Prev_page Previous 1
Companions 08/19/2010 04:43 PM CDT
Posted in Warrior Mage folders:

>>Armifer>>The basic idea is that you will gain access to a Cyclic spell that makes your familiar combat-ready, which will continue to be the case until the Cyclic spell is dropped or runs out of gas. In effect, the familiar becomes a form of "spell damage" in the Attunement cost sense, and not an independent damage multiplier on top of your weapon and spellcasting capabilities.

What about companion combat?
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 04:45 PM CDT
>What about companion combat?

Same idea, basically.

-Z
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 05:27 PM CDT
Does this mean that companions will be re-written to coincide with the release of that system?!
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 05:47 PM CDT
>>Does this mean that companions will be re-written to coincide with the release of that system?!

Getting quoted out of context is one of the few things on the forums that can genuinely irritate me, for exactly this kind of reason.

>>We've also compromised on a way to add meaningful familiar combat into the mix, though that is not a Magic 3 release goal.
>>However, I stress again this is not a Magic 3 release goal.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 06:16 PM CDT
>>Does this mean that companions will be re-written to coincide with the release of that system?!

Don't be silly.

Not only did you irritate Armifer, but you are very close to being kicked out of the Ranger Guild

Everyone Ranger knows that the order of releases are: Something, Something Else, Soon, After Soon, Really Soon, Nature's Pool, Everything Else, Companions.

Don't make me take your Ranger Cuff.

And to bring it back on topic, Ranger Companions as a cyclic spell ZOMG! The sky is falling.

-The Frisky Halfing
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 08:54 PM CDT
>>Same idea, basically.

Thanks, Z.

Was just curious if companions would be able to latch on and benefit from any future familiar work, since I believe the possibility of them working on the same sort of system was mentioned in the past.

>>Getting quoted out of context is one of the few things on the forums that can genuinely irritate me

My bad, did not think to capture the rest of the discussion.
Re: Companions 08/19/2010 11:02 PM CDT
Sorry... That was really meant more as a joke than anything else. Not that every ranger wouldn't be jumping for joy at the news of a real development schedule for the companion system. ;-)

I was hopeful, but I really did mean that as a joke.
Re: Companions 08/21/2010 12:25 PM CDT
It's been alluded to and stated in many ways that I am rewriting the Companions system entirely. This hasn't changed. It is going to happen. There is however no timetable I can provide at this point. My hope was and remains for this year, but I cannot make a guarantee.

Companions (and familiars) are NOT going to be spells. The alluded to cyclical spell is to enhance.

Said cyclical spells are not a part of the Companion 2.0 nor Magic 3.0 releases! They are entirely separate.

- GM Sithix

XXXXXX exclaims, "Oh goody more fire ants!"
Re: Companions 08/21/2010 12:55 PM CDT
Thanks for the input Sithix and for nipping the rumor buds well in the bud.

If animal lore stays in the game, I would like to make a suggestion. I have always felt that ANY interaction with our companions merited a small al experience. I know it would get abused but perhaps there could be a limit placed on how much interaction can happen in a certain time limit. The specific commands, petting, tickling and howling at your wolf (to hunt) for the older wolves were what I had in mind.

Oh and when you start...please check with Audacia who has extensive companion suggestions and perhaps, if we are lucky, Edhala's notes as well.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky
Re: Companions 08/23/2010 12:36 AM CDT
I did finally pick up another raccoon recently and I found that you don't get animal lore anymore from feeding and petting anymore. It's been at least 6 years since I've had a companion, but I don't remember ever having a raccoon pick things up and I had 21 animal lore, which I think was just from feeding and petting. (This would have all been between 2001 and 2004.) Did this change?
Re: Companions 08/23/2010 07:06 PM CDT
Did things change? Yup. Can get your little one to pick up little things from the get go. Happy boring training for AL. Signal little one to pick up x, until it is not interested, signal to sleep...wait 5 seconds, whistle for it, rinse and repeat and repeat and repeat...

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky who gets uninterested after about 14 times picking up stuff).
Re: Companions 08/23/2010 07:07 PM CDT
Oh and in addition to my last post, feeding DOES give AL experience...1 whole exp point.

