rangers and magic training 04/20/2011 03:32 PM CDT
Anyone know the best spell to train target magic? primary?
Re: rangers and magic training 04/20/2011 03:44 PM CDT
>Anyone know the best spell to train target magic? primary?

min prep/fast cast BOLT spam until 100ish in TM, then STRA/DEVI after that. I typically straight cast STRA at 12 mana after each snipe/ambush or every third swing of fighting in the open. I mix and match that with using just STRA at 20-30 mana with cambrinth.

I never actively train PM. Just cast buffs and train TM using cambrinth which trains PM and arcana. PM is 10 ranks shy of being in my top 10 skills and is my 12th highest skill overall. TM is on par with my primary weapons.

-pete
Re: rangers and magic training 04/20/2011 06:15 PM CDT
Follow Pete's advice on the TM. For PM, prep X, charge camb 11, focus, cast, repeat has worked for me since I learned that PP was important and I needed to get that up before I could work on PM. Suggest PM spell progressions: SOP (100), EM (175), SPC (300), WOTP (>250).

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 01:18 AM CDT
I'll echo those posts with the addition that if you can't sustain snapped casts of STRA at 100ish TM because your other magics aren't up to snuff, BOLT still teaches well for at least to 200 if not higher, just not quite as well. So don't stress about TM learning if your other magics are low as well.

-Evran

Gay, geeky, and a little bit cheeky.
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 06:39 AM CDT
>I'll echo those posts with the addition that if you can't sustain snapped casts of STRA at 100ish TM because your other magics aren't up to snuff, BOLT still teaches well for at least to 200 if not higher, just not quite as well. So don't stress about TM learning if your other magics are low as well.

Good point. Barn's magics were pretty high already when I had TM at that level.

I'd suggest switching over to using the camb/tm combo once you can use worn cambrinth, if you aren't backtraining. By then your skills should be sufficient to sustain it, and the added power behind the spells will do a bit more damage, plus really help train arcana, PP, and PM.

-pete
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 08:16 AM CDT
>>I'd suggest switching over to using the camb/tm combo once you can use worn cambrinth, if you aren't backtraining.

I thought machine gun energy bolt was the premier way to train Targeted Magic?

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 08:39 AM CDT
Tangent: Han, is that the main way you train PP or do you powerwalk? My PP is 200 ranks behind my PM and it is gimping me. I gnash my teeth whenever I powerwalk as it seems a very inefficient method of training.

Madigan
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 09:00 AM CDT
I train PP by PERCing in combat (I rotate HUNT, PERC, and APP) and it keeps it moving fairly well. It doesn't lock as fast as powerwalking, but then, it's not nearly as painful.

~Selesthiel
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 09:45 AM CDT
<<machine gun TM best way to learn

It is if TM is the only skill you want to train. I think he was just suggesting a more well-rounded routine.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 10:52 AM CDT
><<machine gun TM best way to learn

>It is if TM is the only skill you want to train. I think he was just suggesting a more well-rounded routine.

This.

I rarely need to powerwalk, I never need to specifically train arcana or PM. I'm nearing 400 average in magics at 87th circle, so it seems to be working pretty well.

Yes, TM trains a little slower, but this approach makes it train like other combats and it isn't any where near as god-awful as pounding a "prep bolt;target;-1cast" macro for 20 minutes straight.
While the process is a bit more complex than this... Here's how my training routines go:

Ranged:
engage;load;prep;target;aim;stalk;snipe;cast
-OR-
engage;load;prep;target;aim;<wait for melee range>;fire;cast

2HE:
engage;prep;target;stalk;attack;cast
-OR-
engage;prep;target;attackx3;cast

TM:
engage;prep;target;charge;focus;circle;cast

I fight everything at melee. Stance evasion for ranged, stance parry for 2HE, stance shield for TM.

LB/2HE/TM are all equal, MO/Armors/Parry/Shield are within a few ranks of each other. I really spend no time specifically training anything, just rotating through the above as I hunt.

-pete
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 12:37 PM CDT
<<I train PP by PERCing in combat (I rotate HUNT, PERC, and APP) and it keeps it moving fairly well. It doesn't lock as fast as powerwalking, but then, it's not nearly as painful.

That is what I do, which has resulted in a 200 rank gap. I was wondering if the cam charging before casts helps PP significantly. I am going to give it a shot tonight and see how it feels.

Madigan
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 12:52 PM CDT
It should help. More mana per cast gives more PP learning. Also, once cyclics are out you'll get a good boost to PP learning. My Bards have no issues keeping PP up with other magics without powerwalking. Just a high mana enchante, cambrinth augmented TM and a CONC after each kill. Out of combat its the Enchante and a CONC between each PLAY.

