Question 05/11/2003 12:13 AM CDT
Is there a site which lists when we get each beesech/spell/ability and what it does?

I cannot seem to find the wolf's den.

--
"Like most things. I am nothing."
Re: Question 05/11/2003 12:30 AM CDT
Here's my link to the Wolf's Den. Don't know how long ago its been updated, but here it is. Krinahd's site has that stuff on it too as I remember. Enjoy...

http://www.arcanewolf.com/main.html
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/RangerNotes.html

Hawkman

"B. R."
Re: Question 05/11/2003 01:16 AM CDT
I personally like legends-end to look up beseeches and spells and such... it just looks so good! I think its just www.legends-end.com I do know its in the link section under Rangers. Anyway, once you get there, click on rangers on the top left and then follow the top of the frame to get to different sections.

"You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
Re: Question 05/11/2003 07:29 AM CDT
Thanks.

--
Re: Question 05/11/2003 05:44 PM CDT
Yahoo seems to have occasional trouble with their domain server, so if that link to my site comes up 404, try this one instead:

http://www.lucerella.com/krinahd/MagicNotes.html

Speaking of which, a few days ago I got around to adding a page for miscellaneous data I pick up here and there I figure might be of interest but doesn't warrant having a page all to itself. Also, I finally posted the first draft of the Getting Started area of the Scout's Guide. It will likely get revised over time, but for now has the basics of what I try to tell youngins when I'm helping them.

~~~Krin
Re: Question 05/11/2003 09:44 PM CDT
Thanks. I just needed specific stuff like the ranger signals and the specifics of each beesech and stuff.

It's my first time back in the realms after a while and I figured being a Ranger would be a nice change of pace.

--
Re: Question 05/12/2003 04:18 PM CDT
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/MagicNotes.html
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/Beseeches.html

Take a look at my site, it should have all you need, then. The spells page has all of our spells in a single table, grouped by book, along with pre-req(s), min/max preps, max durations (for those I have verified) and whether they are replacable or stackable.

Beneath that is a very nice graphic Taffei made for me (for those of you who haven't looked lately, go take a peek, she made a new one!) and the spell tree itself is an image map so not only can you click on a spell name in the table but you can also click it in the spell tree image ... either will jump down to that spell's place in the list. The list is comprised of all the spell descriptions as they are listed in our spellbooks.

The beseech page has a similar chart for our beseeches and a list of their effects, which I did in my own words since I couldn't find an actual in-game description I could use. Perhaps someday spellbooks will get tweaked such that Rangers can have a whole new chapter on beseeches (one page per beseech), which would be nice especially if they could be studied same as spells (we only have 17 spells, we need more pages for scholarship, darnit! there's a one hour timer on those darn things!). Meantime, if they could just use the same messaging that would go in the spellbooks and have the Guildleaders give us that text as a response when we ask about specific beseeches that would at least get the information out.

~~~Krin
http://krinahd.lucerella.com/
Re: Question 05/12/2003 04:21 PM CDT
Krin,

I do like the magic page, very informative, I check it when I am planning my spell slots. I do like the larger spell tree map too.

Oh on your misc page, either a bigger font, bolder or something, its hard to read for us old guys.

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
Re: Question 05/12/2003 04:38 PM CDT
Information wise a very nice site :D

Design wise... bleh :P

Oh, also add the ranger signals if possible.

--
Re: Question 05/12/2003 04:41 PM CDT
>>Oh on your misc page, either a bigger font, bolder or something, its hard to read for us old guys.

Yeah, I just noticed that. Next time I update it, I'll try to remember to put the right font size on that one. <mutter> Wasn't meant to be that small.

