Awaken Forest 05/02/2018 02:46 PM CDT

Been testing AF and PLS. Discern states that the forest spawn will "battle anyone and anything nearby." However, while they will battle bone wolves and zombies and strike them, spawn will engage moss meys, but not strike them. Was this intended?

Also, Elanthipedia states that the spawn will "despawn" if the caster attacks the spawn, but that does not appear to be true if the attack is magical. Instead, magical attacks have no effect, despite a "hit" message.
Re: Awaken Forest 05/02/2018 03:40 PM CDT
>>However, while they will battle bone wolves and zombies and strike them, spawn will engage moss meys, but not strike them. Was this intended?

The meys are incorporeal, so yes.

>>Also, Elanthipedia states that the spawn will "despawn" if the caster attacks the spawn, but that does not appear to be true if the attack is magical.

I'll take a look, though that may not even be necessary anymore.

GM Grejuva
Re: Awaken Forest 05/02/2018 10:41 PM CDT
Hey Grejuva,

Is it too late to make Awaken Forest not a cyclic? I think most hunting rangers would rather use CS or BES since the stat buffs and other effects are too great to pass up.

Albeit, I haven't been on Test to try it out, I feel if left as a cyclic-it will continue to be a novelty spell.

Thanks for showing the ranger guild some attention.

-KD
Re: Awaken Forest 05/03/2018 01:43 AM CDT
>>Is it too late to make Awaken Forest not a cyclic?

It is a requirement for full-uptime, non-Necromancer combat pets. The only way maybe would be to return the cooldown, but that seemed to be what many Rangers disliked most about the spell.

GM Grejuva
Re: Awaken Forest 05/03/2018 08:24 AM CDT
>Cyclic v. Cool Down

Having tested it out quite a bit yesterday, this is not going to be an everyday trainer spell. It teaches TM very poorly and of course if the critters are attacking the spawn you aren't learning defenses. It is tank-y beyond belief and will do a great job wrecking things well below your level of TM. The way I see it this will be a niche spell for use in invasions where you outrank the targets (particularly if they are undead) and as a better option than BOON (lol boon) when mining and lumberjacking in areas with creatures. This isn't going to be a ranger's go-to spell and I'm ok with that.

I'm done with all our cool stuff coming from a tert skill set. I'm glad some problems with AF were addressed, but I'm ready for Ranger dev to ignore magic for a long time and focus on cool things we can do with our Primary and maybe Secondary skills sets.

~Hunter Hanryu
>Everything Rangers have is just a lame version of something cool.~Morkim
Re: Awaken Forest 05/03/2018 09:03 PM CDT
>I'm done with all our cool stuff coming from a tert skill set. I'm glad some problems with AF were addressed, but I'm ready for Ranger dev to ignore magic for a long time and focus on cool things we can do with our Primary and maybe Secondary skills sets.

I expressed this when the Paladin stuff (smite/conviction) was being worked on, and firmly agree with it for rangers too. Magic tertiary guilds should use magic as part of a core identity, but they should not be magic primary guilds that happen to learn magic at a tertiary rate.

If ranger dev does come, I'd be fine with a couple cool new spells, but I would mostly want it to focus on rewriting beseeches, companions, caches, trails, scouting, etc.
Re: Awaken Forest 05/20/2018 01:07 PM CDT
First, the update to AF is greatly appreciated it. It definitely moves the spell from 'Why would I ever bother to cast this?' to 'This is situationally useful.' which is a significant upgrade and puts the spell in a place that's perfectly fine in the spectrum of rainjer spells. Thank you.

Second, this:

>I'm done with all our cool stuff coming from a tert skill set. I'm glad some problems with AF were addressed, but I'm ready for Ranger dev to ignore magic for a long time and focus on cool things we can do with our Primary and maybe Secondary skills sets.

[18:14] Chatter[Raesh] >perc nature
[18:15] Chatter[Raesh] You sense you should just howl.
Re: Awaken Forest + PLS 06/24/2018 06:52 AM CDT
Is PLS really worth 2 spell slots? As I understand it, that spell is now ONLY able to modify AF, which already costs 2 spell slots. It seems like a very high cost for a meta spell.

~Hunter Hanryu
Re: Awaken Forest + PLS 06/24/2018 09:56 AM CDT
A plague spawn is extremely powerful. Since I haven't seen much discussion on it, here's what exactly PLS provides:

- Higher offense and parry/shield ignore
- Vitality leech
- Special attack and Dispel spell

That's not quite a single-slot package, even if it's undead-only. While pet buffs do get a discount in slot cost, they'll still cost more the more things they do. Reverse Putrefaction, for example, costs 3 slots.

GM Grejuva
Re: Awaken Forest + PLS 06/24/2018 10:13 AM CDT
>Reverse Putrefaction, for example, costs 3 slots.

Not exactly related, but is Reverse Putrefaction doing more than boosting the offense/defense of the pet?

Elanthipedia only has it at 2 slots, I can update it if thats the case.
Re: Awaken Forest + PLS 06/24/2018 12:09 PM CDT
>here's what exactly PLS provides:
>- Higher offense and parry/shield ignore
>- Vitality leech
>- Special attack and Dispel spell

That makes more sense. Thank you for that list. I just had the chance to drop spells and feats to pickup both AF and PLS so I plan to do some testing in prime.

~Hunter Hanryu