Prev_page Previous 1
Ranger Magic 3.0 10/18/2010 09:33 PM CDT
First note, generally I like everything.

Protection Book, Could use a bit more love still.
A spell that increases shield durability, and boost shield would be nice.

Grizzly claw, I'm wondering why it was chosen to be spirit vs fortitude. It is a interesting choice. Also will it be nature restricted.

Really happy about Claws of the Cougar. No complains.

For Blend, I was wondering if the reasserting itself is still planned or not. That was one thing I was looking forward to. Also wondering if it will still be only be usable in wilderness areas. Nature restriction i mean.

A better name for Athleticism spell would be. Call of Nature, Spirit of the Wild, or Survivors spirit.

Compost being target sounds nifty.

Wondering if Awaken Forest will still be bound to the room, with the downtime and unable to change locations. That was one of the biggest restrictions on the spell that makes it very hard to use. Stalk by accident and you have to wait 5 minutes to recast.

Everything else looks very good from my standpoint. Mostly I worry about the nature restrictions. While I'm fine where they make sense, I just think neutral should work even if it takes a bit more effort.

The Dragon priest hisses, "We'd have won, too, if it weren't for thossse meddling kidsss."
>
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/18/2010 09:57 PM CDT
>Grizzly claw, I'm wondering why it was chosen to be spirit vs fortitude. It is a interesting choice. Also will it be nature restricted.

You'll be able to cast anywhere on it but many spells will remain easier/harder to cast based on nature levels.

>For Blend, I was wondering if the reasserting itself is still planned or not. That was one thing I was looking forward to. Also wondering if it will still be only be usable in wilderness areas. Nature restriction i mean.

It will slowly reassert itself. And same as above on nature.

>Wondering if Awaken Forest will still be bound to the room, with the downtime and unable to change locations.

You'll at the very least be able to recast whenever you want.

-Z
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/18/2010 10:21 PM CDT
Is this the finalized list? Is there any more detail you can go into?

<<Forestwalker's Boon - Advanced Utility. Makes caster 'friendly' to quadruped living creatures unless attacks first. Open to suggestions on how to improve this more without it turning into a buff of a stat/skill.

Only thing I can think of dont go with the effect, Passive spot, or Celpeze's old anti-aim ability.

<<Natural Grace - Introductory Augmentation. Evasion booster

Can we get more info? % boost? Hard rank boost? I am already guessing this is a nerf of SOP, so any info would be nice.

<<Wolf Scent - Basic Augmentation. Scouting, Gathering boosters

Typical. Wasnt expecting anything much here.

<<Cheetah Swiftness - Esoteric Cyclic Augmentation. Agility boost, pulsing balance boost, pulsing auto stand-up.

Sounds like something we've been asking for, for a long time. Nice sounding spell.

<<Bear Strength - Esoteric Cyclic Augmentation. Strength + Stamina boost, occasional status protection

What does 'occasional' status protection mean. And what status ailments? Stuns?

<<Grizzly Claws - Advanced Debilitation. AoE knockback and knockdown + short RT. Spirit vs Fortitude.

Can mana affect the knockdown vs the knockback? Like 10-20 mana is just knock down, and 21+ is knockback too? I can think of wanting to knock everything down, but knocking them back, would just be annoying if I'm using it at melee. It would force melee fighters to advance everytime.

<<Senses of the Tiger - Advanced Augmentation. Reflex Boost, Perception Boost

Are we to expect the boosts to be the same as they are now, or are they going down, since they are now combination spells?

<<Wisdom of the Pack - Advanced Augmentation. Wisdom Boost, Lock/Trap boost.

Originally this boosted Disciple, not wisdom. As far as I know wisdom does nothing but affect exp draining, which you guys arent going to let spells affect. So was that a typo, or my question would be, why did disciple get switched for wisdom?

<<Claws of the Cougar - Advanced Augmentation. Melee Weaponry Boost, Brawling Damage Boost

Good change.

