[TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 11:47 AM CDT
Looking forward to the Debil/TM changes.

>>System Rewrite: Environmental Efficacy. This replaces the old terrain modifiers that Ranger magic was subject too. The inputs remain the same (wilderness good, urban bad) but the conditions will determine how efficiently your mana is used. You can think of this as having somewhat different levels of room mana available to you depending on the environment (Remember that Empaths also use Life Mana and are not subject to this system, for good and for ill.) This does not currently apply to mana supplied from Cambrinth or Harness. (The old system minorly adjusted spell difficulty instead.)

Really, really, really looking forward to this. I hate moving one room and my mana caps drastically changing.

>>See the Wind: Reduced to Intro difficulty. Now enables Dual Load.
>>Instinct: Reduced to Basic difficulty.
>>Cheetah Swiftness: Removed Utility as secondary skill. Preq changed to Claws of the Cougar.
>>Bear Strength: Increased to 3 slots. Secondary skill changed from Warding to Utility. Preq changed to Grizzly Claws.
>>Grizzly Claws: Reduced wilderness restriction.
>>Sense of the Tiger: The stripes are back.
>>Claws of the Cougar: Entirely rewritten. Now gives +brawling, functional brawling claws to those who do not already have them and RT reduction to melee attacks (like Hasten or Wildfire). The weapon skill boost will be relocated to a new spell in the Wilderness Survival spellbook.

These all look like good changes, especially COTC.

I've got a question though. I know this project has gotten huge, but are we going to be missing our weapon skill booster for a while, or will the spell be written before the release of 3.2 (if that's what it's being called)? I only ask because I rely on it pretty heavily and it will suck to go without it, but I'd like to be prepare myself if that is what is going to happen.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 12:07 PM CDT
>I know this project has gotten huge, but are we going to be missing our weapon skill booster for a while, or will the spell be written before the release of 3.2

It'll happen before 3.2.

I mostly need to spruce up the existing code and give it some new messaging - it's not a particularly large project.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 01:08 PM CDT
Great, and thanks.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 01:12 PM CDT
You know, I've never played a ranger, but all of that looks great.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 02:08 PM CDT
Alright, some quick feedback.

>>1) Mana now recovers at a linear rate (This is live on test for everyone, and has been for awhile).

This is working out pretty well. I haven't done any serious casting but it feels better than Prime.

>>2) Debilitation and TM spells have had their mana costs drastically altered (These are generally reductions, AoE TM is the main exception) and backlash rates reduced.

I think something went wrong here. All of the Debils and TM have their max mana cap set to 135, and it seems BB has reverted back to it's old spell tier because it's min prep is 15 again.

>>4) Reduced slot cost for AoE TM/Debil spells.

Swarm is the only AoE spell I have, but it's still listed as 4 slots under discern.

>>See the Wind: Reduced to Intro difficulty. Now enables Dual Load.
>>Instinct: Reduced to Basic difficulty.

Love the changes to these two spells.

>>Cheetah Swiftness: Removed Utility as secondary skill. Preq changed to Claws of the Cougar.
>>Bear Strength: Increased to 3 slots. Secondary skill changed from Warding to Utility. Preq changed to Grizzly Claws.

Everything seems to working as intended with these two spells.

>>Grizzly Claws: Reduced wilderness restriction.

I don't have this spell so I'm not able to test it.

>>Sense of the Tiger: The stripes are back.

Works, and I like it.

>>Claws of the Cougar: Entirely rewritten. Now gives +brawling, functional brawling claws to those who do not already have them and RT reduction to melee attacks (like Hasten or Wildfire). The weapon skill boost will be relocated to a new spell in the Wilderness Survival spellbook.

I like the new version. The claw aspect works well, and I love Hasten on my Thief so it's nice to see RT reduction happen for Rangers, too.

As an aside, are we supposed to have access to Aspect of the Shark? CotC and AotS combined make Brawling a very deadly weapon for Rangers.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 02:14 PM CDT
>>I think something went wrong here. All of the Debils and TM have their max mana cap set to 135, and it seems BB has reverted back to it's old spell tier because it's min prep is 15 again.
>>4) Reduced slot cost for AoE TM/Debil spells.