Re: Companions 08/24/2010 10:23 PM CDT
Yeah, I noticed that I got AL today when feeding, which I don't remember seeing yesterday. Anyway, one whole cycle of "pick up sticks" and I got 1 more point of AL... You were right about the repeating.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 10:06 AM CST

2) Being able to locate people
3) Being able to track to located peoples
4) Pulling people from hiding (wish this would increase with skill)

Dislikes:
*) Everything Else (Literally)
re: Companions 12/31/2010 11:35 AM CST
>Likes:
1) Being able to deliver things

ditto.

like training up from a young stage to older more mature stages, just not the eternity it takes.

would like the more time you spend paying attention to your companion the more it bonds to you

would like different personalities for different types of companions

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
re: Companions 12/31/2010 11:45 AM CST
>Likes:
1) Being able to deliver things

I like these as well, with the caveat that 3 blows because current tracking blow. Having a wolf be passive search based on my character's current perception would be cool, until it started pulling my tourney team out of hiding also because of the current crappy state of group mechanics (ie be careful what you wish for).

I really hate feeding wolves. Raccoons are ok since you can pretty easily stash a dozen ears of corn when you're near a source, but meat, even with the extended timers, is just such a pain in the butt.

I'd like my horse to be my companion, and I want horses to be useful (ie, I want to use my horse to haul saddlebags full of boxes/skins/deadders back to town). IMO a ranger shouldn't stable his horse (or geld it for that matter) he should just whistle for it bam!

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
re: Companions 12/31/2010 12:03 PM CST
>like training up from a young stage to older more mature stages, just not the eternity it takes.

Presuming the growth concept remains in a different context, but initial companions are actually untrained adults? Just a random comment to stir discussion. :D

- GM Sithix
re: Companions 12/31/2010 12:29 PM CST
I like the 4 things listed previously and...

I LIKE feeding my wolf and would love it if the more time we spend with our companions, petting, feeding and generally hanging out, the more the companion would bond to us. AL is going away, but I would like some knowledge boost from learning to exist with a companion.

What I would love is a graduated bonding. At first the companion would be shy and unsure with you, but as you feed and pet and such, the more trusting it is of you.

I would love it if we could send our wolves to hunt and THEY REALLY DID HUNT! IE actually catch something and eat it similar to what panthers do as fams (you hear a rustling and a quick eep! and the panther comes back licking it's chops or something like that). Having said that, I also would like the option to feed the meat to a wolf every once in a while.

I would love it if we could get things or better, make things to help our companions and us...like slings to put our baby wolves in to free our hands on trails.

One of the things I love about baby wolves, is they yap and bark a lot. I would like the older wolves to do that too. Figure that they realize we aren't wolves, and so vocalize similar to how cats purr to vocalize around us. I usually rp that my wolf is either cheering me on as I hunt, or giving me critiques on how I hunt.

I really wish you reconsider allowing companions to distract critters and help us hunting that way. Seems to me it would be an instictive thing for them to want to watch our backs...after all, we mean food.

Besides the developing of trust with our companions, I absolutely want each companion to be unique in looks and character. Some might be more shy, some more vocal, some less so, some a little lazy, some not...you get the idea.

Would love it if we could make chew toys for our critters. Raccoons LOVE to chew (witness my Dad's garage after 2 raccoons got in it--they chew EVERYTHING). Wolves need to sharpen their teeth. Leather balls, leather "bones", leather "logs" could be constructed to provide teething...the insides could be filled with beans, corn husks and for a real treat for wolves, jerky.

I want more meat choices and more raccoon food. We could even make or buy raccoon food?

And in your spare time...would love a few companion obstacle courses. Be kinda fun to race em, though I suspect any respectable wolf would likely snort and bite the leg of any ranger wanted them to do so.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for the chance to input!

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky (grow Lucky grow--before the new companions come and I have to lose you!)
re: Companions 12/31/2010 12:34 PM CST
If your taking requests, I'd like to have a couple companion types that could steal based on bond and stealing skill.

Weasls, Rats, Crows are all a suggestion.

-The Shady Halfing
re: Companions 12/31/2010 12:36 PM CST
<<Presuming the growth concept remains in a different context, but initial companions are actually untrained adults? Just a random comment to stir discussion. :D>>

I would like babies to old growth to stay. It makes sense rp wise too. Figure adults could get by on their own so why choose us? As for wolves, there is a note in the ranger guild on why the wolves want to bond with us. The blood wolves have taken over their territory, eating their food and causing starvation in the packs. So the packs are willing to share their young with us rather than watch em die.

Perhaps both could be allowed? Sometimes when we went for a new wolf, an older wolf might come to us, but more often a baby one? But I really like raising them from babyhood on...just not how long it takes. If the length could be shortened, that would be ideal.

re: Companions 12/31/2010 01:02 PM CST
The negatives.