<<Athleticism (needs a better name) - Basic Augmentation. Athletics boost. This is Climb + Swim

That is also supposed to be the name of the skill combination right? Name ... Obsticle Marine, Dolphin Geeko, Lirsa's Terrian, Terraswim, etc.

<<Compost - Basic Targeted. Single Target multi-hit damage. Can still clean up garbage.

Multi-hit - Like Fire shard?

<<Awaken Forest - Advanced Utility. Summonable, attracts enemies to itself

I like the spell, I dunno if the spell name fits the affect. Maybe Forest Pheromone, or something...

<<Memory of Nature - Esoteric Augmentation. Slightly improves personal urbanclass rating, must be cast in high wild.

Not really sure what the purpose behind this spell is, or what it's doing. It is rading the nature of the area, but only in a high wilderness area? I'm confused. Can you go into more detail. I think I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

<<Plague of Scavengers - Esoteric Targeted. AoE direct damage.

No limitation against undead, right? Just wanted to clarify.

Only thing I see missing atm, is a passive spot spell, which I was really hoping to see.

Falker
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/18/2010 10:29 PM CDT
>>Not really sure what the purpose behind this spell is, or what it's doing. It is rading the nature of the area, but only in a high wilderness area? I'm confused. Can you go into more detail. I think I'm misunderstanding what you mean.

For the duration of the spell, the wilderness of whatever room you're in is considered +X higher than normal for you and you alone. It must be cast in a high wilderness area, but persists for the full duration of the spell afterward, no matter what room you move to therafter.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/18/2010 11:30 PM CDT
<< For the duration of the spell, the wilderness of whatever room you're in is considered +X higher than normal for you and you alone. It must be cast in a high wilderness area, but persists for the full duration of the spell afterward, no matter what room you move to therafter.

Thanks for the clarification on that. Makes more sense now.

Falker
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 02:13 AM CDT
Is it intended that Rangers have no "warding" spells?

Also, there are no introductory or basic "utility" spells, no advanced TM, no intro debilitation, and no esoteric utility.

Compost as target sounds nifty. Will it "compost" the critter before you can skin it, though?

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 03:32 AM CDT
>> Athleticism (needs a better name)
>>Basic Augmentation. Athletics boost. This is Climb + Swim

Survivor's Strength?

>>Is it intended that Rangers have no "warding" spells?

Probably. They said in the Cleric folders that it's intended that each guild has a weakness, something that they don't do well (paraphrased).

Given the description of Utility (Defense Ability, which I take to mean barriers and damage resistance), I'd say MF is probably going to be Basic Utility, so everyone is going to have access to something, since AP spells aren't going anywhere, and probably going to be built on.

>>Also, there are no introductory or basic "utility" spells

Earth Meld

Kaeta

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 06:43 AM CDT
> Forestwalker's Boon
Anti-Aim and/or spot effect sounds really nice. The current functionality is just too limited to be useful.

> Compost
Will this retain the mana boosting effect when used for clean-up? To me, losing that would be one of the biggest hits we could possibly have.

I'm glad to see AoE and multi-hit TM, but I am disappointed that we aren't getting Enrage Undergrowth and/or Sprout Undergrowth.

-pete
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 08:34 AM CDT
I have to say in general I am quite pleasantly surprised with most of these rewrites/proposed changes. I do have a few questions and a request. Will the summoned creature still attack those in the room without sop/nature's balance still be attacked, or is it losing any attacking ability? I am curious how compost will manifest itself, now precisely? Is it possible to get a straight perception boost, possibly, please?

How will the new spirit vs whatever spells work? If they will be similar to current spells of that type, this is promising news for those of us who train charisma regularly and get it cheap, Elves, Prydaens and Kaldar, which a majority of Rangers are of those races.

Thank you so much for working on theses GM Zeyurn and whomever else is applicable, it is very much appreciated.

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 11:27 AM CDT
>> Forestwalker's Boon
>Anti-Aim and/or spot effect sounds really nice. The current functionality is just too limited to be useful.

Neither of these fit in really well with what the spell does now. Also generically speaking 'anti-aim' is troublesome to balance.

