Has it been so long? 02/21/2017 10:14 PM CST
I was thinking about this game and how long I've been playing (though I had to take breaks for personal reasons from time to time). I've been playing this game since 1997 at least! Perhaps it was the last part of 1996? I remember it must have been close to the web migration cuz folks were still gloating over their web keys : ).

So I was wondering, anyone else out there played longer and/or played this game continuously for a long time?

20 years of DR! We should have a celebration in game!

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky who always loves to party
Re: Has it been so long? 02/22/2017 01:34 AM CST
Sorry, not me. I started playing sometime around '97 or '98. I know at the time the province of Illithi or Qi'Reshalia didn't exist yet, of course nor did Fornsted. The highest circle Bard listed at the time in the Bard guild was only circle 20, and I had to pay by the minute to play on Yahoo!. I stopped playing on 3 different occasions. The first 2 times was due to having to pick in life what was more important to pay for on my budget and, sorry to say, Dragonrealms was not a priority. The last time I quit was due to frustration over what I felt was gwethsmasher abuse, but I returned, and when I returned there had been major changes to the gweths. I was an Estate Holder for a short time sometime in the late 90s early 2000s, I just recently became an Estate Holder again. Some characters that I had whose names I remember were Salbir, Eyedrop, and Chippy (not to be confused with the GM of the same name). I honestly don't know the name of my first DR character. My fist Simutronics character was a Bartlby in GS3 who was named from the Herman Melville short story, "Bartlby, The Scrivener." When I tried to use the same name in DR, it had already been taken, and I think the owner of that character later became a GM as well.

It would be nice for Simutronics to give something special to loyal consistant players who have stayed 20 years, or at the very least when the game hits 25 years, as just a way to show appreciation for those who consistently stuck around.

The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Bertrand Russell
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/search_results.html?q=love
Re: Has it been so long? 02/22/2017 03:46 AM CST

Started in 96, I believe. Came back in 2000. Left again at the end of 2001. Came back in 2007? and am now back again. Still playing my very first character ever who just made it to Circle 12. Circling was VERY hard back in the day. LOL It's so nice that there are so many of us "old timers" around! :D
Re: Has it been so long? 02/22/2017 06:04 PM CST
I started in '96, before the Bard guild came out. I was an Empath for a day or two but became frustrated on learning that I couldn't hunt, as I could with my Empath in GS. So I returned to GS.

When the Bard guild came out I saw an ad on AOL and thought it looked interesting. I believe I switched over full time to DR in February '97, playing a Bard. I played until around 2003, when the Outcast War really threw a wrench in my RP experience. Returned around 2007 and have been playing since (wow, this just made me feel old).

I definitely remember the times of pay by the minute. I racked up at least one $300 bill and my parents were NOT happy. Remember all those "free AOL for 100 hours!" cds? I convinced my parents to switch to AOL when it was only at 15 hours because hey, 15 free hours of DR.

>>It would be nice for Simutronics to give something special to loyal consistant players who have stayed 20 years, or at the very least when the game hits 25 years, as just a way to show appreciation for those who consistently stuck around.

I had a friend who played straight for 10 years from around the web time as well, and she DID get some kind of reward from Simu, which was nice. She wasn't premium either.

- Navesi
Re: Has it been so long? 02/27/2017 07:02 AM CST

18 years (give or take) for me. Same character I had back when I first started. I had an overdramatic fit of pique and rerolled my main. I rolled her back and Rawb <sigh> helped me build her back up by continuously throwing her into crocs. I have been plugging away ever since. I may take frequent breaks, but I always end up coming back. Seems like yesterday when everyone was trying to make their own DR website. I gotta say Elanthipedia nailed it.
Re: Has it been so long? 02/27/2017 02:11 PM CST

I think we started in same year 96. I Played a tiny bit in Genie and was hooked. Restarted during AOL Web Migration. Played a strong 7 years. Left Came back last year had a blast, wishing all that time I had been continuously playing. I've now been traveling the past few months and coming back next month. Made some great friends during that time. I wouldn't change it for the world.

Regards,
Re: Has it been so long? 03/01/2017 01:18 PM CST

Like many I started in the mid-late 90's. For me it was 1997 I had just gotten a free issue of game informer and there was a full page ad for a text based game that showed character creation and changing their appearance using a mirror. My first character lasted 7 minutes and was named Novaexplorer. Needless to say he did not last long. Met Londan, sardonica, sureshooter, and Flamejen not long after became a ranger and have been hooked ever since. Also like a lot of others I have taken breaks and returned often. Met my wife of 15 years in Dragonrealms as well, so this place holds a pretty special place for me.

