Prev_page Previous 1
Poll 12/19/2010 11:39 PM CST
Trails first. Once I have my fixed companion, I'll want to run her on the fixed trails.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 12:11 AM CST
Companions, just because I feel if they dont happen now, they will never get fixed.

Falker
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 01:19 AM CST
Companions.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 01:55 AM CST
companions. for admittedly selfish reasons. :-)

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Poll 12/20/2010 04:07 AM CST
Companions, since trails do have some use, currently.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 04:11 AM CST
companions

~Faih
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 05:13 AM CST
Trails. With the reduction in survival skills, we need better ways to train scouting, since that can no longer be pushed down past the top tier skills as easily.

Also what the first poster mentioned... If trails are done first, then companions can be coded to take them into account when they are re-done.

-pete
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 07:06 AM CST
Companions. I've been on and off again for since for the last twelve years. Each time I come back, companions are still the same broken system. Trails are semi-useful as is, and though they may need some loving I'd prefer companions to get it first.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 07:32 AM CST
Trails.

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 09:20 AM CST
Trails.

D.W.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 11:11 AM CST
companions.

You turn a deep ebony lockpick case set with smooth onyx plates labeled "Graverobber" in the light, admiring it.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 11:32 AM CST
trails first.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 12:01 PM CST
Companions
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 03:13 PM CST
Companions

Telrenth
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 04:15 PM CST
<<I feel if they dont happen now, they will never get fixed.

<<trails do have some use, currently.

Companions.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 06:13 PM CST
Companions.

Been waiting for this since.. before tracking was even changed to scouting.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 06:18 PM CST
Companions.
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 07:38 PM CST
This kills me to admit that trails would likely be more useful to more rangers than companions. I think every ranger should have a companion!

But for my own, selfish reasons and because I also believe as someone else said--if it doesn't happen now, it never will---I vote for COMPANIONS!

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky (who wants to raise his paw in a vote for companions)
Re: Poll 12/20/2010 08:07 PM CST
I've been kinda divided on whether or not I deserve a vote, heh.

But I'd say companions.
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 01:20 AM CST
As much as I hate the fact that our "guild only" skill does not scale much past 325 ranks.. Companions are something that makes a Ranger in my opinion. And that system has been pretty sad forever. I vote Companions.

Lhun
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 05:42 AM CST
<<Companions.

<<Been waiting for this since.. before tracking was even changed to scouting.

This.

-Spirit
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 08:05 AM CST
> our "guild only" skill does not scale much past 325 ranks

Trails.

Of course the fact that trails is the "cool thing you can do with your guild-only skill" makes me sadface. What ever happened to insta-track, perma-tracking, and feats that were supposed to be driven by scouting skill?

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 10:46 AM CST
Companions.

Why? I can currently run trails and get where I want to go. Is it fast? Nah. Does it train well? Nah. But does it work? Yes.

Companions? I don't dare move more than one room with mine out. I don't dare make them do anything they're supposed to do (other than pick stuff up). But i've always wanted to.
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 05:47 PM CST
Changing my vote to companions since trails thru the trackless wilderness are now no longer trails thru the trackless wilderness but semi urban areas with I guess hand rails and stairs.

I'm going to have to fade if this keeps up.
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 06:24 PM CST
Rangers should learn parkour.
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 07:25 PM CST
Trails. Ive been waiting for more companion development since I started playing in late 1996, but until I can use AL to circle, won't train it like I do scouting. Plus, I am hoping someday to be able to make permanent, or at least longer lasting trailmarkers. And possibly more then two.

Asterid

Also, please remember to watch the conflicts ~Sidatura
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 07:28 PM CST
Companions
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 08:48 PM CST
Keep in mind AL is going away... Didn't someone say Scouting will be the primary skill associated with the new companions?
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 09:27 PM CST
Companions
Re: Poll 12/21/2010 09:34 PM CST
Companions. They're far too easily lost as it is right now.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Poll 12/22/2010 02:31 PM CST
Trails. Two months to see some progression compared to six months. It'd give us something to learn in those six months after it's put in. Trails seems far more convenient to have finished as well.
Re: Poll 12/22/2010 06:07 PM CST
As much as I would love to see Companions happen, I agree that scouting is virtually un-trainable at this point so - TRAILS PLEASE.