>> Compost
>Will this retain the mana boosting effect when used for clean-up? To me, losing that would be one of the biggest hits we could possibly have.

It will not. It actually won't be that big a hit either, since room mana will have a much diminished effect on your casting ability in Magic 3.0 compared to now.

>I'm glad to see AoE and multi-hit TM, but I am disappointed that we aren't getting Enrage Undergrowth and/or Sprout Undergrowth.

Again, this is less a 'All spells Rangers will ever have' and more a 'conversion of current spells plus a couple really easy to make things'

-Z
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 11:29 AM CDT
>> Athleticism (needs a better name)
>>Basic Augmentation. Athletics boost. This is Climb + Swim
Trek of the Amphibians
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 11:29 AM CDT
>Will the summoned creature still attack those in the room without sop/nature's balance still be attacked, or is it losing any attacking ability?

It won't attack, just draw things to it.

>I am curious how compost will manifest itself, now precisely?

It will rot the target away.

>Is it possible to get a straight perception boost, possibly, please?

SOTT.

>How will the new spirit vs whatever spells work?

There's been a previous post on the stats involved for all the spell contests in Magic 3.0 and it should be somewhere in the Abilities, Skills, and Magic folders.

-Z
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 11:49 AM CDT
>Neither of these fit in really well with what the spell does now. Also generically speaking 'anti-aim' is troublesome to balance.

At a minimum could BOON be expanded to the caster's group? Would it be possible to expand the capability of the spell to cover either all attackers in a natural setting or cover all non-supernatural (undead/cursed/extra-planar) foes?

At this point, the only reason I would get this spell would be as a pre-req.

>It will not. It actually won't be that big a hit either, since room mana will have a much diminished effect on your casting ability in Magic 3.0 compared to now.

I'll try to be hopeful then. I've invested a lot of my training time into magics... Harness is my 4th highest skill, for example. I am very happy to see a variety of TM options, really. I look forward to getting to see what I can do with multi-strike and AoE now that my TM is on par with primary weapons.

>Again, this is less a 'All spells Rangers will ever have' and more a 'conversion of current spells plus a couple really easy to make things'

Gotcha.

On BS, what does "occasional status protection" mean?

Is it intended that there is no warding spell on the list?

How are the buffs going to be for duration? I think I recall reading a post somewhere that said durations were likely to be increasing under M3.0?

-pete
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 12:00 PM CDT
Much gratitude for responding GM Zeyurn, thank you.

>Will the summoned creature still attack those in the room without sop/nature's balance still be attacked, or is it losing any attacking ability?

>It won't attack, just draw things to it.

hmm okay I will miss this aspect, perhaps we can get something based on a statistic or target magic later, or something with companions, uh least likely of the three, but maybe.

Is it possible we could perhaps please get it to stay up until it is dismissed, the caster is killed or the spell runs out and to have multiple ones in the room? The main function I can see it doing is to protect lower skilled Rangers, or some more vulnerable members of a hunting party or couple. Will Awaken Forest in any way prevent creatures from retreating or fleeing the area?

>Is it possible to get a straight perception boost, possibly, please?

>SOTT.

Sounds terrific

I was thinking of more a basic straight perception boost to benefit those who do not want to boost reflex as well.

I did not realize compost was losing its ability with mana, however, the number of times I have used it to my advantage to do that, I can pretty much count on my hands recently. Most of them have been in spar type situations where there were also Empaths and Bards available to help with mana anyway.

Not sure I am overly enthusiastic with regard to curse of the wilds, one of my favorite debuffs becoming esoteric, which I believe means held mana? Will it becomer easer to cast on some undead and those (critters and invaders) with major magic resistance then, please?

Does anyone have a link to where it was explained about spirit magic in 3.0, please?

Thank you again for your time and effort everyone involved.

-Armifer says consequences are how we honor evil roleplaying.
-Abasha says, "Personally, I love supporting evil characters, but not if they can't take their lumps too.
-Quarel says, "Not me I hit you because I like to hit."
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 12:08 PM CDT
>>...one of my favorite debuffs becoming esoteric, which I believe means held mana?