Long live Dragonrealms.
Re: Has it been so long? 03/04/2017 06:32 PM CST

My parents also did not appreciate the AOL bill. $20 for 5 hours was it? I got into DR after playing a Star Trek chat room based RP stuff. Ten Forward Lounge, anyone? My middle school aged sister was more into the fantasty stuff (Red Dragon Inn I think?) and introduced me to DR. Think I took two longer breaks.

Jalika
Re: Has it been so long? 03/04/2017 08:25 PM CST

I came to DR from a Pern RP chat forum. I had strictly budgeted internet time. That was rough! LOL
Re: Has it been so long? 03/05/2017 10:35 AM CST

I can recall both the Red Dragon Inn on various BBS Door Game boards and the Star Trek sims in AOL. I tended to hang out more in Yahoo rooms in my DR heyday though.
Re: Has it been so long? 03/07/2017 07:34 PM CST
Started out playing Gemstone at some point in the mid 90's and then moved over to DR when it opened up in (96?). Been playing off an on since; more off than on over the past 10 years. Oh, the AOL chat rooms, what a blast from the past.

Quidri
Re: Has it been so long? 03/15/2017 05:15 PM CDT
I was 01, but Cap's has been arround since the game first came out, as another char, but still she's been playing that long

~Purnay
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
Re: Has it been so long? 08/09/2017 01:42 PM CDT

I started in 97 or 98? I rolled up Morgar Morgarson a ranger and I knew nothing of the game. I still remember the first two people to help me along were Scornt and Jaxson(sp?) I would see them from time to time for a few years then they faded away it seemed. My closest friends then were Crayzeke, Morinda, and Dwohlin, two rangers and a barb, we had some great adventures. I left in 03 and sold Morgar thinking I would NEVER return. We all know that never works. I came back in 07 and took over ownership of Rizitel Zydean. We've had some ups and downs along the way and I never really became close friends with anyone IG like I did when I first started. Still pretty much a loner I do interact on occasion (mostly good) Seems to be a game of numbers anymore and I'm guilty of this as well.
Re: Has it been so long? 03/07/2018 10:08 AM CST
Like many of you, I've been in and out of Elanthia for over 20 years. A friend knocked on my door one day and said "Hey, there's this awesome RP text game I think you'd like that's in open beta now, it's called DragonRealms." That was the summer of '96. I quickly rolled a character, took the first stats I got (not knowing you could re-roll til you got the best stats), raced off to find the Ranger guild and eagerly began exploring the Crossing.

I spent nearly a decade immersed in Elanthian ranger life and got waaaay too addicted to the game, but also made some great friends - a few of which I keep in touch with today. I still have fond memories of the wonderful people who helped me in the beginning - and some who weren't so helpful but entertaining nonetheless (ahem, Snare LOL). I still smile when I remember how some wonderful cleric helped me after my first death - I can't recall her name exactly, only that it started with a V... and of course dear Azante who was always coming from the far reaches of the land to rezz me after I wandered into yet another place that I had no business hunting.

For me, DR has always been more about the people and the wonderful encounters and conversations we had, than it was about the game itself. Many of my old friends are gone, or were when I left a few years ago, but perhaps I'll see some of them again, and I certainly hope to find new ones. Elanthia brings out the best in most of us, and like so many of you, I, too, just can't stay away. I've decided to return again, for the umpteenth time, and hopefully reignite my passion for DR.

Long live Elanthia!

Amberyll
Re: Has it been so long? 03/07/2018 06:42 PM CST
Welcome back. If you haven't found the discord yet, let me encourage you to make an account and check it out.

https://discordapp.com/invite/012CV9CNB6YximtAZ

~Hunter Hanryu
>You know how map makers use to be "Here be dragons"? Old DR code is like that. Except instead of dragons there are Lovecraftian horrors made out of well-intentioned psuedo-code.~Raesh
Re: Has it been so long? 03/10/2018 12:41 PM CST
Hanryu,

I have an account with Discord, how do I add the chat for Dr?

Blufalcon
Re: Has it been so long? 03/10/2018 02:22 PM CST

Never mind I figured it out. Their help FAQ's are not a lot of use to my situation.

Bluefalcon