Found this trailmarker... 09/15/2015 03:28 AM CDT
...and decided to follow it back to DR!

Just poking my head in for a bit. So much has changed...
-magic (no spells, where'd SOP go? Ha! More magic skills other than PM and TM...)
-crafting (uhh what to focus on)
-skills (where did my 300+ ranks of animal lore go? Missle and melee masteries?)
-combat... (everyone needs a shield and parry stick?)
-items...
-Fifth Province and Boar Clan is finally open!!
-Crossing Guild, everyone justs collects and braids now?
-Free to Play! With microtransactions!

Well I guess this will be like the AOL days where I just played to discover stuff (I hunted crazed madmen until circle 7 and didn't even know about skinning). Any other rangers older than dirt still around "scouting?"

-Kivian Dakkard, will be reading Elanthipedia I guess.
Re: Found this trailmarker... 09/15/2015 08:36 AM CDT
I brought back my older than dirt ranger who remembers the Crossing guildhall as a very vibrant and fun place to be between hunts. I'm speaking of being inside the guild, not sitting outside.

I'm still working out how new things work and have some old items that don't work. So...you're not alone.
Re: Found this trailmarker... 09/15/2015 11:28 AM CDT
>>-magic (no spells, where'd SOP go? Ha! More magic skills other than PM and TM...)

Yea, everyone got their spells wiped at the start of 3.0, just have to re-pick them. There are magical feats also so don't spend all your slots on spells.

SoP was replaced with Instinct IIRC, there was a problem with Empaths and Rangers both having it in their spellbooks. More magic skills = more TDPs, enjoy them.

>>-crafting (uhh what to focus on)

Go play with all the different skills and disciplines within those skills to figure out what you like. Forging is pretty much complete at this point while all the other skills only have 1 or 2 disciplines released right now. Enchanting hasn't been released at all as a skill yet, so keep that in mind. All crafting skills will have 3 disciplines under them once everything is completed.

The most important thing to do with crafting is do NOT pick a career or hobby right now. They are a permanent choice that is not required to do any type of crafting. You can go from 0-1750 ranks in any crafting skill without a career/hobby and never have a problem. If you just really, really like a discipline you can consider it, but my suggestion would be to wait till more crafting is released before choosing one.

>>-skills (where did my 300+ ranks of animal lore go? Missle and melee masteries?)

Animal lore was combined with Outdoorsmanship along with Foraging IIRC. Outside of companions the skills was useless, and even with companions the skill was still useless since it did nothing but gate which companion you can get.

The weapon masteries main purpose at this point in time is to ease backtraining. When you make an attack with a weapon the proper mastery skill is factored into the calculation along with the weapon skill. As an example with 800+ melee mastery and 200 in a weapon skill I'm able to hit and kill a critter that is in the 450-650 skill range. You no longer have to go back to rats to train a new weapon when you have hundreds of ranks in similar weapons. In the future I believe they will have weapon feats tied to them.

>>-combat... (everyone needs a shield...

Yes.

>>...and parry stick?)

Not really, it's just more of a safety net for when you are in a parry stance and put your blade away. The new combat system is built on the basis that you are always using 2 defenses so if you are using only evasion with nothing to parry with you are going to get hurt quickly.

There are plenty of people willing to help here on the forums and in the game so if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.
Re: Found this trailmarker... 11/02/2015 06:01 PM CST
I came back a few weeks ago and spent an hour or two going into brain-overload with the changes (mostly because of age, not because the changes themselves).

I finally gave up and started shooting stuff. So far so good.

Ciek

Hug a Ranger.
Re: Found this trailmarker... 11/10/2015 01:57 PM CST
Welcome back Ciek! I have found it best (to save my sanity) to read/learn the changes for a bit and then do something I already know how to do--usually kill stuff! And gradually I add in the changed stuff to my routines. I still haven't explored shaping or outfitting much so I just mosey along doing a bit of this and a bit of that. If I had tried to understand remember and use all the changed stuff at once....information overload, shutdown is imminent!

Zinaca and her young wolf, Lucky (the 14th!)