AT THIS TIME THIS IS ONLY FOR THE ANIMAL ABILITIES SPELLBOOK! All other spellbooks have not yet been updated and, it's possible, will not work at all until they are updated. I decided to roll out these updates in advance of the rest due to the extensive nature of them to allow for a longer testing window.

>>I don't have this spell so I'm not able to test it.

Test is currently under a global preview.

>>As an aside, are we supposed to have access to Aspect of the Shark?

Not really, but I'm too lazy to prevent the global preview from enabling it right now.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 03:04 PM CDT
>>AT THIS TIME THIS IS ONLY FOR THE ANIMAL ABILITIES SPELLBOOK! All other spellbooks have not yet been updated and, it's possible, will not work at all until they are updated. I decided to roll out these updates in advance of the rest due to the extensive nature of them to allow for a longer testing window.

My bad, got excited and forgot about that.

>>Test is currently under a global preview.

Thought so, I completely overlooked it while looking through my spell list. I'll hop back in later and do some more testing.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 06:02 PM CDT
I think the environmental mods are reversed or overflowing or something. My Ranger with very modest skills, low 100's, can't prep Wolf Scent at 23 without not having enough mana to cast the spell standing in front of the Ranger guild in Crossing which has a high wilderness factor.

[Wilds, Pine Needle Path]
Birds dart in and out of the dense shrubbery here, calling to one another in cadences that are almost comprehendible. Responses seem to emanate from the wooden structure ahead, a timber building with ornately carved double doors, and seemingly without a roof. You also see a waste bin and a tall wooden figure whose gaze seems to vigilantly scan the surroundings.
Obvious paths: south.
>pace
You glance about the area while pacing back and forth, like a large, stalking mountain cat.
>prep ws 22
That will disrupt most of your current attunement!
With meditative movements you prepare your body for the Wolf Scent spell.
>rel
You aren't harnessing any mana.
You let your concentration lapse and feel the spell's energies dissipate.
You have no cyclic spell active to release.
>prep ws 23
You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
>perc all
You reach out with your senses and see flickering (8/21) streams of deep green and blue Life mana flowing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is somewhat less mana to the south.

If I stand in front of the Empath guild, I can prep Wolf Scent at 100 and get the message that I am hardly using any mana. That is full urban.

[The Crossing, Magen Road]
The whitewashed building before you is stark and functional. A sign mounted on it is hand painted and carved with cunning skill. White-robed figures and all manner of injured and infirm people stream in and out of a double door, leaving thin trails of blood on the spotless pavement. You also see a wide arch and a stone urn.
Obvious paths: east, south, west.
>perc all
You reach out with your senses and see shimmering (9/21) streams of deep green and blue Life mana flowing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is moderately less mana to the west, incredibly less mana to the south, and somewhat less mana to the east.
>pace
You pace back and forth like a trapped animal.
>prep ws 100
That won't affect your current attunement very much.

Granted, the Empath guild has one step higher mana, but that should not account for the difference. And casting it at a straight prep pf 26, which is my max, I only lose 1% of mana pool while at the Empath guild.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 06:05 PM CDT
Addendum:

Going inside the Empath's guildhall, I get the neutral area and more normal spell messages. Wolf Scent can't prep at 56 which is normal for me.

[Empaths' Guild, Infirmary]
Cool washed white walls compose the wide room that serves as the working grounds for The Crossing's Empaths. The windows have been cracked open to let in cool air, but the copper tang of blood still spikes the taste of every inhalation, and the spice of fears, hopes, and worries lace every exhalation. You also see a bucket of viscous gloop, a large white cabinet and a dark mahogany door.
Obvious exits: east.
>pace
You pace back and forth.
>perc all
You reach out with your senses and see shimmering (9/21) streams of deep green and blue Life mana flowing through the area.
Letting your senses extend further, you feel there is much less mana to the east.
>prep ws 56
You feel intense strain as you try to manipulate the mana streams to form this pattern, and you are not certain that you will have enough mental stamina to complete it.
>prep ws 55
That will disrupt most of your current attunement!
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 06:11 PM CDT
Harumph.