Meantime, don't forget you can also affect the size of text on webpages yourself ... go to the menu bar of your browser and select view. text size. The dot marks your current setting, assuming you don't already have it jacked to the maximum (in which case even the font on that page shouldn't be TOO hard to read), you can raise it up a notch or two on websites that are a bit difficult to read due to font size. It overrides page settings, so shouldn't matter the page as long as it is plain text and not text within a graphic.

~~~Krin
Re: Question 05/12/2003 04:43 PM CDT
You want me to work for the info you have on the page so far? <snicker>

Player of Peperic Timarson, ranger in training and corn carrier for Lucky, the raccoon.
Tree-house, North Road, River's edge.
"No matter how hard you try, you can't fix stupid."
A Few Quick Questions 12/05/2004 01:49 PM CST
Hi there,

Up until now, I've only played Traders in DR, but I find that I enjoy training a lot of the survival skills, and am thinking of starting up a Ranger. There's a few things I'm fuzzy on, however, having to do with a Ranger's 'bonus'. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) I've noticed a lot of folk in past posts have mentioned tracking in Arthe . . . does this mean that being in Arthe won't negatively impact a Ranger's bonus? What about Tiger, Wolf, and Horse clans?

2) Are there any places for a Ranger to use the bank system that isn't Bonus Negative (because I know the Crossing is a big no no)?

3) Is there a way to go to and from the Crossing Guild without having to go through the Crossing itself, thereby tanking one's bonus?

4) One thing I haven't seen mentioned at all, are homes. Can Rangers even own a home without tanking their bonus? Or are there homes/homesites that are either Bonus neutral or Bonus positive?

5) Any idea yet how a Ranger's bonus reacts to Player Owned Ships?

Thanks much,
Rayvynne
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/05/2004 02:05 PM CST
<<1) I've noticed a lot of folk in past posts have mentioned tracking in Arthe . . . does this mean that being in Arthe won't negatively impact a Ranger's bonus? What about Tiger, Wolf, and Horse clans?

Arthe isn't too bad. Try pacing around in each room to get an idea.

<<2) Are there any places for a Ranger to use the bank system that isn't Bonus Negative (because I know the Crossing is a big no no)?

No, but short periods of time in the city won't hurt you. The reasons for wanting alternative is just for the RP of a ranger. We tried to work something out with the traders but it died on the vine. However, you seem to be a premie so there is one in the premie area by El Bains.

<<3) Is there a way to go to and from the Crossing Guild without having to go through the Crossing itself, thereby tanking one's bonus?

Yes, I'm not sure of the skills required. Ask a ranger in game about the location.

<<4) One thing I haven't seen mentioned at all, are homes. Can Rangers even own a home without tanking their bonus? Or are there homes/homesites that are either Bonus neutral or Bonus positive?

There are house areas in the wilderness

<<5) Any idea yet how a Ranger's bonus reacts to Player Owned Ships?

Don't know about that one but I am sure someone else will answer.

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/05/2004 02:15 PM CST
3. You won't tank your bonus unless you spend a significant amount of time in the city.

5. Player owned ships are wilderness, if I'm not mistaken.

- Xelten Tyrsin

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." --Harry S Truman

In God we trust.
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/05/2004 07:35 PM CST
>>No, but short periods of time in the city won't hurt you. <<

Ah, good to know. I guess I'd gotten the impression that just stepping foot in the city could wind you up in Bonus trouble. :)

>>However, you seem to be a premie so there is one in the premie area by El Bains.<<

I'll have to try and look for that, then. I haven't decided yet whether I plan to play a Ranger in Prime or Plat, though I'll probably go ahead and just stick with Plat for this character too, since I'm having such a great time over there.

>>There are house areas in the wilderness<<

Great. I was worried that even the houses in wilderness areas would be considered away from nature. Good to know I'd be able to get housed up.

>>5. Player owned ships are wilderness, if I'm not mistaken.<<
Awesome.

Thank you both so much for the answers, they've helped alot.

Rayvynne
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/06/2004 09:47 AM CST
<<3) Is there a way to go to and from the Crossing Guild without having to go through the Crossing itself, thereby tanking one's bonus?

>>Yes, I'm not sure of the skills required. Ask a ranger in game about the location.

Climbing, and it doesn't take much, I was using it to train climbing with my test character in TF. Look for a tree along the Northwall Trail towards the west side that can be climbed.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/06/2004 09:58 AM CST
<<Climbing, and it doesn't take much, I was using it to train climbing with my test character in TF. Look for a tree along the Northwall Trail towards the west side that can be climbed.