I would however like to cast next decades vote (in advance) for Companions.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!" - Rorschach
Re: Poll 12/22/2010 07:15 PM CST
This is a tough choice. At the moment I can easily train Animal Lore at 600+ ranks; it takes a while (10-15 minutes), but I can fill up my exp pool. With 850 ranks of Scouting, it's incredibly difficult to fill my exp pool (and I never have since the exp changes).

With the combination of Animal Lore with Foraging, I'd have to vote for trails. I can train Foraging at 860+ with no problem.

I may change my vote to companions depending on what skill companions would teach (if any), though I would prefer a better way to train Scouting.

- Saracus
Re: Poll 12/22/2010 10:03 PM CST
Just to be clear... are you guys having trouble getting Scouting to 2/34 or 34/34?

Because my Ranger hasn't trained on trails at all, and he's 40th. Would be higher if I bothered with secondary weapons, but I got lazy.
Re: Poll 12/22/2010 10:26 PM CST
>>are you guys having trouble getting Scouting to 2/34 or 34/34?

34/34. The issue is drain vs. fill. It's been a while since I've done a more accurate test, though after about an hour of doing nothing but running trails, I can only get to 10/34. This is with ~850 ranks in scouting and 50 int/wis.

My ranger is currently heavy on the non-combat survivals. He had 450+ climbing and 400+ scouting when he was 50th circle. Now at 114th climbing/scouting/swimming has kept about that same distance from his "at level" combat survivals. That is why I am voting for trails, in the hopes that I can once again train scouting at a decent pace outside of combat. Slower than out of combat, sure, though at a decent pace. For to be able to train scouting in-combat currently I believe I'd have to be hunting dillos, which is a long ways off. I'll be moving to Apes / Goblins fairly soon and hopefully that will help, though from my tests a while back it's still not that great.
Re: Poll 12/23/2010 12:12 AM CST
I would like to point out what I think is going to be a problem. Even though I would like to see companions fixed first, there is a problem no one appears to be considering. New folks coming in will have 10 skills to provide them with TDP's. Most of our beseeches, companions, horse catching, just to mention a few are currently tied to a specific STAT being a specific number, for example Needing charisma at a specific level for the first companion. I really doubt based on this, that folks will be able to achieve the stats required as they get older at the circles the items are available. It appears to me they will be short TDPs on the new system unless they work only the 4 primary and 6 secondary skills and even then I suspect the levels for the stat required no longer work out, if the plan remains as stated. Therefore, I think you will see very few new rangers even bother with companions, in fact I have a feeling since having a companion does nothing for the things we need to circle right now, most of us will abandon companions. Under this new system, the variety of stats needed for specific beseeches, roping a horse and getting companions might just be at odds with each other as they grow. Older folks who have them already will be ok but it appears the new folks wont grow as fast but will equalize out eventually as they get older. So it comes down to what is going to be needed first? Again, for many years companions have been promised and thats what I vote for, but from my perception of what is going to happen, we have a problem in the making. More than any other profession, rangers are stat based rather than skill based, because of the stat requirements for everything we have that is ranger specific (beseeches, companions, horse catching). For that matter since survival is prime for us things like climbing/swimming and many other things are heavily stat based, like strength for climbing and swimming. Course it will be interesting to see how they base our circle requirements in the future with fewer skills to base it on. But thats for another post.

Anyway I vote for companions. Its been way way too long since this was addressed. I just hope the new system does not end up making our new companions completely and totally irrelevant, because I actually see signs that is what will happen.

Ranger Pfanston and his soggy puppy.
Re: Poll 12/23/2010 07:08 AM CST
>because I actually see signs that is what will happen.

Such as?

- GM Sithix

If you'd stop finding bugs I could code Companions 2.0.
Re: Poll 12/23/2010 07:09 AM CST
This poll will stay up through Sunday or Monday, but as it stands right now:

Trails 9
Companions 22

- GM Sithix

If you'd stop finding bugs I could code Companions 2.0.
Re: Poll 12/23/2010 07:11 AM CST
<<I would like to point out what I think is going to be a problem. Even though I would like to see companions fixed first, there is a problem no one appears to be considering. New folks coming in will have 10 skills to provide them with TDP's. >>

They are reconsidering the 10 skills thing. But even so, since they will be learning an a much quicker rate, new folks shouldn't have to much issue learning TDPs. They would just be circle chasing a lot more.
Poll 12/23/2010 03:45 PM CST
Trails
Prev_page Previous 1