From a thread in Responses 08/17/2003 12:31 PM CDT
Thought I'd move my comments over here (and see if anyone reads here).

<<<It's just that hardly anyone even bothers to use it or experiment these days to see exactly what our wonderful GM's have had the foresight to make us ;-)>>>--Motarra

Maybe that's because there's a growing expectation that it will be fully documented (in multimedia) on a website somewhere with instant links provided anytime anyone asks...not saying that that would ever happen within the Ranger guild. <g> (Website owners, please read on before you the 'reply' button, I'm not dissing your sites.)

As for me, I'm praying that someday perhaps as much as 60% of P5 will be unmappable, except in the vaguest terms. Not that I object to maps, noun lists, and the like, but more that I think DR loses the opportunity for role play when 'too much' detailed information exists outside the game itself.

For instance, for my first ten forged weapons, I had to locate a smith or trader myself (no trader tables back then). That involved a lot of footwork and discovery (and I learned much in the journey along the way, experienced a few frustrations, and made a few friends).

Now you can visit websites that have a full catalog of what's available at what prices. Some even take orders. Convenient? Sure is. But rather impersonal...and there's nowhere near the same sense of accomplishment once you have the prize in hand...even if all you have to do now is wait for the right trader table and make a successful run with coin.

End result: I have an IC tale for EACH ONE of my weapons; those that web surf...well, they have a good weapon. To each their own, I suppose.

I'm not against information on web sites, but I do think that the people who rely "too heavily" (whatever that means) on them deprive themselves of the challange of networking and exploring within the game.

Too busy IRL to do that? Sure, I understand the need for a "crib note" here and there. Besides, not every aspect of game exploration is 'fun' to every person...especially when frustration mounts to the 'I'm quitting this dingle-fratted game' level.

But too lazy/indifferent IRL to do that? Man, you're missing out on the challenge, frustration, and sense of achievement that comes with interacting with the game on your own...especially with puzzles, 'ability testing,' and easter eggs.

Getting the answer 'to everything' before you even start is like reading a murder mystery backward, why bother? It's now just become an exercize in key entry...where's the challenge in that?

Those website 'truths' were discovered off the hard efforts of others...when you use 'em, you ought to be wondering what you have given your guild in return (be it teaching a novice, testing on your own, whatever).

Shendorian
(The things I could tell you about staying safe while capturing horses or when the herds appear...but won't unless you find me in game and role play it out. ::shrug:: No doubt that will end up on a website someday, too.)
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/17/2003 09:33 PM CDT
I understand where you're coming from, Shendorian, but you also have to understand for some of the rest it's a case of not seeing the reasoning behind "reinventing the wheel". When it's something the majority of the Realm already seems to know then it would likely make sense to already be a part of your character's "common knowledge" and those websites can fill that gap.

