Prev_page Previous 1
Foraging 05/30/2002 01:09 AM CDT
How long is this foraging timer I've heard about? And what will be the best thing for my learning? Foraging for something I find all the time, foraging for something I have to work at a while to find, or foraging for something I never get? Foraging seems like a really hard skill to work.... anyway, thanks for all the great replies to my previous posts, and thanks in advance for helping me on this one.

Kardlo Brownfeather, Halfling Smokist
Re: Foraging 05/30/2002 08:55 AM CDT
<<How long is this foraging timer I've heard about? And what will be the best thing for my learning? Foraging for something I find all the time, foraging for something I have to work at a while to find, or foraging for something I never get? Foraging seems like a really hard skill to work.... anyway, thanks for all the great replies to my previous posts, and thanks in advance for helping me on this one.
Kardlo Brownfeather, Halfling Smokist>>

Timer appears to be about 90 seconds +/- although this is a gut feeling and not specifically tested.

Forage for something that you find about 7-8 times out of 10. When in doubt try corn or clover.

Best thing is not to 'work' foraging, that just gets you depressed. Go around and see what is in your favorite hunting area(s) and then forage for those items just once or twice between critters. It won't lock that way (unless you use AES) but it will keep it moving without your eyes glazing over.

Hymel
Re: Foraging 06/02/2002 06:33 AM CDT
Fish! Fish like mad! And sell them for vast profits... Its great.

-Korsobar
Re: Foraging 06/04/2002 12:43 PM CDT
<<Fish! Fish like mad! And sell them for vast profits... Its great.

-Korsobar
>>

Fishing teaches foraging? Where was I? hm...and sell? eh?

One confused ranger,
Jalika
ps - i knew i shoulda kept that octopus i caught
Re: Foraging 06/04/2002 02:09 PM CDT
hehe.. I fish when ever I'm on a boat
and I can get foragign to very muddles.. and its so much more fun then foraging corn all day..

Falk, still trying to get his name of the fish record board
Re: Foraging 06/25/2002 02:32 PM CDT
>hehe.. I fish when ever I'm on a boat and I can get foragign to very muddles.. and its so much more fun then foraging corn all day..

And you can either throw them back, eat'em right there, or save 'em and sell 'em. Aaaaaaand, you can do most of your fishing from hiding. Nice in areas with pesky critters or places where private land has good fishing spots.

Sylviir
How to Learn Foraging 12/04/2003 05:42 PM CST
I already posted this in the empath folders, because so many have been wondering about how to learn foraging lately, but I figured some of you young rangers may find it useful. A lot of the information has probably already been covered in this topic, but it can't hurt. Feel free to come find me east of Riverhaven if you would like help figuring any of it out.

Tsarenzi

How to Learn Foraging

The basic procedure I've found for learning foraging well is to create a list of items that are about at your level and challenge you. Then, you go through the list from start to finish, foraging each item carefully, if you can. Unfortunately, this method is only available to Rangers and Empaths, so all other guilds should forage normally or collect the item. Then once you've reached the end of the list, go back to the beginning and repeat it. You probably won't be above pondering after the first time through, so you will probably have to repeat the list several times to get to the level of learning you want. I'll detail how to create a good list further down.

A very important thing to remember is that you need to find the items to learn well from it. If you don't find the item, you pretty much don't learn. To be foraging at your best so you can find things that challenge you, there are a number of things you can do.
-The simplest thing is position. Kneeling is the best position to be in while foraging and it actually does make a big difference.
- Another thing is wounds. This is nearly impossible for empaths, but foraging when completely free of wounds will make a large difference. When this isn't possible, hand and eye wounds affect your foraging the most, so get rid of them first.
- Similiarly, wearing armor while foraging makes it much harder to do, especially hand and eye protection. Removing all armor is ideal, but gloves and helms should be the first to go.
- Also, watch out for burden. If you keep your burden low, you will have better luck foraging. However, wearing body armor seems to affect foraging more negatively than does the extra burden from putting it in your backpack.
- Location matters a lot. If an herb does not grow there, you will not be able to find it there. You will find that in some rooms there is practically nothing worth foraging for. Other rooms have a lot.
- Still more conditions are beyond your control. Foraging at nighttime, in bad weather, and during the winter will all be significantly harder. Some herbs are even not findable at all during the winter season, and possibly other seasons.