Poorly worded, I knew the skill but not how much and wanted to avoid giving out hints on the boards.

Sylvado

"False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for everyone takes a salutory pleasure in proving their falseness."
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/06/2004 10:38 AM CST
>>Sylvado>>Poorly worded, I knew the skill but not how much and wanted to avoid giving out hints on the boards.

As a general principle, I agree ... where we disagree is on what items are included as "quests" or "secrets".

The back door to the Crossing Guild, one which would allow our youngest members to access the Guild without touching the corrupting influence of the city does NOT count as one of them, IMHO. It should, instead, be one of the first things they learn.

Besides, you'll notice I didn't tell them what to look for once they were in the tree or what to expect when they found it. Like I said, I agree on secrets ... and how fun they can be to find. I just think a helping hand is just as valuable.

Just like how I wish Paklin would get off his haunches and do like GM Heiu did with a recent announcement ... and tell us what skills and stats are involved with WotP. Not a list of how they relate to each other in any formulas or how many ranks gets what, we can find that out for ourselves. But without knowing what skills and stats are involved, that means we have to look at all 8 stats and all 60+ skills just to see what is affected and with that many variables, coherent testing is a virtual impossibility, so I won't even be bothered to try in the first place.

Like I said, a helping hand without revealing all for anyone to see, leave the true discovery to those who seek it. A nice balance, wouldn't you say?

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
"Call me Snake."
Re: A Few Quick Questions 12/06/2004 11:03 AM CST
<<The back door to the Crossing Guild, one which would allow our youngest members to access the Guild without touching the corrupting influence of the city does NOT count as one of them, IMHO. It should, instead, be one of the first things they learn.

Good point, perhaps Kalika could add it to her little talk. Just a general description of where to look and what to look for. It might make a neat little mini quest for new rangers.

Sylvado

Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/19/2006 08:54 AM CST
I remember when disarm was easy, goblins and trolkin dropped plenty of boxes, then sand sprites were a dream. Now, well I don't recall the last time I ranked the skill! I've got 120 disarm 140 lock, WS and SoTT (if either of those help). Garg boxes do alright, but between the armor/weapon damage, the overabundance of snowies(not premie), the feast of famine spawn, and the feast or famine drop rate, its slow going. So question what progression worked for you to get my disarm to adept? Thanks

p.s. primary weapon circa 150, long bow and HX at 90 that I'd like to catch up if that's possible at the same time, I can cap STW can web most critters.

--
Ranger Hanryu _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Sword of House Calibanor
>We are Rangers, all your releases are belong to us. ~ Sylvado
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/19/2006 10:00 AM CST
You should be still able to learn disarm from the sand sprites and gargs- if you use the ident-mark-quick options. At least, I did until about 135 in disarm. Then I slowed down. You should still be able to learn fairly well from the second-tier snow goblins too. I would suggest swains, but they're in-town so I don't think you want to trash your bonus.

Ryeka and a little ranger

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/19/2006 10:02 AM CST
At your current box levels, I spent alot of time in Frostweavers. They do not drop alot of boxes though. If you are a tax payer, the best place to hunt frostweavers is shard. They swarm there. Otherwise Aesry. Other critters in that box level would be DS, fendryads and swampies in lang, marauders, snow goblins, moss meys. You might start getting a geni box once in a while, but I would not recommend them as a main training source until 150+ in disarm. You can also check out the locksmith union web page, for a list of boxes for level of difficulty.

http://www.lurksponge.com/locksmithunion/locksmiths.html#boxes

Asterid.

Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/19/2006 01:32 PM CST
You're almost ready for scout orc boxes. At your ranks 4-5 scout boxes will lock you fast. I'd be near an empath though to start with. Plus they teach weapons to 200 nicely. I was in there today at got 6+ boxes in like an hour or so. So they drop ok.

Bluefalcon
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/19/2006 03:22 PM CST
At those ranks, I had trouble learning well, too. I found the best boxes for learning disarm at those ranks were from the snow goblins on Aesry. Didn't learn lockpicking very well, though, so went to Ratha and powered through a mountain of sprite boxes to get them even again.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (like many things) is erroneous
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/20/2006 08:28 AM CST
