Fishing 07/15/2003 02:03 PM CDT
Folks, I'm just starting out trying to learn fishing. I would appreciate any comments about the best line and bait to buy, where to fish and the actual mechanics of fishing. I can't seem to figure out how to cast the line to fish.

Kralluk
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 02:15 PM CDT
>>I would appreciate any comments about the best line and bait to buy

Best line and bait really depends on where you are fishing and what you are trying to catch. I'm sure some of the more experienced fishers can give you advice on specific fish/locations, or you can experiment and see what kind of results you get.. half the fun of fishing, IMO :)

>>actual mechanics of fishing

GET <line|hook|[bait type]> to set up your pole.

CAST MY POLE to cast the line.
PULL MY POLE to reel in the line.
PUSH MY POLE to let more line out.
WAVE MY POLE to wiggle the line.
THROW MY POLE to relieve frustration (don't expect to get it back).

ASK <fish buyer> FOR STRING to get a wearable string to hold your fish, if you want. Good for bulk selling, but you won't be able to get them off, so don't use one if you're shooting for trophies.

PUT <fish> ON STRING to string the fish.

~Kyrrian
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 03:38 PM CDT
There's a question .... how much demand is there for info on fishing? Taffei spent months at it (and one of her first exclamations about the new bay in Arthe Dale was, "I can FISH here!!!"), I could likely get quite the treasure trove of info if I drill her on it, and could likely build a page (although it would be a ways down the list, got quite the "to-do" list already <mutter>).

Would it be in-demand enough for me to put forth the effort?

~~~Krin
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 04:04 PM CDT
I agree. I would love to see folks with insight into fishing techniques come forth with information. Anyone out there?

Naturn
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 04:07 PM CDT
a fisherman never tells his secrets.

Falk

Word Of The Day

fecund : (adj) : intellectually productive or inventive to a marked degree
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 04:13 PM CDT
>>Falk>>a fisherman never tells his secrets.

Correction: you mean never tells his secrets except to his son/grandson ... and some of them are told to the guy who brought the beer today. :-D

~~~Krin
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 04:13 PM CDT
>>a fisherman never tells his secrets.

Eggs are really good for catching gar by the bridge just north of Lang :P

~Kyrrian
Re: Fishing 07/15/2003 04:27 PM CDT
The concept of "secret" is outdated, unfortunately.

Xelten Tyrsin

If you wish to see your enemies, look at your "friends."
Re: Fishing 07/16/2003 10:41 PM CDT
Krin,

As I am finally restarting my attempts at a ranger (after almost six years since my last failed try.. went very badly since I didn't have a clue what to do exactly as ranger then.. and got sidetracked with other guilds heh) I have found your site to be very very informative and helpful.. so i may not speak for others.. but my opinion is yes, please do add stuff such as fishing and all to your site as well.. even a lil bit here and there is more than it was before.. and always helpful. :) Anyways.. I just wanted to voice my opinion and say yes and also to thank you for the work you do on your site.. very helpful and laid out quite well.. thanks you.

Khaeyl's Ranger Attempt #3
Re: Fishing 07/25/2003 08:38 AM CDT
Do it Krin. Not much has changed in fishing so you shouldn't have to update it much (said in a VERY innocent tone).

Anyway, I always take my pole around with me and try different spots. One other thing you cand do is 'look my pole' and it will tell you how much line is out and what might be on your pole if you haven't seen it already.

Also, you can do most of your fishing while hiding (though with all the movement I'm not sure why...I'm not going to complain though). So that's nice to know in areas where there are critters but you still want to fish and not be bothered. With the new hiding, however, you probably want to stay away from fishing areas with tough critters that have good perception.

sylviir

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Fishing Supplies 04/16/2007 11:57 AM CDT
Where might one get fishing supplies on the mainland? Also, any help on what to buy and how to go about fishing to train Animal Lore would be welcomed. (I'm not getting another raccoon... they annoy me.)

Thanks.
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/16/2007 12:05 PM CDT
>>Where might one get fishing supplies on the mainland? Also, any help on what to buy and how to go about fishing to train Animal Lore would be welcomed. (I'm not getting another raccoon... they annoy me.)

First off, as a Ranger getting a companion is going to be the more efficient way to learn AL. Foraging is the main skill you learn from fishing, with perception, AL and mech thrown in (and skinning if you clean/scrape your catch).

There's a shack in Lang just north of the wharf. There's also supplies in Ilya Taipa, but getting to Lang is more noob friendly. You can also get fishing gear for free from some of the ships that go to the islands, but the poles aren't collapsible so won't fit in as many containers as the ones you buy.

As far as technique, there have been a bunch of posts on what's best in the Fishing folder in the Abilities category. I use Hanryu's script, which does all the fishing for you and once you've landed a fish it skins it and scrapes it and puts it in your container. Search for posts by SAUVA to find it (sorry, too lazy right now to do it myself).

~Thilan
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/16/2007 12:46 PM CDT
Cool, thanks.
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 12:21 AM CDT
>>First off, as a Ranger getting a companion is going to be the more efficient way to learn AL. Foraging is the main skill you learn from fishing, with perception, AL and mech thrown in (and skinning if you clean/scrape your catch).

Not true. Animal Lore never moved at all with my little raccoon. I started fishing and within a few days had gained 30 ranks. Granted I was doing an EXTREME amount of Fishing, but if I hadn't been fishing, I would have only gained maybe 1 rank during that time.

But then maybe I wasn't using my companion properly.
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 12:30 AM CDT
Fishing's good stuff and very newbie-friendly. I definitely recommend that to start. Fishing should be able to take you to ~100 ranks of AL reliably, though with a primary pool it will probably slow down significantly long before than.

In my experience though AL exp from fishing isn't even half of the foraging exp. Fishing might take you to ~100, maybe ~200 if you're a sadist who loves his/her foraging, but companions can reliably take you to 400 AL and beyond.

I would recommend experimenting with your raccoon using signals and such. The first 30 ranks of any skill can easily be acquired in low mind states. For higher ranks where constant mind lock is required companions are the way to go.
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 12:34 AM CDT
>>Not true. Animal Lore never moved at all with my little raccoon.

How were you training with it? I guarantee you're going to get 40 ranks of AL from growing you coon to full grown, and maybe more depending on your mentals.

~Thilan
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 01:07 AM CDT
Found the supplies in Lang and have been enjoying this fishing stuff. Teaches AL and Foraging very well for me.

<<For higher ranks where constant mind lock is required companions are the way to go.

Can you explain how one gets AL mind locked using a companion? I pretty much only seem to be getting AL when I feed the bugger which is not nearly often enough to get it locked... what else is there that I'm missing? Or do they have to be young/grown before I really start learning from my wolf?

Thanks.
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 11:33 AM CDT
>>Can you explain how one gets AL mind locked using a companion? I pretty much only seem to be getting AL when I feed the bugger which is not nearly often enough to get it locked... what else is there that I'm missing? Or do they have to be young/grown before I really start learning from my wolf?<<

Ask it to pick up stuff, when it gets tired tell it to take a nap. Rinse and repeat. In my experience, the heavier the item the more you learn

Da Madd Webba

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sportin' with puppies?

You might as well pay attention since your behind can't afford free speech

I'm like a pee stained mattress, don't sleep on me!
Re: Fishing Supplies 04/17/2007 11:37 AM CDT
<<Da Madd Webba

Thanks.