No, you're thinking of cyclic.

>>Does anyone have a link to where it was explained about spirit magic in 3.0, please?

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Post:Magic_3.0_Contested_Spell_Inputs_-_8/7/2010_-_19:27:04

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 12:43 PM CDT
This list looks nice. Congrats Rangers!

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 [Athletics Spell] 10/19/2010 02:31 PM CDT
Some suggestions/preferences for Athletics spell name:
1. Traverse the Wilds
2. Nature's Passage
3. Wilderness Mobility
4. Travel with the Pack
5. River and Rock
6. Aquasquirrelification
7. The "Climming Spell" - was already rejected I think.
8. The Joe Weider Bodybuilding Spell

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 [Athletics Spell] 10/19/2010 03:01 PM CDT
Surf 'n' Turf

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 [Athletics Spell] 10/19/2010 03:34 PM CDT
>> Raesh: Surf 'n' Turf

Excellent. Or:

Wet 'n' Wild

~Brian/Bahb
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 04:19 PM CDT
To add to my original post, another question would be, when should we expect to see these changes go in? I guess that is my hidden way of asking how far out is Magic 3.0.

Falker
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 04:21 PM CDT
We're still hoping for an end of this year / beginning of next release. We've got the majority of the hard parts done but there's a lot of parts.

-Z
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 04:21 PM CDT
On top of it Z! Good to hear, and super fast reply. Any chance you could answer a few of my questions from my original post?

Falker
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/19/2010 09:53 PM CDT
Any chance Awaken Forest spawn can be "assigned" to a specific person? I envision rangers leading groups through a dangerous wilderness and asking the spawn to protect a weaker person. I know empaths have their guardians, but not all of them have the spell. Also, would be nice to protect younger players.

What I would really like is the ability for multiple spawns in the same room and spawn wars. I'm sorry they are losing their attack function, but mine weren't very good anyway.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky And I am patiently waiting for you GMs to do the companion rewrite--just a reminder!
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 02:39 PM CDT
My big question is if we still have a spell that adds a stalking bonus. I noticed SOTT lost its stalking bonus but it isn't clear whether or not Earth Meld picked it up. I was wondering if we could get clarification on this.
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 02:47 PM CDT
>>My big question is if we still have a spell that adds a stalking bonus. I noticed SOTT lost its stalking bonus but it isn't clear whether or not Earth Meld picked it up. I was wondering if we could get clarification on this.

Both Hiding and Stalking are being combined into one skill called Stealth.

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 03:48 PM CDT
>Boon
Make it so we can run this spell in reverse if we want to and up the spawn/attract critters. I train to many weapons to want to ever scare something away from me.

>CS
Full of win.

>BS
Will bear strength clear current status effects or just prevent new ones? Please tell me running BS will clear poison/infection.

>COTC
Will this boost any melee weapon individually, or all melee weapons at the same time (like STW)?

>WOTP
While I'll be sad to see the discipline boost go, I went and looked at the contests for StatMagic 3.0 and then had a "cheezy evil grin" moment. I'm also excited about boosting a stat I'm penalized for training.

>Contested spells
Are you set on making Swarm, BB and HB be the same contest? As a Kaldar I'd love a Charm v. X contest...

P.S. If it's possible, please sneak in a passive spot ability/spell.
~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 03:52 PM CDT
Double post to keep the negative in one place:

Really? nothing to reflect our armor secondary status? BOOOO

~Hunter Hanryu
Yea yea, I know the initial release of Magic3.0 is light on new spells and mostly meant to update current spellbooks, but I had to get that off my chest.
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 05:48 PM CDT
>>Boon
>Make it so we can run this spell in reverse if we want to and up the spawn/attract critters. I train to many weapons to want to ever scare something away from me.

Would love to see that.

This was supposed to have been a ranger ability based on AL before it got given to Bards and Barbarians.