1. The length of time to progress a wolf from baby to young is maddening. My latest wolf took over 73 in game hours to get to the young stage.

2. Companion feeding has been somewhat improved but I can see the baby stage needing feedings but after that it just seems to be an obstacle.

3. The animal lore taught by natural interactions should be more than it is. We shouldn't need to resort to the pick up X spam.

4. It should take a lot more than one missed feeding to cause companion death/desertion. I think you said at the meeting that you wanted to change this.

The positives.

1. It is a very good RP tool with the delivery of small items. I always forget to track mine before I send it to locate anyone but this is mostly due from lack of use.

Suggestions. (Use or Discard, but you asked.)

1. Have different types of companions give a boost to some likeminded stat (raccoon - foraging (does this already?), (wolf - perception) (xxx - athletics) (yyy - stealth) or scouting.

2. Allow rangers as they progress the capability to befriend more than one companion type.

3. Stop the senility and death.

3b. Allow companions to have more types of adjectives, even alterable in rare occasions.

4. Let the normal interaction be a slow and steady source of animal lore.

I am sure there are better ideas out there but this is all I had.

Canyon

re: Companions 12/31/2010 01:21 PM CST
>It makes sense rp wise too. Figure adults could get by on their own so why choose us? As for wolves, there is a note in the ranger guild on why the wolves want to bond with us.

So the extent of the "companion" and "bond" is an animal that couldn't get along without you otherwise? Hmm. And here I thought an animal that was with you because they actually wanted to be (for whatever various reasons) was the better realization of the word, "companion".

>If the length could be shortened

Pretty unlikely if we stick with the whole birth to adult thing.

- GM Sithix

If you'd stop finding bugs I could code Companions 2.0.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 02:12 PM CST
>Pretty unlikely if we stick with the whole birth to adult thing.

I would prefer this go away. Give the companion some other random type adjectives instead.

>but meat, even with the extended timers, is just such a pain in the butt.

I realize someone went to the trouble of helping out with the meat boxes but still its a pain.

Canyon
re: Companions 12/31/2010 03:15 PM CST
I want my companion to be, well, my companion. I want to not just train it but for it to have a personality that will develop over time. I'd like it to respond when praised for doing something when I'm training it. I'd like there to be a wider variety, depending on species, of things it can help with. I'd rather that they become progressively more independent as far as taking care of their bodily functions, including eating. But I'd still like to be able to give them treats. I'd like them to help me do all the things I do from hunting to survival stuff to crafting stuff. I like how raccoons will help you forage, for instance. It's nice that wolves can help you find people. What they help with should make sense for that species. I really like someone's idea for horses, but I think horses might be code that can't be messed with.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 04:15 PM CST
>So the extent of the "companion" and "bond" is an animal that couldn't get along without you otherwise? Hmm. And here I thought an animal that was with you because they actually wanted to be (for whatever various reasons) was the better realization of the word, "companion".

Like this MUCH better than the current process.

>TILTINGVAGABOND's list

Pretty much what they said.

Would be great if we had more verbs that we could use to RP with the companion. Where we could get the companion to bark/growl/nip specific people/ourselves, get them to play with us, show affection, etc. in addition to the atmo messaging for the same kinds of behaviors.

Having a beseech that temporarily lets us see through the companions eyes / hear through the companion's ears. That would help a lot when locating people.

> I'd rather that they become progressively more independent as far as taking care of their bodily functions, including eating. But I'd still like to be able to give them treats.

This. Especially with the untrained adult idea... Seems like feeding them would be more for keeping them around longer than anything. Basically, if you don't feed your companion they might run off to hunt/forage regardless of what you want them to do, but if you do feed them, they stick around and hang out with you more.

You should still be able to signal them to go off an hunt/forage when you need to do stuff that might not be compatible.

Would be amusing to have some atmo messages for bringing a wolf or more dangerous companion into an urban area....

My character would be pleased with having towns folk running away if he showed up with a bear or something.

-pete
re: Companions 12/31/2010 04:16 PM CST
Oh, and forgot... Really, really want to get some kind of wild cat... Panther, cougar, mountain lion, whatever.

-pete
re: Companions 12/31/2010 04:41 PM CST
Thanks for sharing! And keep sharing!

- GM Sithix

re: Companions 12/31/2010 05:06 PM CST

>Oh, and forgot... Really, really want to get some kind of wild cat... Panther, cougar, mountain lion, whatever.

White/orange/stripped tigers!!!