Creating Your List:
The ideal list has six to ten items that challenge you. More is better, but not at the stake of putting in extra items that shouldn't really be there. It is also significantly harder to find items for your list at lower ranks, as it is for those in guilds who cannot forage carefully. (Those in guilds that cannot forage carefully may want to just try out a list that a ranger or empath of approximately the same rank created. Lists seem to translate decently between guilds.) Below I'll list steps for finding items to put on your list, and then a few sample lists I've made that seem to work.

Note: Once you have enough items on your list, you can stop going through these steps. The best ones are at the top. Also, while you should put yourself in a state in which you'll do your best foraging, do not accept any outside help. If you do not have the wolf scent spell, creating your list with it cast on you may mean that you have to hunt down someone with the spell to cast it on you every time you want to practice foraging, just to find some of the items. Therefore, it's a much better idea to only use what you personally can do for yourself.

1. Find a general area to forage in and figure out what you can forage there. I've found http://www.olwydd.org/herbs/index.php to be a good website for finding where foragables are located. Some lists may work in multiple places, usually another place of the same climate as the place you design the list for, but as location has a big impact, you should design your list for the area you want to practice foraging.

2. Go through the items you can find in the room, trying to forage each one carefully. Any item that takes more than 10 seconds to forage carefully should be on your list. Items that take 15 seconds are ideal.

3. Try to collect items, putting any that that give you a roundtime of more than 30 seconds to find on your list. Also, any items that you can forage carefully, but cannot collect should be on your list.

4. Collect a pile of something you find very easy to forage. Count the number of items in the pile. Add any items of which you collected a pile of fewer of than are in this 'easy pile' to the list. (Example: You can collect a pile of grass with six tufts of grass in it. If you can only create a pile of five nemoih roots, put nemoih roots on your list.)

5. Finally, add any items which you can forage, but not every time you try to your list. Note that these should be items you may not always find even when in your best state, not that you can forage it when you're healthy, but not with a missing hand.

Now a few sample lists for various ranks. The ones for lower ranks are less ideal than higher ranks, and the best luck I've had using options besides foraging carefully has been getting the mind up to muddled. These lists were all designed for the road northeastwards out the East Gate of Riverhaven.

My personal list: ebony stick, elm stick, oak stick, willow stick, ebony limb, elm limb, oak limb, willow limb. I have approximately 140 ranks in foraging, and an empath with about 125 ranks also found my list to work quite well for her. I can lock my mind in approximately 7 minutes by repeating this list.

For a ranger of about 80 ranks: ash stick, birch stick, fir stick, spruce stick, ash limb, birch limb, fir limb, spruce limb. He got to perplexed after about three run throughs of the list.

For a ranger of about 40 ranks: jadice flower, stem, georin grass, limb, log, vine, weed, red flower, blue flower. I don't know how well it taught him, but he seemed happy with it, as was a non-ranger of approximately 35 ranks.

For an empath of about 10 ranks: berries, branch, wood chip, bread crumb, grass, leaf, rock, stick, twig, dirt. She had problems learning as well as the above but the percents seemed to go by, so it's probably more a result of learning so quick at these ranks than the list being inapproriate. A young bard of about the same rank tried the list as well, and could not collect berries or dirt, but otherwise had about the luck with learning, if not quite as good.

Roleplaying Info-
www.geocities.com/ymtemi

Been Missing Me?-
www.geocities.com/ymtemi/tsarenzi
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/05/2003 09:48 AM CST
Heh,

I knew you were smart Tsarenzi ;p . Right now I can go from clear to ML (at 66 ranks forage and 18 in all mentals)foraging the same thing carefully in three sets of twenty, just pausing to cast compost after each set. So thats basically in ten minutes. Have been foraging the same item carefully since about 44 lessons in foraging and thats tree roots.

Does changing items really make that big of a difference? I mean as in using a list of 6 as you are suggesting. Just asking because I have noticed that it is about time for me to move up from tree roots.

Thanks and see ya by the tent I am sure,
Terracha
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/05/2003 11:31 AM CST
>I knew you were smart Tsarenzi ;p . Right now I can go from clear to ML (at 66 ranks forage and 18 in all mentals)foraging the same thing carefully in three sets of twenty, just pausing to cast compost after each set. So thats basically in ten minutes. Have been foraging the same item carefully since about 44 lessons in foraging and thats tree roots.

