SK 12/04/2018 06:11 AM CST
I feel like I'm not understanding the point of this spell.

Is it a one time use 'instant aim' each time you cast it? It seems like trading spell prep for aim isn't a winning time-battle?
Re: SK 12/04/2018 06:27 AM CST
>>Is it a one time use 'instant aim' each time you cast it? It seems like trading spell prep for aim isn't a winning time-battle?

Poor wording on my part. "First strikes" refers to shots you fire at different targets for the first time. The spell stays on you.

GM Grejuva
Re: SK 12/04/2018 07:21 AM CST
Oh. That's a bit better.

Is it first shot, or first damage? So if I wing it with a punch I still get fast aim? Or if I wiff my first shot entirely, does the second get fast aim (on the same target)?
Re: SK 12/05/2018 01:10 PM CST

Is SK working properly for crossbows? Each time I have tried, it substantially reduced the usually impact of the hit.
Re: SK 12/05/2018 03:02 PM CST
>>Is it first shot, or first damage? So if I wing it with a punch I still get fast aim? Or if I wiff my first shot entirely, does the second get fast aim (on the same target)?

First aim. If you don't fire or if you fire slowly enough to not benefit from the spell, though, you get another chance.

>>Is SK working properly for crossbows? Each time I have tried, it substantially reduced the usually impact of the hit.

What creature were you fighting?

GM Grejuva
Re: SK 12/06/2018 09:32 AM CST
Reduced aim time is nice, gives some love to bows. Tested in on Celpz and it was fun. Short aim lasting until you get the benefit of it as opposed to only the first aim is nice. Often times I'm arranging/skinning during first shot, which means the second shot is getting the benefit.

Some thoughts:
- I really like the spell and will pick it up when it comes out.
- I did notice that some shots seemed as if they were unaimed. It wasn't consistent but anecdotally happened more often than I'm used to.
- I love the love for bows--all aimed weapons, but really bows--and it makes hunting them feel better/faster.
- Would it be possible to let the benefit scale for follow-up shots? Maybe have it somewhere between full reduction and full aim for the second shot, and then between that and full for the third? In an era without one-shot kills, unless you're under hunting you'll still be waiting around for an aim timer more often than not.
- I'm not a fan of the short duration, but that's personal preference and not necessarily a problem with the spell.
- I am still salty that bow damaged was scaled based on the assumption of dual loading, which effectively made them kind of bad for non-rainjers/barbs. I'd hate to see a repeat of that exercise.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: SK 12/06/2018 11:09 AM CST

Germish, south of Leth. Full aim. Usually, I get devastating hits or the like each time. With SK, the first hit was repeatedly glancing. Maybe that was just bad luck, but it happened each time, and that seems strange.
Re: SK 12/06/2018 11:17 AM CST
Because of one of the aforementioned easter eggs, shots affected by this spell are going to be particularly bad against celpeze. Germish'din should be fine, though. I'll observe in game.

>>Would it be possible to let the benefit scale for follow-up shots?

Probably not. It is very potent at the high end.

>>I am still salty that bow damaged was scaled based on the assumption of dual loading, which effectively made them kind of bad for non-rainjers/barbs. I'd hate to see a repeat of that exercise.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that bows might end up nerfed because of SK?

GM Grejuva
Re: SK 12/06/2018 11:39 AM CST
Thank you for the responses.

>I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that bows might end up nerfed because of SK?

Yes, that is my concern. I operate under the possibly faulty assumption that the precedent was set with dual-loading and bow/TM DPS.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: SK 12/08/2018 12:20 PM CST

I'm finding that SK appears to reduce the effectiveness of full aim on black apes. My first arrow was consistently a 'heavy strike' with SK. Without SK it was generally 'powerful / awesome'. It also would take four arrows to kill the ape with SK active as opposed to three without.

Zephyria
Re: SK 12/08/2018 12:30 PM CST

I was using a mistwood battle longbow for the test.
Re: SK 12/08/2018 02:39 PM CST
Okay, I see what was happening. Just made a couple tweaks:

- The special shot can no longer be bad against any creature, unlike what I previously mentioned.
- The special shot should now always be at least as damaging as a regular shot.

Also, just so that everyone knows what to look forward to... This spell can reduce aim time to 1 second.

GM Grejuva
Re: SK 12/08/2018 03:20 PM CST

I retested after the changes and got great results. It consistently took only three shots to kill the apes and the first strike was at a minimum 'vicious' and ranged all the way up to 'earth-shattering'.

I got some interesting messaging on the aim and will have some fun figuring out if the message is any indication of the success of the following shot.

Thanks for the quick response!

Zephyria
Re: SK 12/10/2018 10:17 PM CST
Hey Grejuva,

My quick observations:

With bows, every aim had the SK messaging, really nice hits with dual load sniping.

With slings, every aim had the SK messaging but never saw a first hit higher than a heavy hit.

With crossbow, more specifically weathered stonebow, only the first aim had the SK messaging and 1 second aim timer. Additional aimed shots did not generate the messaging. First shot Damage seemed to only generate extremely heavy or powerful hits.

All combats test had my capped STW, SOTT, SKS, EM and CS, and using only snipe on malchata.

-Kivi
Re: SK 12/13/2018 02:33 AM CST
Hey Grejuva,

Another interesting quirk while wearing an MT eye color changing ring. When first cast, I get MT-ring eye color eye and the wild sylvan hue. After SK goes away, it goes to ring colored eye and normal non-MT eye color.

Any chance you can make it go back to the pre-SK eye color for both eyes?

Thanks!
-Kivi
Re: SK 12/13/2018 02:51 AM CST
>>Any chance you can make it go back to the pre-SK eye color for both eyes?

I'll see what I can do.

GM Grejuva