[TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 06:39 PM CDT
Looks like the fatigue hit from Devitalize pairs very strongly with Lethargy. Hitting an enervated creature a couple of times with Devitalize seems to pretty well exhaust it, and it doesn't really recover at all until Lethargy wears off. It's an interesting synergy...Devitalize by itself killed the creature by the time it was "very tired", and Lethargy by itself seems to cause them to hover around "somewhat fatigued". The two together really did a number on it though.

Not really sure what the implications of that are, but there it is.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 09:04 PM CDT
The idea of a stamina/fatigue-draining spell is very Life magic-y, but unfortunately fatigue doesn't have enough bite to make a spell designed around that function fully "worth it" in terms of cost-benefit (i.e., trading off power for a fatigue hit isn't worth it in the long run).

I hesitate to suggest that fatigue be more impactful, because it will likely cause waves of terror in the player base, but it would be nice to be able to have another avenue of destruction at our disposal. (I'm thinking back to the 3.0? changes when Dartenian tried to give fatigue some fangs and it didn't go over so well in Test).

GENT
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 09:28 PM CDT
>>(i.e., trading off power for a fatigue hit isn't worth it in the long run).

You aren't trading power. Mana? Yes. Power? No. I'll also go out on a limb and say Devitalize, as it stands, is highly likely to get the fatigue damage nerfed in the future. Some of my testing when I implemented it scared me.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 10:24 PM CDT
>>unfortunately fatigue doesn't have enough bite to make a spell designed around that function fully "worth it" in terms of cost-benefit (i.e., trading off power for a fatigue hit isn't worth it in the long run).

Players start to taking a scaling defensive penalty starting at 80% fatigue. I'm not positive that critters take the same defensive penalty, but I don't see why they wouldn't. It's not the most effective secondary effect if it's a quick fight, but it can turn the tables in your favor in a close fight. I like it personally.

>>Devitalize, as it stands, is highly likely to get the fatigue damage nerfed in the future. Some of my testing when I implemented it scared me.

:(
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 11:22 PM CDT
Fatigue loss is capped from the other fatigue drains I know about, is that not a system-level thing?

Re: Life mana Spell preps

You raise your hands in the air. You wave them like you just don't care. Somebody says, "Hey!" Somebody says, "Ho!" Somebody screams.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/12/2016 11:52 PM CDT
>>Fatigue loss is capped from the other fatigue drains I know about, is that not a system-level thing?

There is no system level cap on fatigue drain. It's on a case by case basis.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Nature Manipulation 04/13/2016 12:31 PM CDT
>You aren't trading power. Mana? Yes. Power? No. I'll also go out on a limb and say Devitalize, as it stands, is highly likely to get the fatigue damage nerfed in the future. Some of my testing when I implemented it scared me.

Gotcha. I had assumed that additional effects (beyond the damage template) were balanced with secondary or tertiary effects. Thanks for clarifying.

GENT