Off a wall I'm locking in 2 - 2.5 sets of the same routine using oak sticks, ebony limbs or ebony sticks or old buttons, with foraging now at 178. Funny thing I seem to be noticing is old buttons which take 5 more seconds per forage seem to move perception better than sticks. So while I take longer to get foraging ML I end up learning more perception as a payback.

I suspect you could drop your number of sets by finding a harder item you can forage carefully.

Arrys
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/05/2003 09:06 PM CST
Here is the Abolof Method of Foragin'.

1. Aquire list ranked by Jent
2 Breakdown into 4 aplhabetical groups. )
3 Think chinese menu
4. Forage each section completely. I do 2 w/forage
5 Refer to #3
6 Of what I find in that room at that time I make a script foraging for the 5 most difficult "found" items.
7 Run that script in that room everytime I'm there until my fingers bleed.

Right now i forage by ;bins <---script #1
;buckets <---script #2
;barrels <---script #3
My list includes Alder Ash Birch Spruce in limbs, sticks and piles. 113.? ranks that M-L ran twice.

That works for me, Abolof

" Set your goals in life low and revel in your mediocrity " Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbs "
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/07/2003 08:11 AM CST
<<<Does changing items really make that big of a difference? I mean as in using a list of 6 as you are suggesting. Just asking because I have noticed that it is about time for me to move up from tree roots.>>>

I found this a rather interesting question, so I did some experiments, and yes, the number of items makes a significant difference. I started out with a full list of ten hard enough items, and cleared my mind of all foraging learning with a favor orb. Then I foraged through the list repeatedly for a full five minutes. After that, I cleared my mind again and repeated with 9 items, and so on, all the way down to only 1 item. After each 5 minute session, checked to see how well I was learning, and here are the results:

Foraging: 142 17% bewildering (10 items)
Foraging: 142 19% bewildering (9 items)
Foraging: 142 20% bewildering (8 items)
Foraging: 142 21% perplexed (7 items)
Foraging: 142 21% perplexed (6 items)
Foraging: 142 22% perplexing (5 items)
Foraging: 142 22% perplexing (4 items)
Foraging: 142 23% perplexing (3 items)
Foraging: 142 24% very muddled (2 items)
Foraging: 142 24% muddled (1 item)

After that, I also checked once to see how adding in items that are too easy affected learning. I created a list of five hard enough items and one extra easy item (a rock) and repeated the experiment. The result was: Foraging: 142 32% perplexing (5 items + 1 easy item). So, it appears you either don't gain any benefit from adding in the extra item, or it actually hurts your learning. May do more experiments on the topic later, but I think this is enough for now.

Hope this helps you figure out how you want to create your own list. Again, feel free to quiz me incessantly on anything you still need help with about it. I love questions!

Tsarenzi

Roleplaying Info-
www.geocities.com/ymtemi

Been Missing Me?-
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/07/2003 08:20 AM CST
Thank you Tsarenzi,

Very nice and well written. Lots of good information to take into account. Seems like you were right on in your previous post.

Terracha
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/08/2003 07:17 AM CST
Thanks for the info. That is good stuff. The problem for me is finding the room where I can forage 10 items.

Ranger Aeclydis
~ Order of the Crystal Wolf
~ Langenfirth, Therengia
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 05:19 AM CST
On a side note to this foraging thing just thought I'd pass on a little info for you rangers near Haven. Just Ne of the ranger tent you can still find Yelith root, I personally only have mid 70's in foraging and can find it during the summer, daylight, and few clouds in the sky;) If you all knew that well, pass on the info since Yelith seems to be hard to find on the mainland.

Kryllok and others
<This space for rent>
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 06:46 AM CST
I actually did a little dance when I found it there myself!
Now if I could just find it on Aesry...

>Lucerella stares intently at a crust-covered ironwood chest, making sure it doesn't escape.
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 07:03 AM CST
I heard from someone first hand who found yelith in the Aesry Meadowlands (housing area up on the third tier, south side, I believe) but couldn't find any myself as when I checked it was winter.

Tsarenzi

Roleplaying Info-
www.geocities.com/ymtemi

Been Missing Me?-
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 10:52 AM CST
Yeah on aesry on the southeast side of town I found it in one of the housing areas.

Still searching for the root in Zoluren proper however. Closest I've found is sothern therengia along the North Road below crocs. If anyone knows of a supply closer to crossing I'ld apreciate hearing of it.

