in Arthe Dale, along with a tiny kitten. Both move, but they only have three rooms to move in.

You can also track the rooster and pig and whatever else is in Tiger Clan.

And you can track critters you hunt--goblins, rats, frogs, whatever. Or PCs. Not generally a smart thing if they can hit you, though.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/06/2008 02:11 AM CDT
yeah, the scarecrow and kitten are trackable.

I made a wizard script for the scarecrow and i kept using it even after i could run the trails, because it trained climbing and swimming as well. Only moved to the trails when it slowed down.

maybe its a bit late, but here it is in case others need it.
It requires you to be able to climb and swim (actually, you dont need to be able to actually climb the tree, but it helps)
You also need the sop spell (you can easily change the script if you dont)
I recently changed the script to bypass the casting and now i changed it back... i didnt try it after the last change so it might have some error. If it does it should be easy to fix :)

It starts at the bottom of the tree, outside the path to the garden or in any of the 3 rooms the scarecrow lives in.

#scarecrow.Cmd

look:
put look
match tree Obvious paths: north.
match start Obvious paths: south, west.
match room1 Obvious paths: east.
match room2 Obvious paths: east, west.
match room3 Obvious paths: west.
matchwait

tree:
move north
move east
move east
goto start

start:
move go path
goto room1

room1p:
pause
room1:
put track scarecrow
match next2 What were you referring to?
match gopath You determine to track
match gopath You refocus on tracking the scarecrow
match room1p ...wait
match room1p type ahead
matchwait

next2:
move e

room2p:
pause
room2:
put track scarecrow
match next3 What were you referring to?
match room2p ...wait
match room2p type ahead
matchwait

next3:
move e

room3p:
pause
room3:
put track scarecrow
match next4 What were you referring to?
match room3p ...wait
match room3p type ahead
matchwait

next4:
move w

room4p:
pause
room4:
put track scarecrow
match next5 What were you referring to?
match room4p ...wait
match room4p type ahead
matchwait

next5:
move w

room5p:
pause
room5:
put track scarecrow
match error What were you referring to?
match room5p ...wait
match room5p type ahead
matchwait

gopathp:
pause
gopath:
put west
match path You can't go there.
match gopathp Obvious paths:
match gopathp ...wait
match gopathp type ahead
matchwait

path:
pause
move go path
move west
move west
move south
put climb tree
wait
put climb trunk
move dive hole
move swim south
pause
move swim north
pause
move climb emb
goto prepare

preparep:
pause
prepare:
put prepare sop 5
match cast You are already preparing
match track You close your eyes and breathe deeply
match preparep ...wait
match preparep type ahead
matchwait

trackp:
pause
track:
put track
match trackp ...wait
match trackp type ahead
match trackp Roundtime:
match look Obvious paths:
match start But you are not tracking anything!
matchwait

castp:
pause
cast:
put cast
match castp ...wait
match castp type ahead
match prepare You don't have a spell prepared!
match prepare You gesture
matchwait

error:
goto look
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 07/06/2008 02:58 AM CDT
You should put this on DRsecrets, it's much easier to find a script there than here
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 04:24 PM CDT
Hey thanks guys. I actually got the script made. Took me like two weeks of fiddling with it and adjusting alvens8 script to fit my needs (ty alv) but anyway I was able to track the lad from a bonus friendly room for 39 ranks. 38 in perception.

But now I'm totally lost. With my prime ranger I mentioned earlier I was able to GO TRAIL with 38 perc and 36 scouting. Now in plat I can scout trail and see the trailmarker, but when I GO TRAIL it says 'I could not find what you were referring to.' Everytime.

My bonus is fine. I am howling like a wolf and I tracked the entire time from a bonus friendly room on the NTR.

Also on my prime ranger I had a self cast of WS which did make a difference in how many times I had to scout trail before I saw the TM, but in plat a moon mage cast cv on me, and with these ranks and cv I see the TM everytime leading me to believe that my plat ranger is better off than my prime one, yet I cannot GO TRAIL.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

I can't figure it out. Is it somehow circle based? I am still circle 1.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 04:26 PM CDT
If you have the ranks, you should be able to use the trails.

Try Go Trailmarker: That seemed to make a difference with my rangers.

Good luck!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 04:31 PM CDT
Nope, no luck I tried. Just tried again to make sure. I went to circle but I need some hiding. Im only going to work hiding to see if that is indeed it. I know kalika gives Rangers some schpiel at circle 2, maybe thats somehow involved.

I'll try to get the ranks before I have to leave tonight for the week.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 05:15 PM CDT
Well I circled and still no luck.

Dunno whats going on. Well I'll just have to wait till next weekend I s'pose.
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 05:22 PM CDT
I did just think of one more thing: You may need to stay well away from town for a while because sometimes that last little bit of bonus makes a difference.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Scouting early on- Scripting help 08/10/2008 06:06 PM CDT
>I did just think of one more thing: You may need to stay well away from town for a while because sometimes that last little bit of bonus makes a difference.

I was unable to run the easiest trail after I completely tanked my bonus. I had at least 150 scouting at the time. Although I think I just failed to see the trail when that happened. It was quite awhile ago now though, so I can't say for sure.