Swampies in lang I've got to be fully spelled up to take on, and I can't dance for multi (my primary weapon) so even thought the boxes are nice (the 2 I found got me to muddled (3 traps) I'll have to go to Aesry I think. I snuck thought the Orc Scout area, and from the apps I'd say that's a one way ticket to the Starry Road, so I'll need more ranks to hunt them (melee prime). I was just really really hoping to avoid Aesry as the stairs have stop teaching, and as such are just a pain in the ass. Ah well, the things we do for our craft, thanks for the advice folks, I'll let you know how the snoblins teach when I get out there.

--
Ranger Hanryu _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, Sword of House Calibanor
>We are Rangers, all your releases are belong to us. ~ Sylvado
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/22/2006 08:49 PM CST
The stairs aren't too bad if you have Kraelyst's travel scripts and the la'tami cliffs are still teaching me climbing at just under 200.

V

___
"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition."

- Henry V, William Shakespeare
Re: Question for you disarm junkie rangers 01/23/2006 02:48 PM CST
Disarm is nice that if you're working boxes which challenge you, you can actually learn in 3-8 boxes, depending on where you are on a wall rank. Lockpick is 'easy' to learn if you have a plethora of boxes, which is great if you feel like being bored to death in sandies, but not good if you want to learn at level with those same 3-8 boxes.

Around that time I think I picked up a few swains but hated being in town, ended up pushing into geni with CJs instead. Geni brought me from 140 to current (222) and still going strong.

Jal

---
An air elemental appears before Thanious and whispers something to him before floating over to you and saying, "Thanious is attempting to steal from you, madam. You may ACCUSE him to the proper officials."
The elemental fades away.
Question about favors near lang/theren 05/15/2007 05:22 PM CDT
>[Forest, Path's End]
>The trees round out the path, ending it with a thick stand of tender maple, spinebrush, and aspen. Bowing silently in homage to the small altar set up at the spot where the path terminates, the trees nod in a gentle breeze, reaffirming their faith to the entity that guards and protects them from harm.
Obvious paths: south.

>pray
>You begin to pray, kneeling before the empty altar. A sense of peace and tranquility fills you as you murmur softly.

>The sense of peace and tranquility you felt when praying a short time ago slowly diminishes, leaving you oddly unfulfilled.

It's been a while, but I think this is the place to get favors. I got rid of all the orbs in my inventory last night and tried again incase that was the case, but it happened again. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong or where I can get favors around here?

~Qyp
Re: Question about favors near lang/theren 05/15/2007 06:10 PM CDT
>>You begin to pray, kneeling before the empty altar.

Hafta put something on the altar before praying. They aren't like the Crossing/Haven puzzles where the gods kidnap you and hold you for ransom until you can figure out how to thwart their schemes. There's probably some bloodwolf pelts up at the picnic table, or maybe some beads.

J'Lo, I'm a ranger.. I'd believe anything.....
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: Question about favors near lang/theren 05/15/2007 06:10 PM CDT
That altar will indeed give favors. But you need the appropriate sacrifice when you pray.

Ryeka

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

Re: Question about favors near lang/theren 05/15/2007 06:41 PM CDT
>put pelt on alt
>You reverently place a blood wolf pelt on the stone altar.
>pray ryeka and loftonm1
>You begin to pray, kneeling before the altar. A sense of peace and tranquility fills you as you murmur softly.
>An overwhelming sense of contentment fills you as your offering is consumed in a blinding flash of light. When your vision clears, a glowing Kuniyo orb rests in its place upon the altar.

Your hints were tough to decipher, but I figured by "you need the appropriate sacrifice when you pray", you meant I had to get over my ego and pray to other players, so I tried and it worked! Thank you!

~Qyp
Re: Question about favors near lang/theren 05/15/2007 09:05 PM CDT
Wow, I've never been prayed to before! I'm glad it worked though! :)

Ryeka

HOL Question. 11/14/2007 08:25 PM CST
The website says there are no prereqs on HOL.

Does that mean a 5th circle ranger can pick the spell?

Can a 5th circle ranger use it to any effect? If their ranger bonus is shot?

How does the bonus work when the spell is cast on someone else?

- Mazrian
Re: HOL Question. 11/14/2007 09:06 PM CST
>>Does that mean a 5th circle ranger can pick the spell?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'll get more usage at lower circles out of SOP.

>>Can a 5th circle ranger use it to any effect? If their ranger bonus is shot?

It's a decent spell even at low mana. If you're eyeballing it go ahead and take it. HOL works independently of Ranger bonus.

>>How does the bonus work when the spell is cast on someone else?

Like many spells the bonus is determined by initial cast, whether on self or others, if that is what you were asking.