Think I've searched everywhere cept leth side, ogres and crossing possibly missing a few small areas like old bellirendiks manor etc which I'll be stopping by as I remember them.

Arthe garden seems to have resupplied many herbs since the last adjustment report. It's got 90% of what you need around crossing.

Midtown circle in crossing is also a good spot for several herbs.

Arrys
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 02:31 PM CST
>>Closest I've found is sothern therengia along the North Road below crocs. If anyone knows of a supply closer to crossing I'ld apreciate hearing of it.

Actually, that's not too far if you run the trail. I used to run the trail, swim to Haven, and stock up there, bringing some extra to donate to the young empaths.

LE = [You're near death, incredibly balanced and overwhelming opponent.]
Re: How to Learn Foraging 12/11/2003 02:52 PM CST
>Actually, that's not too far if you run the trail. I used to run the trail, swim to Haven, and stock up there, bringing some extra to donate to the young empaths.

Yeah, but when your a lt in the zoluren military facing a war situation with velmix's tower there and the gorbesh fort fallen you can't assume you will retain access to such, and you certainly can't have an empath collect it for the effort once hostilities really heat up assuming the Baron doesn't get upset of zolurenites taking therengian herbs.

But yeah step off the trail forage yelith and go home does make it pretty easy for rangers.

Looking at env factors room descriptions I think goblin area should be coded similarly but maybe it's to dry cause no luck there.

Arrys
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/01/2004 02:38 PM CST
Okay I wrote a script using Tsarenzi's way of training foraging.

Probably could be fixed to be less bulky.

#Foraging for 6 things

Empty:
pause
put forage careful %1
match empty ...wait
match empty You wander
match empty you are sure
match empty you are certain
match empty can't quite seem
match empty find something dead
match empty better luck trying
match empty Searching and searching
match Dump You manage to find a
match Dump You manage to find some
match Drop You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump:
pause 1
put put %1 in bucket
match empty2 You drop
match dump ...wait
match dump2 I could not
matchwait

dump2:
pause 1
put put %1 in bin
match empty2 You drop
match dump2 ...wait
match dump3 I could not
matchwait

Dump3:
pause 1
put put %1 in hollow
match empty2 You drop
match dump3 ...wait
match drop I could not
matchwait

Drop:
pause 1
put drop %1
goto empty2

Empty2:
pause
put forage careful %2
match empty2 ...wait
match empty2 You wander
match empty2 you are sure
match empty2 you are certain
match empty2 can't quite seem
match empty2 find something dead
match empty2 better luck trying
match empty2 Searching and searching
match Dump4 You manage to find a
match Dump4 You manage to find some
match Drop2 You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty2 You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump4:
pause 1
put put %2 in bucket
match empty3 You drop
match dump4 ...wait
match dump5 I could not
matchwait

dump5:
pause 1
put put %2 in bin
match empty3 You drop
match dump5 ...wait
match dump6 I could not
matchwait

Dump6:
pause 1
put put %2 in hollow
match empty3 You drop
match dump6 ...wait
match drop2 I could not
matchwait

Drop2:
pause 1
put drop %2
goto empty3

Empty3:
pause
put forage careful %3
match empty3 ...wait
match empty3 You wander
match empty3 you are sure
match empty3 you are certain
match empty3 can't quite seem
match empty3 find something dead
match empty3 better luck trying
match empty3 Searching and searching
match Dump7 You manage to find a
match Dump7 You manage to find some
match Drop7 You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty3 You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump7:
pause 1
put put %3 in bucket
match empty4 You drop
match dump7 ...wait
match dump7a I could not
matchwait

dump7a:
pause 1
put put %3 in bin
match empty4 You drop
match dump7a ...wait
match dump7b I could not
matchwait

Dump7b:
pause 1
put put %3 in hollow
match empty4 You drop
match dump7b ...wait
match drop7 I could not
matchwait

Drop7:
pause 1
put drop %3
goto empty4

Empty4:
pause
put forage careful %4
match empty4 ...wait
match empty4 You wander
match empty4 you are sure
match empty4 you are certain
match empty4 can't quite seem
match empty4 find something dead
match empty4 better luck trying
match empty4 Searching and searching
match Dump8 You manage to find a
match Dump8 You manage to find some
match Drop8 You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty4 You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump8:
pause 1
put put %4 in bucket
match empty5 You drop
match dump8 ...wait
match dump8a I could not
matchwait

dump8a:
pause 1
put put %4 in bin
match empty5 You drop
match dump8a ...wait
match dump8b I could not
matchwait