That still leaves plenty of undiscovered territory and challenges to face, it's all in what you look for.

~~~Krin
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/17/2003 10:55 PM CDT
I agree with Shendorian, also, too many rangers nowadays have really little to no knowledge of where they are.

More than any other guild, we're tied to the land, yet so many just really have no clue as to where they are specifically. Personally I blame Travel Scripts, too convenient. Get to zoom all over the land without stopping and actually knowing where your going first hand.

For example, how many of us know where all those RTMs are actually placed? How many just KNOW and can walk to them blind, and walk from where they leave off blind. Not many I'd bet.

shrugs I definately think we need to start getting back to basics and KNOWING the land, otherwise, we'll prolly find in the future alot less effort going into designing said land.

And this isn't something a GM can code or design a system around, its up to each individual player to do so.

So I ask again, Who's willing to give up travel scripts with me?

Tusca

Do you take me for a fool?
Do you think that I don't see?
That ditch out in the valley,
That they digging just for me.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/17/2003 11:03 PM CDT
>>shrugs I definately think we need to start getting back to basics and KNOWING the land, otherwise, we'll prolly find in the future alot less effort going into designing said land.

The word "definitely" does not have a letter "a" in it.

Xelten Tyrsin

Jent says, "You should train leather."
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/17/2003 11:15 PM CDT
<< The word "definitely" does not have a letter "a" in it.

What I lack in spelling, I make up for with exceptional powers of deductive reasoning.

Tusca - stealing again!

Do you take me for a fool?
Do you think that I don't see?
That ditch out in the valley,
That they digging just for me.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 12:44 AM CDT
<<So I ask again, Who's willing to give up travel scripts with me?>>

Dear Neighbor Tusca,

I have never had a travel script, maybe that's a sign of the future?

Lyr, 27th circle
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 09:17 AM CDT
I know where every single trail starts and ends and I don't use a travel script to get to any of them, reason being that I can move faster than a travel script with the keypad and I don't have any time to waste!

-Teeklin Tessenoak, Proud Ranger of Elanthia

"Resist. Unlearn. Defy." - Incubus
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 09:25 AM CDT
The only travel script I use is the script from the NE gate to the ferry to haven. I only use it when I have my raccoon out or can't use the trails. First time I go some place new I look around, just to see what's out there, unless I know I can get killed (like on the way to horse clan)

Pep, Ranger in training.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 10:32 AM CDT
>So I ask again, Who's willing to give up travel scripts with me?

Deleted mine the day the trails were released.

Jalika
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 11:34 AM CDT
>So I ask again, Who's willing to give up travel scripts with me? -Tusca

Sorry, Tusca, I can't give them up "with you"... but I'm there in spirit!

I haven't used a travel script since my early days of DR, when I had trouble finding out where Arthe Dale was. Once I had an idea of my surroundings, the travel scripts got dumped- and I personally frown upon anyone who uses them for purposes of laziness and not just being new to an area. I may not have seen everything in every room DR has to offer, but I know how to find my way around without typing ".crossingtohaven".

As for how many trails I know how to follow blindly, I can readily admit I know about 33% of them. But those 33% are the only ones I use. If you asked me to direct you to a Shard trailmarker, or the one that goes to Knife Clan, for instance, I'd be completely clueless.

I also admit to use of one travel script: Stair climbing in Aesry. ;)

--Quelgash.

Where am I going?
And why am I in this handbasket?
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 11:37 AM CDT
Leave my travel scripts alone. I explore when I want to. I move fast when I want to. That doesn't make me any less of a Ranger, and if you think so, tough.

~Dulcinia

"The space between the tears we cry is the laughter keeps us coming back for more."
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 12:01 PM CDT
>That doesn't make me any less of a Ranger, and if you think so, tough. -Dulcinia

And since when did you think I cared what anyone thought of my opinion? blink

Why'd you even bother posting, anyway? Guilty conscience? ;)

Oh, and travel scripts don't make you less of a Ranger. Characters don't script, players do. Thus, travel scripts make players lazy, not Rangers less Rangerly. And THAT, once again, is MY opinion. It's not gospel. It's not Ranger code. It's not GM decree. You can't change my mind. So do us both a favor, stop taking offense, and go back to Rangering, like I'm about to do. If you decide that my personal opinions are so important that you need to continue harping on them following this post, please take it to conflicts where I can ignore it properly. This doesn't belong in this folder anyway.

--Quelgash.

Where am I going?
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 12:31 PM CDT
Wasn't directing that toward you, Quelgash.

<stare>

~Dulcinia

"The space between the tears we cry is the laughter keeps us coming back for more."
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 12:51 PM CDT
That's why you're supposed to quote the post you're replying to... otherwise you risk offending the wrong person.

Now stop staring and get back to giggling!

