Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 09:58 AM CDT
Any bigger rangers play around with the new armor update and how it affected you in your chosen armor?

-Ranger Rhicter
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 10:14 AM CDT
All of your armor:

a rich sable cowl (perfect garg)
some rich sable leathers (perfect firecats)
a charcoal grey buckler (capped croc)
some leaf green gloves (standard cloth)

If you were only wearing some rich sable leathers your maneuvering would be insignificantly hindered and your stealth would be minimally hindered.
But considering all the armor and shields you are wearing or carrying, you are currently insignificantly hindered and your stealth is insignificantly hindered.

I think it went down, not positive though.

Leather Armor: 436 94% mind lock (34/34)
Cloth Armor: 225 51% thinking (5/34)

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 11:27 AM CDT
>Any bigger rangers play around with the new armor update and how it affected you in your chosen armor?

I determined what % hit evasion was taking from hinderance just 2 weeks ago in various set-ups, I'll do it again tonight to see which direction if any things went.
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 12:37 PM CDT
Not a ton of movement for Rangers. About the only thing worth saying is that you can evade in LC and plate armors easier than you used to. If for some reason you decide stealth really isn't your thing.

As Dartenian mentioned, you're one of the guilds that did technically see an armor hindrance increase in one area, but that area is... bone armor. Woe.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 01:45 PM CDT
Not sure if I qualify as a "big ranger" but I didn't see any difference in my hinderance but I wear all leathers so...

And for once I'm sooo glad I'm a ranger.

Zinaca and her wolf, Lucky who thinks taking off skin and fur is stupid (he looks at me funny when I dress and undress like, Pack mate keep your fur on you idiot!)
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 02:23 PM CDT
>>Not a ton of movement for Rangers. About the only thing worth saying is that you can evade in LC and plate armors easier than you used to. If for some reason you decide stealth really isn't your thing.

Secondary armor req ftl, although I am wondering if it would not be better to just go ahead and backtrain the couple hundred ranks of shield and forget LC.

That has nothing to do with the changes though. Well, I suppose shield will be even easier to use when it is not hindering evasion.
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 02:37 PM CDT
>Secondary armor req ftl, although I am wondering if it would not be better to just go ahead and backtrain the couple hundred ranks of shield and forget LC.

The stealth hinderance from LC is small enough you should only ever notice it in a PvP situation, so there is no reason to drop it. Though backtraining shield is arguably worthwhile regardless.
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/01/2010 06:45 PM CDT
hey now! i use bone armor, but it really didnt do much to it. (though it may or may not be a ~230 rank difference between leather and bone)...i guess i really dont use it :/

fear the rangromancers.

You turn a deep ebony lockpick case set with smooth onyx plates labeled "Graverobber" in the light, admiring it.
Re: Ranger Armor Update 07/02/2010 12:27 PM CDT
Armifer,

Can you guys tell us if the armor mixing penalty changed at all with this armor modification?

-Ranger Rhicter
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/26/2010 09:54 PM CDT
<<>>Not a ton of movement for Rangers. About the only thing worth saying is that you can evade in LC and plate armors easier than you used to. If for some reason you decide stealth really isn't your thing.

Secondary armor req ftl, although I am wondering if it would not be better to just go ahead and backtrain the couple hundred ranks of shield and forget LC.>>

Maybe I'm just bitter because I'd have to backtrain a 100 ranks if I ever want to circle again, but a secondary armor req makes 0 sense. A ranger generally wants the best protection to hinderance ratio where survivals are considered, which pretty much limits us to leather/bone. Now weapon secondary reqs actually make sense, sometimes you want an edge, sometimes blunt, sometimes ranged... but when would a ranger ever say... "hmm, maybe I should be wearing plate to fight this particular creature.." never going to happen. As for shields, in the past we never had motivation to use them... too limited. Maybe now and in the future not so much... but we still only have 185% stance to allocate. Anyway, it's a stupid req that should go away. If people still want to train for extra tdps, fine, but from an rp and just plain practical standpoint, it doesn't make sense for rangers as a guild and I would have been outraged when the req came down the pipe. As it is, I'ma just shuffle off back off into the wilderness for another extended walkabout.

Dritz - out
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 12:06 AM CDT
>>Maybe I'm just bitter because I'd have to backtrain a 100 ranks if I ever want to circle again

I just did this because I wasn't happy with my survival setup. I haven't circled since late June, but I can next week if I feel like it.

I would answer the rest, but from what I read it just sounds like you're not interested in what is best for the guild as a whole, but only for yourself and what it would do to your character.

That isn't looking at the big picture. In fact, it's just selfish.

I will continue to get blunter on this topic until people get the message or my posts contain enough profanity to be removed. - Armifer
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 12:16 AM CDT
Came across this when catching up on announcements. Shield as a secondary armor maybe makes sense. But since evasion will always be our primary defense, it makes sense to specialize in one armor and focus on that for maximum benefit.

Oh, and as for listing bone armor in the previous post, forget it. Tanned leather is still where the magic happens.

<<(1) Hinderance due to shields will no longer penalize evasion. Instead, the shield hinderance penalty will be applied to the shield skill itself. Shields have an existing penalty based on the weight of the shield and other factors that will be removed in favor of just using shield hinderance.

(2) The skill needed for minimum hinderance will no longer be static. The higher your evasion skill, the more armor skill you will need in order to minimize your hinderance. While you will never need to keep your armor skill even with (let alone ahead of) your evasion, the more you let it trail the more likely it is you will begin to become hindered by the armor. This insures that the armor skill is always relevant.>>
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 06:38 AM CDT
As someone who has trained shield since the beginning, I can definitely say it has always been more valuable than your comments indicate. However, I freely admit that may also have something to do with the fact that I've always had extremely good MO for my offense.

Defenses are like lego bricks, an interlocking set of them is far stronger than a narrow stack.

Rangers are armor secondary. Our requirements in that area have been quite thin. I'm looking forward to the new skill re-arrangement that is coming since it promises to bring new options to that skillset. Hopefully this will allow our requirements to be more reflective of the relative importance for us and equally bring more benefits as armor secondary.

Oh, and regarding LC not being an option if you are stealth focused... I disagree. As long as you use leather for your torso armor, LC is extremely viable for stealth.

-pete
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 11:27 AM CDT
As Armor Secondary, you will continue to be required to learn more than one armor.

-Z
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 11:49 AM CDT
>As Armor Secondary, you will continue to be required to learn more than one armor.

While I already train three (leather, LC, and shield) is there any chance that we'll be picking up some more defensive skills in the armor skillset from the skill changes/additions? More options are always better...

-pete
Re: Ranger Armor Update 08/27/2010 07:44 PM CDT
>>As Armor Secondary, you will continue to be required to learn more than one armor.

I was hoping that would include some skill other than worn armor or shield, at least.