Dump8b:
pause 1
put put %4 in hollow
match empty5 You drop
match dump8b ...wait
match drop8 I could not
matchwait

Drop8:
pause 1
put drop %4
goto empty5

Empty5:
pause
put forage careful %5
match empty5 ...wait
match empty5 You wander
match empty5 you are sure
match empty5 you are certain
match empty5 can't quite seem
match empty5 find something dead
match empty5 better luck trying
match empty5 Searching and searching
match Dump9 You manage to find a
match Dump9 You manage to find some
match Drop9 You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty5 You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump9:
pause 1
put put %5 in bucket
match empty6 You drop
match dump9 ...wait
match dump9a I could not
matchwait

dump9a:
pause 1
put put %5 in bin
match empty6 You drop
match dump9a ...wait
match dump9b I could not
matchwait

Dump9b:
pause 1
put put %5 in hollow
match empty6 You drop
match dump9b ...wait
match drop9 I could not
matchwait

Drop9:
pause 1
put drop %5
goto empty6

Empty6:
pause
put forage careful %6
match empty6 ...wait
match empty6 You wander
match empty6 you are sure
match empty6 you are certain
match empty6 can't quite seem
match empty6 find something dead
match empty6 better luck trying
match empty6 Searching and searching
match Dump10 You manage to find a
match Dump10 You manage to find some
match Drop10 You really need to have at least one hand free to forage properly.
match empty6 You forage around but are unable to find anything.
matchwait

Dump10:
pause 1
put put %6 in bucket
match empty You drop
match dump10 ...wait
match dump10a I could not
matchwait

dump10a:
pause 1
put put %6 in bin
match empty You drop
match dump10a ...wait
match dump10b I could not
matchwait

Dump10b:
pause 1
put put %6 in hollow
match empty You drop
match dump10b ...wait
match drop10 I could not
matchwait

Drop10:
pause 1
put drop %6
goto empty

Peperic Timarson, a Ranger, all around nice guy and occasional board bully.
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/01/2004 04:51 PM CST
Don't forget 'too cluttered' and 'Your raccoon scampers off,' for your matches. Also, although I haven't closely examined your unloading system, but could you save space by making your %1 be the 'dump' container or ground?

Zenayda

You wanted suggestions here, right? ~fidgets

;)
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 07:03 AM CST
Like many of my scripts this was built on another script. I found what worked and kept it! The orginal design of this script was for part of another script. I cut that match table out and then did the dump parts. Your idea would work sure, but for my usage I prefer to code in all the variables I can so I have to type out the least amount when I am iniating the script. Yeah yeah, lazy. I do need to add the raccoon one since I am usually "training" foraging with Sprout out. (If I lose this one they are just going to be numbers) Vary rarely do I train foraging in a room without a bin/hollow/bucket. Good points though.

Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 09:49 AM CST
I went from the other end, with four line scripts and then studied what other people were doing to get more complex. I would never be brave enough to actually post one of mine, so you are miles ahead of me. That said, I do enjoy my variables.

Zenayda

.for "in that sleeping paladin's backpack" rock dirt feather branch strawberry toadstool
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 12:29 PM CST
Even simpler if you just start off with empty hands. Then instead of worrying about what all messaging to trap, you just trap for roundtime or the "...wait" message and do a GLANCE or INV HANDS after the forage and see if your hands are still empty or not. ;-)

That and instead of writing all those routine, you could use just one routine and after each successfull forage use SHIFT to eliminate %1 and move the rest of the parameters down a slot. use "if_1 goto <label>" at the end to keep it looping as long as targets remain.

note: I had to add a space in a few places to prevent the boards from taking out my _ characters and italicizing the text instead ... make sure you remove them if you use this; it's not perfect, it's just for demonstration purposes

# revised version

; change the "na" in the following line to the name of a container if there's one available for dumping
save na
goto loop_check

loop_it _p:
pause 1

loop_it:
put forage %1
match loop_it _p ...wait
match hand_check roundtime
matchwait

hand_check:
put inv hands
match loop_it You are holding nothing.
match dump_it _%s You are holding a
match dump_it _%s You are holding some
matchwait

dump_it _na:
put drop my %1
goto next_loop

labelError:
put put my %1 in %s

next_loop:
shift

loop_check:
if_1 goto loop_it
exit

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
"Goblins ... aisle 6, Mycthengelde ... hunt smart, hunt S-Mart!"
"You whine like a mule ... you are still alive!"
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 12:34 PM CST
>>but could you save space by making your %1 be the 'dump' container or ground?