I think it's fixed now. Sorry about that hiccup. Juggling way too much code at the moment and it looks like that one slipped through.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/10/2016 06:18 PM CDT
Working great now! Thanks for all these changes!
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/11/2016 10:33 PM CDT
>new toys

Raesh if you're ever feeling so inclined, I'd be much obliged if Fisher (my Ranger from TF) ever got copied over to Test so I can play around with these changes.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 07:50 AM CDT
Played with the new spells in Test a bit and I have to say that I like it them a lot. Magic is no longer painful to use in combat anymore, especially TM and Debil.

The decreases in mana to TM/Debil mean I can actually use the spells at full power while training rather than putting in a minimum amount of mana just to get them to work/teach. It's also very nice to see Ranger debilitation become more accessible and easier to use. The guild has some great spells, but they were gated behind too many spell slots and high spell tiers.

The only kind of complaint that I have is CaC still. I'm glad to see the damage penalty reduced, but in my small amount of testing the spell didn't hit a previously wounded area once and instead created it's own wounds on new areas. I know I didn't test enough to make it valid, but it just seems like the spell is being penalized for no reason. I'll probably keep it for instances that I want a source of fire damage, and I like that you bumped it up, but it will probably still see little use from me.

I love that you put dual-loading in with StW. It was a bit annoying that it was packaged into HoL for whatever reason. I'll be glad to take it out of my combat routine, unless I need a skinning buff, and just use it for opening boxes.

I think what you did with CotC is great. You turned a bland, but useful, spell into something exciting. I've been missing a RT reducer on my Ranger, and the addition of claws makes Brawling a useful skill for Rangers now.

The changes to mana regen have made it possible to use our 2 cyclic spells in combat now. Thank you so much for this. Previously using them at minimum prep in a decent mana room kept my mana around 50-60% and when I started to cast buffs or TM spells my mana would just tank. Now I can prep them close to my mana cap and actually use other spells without having to release the cyclic to keep my mana from tanking.

Lastly, the changes to environmental mods to the mana caps is nice. I don't have to use discern in every room that I stop to use magic to see what my personal mana cap is now. It was very annoying to cast in an urban area close to the mana cap that I was used to casting at only to backfire time after time, and then having to discern every spell I wanted to cast just to see how much I needed to lower my mana input. So, thank you for this.

Overall I'm very happy with all of these changes. You have managed to take a very solid Ranger spellbook and remove a large amount of the frustration from it while also adding some new pieces it. I'm looking forward to 3.2s release to Prime.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 10:20 AM CDT
Played around a bit, too.

The mana changes and the TM/Debil changes, well, change the game for me, honestly. I always felt that I was restricted from using my magic in combat before (and it even deterred me from spelling up due to the time it required). Now, I actually feel like keeping my magics up with my combats was worth it. I feel much more capable and feel like I'll be better able to make use of all the tools that are available to me.

A general note - I found that I was backfiring a LOT when casting at what DISCERN told me my cap was. I usually had to go down 5 mana to pull off most spells (TM, Debil, Aug, Util spells in particular). I may have just been careless about my casting situation, but I was using HEALME to make sure I didn't have nerve damage and all. Probably just my perception.

A few comments:

AOTS - I freakin' love this spell. I hope it isn't gated super high-end, cause I'll probably never be able to afford to get it. (I'm assuming from the spell description that it will be limited/rare)?

COTC - I love the new feel of the spell. Is there a damage bonus in addition to the claws themselves? As Brawling prime, I'm very excited about the addition of the claws, but I didn't feel much of a difference while attacking (not just clawing).

COTW - I love the changes here.

A question:

I'm not sure I understand what changed with the environmental mods. I noticed that my mana caps didn't fluctuate, but I'm not sure what changed in that case? (I'm probably being dense, but the description of the change didn't click for me).