-Evran

The first slayer of Malik, may he not rest in peace.
Re: rangers and magic training 04/21/2011 12:59 PM CDT
>That is what I do, which has resulted in a 200 rank gap. I was wondering if the cam charging before casts helps PP significantly. I am going to give it a shot tonight and see how it feels.

PP has been about 80 ranks behind harness for 200 ranks now. Everything else is in between.

I typically get at least 4 ranks of harness & PM a circle, usually get about 4 ranks of arcana a circle, and usually get at least 3-4 ranks of PP a circle. I was getting a lot more back when I was training 6-8 ranks of TM a circle to catch it up.

Just from training TM and casting buffs. I use camb for all buffs except for SOP. I usually only power walk when I am close to getting my rank in PP and about to circle.

-pete
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 07:12 AM CDT
>Tangent: Han, is that the main way you train PP or do you powerwalk? My PP is 200 ranks behind my PM and it is gimping me. I gnash my teeth whenever I powerwalk as it seems a very inefficient method of training.

I used to power walk between training locations, which as a Ranger can be pretty far apart. I've got more mana than I know what to do with now, so my combat script hits the POW button every 70 seconds or so if PP < 16/34. Working my little paladin I do the same, but I have to power walk him because nothing slows down PM/TM training like having to pause for mana regen. You're also suffering from the fact that holy mana is universally crappy (even after the recent mana storm). I only rarely had problems with my just-over 30 cleric, so I can only assume that holy mana was designed to expect you to have cleric devotion boost and/or POM running at all times, which makes it "teh sux" for paladins.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 07:57 AM CDT
>>so my combat script hits the POW button every 70 seconds or so if PP < 16/34.

Isn't the room timer 3 min? Or do you hunt from room to room?

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 07:59 AM CDT
The time that you must wait between perceives in the same room is 60 seconds.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 08:04 AM CDT
Quick update. Really there are only three options to train PP:

1. Stick with your PERC timer of 60 seconds. This is what I do in my combat scripts.

2. Cast more with more mana.

3. Powerwalk.

After jacking up #2 above, I really didn't see any significant increase. Meh, powerwalking for me.

Madigan
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 08:08 AM CDT
>>The time that you must wait between perceives in the same room is 60 seconds.

Good to know. Time to update my combat script. Thanks!

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: rangers and magic training 04/22/2011 11:13 AM CDT
Someone told me a LOOOONG time ago that the secret to training magic is to make sure that, regardless of your activity, you are ALWAYS casting spells. Keep it moving in and out of combat. ALWAYS have something prepped; maybe even create a background script casting WOTP when you are moving around.

My combat scripts web / bb almost every single thing I kill, several times before I kill it. I lace a 'perc' into the parry / dodge portion of all of my scripts (app critter quick also), and my magics have always been higher than my weapons.

PP & ARCANA get trained during non-combat phases of training - I never power'walk' its always either power'swim' or power'climb' or power'trailrun', and there's always a cast (usually WOTP) at each stop / room, and there's always an ARCANA phase. Once you have the requisite ranks to use camb without holding it, acrana training becomes a LOT easier because you can easily manage it in combat.

Target I train like a ranged weapon - pretend its a really clumsy bow, and prep it as high as you can without killing. Prep, target, and alternate between hiding target wait, and camb-use target wait. Memorize STRA as soon as possible, or temporarily memorize GarZeng if you can get your hands on it(excellent for TM - easy to cast, easy-if-not-guaranteed to hit, and low physical damage).

I know everybody says cast as high as you can to maximize learning, but I say cast as high as you can easily replace (don't drain your harness dry - make sure after you cast your pool is full again in time for the next actual cast), and try to cast before full prep as much as possible. I prep & cast HB & BB at 15 mana, snap cast, rinse & repeat. I don't think its as much about the amount prep - I think its more about the number of casts, as prematurely before full prep as possible.

It works for me anyway...

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach
Re: rangers and magic training 05/01/2011 11:40 PM CDT
>Madigan

I'm late to this thread, but what I do with my Cleric is every 60 seconds move one room over, Perceive, move back, Perceive. It seems to work fairly well w/magic primary, so it'll probably work reasonably well for magic tert.
Re: rangers and magic training 05/05/2011 11:09 AM CDT
<<I'm late to this thread, but what I do with my Cleric is every 60 seconds move one room over, Perceive, move back, Perceive. It seems to work fairly well w/magic primary, so it'll probably work reasonably well for magic tert.

Now, that idea has some legs. Great, great suggestion and easy to work into my existing scripts.

Madigan
Re: rangers and magic training 05/05/2011 03:00 PM CDT
>Now, that idea has some legs. Great, great suggestion and easy to work into my existing scripts.

Agreed. Easy to work into other repetitive training scripts to boost PP even further. I like.

-pete
Re: rangers and magic training 05/05/2011 05:14 PM CDT
pete, this sounds just like your suggestion to move a room and hunt for perception, stalking. I like.