If you do that, make sure you use these lines:

save %1
shift

... and put a %s (%s contains whatever you put there with SAVE ... in the Wizard, make sure to enclose any multi-word text in quotes, just like using multi-word parameters) instead of %1 where you put the container. You can only call the first 9 parameters using %1-%9 and the whole line using %0, but the parameter line is capable of holding a very large number of paramters, I have used as many as 50 and I can still access them all as long as I SHIFT my way down the line to bring them into the %1-%9 range.

To see this at work, try running this little script:

# parameter test

loop:
echo * %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
shift
if_9 goto loop
exit

... and run it using this command:

.par-test 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

And see what happens. ;-)

~~~Krin
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 12:42 PM CST
Thanks Krin, I wasn't sure how to do the shift thing. Now I think I understand and maybe now I can do my scripts without all the extra copy/pasted match tables.

The one downside to this way is that if your raccoon runs and gets it, its not in your hands, but you should go to the next item.

Does having your raccoon go and get the item teach? Anyone got any idea? I can test tonight, need to fill up the orb anyway, dying wayyyy too much.

Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 01:24 PM CST
OK, wasn't sure on that, my wolf isn't usually with me while I'm on a foraging binge. Would be easy enough to add one more MATCH to trap that. Like I said, not perfect, was just something I threw together quick to demonstrate some basic principles that make scripts much more compact when you use them (notice the labelError I used to simulate having an IF...THEN statment? goes even beyond that with the addition of another trick or two ... not that I care anymore, Genie has an actual IF...THEN statement that makes it SO much easier).

Would also need additional traps since sometimes you get an error message trying to drop an item using the same name you foraged it with. Wierd, but it's there.

~~~Krin
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/02/2004 05:42 PM CST
When your raccoon finds an item for you, I believe it does teach as if you had found the item yourself, which is very nice. However, my knowledge on this is just based on what others have said about it, as I have no raccoon.

Tsarenzi

Roleplaying Info-
www.geocities.com/ymtemi

Been Missing Me?-
Re: How to Learn Foraging 01/06/2004 08:42 AM CST
Seems to be that way, Tsarenzi... I know I locked foraging finding ebony sticks for a Bardess friend of mine on Ratha without getting one myself, little Jitters Jr. found em all for me. <g>

-Treshan

* Treshan was just skinned alive and then struck down!
>Shakahn comes out of hiding.
>Shakahn picks up a trophy Treshan skin.
Foraging 11/07/2004 11:04 AM CST
Not really a new player, but this is the first time I've been back since the Foraging changes. I have about 13 ranks of foraging. I have tried the advice I've seen to forage careful for the most difficult thing you can find, but it seems like the most difficult thing I can find with careful, I can also find with just normal forage, so it doesn't seem like careful does, or should, teach more.

Going off the list from Jent...I've been able to find stems and grungy feathers, but have not been able to find things near on the list above it (corn, limbs, logs) in any of the spots where they are suppose to be, using careful. My foraging will occasionally get to pondering, but mostly sits on thoughtful and moves up very slowly. This is the pace I remember from back in the pre-corn days, but I was kinda hoping the new system would at least be a little better than that :)

So any tips?
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 11:15 AM CST
Different items can be found in different places. Keep in mind that wounds, weather, and time play a huge role in determining what you can forage. As well as the season.

If forage <item> careful doesn't work for you, there is another pattern I use for all of my foraging chars (read most that I have total). That is Forage (item 1) twice, collect (item 1), forage (item 2) twice, collect (item 2) and so on until I run out of items that I can forage. Then go back to the beginning.

Ryeka and the brood

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 11:16 AM CST
<<>>I have tried the advice I've seen to forage careful for the most difficult thing you can find, but it seems like the most difficult thing I can find with careful, I can also find with just normal forage, so it doesn't seem like careful does, or should, teach more.