If there are any more specific things you'd like us to fool around with, I can probably hop into test a couple more times this week.

Thanks for all the hard work!

GENT
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 11:06 AM CDT
>>AOTS - I freakin' love this spell. I hope it isn't gated super high-end, cause I'll probably never be able to afford to get it. (I'm assuming from the spell description that it will be limited/rare)?

We won't be getting this spell, and I'm not sure why we do have it to begin with. This is a spell version of the iron shark that was a HE gift a few years back. We just have access because of the spell preview in Test.

>>COTC - I love the new feel of the spell. Is there a damage bonus in addition to the claws themselves? As Brawling prime, I'm very excited about the addition of the claws, but I didn't feel much of a difference while attacking (not just clawing).

The spell still boosts the Brawling skill so it should give a small bump in damage, but the majority of it will come from using CLAW.

>>I'm not sure I understand what changed with the environmental mods. I noticed that my mana caps didn't fluctuate, but I'm not sure what changed in that case? (I'm probably being dense, but the description of the change didn't click for me).

Instead of fluctuating mana caps it changed how well you can use mana dependant on wilderness. So a glowing mana room in a neutral area is base (I'm assuming). A glowing room in high wilderness will use less mana than neutral and a glowing room in an urban area will use more mana. So we will use less mana in wilderness areas to hit spell caps while we can still hit those same caps in urban areas it will take more of our mana to do it.

An easy way to think of it is we can use mana easier in wilderness areas than we can in urban areas now.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 12:20 PM CDT
>>The only kind of complaint that I have is CaC still. I'm glad to see the damage penalty reduced, but in my small amount of testing the spell didn't hit a previously wounded area once and instead created it's own wounds on new areas.

Hmm. I didn't change that logic. Try using more mana, that'll make it more likely it hits an existing wound - or give the target a few more existing wounds so it has more seed points.

>>AOTS - I freakin' love this spell. I hope it isn't gated super high-end, cause I'll probably never be able to afford to get it. (I'm assuming from the spell description that it will be limited/rare)?

So... here's the deal. Aspect of the Shark was an HE gift. It happened to be the 'easy' way to make sure that gift worked correctly was to just... write it as a spell (I can't take credit for this) which means it needed a spellbook. Well, it was fairly clear what sort of spell it wanted to be and we don't have generic "Life/Elemental/etc Mana" spellbooks - so technically it's a Ranger spell. It's also completely inaccessible for player learning.

... Except I turned the global preview on in Test, and the preview logic has no way to account for this situation. So, for now, it stays but it will not be available in the Live instances outside of those with the HE gift.

>>COTC - I love the new feel of the spell. Is there a damage bonus in addition to the claws themselves?

It's the same bonus Prydaen's have (And for those of you with claws it gives you a tiny boost elsewhere to compensate for not giving you double claws).

>>So we will use less mana in wilderness areas to hit spell caps while we can still hit those same caps in urban areas it will take more of our mana to do it.

You got it.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 12:37 PM CDT
>AOTS

NOOOO! Maybe I'll seek out one of those statues. Bummed I missed out on that one after seeing what it does! I would definitely use the spell regularly.

As for other spell feedback, I know there was a bit of discussion about some of the less desirable spells in our books, but I noticed most of them weren't changed other than what I'm guessing is behind the scenes work.

Will we see any of the improvements with the initial release, or will that be an ongoing project? I'm thinking of spells like FWB, GRIZ (removing knockback)?

Thanks for the clarification on the enviro mods.

GENT
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 02:15 PM CDT
Did the small iron shark bond to the first user or ticket purchaser or can it be handed off/sold? I can't remember.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 02:26 PM CDT
>Did the small iron shark bond to the first user or ticket purchaser or can it be handed off/sold? I can't remember.

I checked the wiki for the item, and the entry page for the HE that year. It's listed as the 'gift', not the 'toy', so I assume it bonded to the ticket owner who collected it. Like the spiders, totems, etc. of previous years.