I think it'd be neat if once you got a companion it was always with you, no way to make it go away... you could train it to hide when you hide, be calm (still for meetings and such, or track whatever down, if you kill something it can eat it depending on the companion, or have it go hunt/forage if it's hungry.
I like having wolves boost your perception... (like a police k-9 dog) tigers (or whatever large cat) boost your stealth/reflex (since they're really sneaky hunters)tie it in with spells... sott would go with tigers, wotp with wolves?

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
re: Companions 12/31/2010 05:11 PM CST
There are stories of adult wolves choosing to befriend someone. An adult wolf would be able to tell a young ranger was wet behind the ears and wouldn't necessarily be interested in being that ranger's companion. A skilled ranger would be able to attract an adult as opposed to a pup.

Maybe just make the lowest level companion one that ages? Let's say raccoons for simplicity's sake. Once a ranger has reached a certain level of expertise, the raccoon could choose to go off on its own and the ranger could possibly attract another that happens to be adult choosing a ranger companion.

I could easily see any animal that is also a hunter deciding to choose a ranger for a companion after 'admiring' the ranger's hunting and tracking skill - birds of prey, wolves, panthers, etc.

There could also be a class of companions who admire foraging skill - squirrels, raccoons, horses, antelope.

Just random thoughts...

~Faih

Three things that make a bard:
Playing of the lute
Knowledge of ancient lore
Poetic power.
- adapted from the Triads
re: Companions 12/31/2010 05:32 PM CST
One thing I would like to see is a much larger variety of animals. I'm assuming this was originally in the works since Aesry's guildleader appears to already have a big cat companion. I've been jealous since the day I first walked into that guild.

Another thing that would be interesting to see... I would love it if instead of us calling them out all the time if they would just stay out. (this is assuming we could have them go hunt and they would feed themselves occasionally that way.) This would seem more realistic to me. They would come and go as they please which I would think most animals would do anyways. The more we care for them and play with them the more they hang with us. Course leave the whistle because we still might want them out when they aren't out. I don't know if anyone else feels this way but if I didn't have to go to lang or crossing to get meat for my wolf every X amount of time I would have it out far more often.

Also as mentioned by others... please oh please please more meat options... it's silly how strange meat options are. Peccaries can be carved... boars can't be, cougars can but bobcats can't.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 05:56 PM CST
Having the functionality for both options would probably be the most desirable.
i.e. the companion would hang around, leave to go hunt, come back and do whatever else it does naturally up until the point that you manually DISMISS it. After you manually dismiss it it would not return until you WHISTLE for it to come back.

I know I personally would get pretty annoyed of having a creature hang around me 24/7, but maybe that's why I'm not a Ranger :P

__
~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
re: Companions 12/31/2010 06:05 PM CST
<<So the extent of the "companion" and "bond" is an animal that couldn't get along without you otherwise? Hmm. And here I thought an animal that was with you because they actually wanted to be (for whatever various reasons) was the better realization of the word, "companion".>>

OK, when I said it made sense rp wise for us to help companions and that adults could already help themselves so why choose us, after all we usually mean food was my attempt to see the companions from the wolf's point of view. The packs are concerned with surviving, and give us their wolves to raise because they can't all survive in their old territory due to the influx of bloodwolves (per the note in the ranger guild). At first, I think all animals learn to trust us by learning to eat by our hand. True for dogs cats and raccoons too! Never had real contact with a wolf though in real life. After a while they learn to want to be with us--but being essentially wild and not pets, they can leave us if they're disatisfied.

For MY ranger's perception of companions, the following expresses it better than I ever could.
<<I want my companion to be, well, my companion. I want to not just train it but for it to have a personality that will develop over time. I'd like it to respond when praised for doing something when I'm training it. I'd like there to be a wider variety, depending on species, of things it can help with. I'd rather that they become progressively more independent as far as taking care of their bodily functions, including eating. But I'd still like to be able to give them treats. I'd like them to help me do all the things I do from hunting to survival stuff to crafting stuff. I like how raccoons will help you forage, for instance. It's nice that wolves can help you find people. What they help with should make sense for that species.>>

Hope this clarifies things.

By the way, if you look at Zinaca, she has a wolf howling at a moon on her wrist, and her quote in her profile is "My wolf is my pack and I'm his" Or "Lucky is my pack and I'm his". That pretty much sums up Zina's thoughts about companions.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 06:08 PM CST
>i.e. the companion would hang around, leave to go hunt, come back and do whatever else it does naturally up until the point that you manually DISMISS it. After you manually dismiss it it would not return until you WHISTLE for it to come back.

I like that.