-pete
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 06:07 PM CDT
>>Boon
>Make it so we can run this spell in reverse if we want to and up the spawn/attract critters. I train to many weapons to want to ever scare something away from me.

Eh, I'm not really keen on duplicating these abilities everywhere, but it's at least more in keeping with what the spell does.

>>BS
>Will bear strength clear current status effects or just prevent new ones? Please tell me running BS will clear poison/infection.

I'm being deliberately cagey on what exactly this means because we haven't fully defined it.

>>COTC
>Will this boost any melee weapon individually, or all melee weapons at the same time (like STW)?

All.

>Contested spells
Are you set on making Swarm, BB and HB be the same contest? As a Kaldar I'd love a Charm v. X contest...

The problem is that Charm means you're seducing or luring or fooling the target, which is hard to reconcile with 'omgbees!'

-Z
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 06:14 PM CDT
Step one: Cover them in honey.

Step two...

Step three: OMGBees?

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 06:17 PM CDT
<<Step one: Cover them in honey.

Step two... *Insert Henry Winkler*

Step three: OMGBees?

-Raesh>>

Fixed.

GM Jaedren
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 06:25 PM CDT
Thanks for the replies Z. Kudos to all the GMs for how responsive you guys have been about these changes.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 07:57 PM CDT
Will the Climbing+Swimming retain the underwater breathing effect?

Can't wait to see the return of Plague.
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 08:37 PM CDT
Ok, I have magic and stealth question. I have heard a rumor that because of the magic changes, stealth is being "nerfed". Since stealth is the major ranger defense, I'm worried and would like to know if this change is true.

It seems to me that we are losing some of our stealth spells. I'm probably way off base (I'm watching baseball) but I am worried the ranger guild is going to take yet another hit with the changes.

Please tell me my perception is wrong (if that is indeed the case) and please explain to me if stealth is getting nerfed and if so, the justification for taking away a guild's major defense.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 09:12 PM CDT
read the posts on stealth changes there is a pro/con with hiding when the changes go live, You will get a bonus from attacking from hiding but if they can see you, your better off out in the open as you get penlized for being in hiding.
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 09:18 PM CDT
<<You will get a bonus from attacking from hiding but if they can see you, your better off out in the open as you get penlized for being in hiding.>>

That's what I thought. And it occurs to me now, do we get penalized for being seen while hiding now? If we aren't, why is this happening now and will it get rolled in by the skills combining or will it get rolled in with magic 3.0? I'm so confused (but it isn't hard to make me so : D).

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 09:27 PM CDT
Rangers will always get nerfed.

We're too hardcore and OP by nature of who we are.

But yeah, the magic changes are awesome.

-The Half Joking Halfing.

Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 09:29 PM CDT
i don't see the hiding <stealth> spells as being 'nerfed". the ability to walk around is being added to blend, so there is no real reason to keep natures canopy as essentially you'd have 2 spells that do the same thing. Although sott used to have a stalking boost, i'm hoping that earth meld will take over this function.

You've seen life through distorted eyes;You know you had to learn;The execution of your mind;You really had to turn;,the book is read,The end begins to show,The truth is out, the lies are old, But you don't want to know - Black Sabbath

Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/20/2010 09:41 PM CDT
SOTT had a stalking boost...

Aren't Stalking & Hiding Combining into "Stealth"?

So EM would be a Stealth booster?

I could be totally wrong. There have been so many posted changes coming my head is spinning.

-The Stalking... er Hiding? Halfing
Re: Ranger Magic 3.0 10/21/2010 06:13 AM CDT
>SOTT had a stalking boost...

>Aren't Stalking & Hiding Combining into "Stealth"?

>So EM would be a Stealth booster?

That is my impression. SOTT doesn't need to be a stealth booster anymore because hiding and stalking become one skill, so EM covers it both.

Speaking of EM, since the uber-bonus to the initial hide will likely be nerfed by the caps, has the overall effectiveness of the spell been increased? Does it still degrade over time (given as the offset for the super-bonus on the intial hide) or is it a static boost?

-pete
Prev_page Previous 1