The 'toy' would have been an appraisal focus anyway, I believe, but it's not on there either.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 02:43 PM CDT
Yeah, unfortunately it bonded.

when rubbed by someone else:

You rub your hand over the engravings, but nothing happens. It appears that the magic inside the shark only responds to its rightful owner.

If you convince staff to make them unbondable with invoke so they can be transferred I'll you sell you my small iron shark SLHUBBARD and you can get AOTS ~13 times a week.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 03:09 PM CDT
>>I know there was a bit of discussion about some of the less desirable spells in our books, but I noticed most of them weren't changed other than what I'm guessing is behind the scenes work.

My approach to Ranger Magic in 3.2 was to get it to a mechanically sound place, not to fix all the issues with it. As it is I spent more time on Ranger magic than Moon Mages, Bards, Necromancers, Paladins and AP spells combined. (I'd say "all other guilds combined" but I spent a ton of time on Warrior Mages too since some other projects for them got grafted into 3.2.)

We've got quite a few 'red flagged' issues remaining that are things I want to see fixed but aren't essential to getting 3.2 out the door. It's just a bandwidth issue and trying to keep an already staggeringly large release in check.

Some of the remaining red flags for Rangers:
Grizzly Claws - Still mulling over what to do with the knockback.
Earth Meld - Considering if the autohide should be left in or not. (I'm leaning towards removing this from the red flags after dropping it to 1 slot, reducing the nature penalties and making it castable from hiding.)
Blend - I'm considering making this a more normal invisibility spell.
Forestwalker's Boon - This spell is exceedingly underwhelming. It's also is in no way a warding spell.
Compost - There's a cool idea floating around for revamping this as a totally different spell.
Swarm - Is the stealth/perc debuff really the best thing to match the flavor of this spell?
Harawep's Bonds - Rewebbing is kind of awkward with diminishing returns, but the pulsing unbalance is a big part of the spell.
Awaken Forest - Another underwhelming spell. Possible candidate for removal or revamp into something totally different.
Curse of the Wilds - Should work with replacement casts. Could use a major flavor update.
Warding spells in general - Rangers are very shy on these, even more so after 3.2. Maybe be resolved with the Barrier Review.

(Note - this isn't saying all of these things will happen, they're just things I noticed as I went through the spellbooks that I'd like to revisit. Most would also still need to go through the normal approval process before I could move forward.)

And there's the whole matter of reworking scouting, beseeches and the Ranger confound. At that point I expect you'll see a fresh infusion of messaging and flavor into some of the existing spells - most of the messaging I put in wasn't terribly flavorful, it was just functional.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/12/2016 03:41 PM CDT
Thanks for the update Raesh, I appreciate the feedback on the red flags... good to know that it is on the radar for later.

Best,
GENT
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/14/2016 05:17 PM CDT
Maybe I am mis-remembering (I'm old give me a break) but I seem to remember that dual load became available at a specific circle or skill req. If that is still true, does casting STW give dual load to those who are lower than the required reqs?

And thanks for the huge amount of work you all are doing. Makes me happy to be a ranger again.

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/14/2016 06:16 PM CDT
I believe dual load is ranks based, ~200 in bows. I'm not sure if STW counts towards your effective ranks for the check. I'd wager that if it helps with the check then it likely did before this change.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/14/2016 06:59 PM CDT
Rangers get dual-load at 201 base ranks in Bow. HoL (StW soon) has to be active once you have those ranks to be able to use it. I'm fairly positive that you need 201 ranks and buffs don't count.
Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/18/2016 12:21 AM CDT
Sooo my question is, will the new STW give dual load to those who have less than 201 in bow? Also, will STW make it easier/more accurate to snipe? Just curious.

Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/18/2016 04:50 AM CDT
>>Sooo my question is, will the new STW give dual load to those who have less than 201 in bow?

No changes.

>>Also, will STW make it easier/more accurate to snipe? Just curious.

No changes.

-Raesh

Re: [TEST] Ranger Spells - Animal Abilities 04/22/2016 09:31 PM CDT
Thanks for the answer, Raesh....keep on keeping on!