~Faih

Playing of the lute
Poetic power.
re: Companions 12/31/2010 08:59 PM CST
Having baby companions for an extended period of time is not necessarily bad. The problem is when they are pains in the neck, easy to lose, take a lot of attention, and have no capabilities until then. I really do like the whole feeling of the baby growing up with you, but it would be nice if their functionality was based more on this training than age.

I would also like to see companions be a bit unique. A little bit different looks and personalities to them. Maybe have their personalities be shaped by your interactions with them as a baby. I know some people would love to have cute snuggly companions, and others are much more interested in the ferocious and imposing. It would be nice to cater to both crowds.

Tsarenzi
re: Companions 01/01/2011 01:08 AM CST
All good comments.

The "initial animal" being older to start vs being a "baby": it'll be one way or the other.

Animals liking you for easy food is going to happen at any age range realistically. In pretty much every observable extant species of animal, preference is given to the young, weak, and elderly in hunting because it's easier and more likely to feed ya another day. Free meat with little to no effort? Sweeeeet!

Nothing that has been said about desires for a solid connection with the companion are in opposition to either method. Although I do think you'll find more in the "initially adult" method. Anyway, they'd grow with you at the same rate and the same things would be trainable. This may be "not how it's always been done" but the only logical "miss" here is probably missing a "cute and cuddly" stage with yappin' wolves and shy 'coons or whatever.

As I've already said, I won't be doing baby -> adult companions without an at least somewhat loosely realistic time length, which is at least what it is now, or longer.

As to wolves, they are pack hunters because they are large animals that require more sustenance than small animals can provide. Pack hunting means being able to take down much, much larger prey.

As to meat availability, we're sort of working on that on the side right now, but it's getting hit from two directions: getting meat 'more available' and companions finding food on their own. At least, if we keep babies, in the older development stages.

Also, don't mistake "development stages" for "doesn't age". (Although you'd be right to presume they won't grow into old age and die no matter what we do. Kind of like you.)

- GM Sithix

re: Companions 01/01/2011 02:33 AM CST
Would like to echo requests for a huge variety of appearances within each species, if that seems both feasible and logical, both in the short description and potentially in the long description. And/Or the ability to get different "flavors" of a species by acquiring the creature in a different area of the game (for instance black wolves in one place and white ones in another, small vs. large, et cetera).
re: Companions 01/01/2011 03:24 AM CST
I'm not sure I can do "huge" variety out of the gate by my definition, but if your definition of huge is "more than 'a wolf'", as in variation within the species, then that's already part of the plan and has been since day 1. Flavors of species, that sort of thing.

What you mention about location... well I won't say anything about that yet.

I'll say that the fur/coat thing, look description variance, and 'demeanor' stuff folks have been hinting at has been part of the plan from day 1.

I'm not sure I want to do a lot with the short description you see in rooms for when we get several in the same room. "A grey wolf" should be sufficient. We don't want the You also see: stuff to become 30 lines long with 15 companions in a room. Most the rest will probably be found within look / describe / appraise / whatever else we decide to do.

- GM Sithix

re: Companions 01/01/2011 04:29 AM CST
I like the idea of the animals having personalities, maybe align the companions demeanor to work with the Rangers. ( I say this with no idea of the difficulty of actually doing it.) So if a Dwarf Ranger was generally leery of a certain race, or person, the companion would be as well, sensing his owner's emotions.
re: Companions 01/01/2011 04:43 AM CST
>The "initial animal" being older to start vs being a "baby": it'll be one way or the other.

What bugs me about the baby companions is there's no benefit to having them out and around you...period. If there's no benefit, why bother?

They're skittish and require a lot of attention which is ok except that it results in them running away a lot. They do nothing except make noise and hide.

How about letting them forage at least a little when young? Or boost foraging when they are around? Let them fetch sticks, balls, or toys until they've ripped those up. Let you teach it to do tricks. Let it learn to respond to signals - like telling it via hand signal to deliberately yank on someone's pants leg.

There just should be some benefit and some interaction available outside of petting and feeding. Otherwise it makes no sense.

~Faih

Playing of the lute
Poetic power.
re: Companions 01/01/2011 07:12 AM CST
> As I've already said, I won't be doing baby -> adult companions without an at least somewhat loosely realistic time length, which is at least what it is now, or longer.

I had a baby raccoon for literally 6 in game years. That's not realistic at all. If you want them to age "realistically" they need to age when they're not in your lap. Wild animals rarely stay in the "so helpless I can't even find a leaf to eat on my own" stage for very long.

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
http://tinyurl.com/HanryuTanning
Prev_page Previous 1