--Quelgash.

Where am I going?
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 12:57 PM CDT
Gahhh..

You people don't know where to post. Where is Falk to direct traffic??

Pep, Ranger in training.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 01:31 PM CDT
>><stare>~Dulcinia<<

Carebear stare!

Da Not So Madd Webba

Ebonics 101

1)Playahata (n) - One who offers truthful constructive criticism that is in opposition to popular opinion or the status quo.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 01:44 PM CDT
>Thus, travel scripts make players lazy, not Rangers less Rangerly

Lazy, in some cases. But also saves the wrists some pain for some of us. For me, i used to use them cause I was lazy.

Now I have to move a whole room on my own from the gate before hopping a trail to get to haven's ferry. I work so hard. =)

Jalika
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 02:48 PM CDT
>>Carebear stare!

Carebears, share! Is it not?

>>Travel Scripts
Aside from the stairs on Aesry, what kind of ninny needs a travel script? I agree with Teeklin... the keypad is much faster.

Xelten Tyrsin

Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 07:32 PM CDT
<<Aside from the stairs on Aesry

Also my only travel script.

Sylvado

"It's not the destinations in life that give us satisfaction, it is the journeys"
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 07:43 PM CDT
A bit off topic, but..are the stairs the only place to train climbing on Aesry?

If so, could someone share their stair climbing script? And what do they teach to?

Pep, Ranger in training.
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 08:02 PM CDT
The stairs don't teach me hardly at all with 150 climb, but I can lock on a single run up and down the La'ta cliffs. Hit me up when you get to Aesry and I'll give you all my Aesry scripts. (Funny enough, the only travel scripts that I use are my Aesry ones!)

Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 09:17 PM CDT
<<but..are the stairs the only place to train climbing on Aesry>>

No, there are plenty of places to work climbing on Aesry, pretty muich everywhre you go you have to climb.

~ Wrynkler
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/18/2003 09:21 PM CDT
#La'tami cliff climbing, start at the base

move cli ledge
move cli ledge
move cli rock
move n
move cli perch
move cli shelf
move cli crevice
move go tunnel
move cli ledge
move cli crevice
move cli hole
move cli top
move cli hole
move cli crevice
move cli down
move cli down
move go tunnel
move cli down
move cli shelf
move cli down
move s
move cli ledge
move cli ledge
move cli down

-Sarvatt's player
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/19/2003 02:16 AM CDT
Uh folks, what do you think you are doing? Take the conversations to the proper folders.

Ruklor Dar'io
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/19/2003 09:36 AM CDT
Sometimes (at least to me) it IS useful to know what is behind the way something is done. Why does the dragon poem let you be led by a ranger from snowies and gargs to that big keep where you can hunt the vykathi? I use that poem every now and then but have no idea why it came about.

Everyone should stop every now and then and not automate things. I will occasionally not use a travel script and see if I can still get from one place to another. However, I always make my own travel scripts so end up traveling from point A to point B a lot anyway. It is a good way to see what is around you and how things relate. There are a LOT of cool fauna and flora (most you can pick) on the route from Shard to Horse Clan. There are things you can see or hear if you stay in one spot for just one minute. Sometimes you have to stay longer..maybe three minutes. There are some pretty cool places where you can just enjoy sounds, sights, smells, etc.

I won't give up travel scripts but, like I said, I don't use 'em on occasion for different reasons. One reason is that I have, lately, been making my travel scripts so that you don't have to be in the exact room of a 'main location'. You can be close and it will do a look and move you from your location if its known in the script. I usually go about three rooms in every compass direction from a main location. Yeah, that sounds lazy but I enjoy making scripts

>travel scripts make players lazy

<laughs a hearty and long laugh>
You won't see the above too often from me.
Don't presume to know what ONE thing can mean about a person/character/whatever.

>Aside from the stairs on Aesry, what kind of ninny needs a travel script?
I guess I'm a ninny.
Yet, I haven't made a climbing travel script though it would be real handy(mainland and island la'tamis especially). I still prefer to look and/or go off of memory.

>I agree with Teeklin... the keypad is much faster.

Didn't this debate come up once before?
The keypad isn't faster. It will be either the same speed or slower than a script but not faster because there is always the possibility of human error.

sylviir

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/19/2003 03:31 PM CDT
>>The keypad isn't faster. It will be either the same speed or slower than a script but not faster because there is always the possibility of human error.

Wanna race?

Re: From a thread in Responses 08/19/2003 07:42 PM CDT
Keypad is far faster, especially if it is not laggy, you have the premium extra type ahead line, and you know exactly which directions you need to press.

Xelten Tyrsin

Re: From a thread in Responses 08/20/2003 01:45 AM CDT
Last chance to get it on topic.

Ruklor Dar'io
Re: From a thread in Responses 08/20/2003 03:20 PM CDT
Nudging to Gen. Discussions

sylviir...click on the website below and vote to see some mudd.

Don't forget to vote DR as the number one mud.
http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=drealms