I may have this wrong, so if I'm corrected, listen to the older, wiser Rangers, but . . . I think foraging with careful makes your search more difficult. Therefore, it is natural that you would be able to find, foraging normally, anything you could also forage carefully. However, the careful forage teaches more, so you should forage carefully the hardest thing you can find foraging carefully.

Even using this method, with 13 ranks of foraging, you won't find that foraging moves very quickly. I've found with younger characters that foraging a variety of items moves it better. Try grass, sticks, roots, leaves, dirt, rocks, feathers, and several other things, alternating. It might move faster for you.

_______
Llyldoryn
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 11:30 AM CST
Thanks, from filtering through the other help topic...didn't realize there was two heh, I think you're right about careful making it more difficult, which seems weird to me, but I can't find the original annoucement about new foraging so I dunno what the explanation of what careful and precise does was, assuming it wasn't pafo lol

I was thinking it was like disarm careful, but I guess it's not. I'll try doin the careful thing and see if it helps at all. Collect occasionally seems to yield results, but not often or consistently enough to be worth the roundtime. Did they get rid of the timers or are they still in place?

On another topic...I saw a post about there being some easier trails for youngsters, are any of them really easy trails or do you still have to have 35-50 ranks of scouting to find the first one?
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 11:48 AM CST
<<>>

IIRC, Forage Careful gives you an item with more parts (e.g., a six-part root instead of a four or five-part root), while Forage Precise gives you an item of greater potency (e.g., a better jadice flower). Or, it could be vice versa. Can't recall which is which.

As for trails, I have heard there was an easy trail in Haven, but I don't know where it is.

_______
Llyldoryn
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 12:07 PM CST
Thanks much. Tried foraging for the top few things I could find careful and it definitely picked up the pace of learning. I guess I just didn't forage careful enough times to notice any change before, since I was thinking it made the forage easier instead of harder and was tryin to get more difficult items with it.

I'm kinda meh on new combat, but so far I really like most of the other changes, well except for the fact that there only seems to be around 800 players in prime time...I mean I don't miss having to squabble over hunting areas like in the really crowded days, but feels weird to see that number dip below 1000 :/
Re: Foraging 11/07/2004 05:10 PM CST
As others have said, careful and precise make foraging harder, because their point is to look for better herbs. They both teach much much better than regular foraging. Careful will find a bit larger and more potent herbs than normal, and precise will find even larger and more potent herbs than careful. They're three different steps of a time for experience trade-off. I would also not suggest that anyone that has access to careful use the collect once, forage twice, forage til the minute's up method. This is a nice alternative for those who cannot use careful, but it's simply not as efficient as careful itself. Using careful, I would highly reccomend 6-10 different items that are at the upper end of your range. Also, make sure your hands and eyes are healed, and that you're kneeling. Better success means better learning.

Tsarenzi

Roleplaying Info-
http://www.geocities.com/ymtemi
Re: Foraging 11/08/2004 12:52 PM CST
Also, as an odd survivalish thing, foraged grungy feathers can be combined an are burnable. These could make a comfortable but smelly alternative to wood fires if you really need a fire.

Each feather only has one count.

sylviir

Kunstrukshun
Cignichur
Re: Foraging 11/08/2004 03:15 PM CST
You can also eat grungy feathers to get rid of them. I don't recommend doing this around others, unless you don't mind being thought a bit odd.

~Thilan

"Expanding before fortifying makes bad bridge design."
-From Hell
Foraging training 05/30/2008 07:46 AM CDT
Hey i got a question :D

I was always told i should forage careful the hardest item i could find... so far it has been working for me but now:

forage yew stick careful

You manage to find a yew stick.
Roundtime: 23 sec.

23 seconds... does it really teach twice as much as something with 11 or 12 seconds?

Am i better off foraging something a bit easier with less RT?

What do you guys suggest? Thanks :D
Re: Foraging training 05/30/2008 07:59 AM CDT
Something in the < 15 seconds is how I do it. I's throw up a big WS also (or whatever perc/forage booster you have access to). I'd say it's easy enough to test to make sure. Just forage from clear to levelX and time it for both an item that gives you ~12 second RT and the 20ish second yew stick. My guess is that old buttons or oak limbs will teach better/faster at that level.

~Hanryu Ves'Shomis
Sword of House Calibanor, Ambassador of the Ilithi Court, Emerald Knight, Keeper of the CEC, ... still a Ranger
http://www.kynevon.info/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Prev_page Previous 1